Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

You couldn't grok my race car, but you dug the roadside blur.

V-Men posted:

Roddenberry must have gotten kookier with age. In TOS he had Nichelle Nichols read for the parts of Spock and Bones because he hadn't decided that their characters would be male.

I think it was senility or drug abuse that did this. I did 50 year mission on audiobook and Gene apparently went from telling a tv station in the South to literally gently caress off when they complained about Uhura, to being super racist and sexists in meetings during TNG.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I haven’t watched since my last binge in like... 2010?

It’s even better this time around. I love how Katsulas just chews the gently caress out of the scenery when G’kar is pissed. MOLAAAAAARIIIIIII

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't know if it's so much unrealistic as in impossible as it is just unrealistic as in people stopped caring about the moon. It's probably possible to put down some buildings up there and even send people to stay there for years at a time, but there isn't really interest for it so far as I know. Everybody's just speculating about getting a human being to Mars.

Sci Fi where humanity's out there living in space just kinda implicitly assumes that there's a good reason to stay on some other celestial body, but so far as I know, nobody's really found one yet.

Reminds me of when colonies get brought up in Star Trek. The colonies are usually on pristine M class planets with like... a few thousand on them? Stargate too, usually a village cantered around the gate and little else on an entire planet.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

There's all kinds of film flaws that show up on the Amazon Prime content.

I actually kind of like it, it's like an old school movie.

Also lol in Season 2 Ep 20 the guy who did the Civ 5 tech quotes is in this episode as a Narn.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 04:30 on Jul 8, 2018

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Season 3 Episode 8:

It starts out with Sheridan and Garbaldi astonished that Ivanova has been served bacon and scrambled eggs. A tremendous luxury, since you can't get them out to Babylon 5 due to distance.

In the exact same episode "It's two days travel time to Earth space". :psyduck:

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I also like they weave it into the story later but using the markab gate as a weapon, because it's not being used by anyone by scavengers now. This is far better than having an entire species wiped out and it not having any kind of consequences later.

I'm getting toward mid-season 4 and it's so much better the second time around/now that I'm older. Is season 5 worth watching? I just stopped at Sleeping in Light last time.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

William Edgers in S4E16 used the Russians as example of handing over power willingly to strongmen, in 1917 and 2013.

They arguably did when they allowed Medvedev to hand the Presidency back to Putin, in 2012 :stare:

I know this is total confirmation bias but Russia seems to attract all these weird little predictions. Ghost Recon 1 in 2001 depicted Russians invading South Ossetia in 2008, they ended up doing exactly that.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I do like how the Vorlons were not the obligate good guys, and in fact were fairly evil themselves. It is a nice twist and change of pace for the ancient races to be really two sides of the same coin and the other races are the actual protagonists.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Darth Freddy posted:

A haha just watched this episode yesterday and yeah G'kar looked Tottaly defeated and beaten down then comes up with that bad rear end statement.

Just watched the episode where the defiant Whitestar was introduced, forgot how cool the ship was.

Makes me want to go black and play wing comander prophecy and freespace decent so I can kill some not shadows.

There’s a free Freespace 2 total conversion called The Babylon Project where you can play with B5 ships and even a few campaigns

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the main problem with a prequel is that there wouldn't be a central venue for all the diplomacy. I would like another show in a similar spirit though.

Also on my sci-fi wishlist is a show with proper lighting and not these poorly-lit rooms with improbable bright blue lights highlighting shadows.

Yeah that's the thing with this show. The sets are so dark, especially down below. I mean I get why, but you would think lighting up service areas would be a priority and more LEDs would probably be a rounding error for the fusion reactor production. Especially considering tons of people live down there and they'd like to be able to see. Homeless people today figure out how to get power off street lights.

Speaking of the reactor, I love how it's not a focal point of action at all, and you can't even access it easily. There's only one episode where it appears.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I said come in! posted:

Zack Allen just wanted a few extra credits each month, now he is a space Nazi. :(

Evil is mundane

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

Pick posted:

It's surprising in the sense that what JMS did was totally above and beyond what anyone had ever done with respect to planning a long TV story with like infinite contingency plans.

compare to say, the lies of the new battlestar galactica

It really does boggle the mind that these creative types intend to tell a narrative.... but fly totally by the seat of their pants episode to episode and end up painting themselves into corners.

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

I like how Earth and humanity, unlike in pretty much every other sci-fi show and game, is more of a malevolent force than anything else most of the time. It doesn't even get better with time, since they're actively trying to discredit the ISA later by manipulating history and then they go and destroy themselves

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

skooma512
Feb 8, 2012

hope and vaseline posted:

The main rule I think was that as elder races, they leave each other alone direcly. However, the Shadows' philosophy of strength through chaos never prevented them from openly attacking the younger races to force them to respond. The Vorlons' philosophy of strength through order put themselves in a sort of non-interference model, but they got through with the loophole by seeding the younger races with ways to respond to the Shadows, via telepaths. It's almost like a secretive arms-race they were supplying them with.

Openly engaging a shadow fleet was taboo because both races never actually engaged each other prior to that, and then all the rules went out the window.

I do like how the Vorlons weren't just consummate good guys. They used the younger races as pawns and didn't give a poo poo about them at all.

skooma512 fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Dec 2, 2018