Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Given that there is no expectation of privacy in Minbari society, I'd say they rut like high schoolers in quick discreet ways for pleasure and in highly ritualized scenarios like a special minbari-vulva/penis hybrid shaped gently caress bed.

Edit: Sempai noticed me!

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Dec 29, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

I'm fairly new to the show, except seeing episodes during first airing. I'm watching some episodes for a 2nd time now, and I remembered wondering this but not remembering an in universe answer.

How does hyperspace navigation work? You need the coordinates of the jump gate but also ships can jump and make jump points for ships without jump ability? You need the coordinates of both the gate you leave from and where you're going? How do you course correct?

There's no answer for how any of that is meant to make internal sense right? That one episode with the explorer ship makes it quite confusing.

https://youtu.be/4Ugebzq3juE

Go read a technical manual or something by sexpest Asimov.

Or in a language you might understand: "This ain't that kinda show kid."

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

It kind of is though. There's a lot of bits of Babylon 5 that kind of trade on the world being more "scientifically grounded" than the other popular sci-fi it was competing with.

Strong disagree?

I pitched it at the time as "WWF but for nerds" to my male friends and "A soap opera for men" to my female friends. Star Trek is the one with the technical manuals and poo poo. B5 has well thought out poo poo like the Starfury. But the actual plot and everything else? Pure spectacle.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

ultrafilter posted:

All of the human technology except for tachyon-based communication was intended to be something that could actually exist based on what we understood in the 90s. Alien technology is magic though.

So?

Name the plotlines solved by technology outside S1. Heck, name them including S1. B5 exists in a world of raw emotion. It's a world much like ours. Rationality and science exist. Sure. But aside from things like spaceflight and medicine and weapons they don't really *do* anything. What impacts people on their day-to-day are social and emotional issues.

Rationally speaking, could Earth Force eliminate starvation in Down Below? Almost certainly. The show calls out this callousness. But poverty isn't a technical issue, it is a social one, whose foundation is compassion (and the lack thereof).

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Technology in B5 is background. It's LoTR with the serial numbers filed off. You could ground it in fantasy and the series would not fundamentally change. You could set it in the present and, well, you'd have to squint but I could see a "Lear in the May Administration" take of B5 in the present working well.

Like, yeah, they did their research. They also have costumes. What does that have to do with the narrative?

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

You are the one who brought up plot. Everyone else is just saying that B5 is closer to science as we knew it in the 90s than most other sci fi. And you are incorrect saying that it isn't.

Sure.

The science also doesn't matter, so asking questions about how hyperspace works aren't relevant to the show.

I was just saying that isn't what B5 is about. As my link said, "If you are wondering how he eats and breathes and other science facts, just repeat to yourself it is just a show I should I really just relax".

Asking questions about the finer point of angular momentum don't really belong in what is basically a televised stage show.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
A show that features: transmigration of souls, changing species, FTL that travels at the speed of plot, instantaneous FTL communication, immortal beings, time travel, literal magic and angels.

Goons: This is a show that is very grounded in our understanding of science. Except for artificial gravity that the aliens have -- that's a little out there.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
There is a lot of fat that B5 could trim to work in a more compressed format while also preserving some thematic episodes (or at least thematic parts). Having the human religious order as a minor grounding element (and shaggy dog for the abbey framing the story) would let you organically jncorporare most of those stories as B/C plots stretched over several episodes.

The problem is that the prestige format forces that kind of decision which means you end up with Disco/Picard. There are a lot of unforced errors in those shows so maybe.

I'm not sure that the tone of B5 would work as prestige TV. Like, genocide and colonization is heavy stuff. They need time to breathe.

There is also a lot of grey in B5 already. Like, obviously the Centauri are monsters but the Narn also hosed around and found out. Revanchists getting hoisted by their own petard is something you can't get too upset about. Except when it goes too far. The whole thing is appropriately Shakespearean "More sinned against than sinning".

My biggest fear for an HBO show would be that they would reject the "great man" hypothesis that the show embraces. Great Man Theory is obviously garbage but it makes for compelling TV and B5 is there to provide clear moral instruction. If you make the show more gritty and realistic, you take a lot of the agency away from the people who grow and learn. And that's a great thing to have on a network for teenages. What do you do with this new power (adulthood) that you have?

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 17:42 on Jan 5, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

See (don't see) Star Trek Discovery an example of what happens when you cut the fat.

More about weaving minor plots and stretching them over several episodes instead of having one focused "flavor" episode. It's a normal way to do it in serialized dramas but it gets real muddled and weak. When I'm watching Disco and Picard I'm like, "These little plots could do well as a one hour bubble but stretched out over a season they are just bad."

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Super Deuce posted:

Some of the Garibaldi season 4 stuff is so bad to me, and I don't know if it's because Jerry Doyle was a bad actor or something else. Everything about that plot and the scenes frustrates me. Also Jerry Doyle looked like Homer Simpson.

Like a lot of the actors of B5, Jerry Doyle wasn't really "acting". He was just being himself in a weird sci-fi setting.

Everything about Jerry Doyle the person frustrates me, so Michael Garibaldi the character being occasionally unpleasant is hitting way above par. Dude had a hardcore nazi power hour radio show.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
Most members of the psi Corp were good people doing what they thought was best for their people. The exception is the omega groups but they were mostly drawn from aliens and shouldn't really count against the Corp. Stories about brainwashing are exaggerations, the tools Bester used on Garibaldi are standard practice for therapy. You can think of it as delousing his mind.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like the only stories worth reading are the ones written by JMS himself. Especially "Space, Time and the Incurable Romantic"

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
From Pervitin to perverts: a history of SciFi

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
From the young ones thread:

adhuin posted:

More on the believers

Franklin is legally wrong. Is he morally right or wrong can be debated.
Factually he is correct and parents and their culture is poo poo, but it isn't our place to 'fix it'.
Alien species aren't subjects to human laws/morality when dealing with their own people. Which is a necessary for a neutral station to work.
Human alliance isn't USA and can't force their cultural values on aliens.

Aliens want to kill their young? As long as it doesn't disrupt the functioning of the station. :shrug:
Narns doing Narn things? Not our problem. Narns and Centauris having disagreement? That's a problem.

Is that true though, especially the bolded part? I disagree:

1) We know souls exist in B5 (triluimary, earth/minbari war, soul hunters)
2) We know souls can be trapped in physical objects (soul hunter, river of souls, triluminary)
3) We have know souls can be released from physical objects by opening them (hinted at in soul hunter, demonstrated in river of souls)

I think there are reasonable (if not strong), in-universe grounds to argue that the aliens are right and Franklin is wrong.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

Souls or codified personality constructs? And even if a soul is as you expect, there's still nothing to show that there's some hereafter.

Also the parent's belief was that once Franklin cut the kid open his soul escaped and he was just an animal. But we see no evidence of his soul leaving. He's totally normal.

so? we see no evidence of his soul being present after he was cut. We have evidence of souls leaving physical objects when they are broken. Their belief is reasonable in universe.

Are humans with minbari souls more minbari in action and temperament? We know great souls are greater but I don't think we can say much beyond that given the evidence we have.

has anyone who tested poitive on the triluminary been opened up prior to the test?

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 20:02 on Feb 20, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
That's what I thought too but b5 does not preclude the mystical and there are plenty of reasons to think the mystical does exist in b5. That makes more sense than really really really dilute genetic markers.

we knew more about mysticism in b5 than minbari genetics.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

In a show that shows us "souls" doing things, if it doesn't show us a "soul" doing things, then it isn't doing the thing.

With the notable exception of Sheridan, I don't think we see any souls leaving bodies when they die on the show, including people we know strong reason to believe have souls.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

You don't get to eat your cake and have it too.

I'm not. do you think neroon doesn't have a soul? what about Marcus?

Vitruvian Manic fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Feb 20, 2022

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
this got me thinking. since clairvoyance is reasonably common in centauri after first contact people probably reexamined prophecy in human history. humans adopting the centauri religion were probably neopagans who recontextualized ancient Greek (and possibly other) religions within the centauri religion. so less wholesale adoption of thegrwat maker and more venus=aphrodite=ishtar=isis=li type stuff. still pretty cringe though

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Habibi posted:

Clearly not in the case of the latter: he sold it for the hair and the accent.

I had to include Marcus as a joke. incel dweebs definitely don't have souls. I can't speak for anyone else though.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

CainFortea posted:

I know you don't. But you're trying. The viewer only seeing souls only counts when it supports your position. When we don't it doesn't count.

no I'm just saying we don't know. maybe only some people have soils, that could be supported. its like trill where there are only so many. we have good reason to believe that 1) souls can be assayed for and 2) are visible under certain circumstances. if everybody could always see souls there would be no need for a triluminary. plus if we could always see souls the world of b5 would be immediately very different from our own

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Narsham posted:

giant wall of text

you can create a justification for souls not being real in the world of b5 but it feels pretty forced, see: your post. if souls aren't real then of course the family is factually wrong and Franklin is right.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

Chevy Slyme posted:

Alternately: We know that vorlon influence on human history has been coded as aligned with the dominant trio of monotheistic faiths (since they all have an "Angel" concept akin to what Kosh was seen as, we can ignore distinguishing between them).

We also know that those from similar worlds with similar Vorlon interference also saw whatever their Vorlon religious programming was when they looked at a Vorlon.

We know that Londo saw nothing.

Is the similarity between the Centauri pantheon and ancient Human pagan faiths the result of Shadow influence on theology on both worlds?

I like this, this is a cool idea. makes the shadows more of an indirect actor as opposed to the direct actors we see. the vorlons being sneaky makes sense but despite their name the shadows aren't very shadowy

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
prior to them losing the war and having to go into hiding do we ever see the shadows do something dishonest or tricky? despite the framing I think they are honest actors who, at worst, engage in iterated prisoners dilemma tit-for-tat.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

it's like our world but reversed. in our world I think we have strong reasons to believe souls don't exist and justifications for souls existing is pretty thin and circumstantial. so I don't think souls exist but I could be wrong. in b5 i think there is really strong evidence that we see as an omniscient perspective for the existence of souls. I could be wrong but I think the evidence against it is a muuuch heavier and more convoluted interpretation of the events we see.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy

SlothfulCobra posted:

I think the existence of souls is implied in Babylon 5, but also potentially dismissed as various other phenomenae. I don't think the show intends to be definitive on the existence or not of god, the soul, or the spiritual world, that's up to your own personal sense of religiosity. The Minbari used Sinclair (and complaints about Minbari kids these days) to conclude that Minbari and human souls were getting reincarnated with the wrong races, but it turned out that Sinclair didn't just happen to have Valen's soul, he WAS Valen, or was going to become him. When the soul hunter appears, Franklin offers a theory on what else the "souls" could be. Franklin does surgery on a child, and nothing seems notably different.

But on the other side of things, he show for the most part expressly doesn't contradict the ideas of the religions depicted in the show. Christian monks and jewish rabbis have genuine useful insight. The guy searching the stars for the holy grail is respected in his weird quest. The Vorlons may co-opt some aspects of religion to their own ends, but crucially they didn't pose as the prophets themselves. The show respects religion but also doesn't hinge on it being physically observably real and accurate.

I agree. I just think from the omniscient perspective we have souls are *at least* much more likely to exist in b5 than in our real world. We have evidence that they exist and evidence that they can leave physical bodies (either the person or a soul hunter orb). we don't know how or when they leave physical bodies other that ensoulled individuals lose their soul when they die.

if souls are real and if they can leave the body, we don't know if they can leave the body before death just that ensoulled individuals do lose their soul on death. So could we lose our soul prior to death? opening the soul hunter orb releases a soul but I don't think delenn thought she was murdering people when she released their soul from the soul hunter orb (the soul hunter strongly disagreed!). for all we know the believers got the idea from observing a soul hunter after they liberated its lair. I think there is room for reasonable doubt that they could be correct.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
plus the "other phenomena" line feels a bit like a zombi/vampire movie where no one calls them "zombies" or "vampires". if it is close enough we may as well use the word we have for it even if it isn't a 100% match.

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
I feel like it would be fun to watch Lodge 49 with this B5 crowd.

B5:Man of La Mancha :: Lodge 49: Don Quixote.

I prefer Man of La Mancha to Don Quixote but they are both very good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Vitruvian Manic
Dec 5, 2021

by Fluffdaddy
The French Resistance and Radio Free Europe would be the touchstones JMS was going for. I'm not really sure what the #resistance was going for but you have to place it within the context of the times. JMS could see the future in many, many ways. Including cringe liberals co-opting the French Resistance and Radio Free Europe.

But he was novel in doing so even if it is played out now.