Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Are... are you quite sure you really want to say that?
Taco Defender

Party Plane Jones posted:

You can tell the Babylon 5 prop department was truly a fly by night operation what with the repurposed roller coaster seats.

The station generates gravity by rotation, the core shuttles near the center are supposed to be at very low g.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I'm totally interested in hearing more behind-the-scenes B5 stuff.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
JMS thought they were going to be cancelled after Season 4, so he wrapped up the civil war arc early so the show could have some decent closure instead of ending on a cliffhanger ("Intersections in Real Time").

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Baron von der Loon posted:

I generally view the fifth season as the epilogue of the show, especially in the later episodes where the main cast slowly moves away from Babylon 5, one by one. It really works well that way, I think.

That's pretty accurate. The Shadow War was a big part of the show, but the plan was never that as soon as the war was over, so was the show. The war had consequences which rippled out long past the end of the fighting, and including those consequences was just as important as the big fighty bits.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Data Graham posted:

One question, why's Lyta wearing a Psi Corps badge in S5E03?

After the Vorlons left, no one was paying her salary, and because she was a rogue telepath, legitimate companies wouldn't hire her - insurance reasons, you understand. In comes Bester to make her an offer. He'll take her off of the rogue list, she has to wear the badge and gloves, which will let her get legitimate work, but in exchange, after she dies, the Psi Corps gets her body (to try and study and figure out how she was enhanced). (The death must be from natural causes only, or else the contract is null and void.) She didn't want to sign the deal and tried to work for Garibaldi's PI firm, but Edgars insisted that Garibaldi fire Lyta or else he was fired. So Lyta had to take the deal. Girl's gotta eat.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Grand Fromage posted:

They didn't do any writing as far as I know, JMS just thought it'd be a good idea to hire a duo to play the duo. I really liked that their humor wasn't funny since humor is so culturally linked, jokes from the future probably wouldn't work for us.

The jokes not making sense to humans in this era was indeed entirely intentional for that reason. I don't know if they did much changing, but they did change it so that Zooty spoke using his machine to keep up Teller's schtick of never speaking on camera.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
The other part of Londo's story is in the Centauri Prime novel trilogy, which sadly is difficult to find these days.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Well to be fair that bit of the story was the culmination of General Hague's plot arc, he didn't really have much to do story wise afterwards. And killing him off gave the story a bit more punch - "Important vital guy who's going to fix everything WHOOPS he dead"

Additionally, with General Hague out of the picture, that allows it to make a bit more sense that Captain Sheridan becomes the head of the military rebellion.

kaynorr posted:

The B5JMS resource isn't searchable as far as I can tell, but if memory serves he made a post or two at the time which was very much "Want to go be on Deep Space Nine? gently caress you, I'm god and I say you're dead now."

Can't say I wouldn't do the same thing in his position, but it provides some context for later clashes with TNT over Cruade.

You seem a bit angry about an actor's character getting killed off.

Weekly TV is a production with a schedule like any other. There are always several shows at various stages of production, from story to storyboards to set construction to filming to post-production. They can't always just hold everything up and snap-produce a new episode while they wait for an actor to become available. Look at "A Sky Full of Stars". JMS wanted Walter Koening for Knight Two, but he was sick and not available. They couldn't hold up production, so they used a different actor instead.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Polaron posted:

It's a moment right up there with Sheridan's planned "Sorry your people were assholes" speech after he blew that Centauri battlecruiser to pieces straight to hell.

And if he hadn't been interrupted, he absolutely would have said that speech. "Worth it."

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Polaron posted:

That fight is one of my favorite moments in B5 because it demonstrates just how far the Centauri have fallen at that point: their big bruiser of a warship gets its poo poo wrecked by a civilian station and a squadron of starfighters built by a much younger race.

True, but that civilian station had recently been upgraded with top-of-the-line weaponry. Plus I don't think the Centauri were really taking the station seriously, they were probably being arrogant (also very in character and fitting for the Centauri!). The salvo which did hit took out one of the dock forks.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

There's a not entirely unsubstantiated theory that the Drafa Plague was created or refined by the Shadows. There's evidence that the Markab knew the Shadows were returning before Delenn told anyone about it. It was hubris that got them, but the possibility exists that they were pushed.

I dunno. The Shadows are not just wiping out races for the evulz of it. They don't want the younger races dead, but converted to their way of thinking. Their philosophy is that conflict makes races stronger, conflict is the path to growth. Engineering a disease to completely wipe out a species doesn't really seem like it would make them stronger OR help a neighbour become stronger.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Tragedienne posted:

That being said, it seems like 80% of the time Security opens fire with a PPG, they then check the target's pulse, and confirm they are dead. Is the PPG just that consistently lethal? Do they not have lower settings, or something less lethal?

It's not meant to be a non-lethal weapon, the only reason they don't use bullets is because they don't want to accidentally puncture the hull. It's not an energy weapon. It fires little blobs of super-heated helium plasma.

hope and vaseline posted:

I seriously think the back half of season 5 is even stronger than most of season 4. It's just such an emotionally satisfying journey at that point, maybe with the exception of incel Lennier.

I don't think that's the right term. Lennier didn't hate all women for rejecting him, he was in love with a specific woman who loved a different man.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

McSpanky posted:

I guess it depends on whether you think something can only be an energy weapon if it directly transmits EM radiation/radioactive particles to the target, or if a contact transmission medium is acceptable. Is a stun gun an energy weapon? What about a taser? Would a super powerful hair dryer count, or only if it was a Martian heat ray and the hot air blast was incidental?

All right, fine, it is not a directed energy weapon. It is not pure energy, it fires projectiles made of solid matter. Energetic matter, but not pure energy. A blob of superheated plasma doesn't have a "stun" setting, and one impacting your body is probably going to ruin your whole day. The power they usually use it on is most likely the lower setting because you get off fewer shots the more power you use per shot.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

Seriously?

Franklin in critical condition in Medlab, Sheridan missing and (correctly) presumed dead, the Interstellar Alliance falling apart in his absence, and the Shadows and the Vorlons in full on insane mode. Literally the only thing that goes right is that the Shadows don't destroy B5.

You also forgot Garibaldi gets kidnapped by the Shadows.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Marmaduke! posted:

Anyone thinking Vir would feel bad for getting his wish, should just remember, his wife is a war criminal and the main reaction to that is a shrug and "marriage can be tough lol"

Actually, the marriage was called off after Londo realized that Vir was embroiled in a scandal - saving Narns from the camps.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

It's a nice thought, but totally ruined by Brother Edward's murderer being sent to join the monks. Not only is that the exact opposite of what you suggest, but also now every single one of Brother Theo's order must be wondering if they're a mindwiped killer as well.

He wasn't sent there, Brother Theo specifically requested him. He probably did talk it over at least a little with the other members of the order.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

SlothfulCobra posted:

And to be fair, I don't think they really developed much of an ideology for Clark and his fascists that would have to be eradicated beyond just consolidation of power and hanging out with evil aliens. Of course, a pro move would've been flash forward showing a contingent of humans romanticizing some loyal Earthgov officers and building statues of them in an attempt to rehabilitate the history.

:golfclap: And that's a realfact.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Jedit posted:

No, it isn't. Originally Sinclair was exactly what the Minbari thought he was: a vessel for Valen's soul. Or, if you prefer, he was a psychological twin to Valen to a degree that the Triluminaries couldn't tell the difference. I actually prefer that explanation myself. It's a much better explanation for why humans other than Sinclair have whole or part Minbari souls, why the Minbari just happened to find their greatest leader's soul on the first pick, and why it appears to be the best souls of the Minbari that are no longer being reborn. Minbari souls aren't actually being reborn in humans; the Minbari are just in decline and no longer have people of such stature, and they discover that humans are no different to how Minbari used to be. The people with partial Minbari souls are like Minbari in some ways but not in others.

I think the triluminaries might have been actually detecting Sinclair's DNA. I think the season 4 episode "Atonement" strongly alludes to that: the triluminary glowed for Delenn when she was sworn into the Grey Council. Dukhat knows what that means: she is a child of Valen.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I think that Peter David had an interpretation from The Fall of Centauri Prime books is that "the eye that does not see" was actually 'I', as in Londo himself.

But G'Kar losing his eye is probably a better fit - Londo was too distracted with his machinations and let Cartagia deal with G'Kar as he felt fit. You must not kill the one who is already dead almost certainly refers to Sheridan.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender

Gyrotica posted:

"Valen, if the worker and religious castes get their own warships and weapons and presumably people to operate them, why do we need a warrior caste?"

The other castes don't get their own warships and weapons - that's one reason why the White Stars - crewed by religious caste, was a Big Deal, and the Warrior caste didn't like it when they found out.

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
I just saw it (I pre-ordered two copies, one for me, one for someone else), and it was a neat little look at "what if" scenarios, and it was a nice formal goodbye to all the cast members lost over the years.

Not really a big fan of the appearance of the Shadows, but I guess the animators needed to keep it really simple to have hundreds of them on screen at once.

I only really have one minor minor annoyance (no, not the fourth-wall breaking joke). It was with the self-destruct sequence. At first I was wondering why Sheridan was just standing there watching the lights slowly creep up to the triangle when time was of the essence, but then I realized "oh, it's a safety measure, you HAVE to hold it down the whole time until the arrow gets lit up as part of the confirmation mechanism to prevent accidents. That makes sense." ...And then for the final one they just pressed it down once and they got killed, the lever stayed down without anyone holding it and the lights kept moving. If they'd died weighing the lever down, then no minor complaint.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stabbey_the_Clown
Sep 21, 2002

Taco Defender
Shadow ships are piloted by operators mentally bonded to it, and telepaths can disrupt that connection, making the ship helpless. At least that's what I gathered from the episode "Ship of Tears."