Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SlothfulCobra posted:

If you're going to tell some kind of long-term narrative, you may not need a meticulous plan of every detail, but you still definitely need some kind of plan of where you're going instead of just writing wherever the spirit takes you and getting stuck into a dumb corner that you have to write something even dumber to get yourself out.

B5 is a great example of having a plan and needing to change and adapt it overtime as circumstances dictated.

For an example of what happens when a show has a plan, and then one day, runs out of plan, see: Thrones, Game of.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
There's a Director's Cut of The Gathering?!??

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Doctor Zero posted:

Not knowing any context he may think it's just a polite greeting like "praise god."

just my head cannon. I should look up what JMS says about it, but :effort:

But also, Kosh never greets the actual Sinclair that way. He greets fake Sinclair that way; which explains why there's zero reaction to it, even if Sinclair ought to.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
I don’t remember how I wiki-rabbit holed my way to the page of the wiki devoted to abandoned scripts and rejected episode ideas but I am so glad I did because lol @:

quote:

"He is Captain Jack Carr of the Earth Alliance; his female Russian second in command is Commander Dylan (a human version of Delenn, played by Mira without makeup), and his security chief is Len (the human version of Londo, played by Peter without makeup). They don't believe his story that this is a dream...neither do the various ambassadors, Minbari ambassador Sherdinn, Narn ambassador S'san, or Centauri ambassador Garabaldo...The only constant in the real world and the dream world is Kosh, who may hold the secret G'Kar needs to heal himself and break out of his dream existence."
The proposed season two episode would have centered around G'Kar in a "healing coma", a Narn way of dealing with the disease. His dream is populated by people he knows in real life, but all are in very different roles. The episode ultimately went undeveloped as the network felt that viewers would be "too confused."

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

"On another service, someone without considering what he was saying (not his fault, it just happened) said, in essence, "What if somebody on B5 found out that he had been mind-wiped, and used to be something awful previously?" Well, I'd had "Passing Through Gethsemane" on the wire at that time, but when I saw this, I had to scuttle the story. It lay there, untouched, for over a year, until I could finally meet the fellow and get a signed release indicating what'd happened. If that fan had not been fair and reasonable, that episode -- which many consider one of our best -- would never have been made."

To be clear this was a viper pit of his own making by actively engaging in the conversations in those threads.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Also it might just be that whatever the shadows cloaking tech is isn’t compatible with the sort of armor a Vorlon has built into their encounter suit; it’s not really a measure of relative ‘might’ it’s just a very different sort of defense, which is therefore vulnerable to a different sort of attack.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The RPG discussion made me dig up the PDF because I remember it from 20 years ago, and I am lolling very hard right now at the Ranger class description

Possible careers and professions: Living For The One, Dying For The One.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jedit posted:

I like that the two non-American cast members are flicking the Vs rather than giving the middle finger. It's a sign that it wasn't just a staged photo op.

It breaks my brain every time I am reminded that Katsulas and Jurasik are from St. Louis and Queens respectively.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Blindeye posted:

Why is that surprising. Hearing Jurasik is from Queens is the least surprising fact I have learned today, and I'm from Queens.

For some reason 20 years ago I mentally told myself that all the ambassadors were Eastern European actors who worked cheaper or something (Whereas this is only actually true of Mira), and no matter how often I am told otherwise, the notion remains primed on my brain until I am reminded otherwise.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Narsham posted:

Not only is that true, but it was managed with the finale being written a full year prior to the other denouement episodes..

Not just written, largely filmed.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

ultrafilter posted:

I searched the blind thread. No one has said "Mumbai" and the only instance of "Mimbari" is someone explaining that it's a common mistake.

There’s a lot of mumbari in the blind thread. Mumbai is in turn making fun of that and/or autocorrect mangling someone’s joke.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Who has the worse hard drive, Londo or G’kar?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
B5 has both higher highs and lower lows than DS9 Is how I typically compare the two.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Second biggest dweeb at best. Lennier has enough Incel energy to power a loving jump gate.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It specifically almost sounds like an Israeli name - and "zayn" means "weapon" and "ben" means "son/son of", so if you had a kind of archaic knowledge of Hebrew, that would be a way of saying "Ari Son of a Gun", but even funnier, at this point "zayn" in modern Hebrew is the colloquial way of saying "penis".

Oh he’s very clearly and explicitly meant to be an Israeli caricature I think, British accent not withstanding.

The Israeli military lifer as protofash trope was absolutely beginning to be a thing in the 90’s.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Terror Sweat posted:

I'm watching this show for the first time and it owns. Just got to the gift shop episode

CEASE READING THIS THREAD IMMEDIATELY.

Go post in this one instead, everyone is hungry for fresh meat: https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3925635

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'd say whether you wanna risk getting spoilered is your own choice and this thread is actually a lot less spoilery than a lot of TVIV threads, but yeah there's the blindwatch thread for if you wanna have a more protected experience.

But man, the way Sheridan says "Bear", I still can't believe it. It haunts me.

More to the point, the blindwatch thread hungers for fresh meat and you will be adored and praised for posting there as you progress through the show, regardless of how you personally feel about having been spoiled or whatever.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hollismason posted:

It'd be definitely hornier this time around.

FTFY; especially as a CW show. Gayer probably part of that, but that's just a subset of what's going to be happening.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
The other promising thing about CW is that as a legacy broadcast network (nominally, anyway), they have a lot of programming hours to fill and order old-fashioned long TV seasons for the most part. Most of their stuff gets anywhere from 15-22 episodes/year, which is absolutely promising compared to the 8-and-out prestige Netflix ethos. Especially for a story as big as B5.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

J33uk posted:

I'm optimistic about this. It'll be never be the original, it'll be different and not everyone will be coming back and involved, but that doesn't mean it'll be bad. If nothing else it can't be Legend of the Rangers bad (right? oh please be right) so gently caress it let's go. Excited to see Babylon Prime Premiering Oct 2022.

I will say, I would be a lot more excited if the announcement were "JMS want's a second crack at Crusade, a show that never got a proper chance", rather than just starting over B5 from scratch.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pentyne posted:

They just lost Supernatural and Babylon 5 is probably expected to have a minimum level of success from franchise fans, so it's probably a safe bet.

I would question if they can really do an older adult themed military sci-fi show on the CW though. I imagine there's going to be a couple of youngsters, like spoiled diplomats brats or station families who get caught up in the chaos.

I don't know that you even need to do this; just double down on much hornier versions of Vir, Na'toth, Corwin, Zack, and all of the other junior personnel.

quote:

He's completely right and the best chance he has to do right by the original series is something completely new. Bring in the OG actors is related roles or even major characters who are completely different then before. If Bruce Boxleitner was recurring cast as one of the hard-rear end fascist Earthforce commanders it'd be great for fans of the old series and completely approachable to new fans.

Yeah, give Claudia Christian the General Haig role or whatever. Lots of options to use the OG actors without making them reprise roles.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't just the juniors who were loving

Exactly. They were all already extremely horny. By contrast, the various second fiddles might as well all have been clergy.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Grand Fromage posted:

I can't picture anyone else for Londo, G'kar, or Garibaldi. G'kar especially is going to be a hard sell to us olds, no matter how good the new guy is.

He’d never do it, but for some reason I have this mental image of Adam Driver as G’kar in my head and it won’t leave.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Doctor Zero posted:

Actually, Wasser's really not that old. He could still do Morden, admittedly an older version of him.

E: and as far as Garibaldi goes, just cast Bruce Willis already.

lol if you think Bruce Willis actually shows up on set anymore. But they could hire his Authorized Official Deepfake Body Double I guess.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Winifred Madgers posted:

I'm also going to be a contrarian yet again, and say that I don't want the tone of a new show to be significantly different from the original. Seen a lot of posts about wanting it to be hornier, but I don't think it needs to be sexed up

It's not about wanting. It's about expecting because of this revival being on The CW, and Everything On The CW is Incredibly Horny And For Teens is just, like... the brand.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

mllaneza posted:

Two, the little Markab girl who couldn't find her parents.

She’s a Markab.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

pentyne posted:

Garibaldi hesitating before helping up the bleeding Markab was absolutely a "I don't want to catch this" moment before he grabbed him and helped him up.

Keep forgetting the name of the other race that was basically being slowly wiped out and was trying to desperately hide their historical genocide, up to trying to murder people looking into it.

The Hyach; they refused to hand over medical records to Franklin because it would reveal the genocide, and the fact that by having done so, they had caused a population decline spiral in their own species.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Babylon 5: Oh no, it’s happening again!

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

It's the most unashamedly 90's aspect of the show: in the end there was never any real ~conflict~, just differences of opinion! We can all get along!
:toot:

Reading the Earth Alliance as a USA analog is a facile and overly simplistic reading, built primarily upon the viewers insistence upon constraining themselves to such notions as "A Linear Understanding of Time" here in our own world.

The Vorlons are the USA; The Shadows are the Soviet Union. The brave rebels aboard Babylon Five, upon realizing that they have been used as pawns in this larger ideological conflict, chose to lash out at both oppressors.

Sadly, there was no White Star Fleet to ride in to support the brave soldiers who did so. The Vorlons won the war. Everything that has happened will happen again.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Toxic Fart Syndrome posted:

No no no...in my interpretation The Vorlons are the British and the Shadows are the Prussians which makes Babylon 5 the Paris Commune?
:confuoot:

This completely ignores the great sacrifice of the bold alliance martyr who was so brave, he sought to fly a spacecraft right into the heart of the great citadel of one of the ancient powers! He gave his life for the cause. The parallels are so strong, why does nobody see them?

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
“The name of the place, is Babylon”

There are no coincidences. Open your mind.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Season 5 also had the problem of being a rush job after someone stole the original plans at a con

That one was only in there because of the actor trapdoor, I'd be very surprised if anything beyond the broad strokes were the same.

The plan was always have a psi corps sleeper. It being Talia was a trapdoor change.

The original original plan was that the psi corps plant would’ve been Takashima, from the pilot. There was probably another intermediate plan that got scrubbed when Andrea Thompson needed to quit, but I don’t think it was ever announced who that intermediate plan was.

Chevy Slyme fucked around with this message at 14:04 on Sep 30, 2021

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Hollismason posted:

Just got to Season 3 Episode 20 And the Rock Cried Out, No Hiding Place , Goddamn it I'm half way through it I have to finish it later but dammit dammit dammit G'kar you fool why did you go to Narn!

God the ending of this episode is one of the absolute best moments in the whole drat series.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.
Nevermind

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alhazred posted:

The Canticle for Leibowitz really redeems the episode.

Agreed. Canticle is one of those novels that I read as a teen and which just burned itself pretty permanently into my brain - it’s one of the most affecting pieces of science fiction I’ve ever read. So seeing JMS’s little tribute in B5 made the rest of whatever that episode was worth it tbqh.

(Well, that and Angry Old Delenn.)

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Alhazred posted:

Why would you care if people theorize about what references you're making in your work.

I mean, this level of absolutely moronic, baseless fan wank drives me insane as a fan. I can only imagine how annoying it must be to 1) have it constantly applied to your own work, but then, 2) to be endlessly asked about it by people, so I can see how you get there.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Luigi Thirty posted:

Chief of Security is a title, but I don’t know what his rank is.

He’s a Chief Warrant Officer. A big part of his whole deal, explicitly, throughout the show, is that he’s an enlisted guy, not a commissioned officer.

The proper address for that rank in most modern militaries is either Mr. or Chief.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

CainFortea posted:

Warrants typically aren't enlisted. They're officers, just not commissioned. EXCEPT for Chief Warrant Officers typically are. At least in the US forces.

Also Chief Warrant Officers don't actually exist, and are beasts of legend and mythology.

My mistake on that hair split; but yeah, the point is that there is intended to be a clear class divide between him and the rest of the command staff, and his rank is absolutely part of that.

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

Jows posted:

5! Boxleitner, Mumy, Jurasik, Christian, Carter?

Also Thompson and Tallman.

Do we count Scoggins? I don't like it, but I think we have to count Scoggins?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chevy Slyme
May 2, 2004

We're Gonna Run.

We're Gonna Crawl.

Kick Down Every Wall.

TK-42-1 posted:

Koenig is still kicking isn’t he?

Never an opening credits cast member though, even if he and Ed Wasser were far and away the most prominent recurring guests.