Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Mad, Bad, and Dangerous to know

Kingtheninja posted:

Finished Babylon squared. Very curious about the man in the blue spacesuit. And I'm trying to figure out if/how it ties into the shadowy strangers.

:allears:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

MrL_JaKiri posted:

Wait wrong franchise

The avalanche has started, it is too late for the pebbles to vote.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Subvisual Haze posted:

This show swung for the fences, and although in re-watch a fair number of the lines I adored in it as a teenager are pretty cringeworthy now, it hit the high notes like few others.

I remember legit crying when I saw "Sleeping in the Light" when I saw 15. The neighbor girl who was humoring me by watching her first episode ever of this cheesy sci-fi show was pretty much balling at the end.

I'll admit I kinda teared up when Sheriden is in Downbelow with Kosh looking for "a moment of beauty" and the rags of clothes around suddenly come up and start chanting. It was mesmerizing.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

nerdman42 posted:

Edit: Oh, and does Walter Koenig come back as the Psi Corp guy because he's phenomenal.

Yes! Several times! Each one is amazing.

Season 2 is where things go from okay to amazing. Mr. Morden's fate (no spoilers) is the ultimate moment for me in the entire show.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
It also alludes to the Vorlon's messing around with humans long before first political contact. This comes up later too.

(no they didn't probe the guy from the first season those were other aliens!)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
"We're just one happy planet!"

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

I can't remember if it was B5, maybe In The Beginning, or if I'm conflating it with like the Clone Wars or something, but I seem to recall the Minbari shooting down escape pods too.

I think they may have been an off handed mention of the Centauri doing that during their Narn conflict.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

CountFosco posted:

Am I the only one who likes Boxleitner's acting? Sure, he doesn't have much range, but within his limited range he's pretty good.

Love the dude's acting. He can "send me straight to hell" any day!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Milky Moor posted:

Absolutely. When he got that righteous fury going, Biggs was really a great presence.

Most people remember the elevator scene with G'Kar and Lando but Marcus and Franklin in the cargo hold was a big moment for me.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
G'Kar's is a pretty dope bachelor pad.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Has no one in this thread seen The Expanse? Because it's hitting some of the big space opera with politics hits that B5 is known for, just no aliens.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
You guys are really missing some seriously good hardcore Sci-Fi. Space battles using newtonian physics, political intrigue with numerous factions, it's really what you want if you crave even a little bit of what B5 did.

If you can't watch the tv series for whatever reason, it's a book series, so you could always go to your local library! Check out Leviathan Wakes.

Eyud posted:

Yeah, The Expanse is pretty great. Dark Matter is surprisingly good too.

I like some of Dark Matter. It is surprisingly good, I'll agree but only because I went in with low expectations. It's definitely got a "made by the people who brought you Stargate SG1" feel but the characters are good and while the plot can be hit or miss the acting is pretty good all around.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 19:09 on Jul 13, 2017

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Bieeardo posted:

I'll never forget that dream sequence where Kosh is saying his goodbyes through Sheridan's memory of his father. :(

Wasn't there some story about Boxlieter watching the episode years later and going "Oh my father was Kosh and it was a dream?!?" Like he just had no context when he did the scene (which in Hollywood is common I hear).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Midjack posted:

awesome story

And that cousin... Albert Einstein!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

R-Type posted:

Not only that, the backdrop world was a little too fantasy, the setting for the series was limited, and they tried to run Farscape 2.0 without it being Farscape 2.0. Seems like they have time to correct that issue.

The first couple seasons were half-decent. But it went the way of Earth: Final Conflict. I skipped the last season but when I caught an episode it looked like a Walking Dead/Buffy knock off.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

fist4jesus posted:

Penn and teller can get hosed.
And Space jack the ripper. Another low point.

Wow that is some epic bad opinions. :thumbsup:

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Jedit posted:

The Shadow Wars have been escalating, though. Last time round the Shadows genocided the Narn telepaths; this time both sides have planet-killer fleets. I don't consider it outside the bounds of credibility that a righteous and intellectually rigid race like the Markab - who were never going to convert to the Shadow way of thinking once the Vorlons got their hooks in - could have been targeted for extermination.

Interesting thought: what if Drafa was a Vorlon plague deployed to keep the Markab on side by showing what happened to people who weren't, and the Shadows just reactivated or recreated it a thousand years later?

Didn't we also have several dead worlds in Crusade that were said to have been wiped out by the Shadows and their minions? Seems like they really didn't have too many issues wiping out whole civilizations.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Yep, it's fascist as hell.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

ConfusedUs posted:

EarthGov.txt

We're just one happy planet! :smug:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IZRTbgYXAmo

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
FYI, the actress who played Londo's wife Timov was on DC Legends of Tomorrow last night as a disney-esque Fairy Godmother who kills people and gets sent to hell. It's real good. And was nice seeing her again after this thread mentioned her a couple days ago.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
But Londo did get it.

Zooty Zoot Zoot!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

ThingOne posted:

I think the Narn Genocide and the death of Urza have really challenged his idea of what the Centauri Empire was and is. He was probably raised hearing stories of their past glories but never had to face the ugly realities of court and colonialism.

It's really encapsulated in his favorite joke:

How many Centauri does it take to screw in a light-bulb?
Just one, but in the great old days of Republic hundreds of servants would change a thousand light-bulbs at our slightest whim!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I thought one of the big issues wasn't the pure CGI scenes, but the composite scenes mixing live action and cgi? Do they have the scenes for those that can be re-rendered?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Everything we know is a lie...
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1135587777477668866

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
"How do you want to be remembered in history? Alongside the Wright Brothers? Elon Musk? Zefram Cochrane? Or as a failed fungus expert?"

Actual line from the latest Star Trek series. (aired right before Musk started going crazy on twitter with the pedo cave diver brouhaha.)

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

lost my old email posted:

smdh if you don't watch b5 on a 10 inch crt like god intended

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1170110570671951872
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1170113017544986625

Some pics of Babylon 5 stuff near the bottom.

https://www.instagram.com/p/ByMeOcipi6K/

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
There’s no hiding place down here
You know, there’s no hiding place down here
I went to the rock to hide my face
But the rock cried out, no hiding place, now
No Hiding place down here!

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Has Boxleiter aged... at all? He was on Supergirl last season as the President and he looked just like when he was President of the Galaxy in B5.

Burning_Monk fucked around with this message at 23:32 on Oct 14, 2019

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
I apologize, forgot the thread "rule" for spoilers. Edited my post above.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Hugh Laurie as Londo, if not that as Reefa 2.0

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

AntherUslessPoster posted:

I tried to watch Lexx once.
3 bottles of whiskey later I still wasn't certain the gently caress am I watching

They key is skip the whisky and go for the absinthe.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Slavery can be defined too, for instance is a child a slave to their parent in most of society? Is it right that a parent have control of their child? What age do we grant autonomy?

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
James Spader as the political office. Don't change a single scene or line.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
She was most known at the time for her role in Night of the Living Dead (remake).

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

mllaneza posted:

Rest in light Mira.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
The Corps is Mother, the Corps is Father

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
SFDebris is good you goons.

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005
Same, and anytime I heard him speak normally I just assumed that was an accent.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Burning_Monk
Jan 11, 2005

Data Graham posted:

Yeah now I'm just imagining Katsulas and Jurasik just hanging out and improv'ing in character with each other all day. There's like 50x more "canon" G'Kar/Londo material they'd have come up with that never made it to air

What a happy thought. :)