Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

We're fucking built for this shit!

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

But for my money, give me Quark Garak and Morden.

ftfy

Because, admit it, that would be amazing enough for the conversation to be the entire A plot for an episode.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'll always wonder if JMS should have gone the prequel route and mined the Dilgar War for one of his post-B5 projects. Imagine a movie/series/mini-series all about the EA going around nuking the poo poo out of Space Nazi cats...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Supposedly there's still some Shadow influence in there too.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

http://deadline.com/2017/11/rance-howard-ron-howard-clint-howard-obituary-apollo-13-a-beautiful-mind-1202214569/

Rance Howard, who played John Sheridan's Dad has died. Because, it'd just been too long since a B5 cast member had died.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

No, I think it's way more shocking. Even though the seasons are fairly even quality-wise, I think TNG was guaranteed at least a second season no matter what.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Babylon 5: Don't worry, we replaced Gandalf with Tron

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

That's awesome as-is, but I think I preferred it as a simple line drawing tbh.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Jedit posted:

There's a not entirely unsubstantiated theory that the Drafa Plague was created or refined by the Shadows. There's evidence that the Markab knew the Shadows were returning before Delenn told anyone about it. It was hubris that got them, but the possibility exists that they were pushed.

I've seen some "fanon" that suggests that Jha'Dur (Deathwalker) was responsible for the Markab plague. I don't think there's anything to suggest it in the actual show though.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I got mine and they're really nice quality. Thanks Pick.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The one on the right is obviously Kira, but the one on the left doesn't particularly look like Ivanova. Actually, doesn't really look too much like Lochley either.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Really, the idea of Melissa McCarthy playing Londo, G'kar, Vir and Lennier wasn't a big enough hint?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Found some footage of the latest Babylon 5 cast reunion. https://youtu.be/0oHtLmjKRbE?t=108

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

And there's apparently some mechanism for switching castes. We see 1 or 2 Warrior caste Minbari who moved to the Religious caste.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The what?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I believe something similar happened with Tallman between 'The Gathering' and the series proper. In fact, I think that's the only reason Talia even existed as a character.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Jedit posted:

Lyta is the only character said to have gone beyond the Rim before the actor died.

Isn't that what happened to Sheridan in the finale?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Why would you ever advise someone new to the show to watch the loving pilot? It's a neat thing to catch once you're definitely a fan, but nothing in it is particularly vital and it's rough enough to scare off a few would-be fans.

edit: I'm squarely in the "don't skip any S1 episodes" camp, but "The Gathering" is entirely skippable.

Q_res fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Feb 28, 2020

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The Narn Heavy Cruisers are zero-g, that's why they're strapped in. Other than that, I don't recall seeing another race that lacked artificial gravity.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I always got the impression you weren't really going to get anywhere in Earth Force without some stick time in a Star Fury. Now it might just be B5's equivalent to the way Star Trek has Captain's going on away missions, but I can kind of buy the "I was a pilot earlier in my career and now I maintain flight status so I don't lose that extra pay."

Was it Garibaldi that was begging flight time so he didn't lose his status and extra pay?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Midjack posted:

Lennier was OK up until he started getting weird about Sheridan and Delenn which was what, mid S4?

I think, in retrospect, the point where Lennier starts actually going downhill is that bar scene with Marcus. It's not romantic love as you'd understand it, it's a nobler, purer love. But I understand that she is fated for another. That's when he really started turning into a printer carrying "nice" guy.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Delenn breaking the Council is after she's replaced with a Warrior caste.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Goblin Craft posted:

When they get chased away by the Drakh but then she gets this cold stare and turns right back around for an immediate surprise counterattack.

This is mine too. I haven't been able to find a clip of the actual line, but I sort of remember it.

Lennier proposes a destination after they flew the Drakh attack and Delenn says something like, "We're not leaving. They've attacked defenseless ships, they destroyed Whitestar 14. Now, they will pay the price."

Nobody could do righteous anger like Mira Furlan.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

This might actually be my favorite Delenn moment. There's so many to choose from...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SnLrZ07-DuE

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

pentyne posted:

half of them are dead.

Jesus, this is actually 100% accurate... :smith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

You're not wrong, the majority of the cast has been stiffed at this point.

:smith:

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Even when it was new, as a teenager, that speech always bothered the hell out of me. It actually ruined the character for me, if not for that speech I actually rather liked Lochley. The implications of it are loving horrifying.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Pretty sneaky sis.

Wait...

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Rappaport posted:

I apologized!

Some sins are unforgivable. Perhaps you should go on walkabout and think about what you've done.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

mossyfisk posted:

Sheridan swore an oath to the Alliance, and the issuing of illegal orders gives him justification to break that oath without violating his principles.

It is a moral issue, just a personal one.

Actually an illegal order would give him the cover of refusing that order without breaking his oath. At least arguably. That's the whole thing. Complain that the order is immoral, nobody asked you now shut up and do your job. The order being illegal justifies refusing, at least in theory/on paper. And as you say, would definitely align more with his.principles.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Winifred Madgers posted:

I don't know who would be reading this thread that's not reading that one.

Me for one, I gave up on reading the newbie thread a long, long time ago.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

I'm assuming he means the episode before SiL, since it was taped at the end of Season 4 and while it's a fantastic series finale it's not really a Season 5 finale in any real sense.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah the Minbari came in to slaughter a crippled, defenseless ship. They wanted to shoot fish in a barrel and they're pissed the fish had a claymore.

The Minbari can absolutely go gently caress themselves on that one.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

So predictions on what this'll be? Fingers crossed for The Dilgar War.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Rappaport posted:

Thirdspace was a pretty good horror story, all things considered, in the Babylon 5 universe. If you like Lovecraft stuff.

The thing that bothers me about Thirdspace is that I've always wanted to know more about the creepy space squid thing Sheridan runs into when he goes to do what he does best. Nuke the everloving poo poo out of something.

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Deakul posted:

Sounds like it's going to be a lame animated nostalgia bait clip show of sorts.

The comparison that keeps popping into my head is the Marvel What If? show on Disney+

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Really? Because I always felt like it should have been more along the lines of, "Maybe these humans are alright after all."

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Yeah...

I knew who it was supposed to be, but dammit that just doesn't look or sound like G'Kar to me. :(

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

Just Another Lurker posted:

Won't get into an argument over this but that just doesn't sit right with me. :ughh:

Even if you had jump engines, without the hyperspace beacon from the vaporized jump gate, how do you even find it?

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

V-Men posted:

I assumed the coordinate system relied heavily on the existence of beacons.

It relies on it almost entirely. Someone (the Centauri? I can't remember) go around taking out jumpgate beacons and they freak out because it endangers the entire Hyperspace travel system.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Q_res
Oct 29, 2005

The show is pretty explicit that them blowing the jumpgate means you can't go there any more, so I don't think it was really an option even if someone wanted to do it.