Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

There aren't counter-rotating sections on B5 or Omegas but I imagine the non-rotating part of B5 has stationkeeping thrusters or something.

I swear I remember a couple times when an Omega lost power and started veering off to the correct side to make sense with its rotating section.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

L-l-look at you bar-bartender, a-a pa-pathetic creature of meat and bone, un-underestimating my l-l-liver's ability to metab-meTABolize t-toxins. How can you p-poison a perfect, immortal alcohOLIC?

I would imagine a warship strong enough to stand up to battle can handle the force of spinning around a bit.

Of course the main reason Omegas don't have counter-rotating sections is the Leonov didn't.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

There are so many conflicting stories about what happened with the CGI that I don't know if people are lying or nobody has a clue what they're talking about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I’m about five episodes into season three, and I love how campy that dude in the center of the planet is. His every line delivery is a delight.

Draal is the best. I feel like his direction was just to do a Brian Blessed impression.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Also doesn't hurt that pew pew spaceships were one of the easier things to do in CG early on. Any time you're mixing with real footage it gets rough, and I'm glad they never even attempted some kind of "realistic" CG alien, that really wouldn't have held up. The Shadows and the other few CG aliens work all right since they're weird and unnatural looking by design. Same way Odo still works.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I don't like the methods the Shadows used but their ideology has its merits.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not a full season. The first half, roughly, is new material. The second half is what was planned for. This is why it is noticeably better.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

In the Beginning is the good B5 movie. Legend of the Rangers is the bad one. The others are all various shades of meh.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

dreadmojo posted:

punch! kick! punch punch! SUPER KICK!!!!

It's the best example ever of something that probably sounded fine on paper but holy poo poo did it not work on screen.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Zack's also not very assertive and easily swayed/overawed by authority early on. He was definitely not okay with what Sheridan was doing, but wouldn't stand up to the captain. Season 4 Zack would.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. Early S5 is a slump after the incredible run of the previous couple seasons but the show returns to form, keep going.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Definitely watch In the Beginning. The other movies are unnecessary but you'll end up watching them eventually. In the Beginning is legit good and shouldn't be skipped.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Jedit posted:

I always enjoyed Thirdspace. It's a huge goofy SF adventure, and it provides just the right amount of glimpse beyond the veil to be properly Lovecraftian.

I don't remember any of the movies offending me like Legend of the Rangers, but I also couldn't tell you what any of them were about other than In the Beginning. They existed and then slipped from my mind and I have no real desire to watch them again.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

nashona posted:

In keeping with this thread's title W. Morgan Sheppard died yesterday.

The rarest of B5 deaths, someone dying at a reasonable age.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Neddy Seagoon posted:

It is exactly that.

JMS claimed on his twitter there is one specific WB executive who has a vendetta against all the PTEN shows like B5 and will not allow anything to be done with any of them, ever, for any reason. When that executive goes there is a possibility of movement. If JMS is right, anyway.

And the reason he was trying to work on a feature film project is those rights he owns, so he can make a movie without WB's approval.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 23:21 on Feb 12, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

evobatman posted:

Did Jerry Doyle ever talk about how his personal politics compared to those of Garibaldi?

Jerry Doyle ran for Congress as a Republican at one point and had his own semi popular crazy right wing AM talk radio show for years after B5 was over.

Garibaldi's line about having electric bleachers instead of electric chairs is a direct Doyle quote from a lunchtime conversation.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah apparently, all the original files.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I'm a big ol fuckin' nerd for both and I still don't think there's much similarity beyond superficial stuff. Yeah you can point at the space station and some character parallels, but the nature of the shows is so different. Even in the later seasons when DS9 got more serialized it was nowhere near B5's level, plus the themes are all different. And that's good, we have two excellent sci-fi series instead of one.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yep. Five season plan, show was cancelled at four, then it got picked up for a final season at the last minute. What would've been the early part of season 5 was compressed into 4, then 5 starts off with some new material before going on to the originally planned back half or so.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

If JMS is correct, there's no technical/profit problem, it's that there's at least one executive at WB with a specific vendetta against Babylon 5 and the other shows from PTEN who blocks any attempt to do anything with them. Until that's gone there's zero hope of any sort of higher quality releases or novels or anything to do with the property. JMS only owns the rights to do a theatrical release movie, which has never gotten anywhere.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Platonicsolid posted:

And "beyond the ring". I'm inclined to chalk it up to bad proofreading/editing, which nobody does anymore.

Yeah.

Everyone knows in B5 there's no ring.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

That’s why the Centauri don’t see anything. 404 - file not found.

This is Londo specifically because of the Shadow influence, not all Cenauri.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Doctor Zero posted:

I could have sworn that it was said that the Vorlons never visited Centauri Prime, and that the Centauri just evolved telepaths naturally.

What I posted is what I remember JMS saying from the Lurker's Guide but I could be misremembering.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Groetgaffel posted:

For what it's worth, the second season of discovery is better than the first

The first half of the second season was pretty good, anyway. I don't know what the gently caress happened in the second half.

But season three has the uh, fifth? new showrunner so who knows what's in store!

I'll give Discovery this: it's entertaining. Every episode feels like an unedited first draft and none of the writers talked to each other so it's just loving bonkers and unpredictable. Also beautiful. That weird 70s time travel sequence toward the end of the series was awesome: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rhMb5HKOvFo

Don't watch that if you're going to watch the show.

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Jul 10, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Not the first time JMS has refused to let something go like this.

I actually don't like the HD re-renders. The muddier quality helps hide how primitive the VFX is. When it's so clear it looks too much like what it is, an early 90s video game cinematic.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Nice thing is The Gathering is the worst B5 ever is and it continuously improves. Seasons three and four have like... one turd episode total?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The movies other than In the Beginning are bonus content I don't usually think about.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

The only B5 podcast I tried to listen to was a couple of people very slowly and repetitively retelling the story of the episode in like an hour twenty minutes. No interesting analysis or ideas or anything, just dragging out the plot points to twice the length of the actual episode.

There are a few out there though and I didn't try them all.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Please tell me the acting gets better. The labor negotiator and senator are atrocious.

Eh... the incidental character actors are pretty rough overall. Usually Londo and G'Kar eat enough scenery for it not to matter too much.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

B5 has lost more main cast members than original Star Trek, let alone the modern ones.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

I wish Andreas Katsultas drank from that cursed goblet that Shatner has.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Yeah S1 is a lot better on a rewatch. There's so much in there that you can't know the first time around.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Yeah, the Lurker's Guide isn't something I'd show to a newbie. It's a nice compilation of episode-per-episode JMS usenet posts to read along with a rewatch.

Yep. Save it to read when you eventually rewatch.

E: S3 is best intro. Though now I watch it and am mentally saying "dead, dead, dead..." in G'Kar voice as actors pop up. :smith:

Grand Fromage fucked around with this message at 05:24 on Sep 24, 2019

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

sebmojo posted:

For season 5, are there a few worth skipping?

Nah. The storyline people hate in 5 doesn't actually take up that much time in the episodes. The first time I rewatched after hearing people bitch about it for so long I was surprised how minimal it is. If you mashed it all together it'd only be like three full eps worth of stuff, maybe four?

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Just watch after the show imo. Most of them are... not great.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Delthalaz posted:

I wish I understood B5’s geography more- I definitely knew where things were on DS9.

This should help.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

Good grief, superb.

Middle of the season, too! That was something you'd normally see at the end and beginning with a blue ball cliffhanger for six months.

Point of No Return/Severed Dreams is a real highlight of the show. Basically from where you are until the end of season 4 is loving bananas all the time. There's like one or two minor stumbles in there.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I was promised that after season 1 it was nothing but good.

:ohdear:

There are a few turds in every punch bowl.

B5 has a much lower than average turd count after season 1. And usually the bad episodes have a decent B plot so they aren't total wastes.

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

Vavrek posted:

Does someone have that one clip from Legend of the Rangers handy?

Note: I've only ever seen that one clip. I'm thinking of actually watching the whole thing whenever I get to it in my rewatch.

You should. It's terrible, but it still has G'Kar in it and that's worth watching.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Grand Fromage
Jan 30, 2006

TraderStav posted:

I'm starting to get the feeling that the movies are really bad.

That's generally considered the worst (or, best) scene in the worst of the movies.