Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ConfusedUs posted:

ooh la la la la la la!

There we go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

ZRM posted:

Yeah actually, this brings up a good point. The Shadows would have liked them, cause they wiped out the Hyac-do, showing the Hyac were stronger.

Except the Hyach wiping out the Hyach-do is an object lesson in how that kind of thinking is ultimately self-destructive. It's the sort of thing that the Shadows would kick under the rug and never bring up again.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doctor Zero posted:

I think one of them is supposed to be Kosh. Ask us again later about more details. Answering your question would spoil a bunch.

Nah, the two encounter suits are identical and neither one looks like Kosh's rig.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

SlothfulCobra posted:

Not so much involuntarily celibate as voluntarily only being open to loving one woman who was not having it. Although I suppose most of the incel movement confuses an unwillingness put some effort into dating with being shut out by the rest of the human race, so maybe.

Terminal Nice Guy Syndrome. In one case, literally.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Pick posted:

God why is Rick Berman such a god damned stupid rear end in a top hat

Drugs.

Grand Fromage posted:

And the main theme/opening credits was by far the best part of Voyager.

Voyager didn't deserve that opening theme.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bieeanshee posted:

That sequence always puts me in mind of Holst.

That's because it rips off "Mars, Bringer of War" quite shamelessly.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tragedienne posted:

That being said, it seems like 80% of the time Security opens fire with a PPG, they then check the target's pulse, and confirm they are dead. Is the PPG just that consistently lethal? Do they not have lower settings, or something less lethal?

No lower power less-lethal mode to a PPG, very deliberately.

When JMS used to chat with fans on Usenet, he was fond of making GBS threads on Star Trek's phasers by saying that "Stun settings are for people who can't commit."

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 08:08 on Aug 25, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Narsham posted:

Unlike most of the novels, these three are worth tracking down. Garabaldi gets what might be his best line in the final book.

The Centauri trilogy is definitely the best of the B5 tie-in novels (although I have heard some folks argue for the Psi-Corps trilogy) but I honestly have a real soft spot for the Technomage books. They aren't as well written, but I liked the Technomages on the show and a deep look at their society, origins, and role in the Shadow War and beyond was neat to see. It gives away a mystery the show deliberately (and pointedly) left unsolved though, so I understand why they're not well-liked.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Torrannor posted:

Oh yes, but it can be so amazing. Like in season 4, when Cartagia has G'kar whipped. It's just a dark room with a chair for Cartagia and something to chain G'kar to. It really focuses the scene on the characters, and makes it all the more chilling.

There's also the entirety of the S4 episode "Intersections in Real Time" which I recall hearing was originally supposed to be the season finale.

Maelstache posted:

That also reminds me of weird situation with Mary Kay Adams replacing Caitlin Brown in as Na'toth, JMS apparently hated her performance so much she was given the push after filming two episodes.

Yeah, apparently she was cast as Na'Toth on the strength of an audition that was very different for how she chose to play the character on camera.

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 12:34 on Nov 4, 2018

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tsaedje posted:

Babylons 1-4 span in both directions. Now what went into deciding which colours they were, that might be interesting.

Babylon 1 was red, we know 4 was green and 5 is blue. We can presume 2 and 3 were also coloured differently, maybe orange and yellow for a rough rainbow order.

Where did we find out the first Babylon Station was red? Did that get a throwaway line in an episode or did JMS say it at some point?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Oh man, it's been so long since I watched that I'd forgotten. Thanks.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Delsaber posted:

I vaguely remember years later she turned up as an anchor on CNN Headline News of all places and Jon Stewart made fun of her once. Unless that was a fever dream I had.

I got curious.

https://www.cc.com/video-clips/mi0k05/the-daily-show-with-jon-stewart-headlines---this-is-cnn-

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Midjack posted:

Thompson's marriage to Doyle was disintegrating at that time too, and if you had to pick between them, Garibaldi was the one to keep.

I keep seeing this, but "Divided Loyalties" was shot in early 1995, and Doyle and Thompson got married that year and divorced two years later, so the timing g doesn't add up.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Jedit posted:

It was. With the original cast, Laurel Takashima was the Psi-Corps sleeper agent and it would have been her who shot Garibaldi, not his second.

I haven't checked this myself, but this is allegedly foreshadowed all the way back in The Gathering, where an Earthforce access code is used to let the would-be assassin do something or other, and it's Takashima's code or hand or whatever in the shot.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
In the Beginning is probably the best of the lot. I'd say it's worth a watch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Grand Fromage posted:

Legend of the Rangers is the bad one.

If you ignore all other opinions in this thread, heed this one.

Ye be warned.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Polaron posted:

I'm like 90% sure JMS has mentioned that Earth would have won the Earth-Minbari War (or at least fought the Minbari to a standstill) if it wasn't for Minbar's stealth tech that kept Earthforce weapons from locking on. For all their technological superiority the Minbari aren't all that good at fighting and Earth warships were incredibly heavily-armed.

Yeah, EarthForce had already pasted another older, higher-tech enemy in the Dilgar War, so it's not out of the realm of possibility that they might have been able to beat the Minbari in a straight slugging match. B5 always did have a sort of "humans are special badasses" aesthetic that reminds me of some of the "Humanity, gently caress yeah!" stuff from Tumblr, 4chan and the like that gets passed around.

Yes, including the vaguely fascist feel.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I really love Draal for just being the least Minbari-esque Minbari. He's so old and wise he just does not give two shits about decorum and tradition anymore.

"I rather liked the song..."

I recall Dukhat having some similar characterization the few times we saw him in flashbacks. There were a couple points he basically told the rest of the Grey Council to quit being assholes, assholes.

Maybe it's the beard.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Eh. Just about all the B5 universe material outside the actual shown and a handful of novels has been sort of crap. Legend of the Rangers, Lost Tales, even Crusade wasn't really up to par.

I'd rather leave it where it is than be disappointed.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Antifa Turkeesian posted:

I think it would have been Billy Mumy, right? That would have been a very different show.

Woohoo?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Those are not contradictory statements.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Larry G. DiTillio, who served as executive story editor for Babylon 5, has died.

Given what we know of JMS' original story plans, I wonder how much we have DiTillio to thank for the series we actually got? Anyone know?

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Baronjutter posted:

His whole life is about maximizing karma points or what ever, he's like Doug from The Good Place who figured out the point system and is living a 100% selfless life to maximize his points, but not because he's an actual good dude who cares about the world, simply because he's gotta maximize his good place points. Leneer sees the entire world as something he just has to endure and roll his eyes at over the hope he'll what.. get enough soul points for the universe to reward him with Delen? I could see the guy going full incel mass-shooter the moment he knows that ship has sailed or his religion's just some myths and moral guidance.

This is something I didn't catch about Lennier until about my second or third run through the series, and it made something that happens later make a lot more sense when it had previously pissed me off at how out of character it seemed. Good catch, this early.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

The In'cel'Shok.

Led by Incel'Zha.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I can't recall where I saw this, but allegedly Intersections in Real Time was supposed to be the S4 finale, and the assault on Earth take up a big chunk of early S5.

Talk about a cliffhanger.

Edit: Here we go. http://jmsnews.com/messages/message?id=9182

jms posted:

(blocked) asks:
> it sounded good <g> Which ep would have been?

Well...I don't usually comment on this, but...if I had known
*with absolute certainty* that there would be a season 5, then season 4
would have ended with 418, "Intersections in Real Time." So you only
pull 4 episodes forward, really. You'll understand when you see it.

jms

Lemniscate Blue fucked around with this message at 01:40 on May 17, 2019

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

The E3 demo of Into the Fire got leaked to the Internet a few years ago. It looks like it might've been an actually decent sci-fi flight game had it not been canned.

Part of the soundtrack got released too, and it whips rear end https://youtu.be/2hAtD3zqJMU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doctor Zero posted:

I always took it to be like a psychic re-writing that they programmed into the younger races. I don’t think it has to be consciously projected. I think it just kind of happens and has to be specifically overridden.

For example, when Sheridan takes out Kosh II (Ulkesh) the fragment of Kosh still in his mind shuts that whole poo poo off presumably I assume to ensure that the humans who have never seen one will be able to see that they aren’t attacking some angel. At least that’s how I always took it. I assumed that the Vorlons somehow programmed in, ‘when you see us, you really see an angel’ kind of like a psychic illusion. That’s why the Centauri don’t see anything. 404 - file not found.

After Kosh rescues Sheridan from the tram bomb, he remarks that it was exhausting being seen by so many of the younger races. General thought is that means it's something the Vorlon do actively, that takes effort.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Yeah, the real answer is "it's the pilot, things changed".

And the in-universe explanation is "It's Vorlons, I ain't gotta explain poo poo."

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

I feel teased.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Neddy Seagoon posted:

There tends to be more history than what's currently written in a show set 250 years in the future.

Right, but once you notice it, the pattern of "Michaelangelo, Picasso, Vax'azarb" gets really loving annoying after a while. Star Trek is guilty of this too.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

CainFortea posted:

Discovery Voyager had so much promise

There we go. I'm still salty.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Doctor Zero posted:

Who is that in the middle? I can’t figure it out under all that 80s.

Blaire Baron, who played Carolyn Sykes in the original pilot. The part was reworked in Season 1 to be Catherine Sakai, played by Julia Nckson-Soul.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
ROY G BIV

Babylon 6 will be indigo!

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
I have all three post-show trilogies in paperback (:smug:) but then I'm the guy that will defend the Technomage trilogy.

One of these days I do need to try to pick up To Dream in the City of Sorrows. If it's not $300 by now.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TraderStav posted:

Good grief, superb.

Middle of the season, too! That was something you'd normally see at the end and beginning with a blue ball cliffhanger for six months.

I want you to remember that you said this when you get to the end of Season 3.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.
Tim Choate was a treasure, god drat.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TraderStav posted:

Didn't the Agamemnon destroy a Minbari capital ship and thus survived the war?

No, that was the Lexington. Sheridan was its first officer, took command when the captain was killed, and blew up the Black Star. He was promoted and given the new-built Agamemnon after the war.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

TraderStav posted:

Was that in the show by mid season 3 or in later or other content? I don't remember that amount of specificity.

Most of the details are in In the Beginning. I don't recall to what extent anything was known before that, just that we knew he destroyed Black Star in a way the Minbari still have some resentment over right away in "Points of Departure". Upon doing some digging, the trap was discussed in "There All the Honor Lies" but I don't think we hear about Lexington specifically until ITB.

Man, time for me to do a rewatch.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Tsaedje posted:

B4 was a way to rules lawyer their way out of directly interfering in the little competition they have going

also it amuses me greatly that it must be a bit of a Bill and Ted moment of 'remember for later we need to send a station back'

I was always curious how much warning the Vorlons and their agents had that Babylon 4 was the station to look out for, and when and where it would be constructed. We know the Shadows' minions were at least somewhat surprised to see it. Were there at least some Vorlons who looked up and went "Oh poo poo, THAT'S where it came from. Welp, time to get hijackin'."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Soylent Pudding posted:

Not an empty quote. Always hated their arrogance in a way I never did the Klingons.

There's a reason the Minbari get called "Space Elves" and it's not complimentary.