Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Only 3.6 Roentgoons per hour ... not great, not terrible.

...the meter only goes to 3.6...

Pork Pro
JMS said it's fake. :smith:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

turn left hillary!! noo posted:

If you read it, you wouldn't use :smith:

Yeah, I was holding out hope he was attached when it was just some people on twitter saying ~reboot~, but glad it was FAKE NEWS :trumppop:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Yeah. I'm pretty sure obliterating your personality and then creating a walking zombie to keep post-Capitalism on its legs is worse than just killing the dude.

Not only is the end-result the same for the intended victim, but the state is now also putting the perpetrator's family and friends through the additional trauma of knowing their loved one is :airquote: alive :airquote: somewhere, but as good as dead and being used a slave labor. Then you also get people from the ~actual~ victim's family out for vigilante killings (as seen in the ep).

Overall, it is a pretty cruel and terrible system and definitely not preferable to simple execution.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

So.... did someone die recently?

Naw, bruh, the show came back to life! :zombie:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

Don't watch In the Beginning first, that's stupid. Don't bother with the movies until after.

This happened to me, accidentally, and I was fine. :shrug:

The series arcs are set up so well that it works as a retconned-pilot, but it does spoil a lot, so I probably wouldn't recommend doing it on purpose. ITB does have a lot more action and pew-pew, so if you need a Hollywood-opening to pique your interest, it may hold someone's attention more than the actual pilot episode.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Grand Fromage posted:

I'm not ragging on him, but he has quirks and one specific one I noticed is pretending like nothing in B5 has any outside influences. At least that's what I gathered from reading along the JMS posts on the Lurker's Guide, he may have chilled out about it since.

It was touched on, upthread, but there was a huge stigma associated with "being derivative," or even being an interpretation of another work, back then. So many films and shows were obvious rehashes of old stories, but that was hidden from or not told to General Audiences because they thought that meant it wasn't worth seeing.

Now, both mediums are sloppy with remakes, re-imaginings, soft reboots, and near-parody to the point that audiences don't want to try anything new anymore. I think he may have taken a different tack in the current era, and if he's still on that "rawwr it was all original" kick, then it has to be a hold-over from the 90s because lol.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

fist4jesus posted:

Lets not forget a little series staring LUKE PERRY!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jeremiah_(TV_series)

Oh yeah...I remember that, but I haven't watched that since I was a teenager. I remember liking it, but is that youthful nostalgia or does it hold up? At this point it's just a hodge-podge of mish-mashed plots in my mind, because nearly every story beat of that show has been iterated/eaten up by other post-apocs since then...

Okay...you've convinced me, I'm finally re-binging this. :hfive:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

McSpanky posted:

Yeah hyperspace is clearly more complex than just an x:1 compression of distance correlative to normal space, or else it'd be trivially easy to calculate routes through it and it wouldn't be so dangerous to travel without gates and beacons for reference. They talk about gravitational curves and other :techno: stuff so there's some non-euclidian poo poo going on.

And no matter how broadly the galaxy is settled, Londo chopping off an entire spiral arm for the Centauri on that holographic map was wildly optimistic, Shadow backing or not.

Isn't there also some sort of flow, or fluid dynamics, going on in hyperspace? I remember an episode where they were trying to find someone lost in hyperspace and kept drifting further and further out, but maybe that was just a mission on Freespace 2.
:ohdear:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Hazborgufen posted:

Oh, I was just going to call that one off because at the end of the episode when she's in casual clothes and Marcus comes in to show her an organizational chart she was wearing two dangling earrings.

But now I see that details like that might be a thing. Bester's hand for instance as mentioned above, which I hadn't noticed was bad before, was also mentioned. If nothing else it'll be fun to notice details.

For example, when Delenn and Sheridan were in the barracks on the White Star this episode, they were both laying down to the left of each other (since the beds alternated direction) and held each other's left hands as they listened to the rain. I'm probably way overthinking this, but once you notice something you're bound to keep trying to confirm it.

Isn't JMS left-handed? It could just be a by-product of him being so involved in the production that he set things up himself, and did it the way that was natural for him as a left-hander. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Neddy Seagoon posted:

You know, I want to see what kind of in-universe meeting goes into deciding which way the station's gonna rotate during the Babylon Project's early phases. Is it a standardized thing for all ships and installations, or did it devolve into a screaming argument that made Drazi politics look polite?

Does B5 have a counterweight? If not, I’m pretty sure it would have to rotate in-line with its orbit or risk wobbling down the well...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Midjack posted:

He shot wide since that was a foreseeable development but the scenes are set up such that nothing critical will be missed in 4:3 screens so there's nothing really important happening to the left or right. All the CG was made 4:3 so it's cropped for wide presentation and is unlikely to be redone, ever.

This gets brought up every few pages, but the original CG is all lost so there is no updating it without redoing it from scratch and a studio will never spend the money to do that.
:smith:

Ironically, a few dedicated fans could probably remake it all from scratch and have it look better, these days. :pcgaming:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Careful. You're almost making me slightly have interest in getting a Twitter account.

Everyday is an AMA on twitter with JMS and if someone just asked him about the CGI we would get a reply within a day, I'd wager...

https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1064326924288180224

Also this: :laugh:
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1064372725626494976

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

LongDarkNight posted:

I don't want either but if i had to choose I'd go with Shadows. The Vorlons are all about obedience, the Shadows are just "gently caress each other up".

The Shadows are about greifing and kicking over sandcastles. The Vorlons are carebears and all about building them. In typical MMO fashion, the Shadows pitch a fit when someone actually challenges them in PVP...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Iymarra posted:

Into the Fire is great for multiple reasons, not the least being a notable phrase of get the hell out of our galaxy

Now the fun ride really begins!

Also, :byewhore: for Meeester Morrrrrrden

That was a miss, for me...I kind of wish Vir had had a little more remorse for his words after seeing Morden's head on the spike.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

Nah, Morden had it coming seasons prior.

He definitely had it coming, I just didn't like seeing Vir sink to ~his level~, for lack of a better phrase.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, didn’t the Shadows kidnap/kill Morden’s wife and child and then use their billion-year-old technology to manipulate that grief and guilt into forcing him to be their agent?

If I remember, weren’t there always a couple of Shadows following him, ensuring his compliance and oversight?

I don’t think the Nazi comparison is fair... :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Platonicsolid posted:

I always thought the five seasons were supposed to act like five acts of a play, with the last season acting as the denouement.

Yeah, but they were expecting cancellation so they wrapped up some plotlines "early" at the end of S4 and had to make up some new stuff to fill the missing bits of S5.

edit: didn't it go to TNT or something for the final season?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Absurd Alhazred posted:

It's probably a bad idea to do extremely close reading of the tense of a sentence read in the take used in one scene of one episode in an underfunded sci-fi drama. What makes the most sense in light of the overall plot? What actually happened? That's probably what was meant.

This.

Also, people use past events to reinforce current idea/trends all the time. It is perfectly reasonable to assume Sherridan is saying that we could never break their stealth tech during the war and that nothing has changed since then.
:shrug:

Milkfred E. Moore posted:

Funnily enough, the specifics of the destruction of the Black Star changes, too (Sol system, multiple ships, fake distress call -> other system, one ship, honest distress call). But B5 has never been concerned with particulars, especially when it comes to matters of war or terminology. B5's a big picture show.

This is a better argument: that the ~fog of war~ obscures details from certain people giving them an incomplete or inaccurate view of current or historical events.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wizzardstaff posted:

Isn't JMS also on record saying that starfuries travel "at the speed of plot" or something like that?

Yeah, but B5 isn't as bad as modern shows (Westerosi Express) so it gets forgiven like Indiana Jones riding the outside of a U-Boat for a thousand miles.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Morden was my avatar for eve when I was a space diplomat and I will never regret that.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Zorak of Michigan posted:

Becoming the Shadows would have been Goonswarm's highest achievement. What could be finer than finding a bunch of up-and-coming alliances, convincing each of them that we thought they were our new favorite, and then letting them all fight it out for our entertainment?

I mean...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, to be fair, there was a galaxy-wide war which destroyed nearly everything and at the end of it the allies that hadn't died off in battle were cleaved of their fat and absorbed into the Swarm...

:stare:

Neddy Seagoon posted:

If you go to Za'Ha'Gün, you will be brutally owned.

Not to keep this stupid analogy going, but the old homeworld is haunted...

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
Not sure how I feel about this:
https://twitter.com/straczynski/status/1086052807705165824?s=21

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:lol:

It’s a lovely version of Passengers only worse and creepier! :stonklol:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

I'm just going to take everyone's word for it and not look up whatever it is you're finding.

Let me ruin it for you:

quote:

Cole's story concludes in "Space, Time & the Incurable Romantic", a short story written by JMS and published in Amazing Stories #602. It takes place hundreds of years after the series ends. Cole (still preserved in cryogenic suspension) is revived when the homeworld of those who built the life-energy transfer machine was found. He then proceeds to create a clone of Ivanova by enlisting one of Garibaldi's descendants to help him. Endowing it with her exact memories by stealing the scans done of her memory, he then strands them on a lush, fertile and uncharted world with the intent of living "happily ever after" together. There are significant moral questions raised by his actions in this story, but JMS has been quoted as "wishing to give the character the happy ending he deserves" while at the same time raising the type of ethical question for which Babylon 5 is famous.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

wizzardstaff posted:

The fact that people can get so close to the spacecraft arrival/departure gates with minimal screening is one of the most 90s things in the show to me.

That will probably come back, tbqh. Security screening is entirely theater. :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Dirty posted:

Kind of. But also, from the bit I quoted, it's frustrating to know that the art assets are out there, and being passed around among a select few because they aren't supposed to be out there because I guess they belong to WB. So between those scene files, the botched DVD transfer, and the existing hi-res master JMS referred, we've had many options for seeing B5 VFX looking not-terrible.

But the simplest way, just rerendering the existing files in Lightwave (which will load the old scene files mostly just fine) on the abundant levels of modern hardware that exist today can't be done, because the files are in the hands of a guy with a busted decade-old system. Of the few people out there who still use Lightwave (myself included) our systems that we already bought for doing this stuff would make absolute mincemeat of the rendering times for 90s-era scene files. Not to mention having the expertise to patch up any issues caused by Lightwave version changes, and make good use of newer anti-aliasing and motion blur settings. But instead, we gotta buy this guy a new computer so he can do it, one scene at a time.

The B5 legacy continues to hang by a thread.

It's just frustrating.

Could modern computers render the scenes in real-time?

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Blindeye posted:

I'm having the opposite problem; my girlfriend dove straight into Babylon 5 and Farscape at my suggestion, then we got through TOS, and then I figured TNG would be an easy sell.

She can barely stand it because "Picard is just too competent."

I know it's hip to hate it, but S1 of TNG is such a beautiful vision of the future: men in miniskirts, recitals for fun, poetry readings, and everyone is so well-balanced no one even thinks to use the holodeck as a sexbot for, like, four season!
:science:

I envy you all being able to get your spouses into B5...haven't cracked that nut yet, myself.

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
There is a certain irony to the fanbases' displeasure with shadowy WB execs for refusing to restart the project out of spite not wanting to give the guy who is grifting everyone for a new PC the money out of spite.

It looks like Independence War!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

sebmojo posted:

i'm amazed he can even watch b5 with an athlon 2.

I mean, it's not ~that~ old, considering that Moore's Law seems to have run out. :shrug:

Son of Sam-I-Am posted:

Relaying the latest post on the guy's Facebook group:

One of the replies says there've been some recent executive retirements/resignations at WB. Is it too early to post itshappening.gif?

Huh...JMS is on twitter about once a week telling everyone it's a no-starter because WB execs hate it and/or him, but if they've passed on to a new generation that just sees old IPs as potential goldmines...
:thunk:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
yes there will be an exam at the end of season two so no speed-reading :eng101:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
:fry:

Thanks for pointing out that G'Kar is Tomalok. :psypop:

Sedgr posted:

Just as long as you don't read anything about his character after the show ends.

I don't care if it was written by JMS: it's non-canon fanfic. :colbert:

1994 Toyota Celica posted:

my rewatch just got to Vir making good on his promised wave

lovely

I STILL think this was a missed opportunity, but Centauri gotta Centauri... :shrug:

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Babylon Babies!

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
In honor of the original casting, the part of Garibaldi will go to Joe Rogan.

The Real Babylon 5

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

ultrafilter posted:

The Shadow/Vorlon conflict seems like the thing that most has to change. That worked because it was never done before, but I don't think a second time with the same thing would be anywhere near as good.

It's the most unashamedly 90's aspect of the show: in the end there was never any real ~conflict~, just differences of opinion! We can all get along!
:toot:

Not sure that works in a post-Trump era.

Grand Fromage posted:

As long as they don't touch the Omega.

You misspelled "Hyperion." :colbert:

Habibi posted:

The Real World: Babylon 5

Slimer's 8 and the Real Babylon 5

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro

Chevy Slyme posted:

Reading the Earth Alliance as a USA analog is a facile and overly simplistic reading, built primarily upon the viewers insistence upon constraining themselves to such notions as "A Linear Understanding of Time" here in our own world.

The Vorlons are the USA; The Shadows are the Soviet Union. The brave rebels aboard Babylon Five, upon realizing that they have been used as pawns in this larger ideological conflict, chose to lash out at both oppressors.

Sadly, there was no White Star Fleet to ride in to support the brave soldiers who did so. The Vorlons won the war. Everything that has happened will happen again.

No no no...in my interpretation The Vorlons are the British and the Shadows are the Prussians which makes Babylon 5 the Paris Commune?
:confuoot:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Toxic Fart Syndrome
Jul 2, 2006

*hits A-THREAD-5*

Pork Pro
I mean, say what you will about GRRM, but he had my favorite author's response I've ever witnessed.

Someone had asked him about ASOIAF and the changing lengths of seasons and had all of these questions about orbital periods and stellar bodies and held up, what I assume was, a stack of papers with the math explaining all of this and basically asked "is this mathematical proof I came up with to explain the long summers and winters what you made up for Game of Thrones?"

GRRM just looked at this guy and said "No: I just made it all up."