Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.

Dehtraen posted:

Geez, I count 16 5-0's in leagues with Drake decks for you? That's only published results, so I'm sure there are more? That's a lot of tickets from packs though, what've you been doing with all the extra tickets, cashing out or building decks for other formats?

For the record, regarding treasure chests, every time I've seen players open them on stream they are always garbage.

Yeah they didn't publish my 5-0s with either UW or UG Drake, but got all the UR Drake results around it. I really wish Drake would have been banned immediately upon release of Eternal Masters, because I had been goldfishing and posting stuff in the main thread about how bullshit the card was like a month before the set was even online. I've bought into Legacy and Vintage, and I'm currently just banking tickets to either branch out into more Vintage decks, or buy into Standard/Modern and play MOCS events, and it's all from winning a shitton with Drake. Turns out if you win 80% of your matches, it doesn't really matter how much WotC cuts down prizes, you'll still end up in a good spot.

Also I opened 3 chests today, got 15 play points and two rares and I was like, this is bullshit, but I opened Submerge, an uncommon, which is apparently 21 tix because Masques draft is the worst thing ever. Most valuable card opened in ~100 chests is an uncommon.

PJOmega posted:

I'm well aware that Drake is amazing. I'm playing it in paper so I don't even need to worry about clock.

I'm the only one playing it and I'm the one asking the group to ban it. Other people argue with me that it isn't imbalanced as I go 3-0 or 4-0 for a fifth week.

Jesus Drake has to be WAY better in paper, since you can just combo off and gain infinite life with a Cliffs in play. A small portion of my games are tough, where I need to judge whether I can throw away my Oracle chump blocking when I have the combo, but don't have a second creature to go with the Mancer to actually do anything, and I need to make a decision whether I can spend 7 minutes to gain 40 life and if that'll buy me enough time to find a win, while still having enough time to actually win the match.

Given how unwinnable the matchup is for MBC online, I can't really imagine that Hymn and Sinkhole really make it that much better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Drake gettin' emergency banned

Foreskin Problems
Nov 4, 2012

It's doing fine, actually.
oh no what will hellsau post about now

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
rip to hellsau's free money

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

Foreskin Problems posted:

oh no what will hellsau post about now

Delver.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

loving finally. Now they just need to ban

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Thank heavens.

To reply to the previous point, my playgroup goes by online Pauper legality so MBC doesn't get Sinkhole and Hymns.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Thank heavens.

To reply to the previous point, my playgroup goes by online Pauper legality so MBC doesn't get Sinkhole and Hymns.

Then yeah UR Drake isn't beatable in a normal metagame, so it's a good thing Drake is banned. Now to wring all the value from them over the next two weeks before going back to playing Flicker Rats and Delver variants.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
I'm looking to build a little pauper deck collection in paper form so my friends and I can just grab some decks and play. So far I've got a pretty huge list of decks and I'm trying to figure out which ones to build first.

R Goblins
G Stompy
U Delver
B Mono-black Control
UB Angler Delver
UB Teachings
UR Izzet Blitz
GU Freed from the Real http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/freed-from-the-real-aleco-pors-2nd-place/
GW Midnight Gond / Soul Sisters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HfW6luYGQ
GW Slivers
WRG Bogles
URG Affinity
WUR Jeskai Kuldotha
UBR Eggs
GWB Tortured Existence

I thought I'd start with the bold decks to get the most variety, but I'm not sure. Anyone have suggestions or additions? And yes, I realize GW Slivers may not be super competitive but it's going to be my dumb pet deck.

Boco_T
Mar 12, 2003

la calaca tilica y flaca
If you want to add W to the list, the White Weenie deck seems to be pretty competitive thanks to Elite Vanguard and Thraben Inspector. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-w-29490

Freed from the Real seems like a sweet as hell deck.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Depending on your friends group you may want to put Elves over Stompy, since some people love Elves and huge/huge kills.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Hot take: UWR Metalcraft is a really bad deck. Build Grixis Metalcraft instead.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken

Boco_T posted:

If you want to add W to the list, the White Weenie deck seems to be pretty competitive thanks to Elite Vanguard and Thraben Inspector. https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-w-29490

I'll probably do something like that deck or a derpy Rebels deck for mono-white at some point.

Agreed, Freed from the Real looks silly yet dope.

PJOmega posted:

Depending on your friends group you may want to put Elves over Stompy, since some people love Elves and huge/huge kills.
Noted. I'll poll them and see if anyone has preferences.

suicidesteve posted:

Something like this?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Aranan posted:

I'm looking to build a little pauper deck collection in paper form so my friends and I can just grab some decks and play. So far I've got a pretty huge list of decks and I'm trying to figure out which ones to build first.

R Goblins
G Stompy
U Delver
B Mono-black Control
UB Angler Delver
UB Teachings
UR Izzet Blitz
GU Freed from the Real http://tappedout.net/mtg-decks/freed-from-the-real-aleco-pors-2nd-place/
GW Midnight Gond / Soul Sisters https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=J8HfW6luYGQ
GW Slivers
WRG Bogles
URG Affinity
WUR Jeskai Kuldotha
UBR Eggs
GWB Tortured Existence

I thought I'd start with the bold decks to get the most variety, but I'm not sure. Anyone have suggestions or additions? And yes, I realize GW Slivers may not be super competitive but it's going to be my dumb pet deck.

If you're building a bunch of decks for you and your friends to have fun with, teachings and bogles seem like awful choices. Elves seems like a pretty obvious add if you're looking for tier decks. As far as fun stuff, pauper caw-blade is a pretty fun deck.

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

suicidesteve posted:

Acid Trip is another deck that you should build instead of jeskai metalcraft.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
Teaching seems like a decent control deck, but I can see bogles being unfun.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

little munchkin posted:

Acid Trip is another deck that you should build instead of jeskai metalcraft.

Acid Trip is probably worse than UWR but it's so much more fun.

Aranan posted:

Teachings is pretty fun.

Bogles is every bit as fun as it is in modern*, except at least in pauper edicts are playable.

* negative fun is how much it is in modern

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Aranan posted:

It's good, but it's super boring to lose to someone casting Evincar's Justice with buyback 10 times in a row. I'd recommend a version with creatures (sea gate oracle, mulldrifter, gurmag angler). Or the U/B control deck a page or two ago.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Want a really fun Teachings deck for paper? Skred Teachings. Here's the list I made in paper:

quote:

4 Brainstorm
4 Counterspell
4 Evolving Wilds
2 Exclude
1 Diabolic Edict
1 Snow-Covered Swamp
1 Snow-Covered Forest
4 Swirling Sandstorm
4 Mystical Teachings
3 Shimmering Grotto
4 Skred
4 Accumulated Knowledge
8 Snow-Covered Island
3 Snow-Covered Mountain
1 Sprout Swarm
4 Terramorphic Expanse
4 Flame Slash
4 Prohibit

4 Gurmag Angler
2 Ancient Grudge
3 Hydroblast
4 Pyroblast
2 Electrickery

Sprout Swarm is a very fast win condition in paper. It is very much not good for MTGO. This list was made a few months ago, so it'd be updated with more Ash Barrens soon.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Aranan posted:

Something like this?

I was playing something like this before they screwed everything up, with some random changes - usually to the removal - depending on what people were playing. Haven't really played pauper since then but I was pretty successful with it.

Death of Rats
Oct 2, 2005

SQUEAK

Boco_T posted:

Thanks for posting this. Sticking Bonesplitter on Squadron Hawk is one of my favourite things to do in pauper, and I hadn't noticed that Elite Vanguard was pauper legal now. Might try to fit a couple of Razor Golems in there, since I love that little (huge) guy, and maybe try to go up to 20 lands to make better use of Thraben Inspector. The one-of Sky Skiff in 50% of the decks sounds cool, too.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Kuldotha Jeskai isn't bad. It loses to decks with better lategame like Teachings and Tron, but having a pile of undercosted flyers and cheap instant speed removal means it's quite favored against Delver and it generally hoses most aggro decks since you bolt all their early plays and then grind them out with your draw engine.

Aranan
May 21, 2007

Release the Kraken
For what it's worth, I decided the first four pauper decks I'm building are mono black control, Izzet blitz, affinity, and white weenie. I'll add to this collection in a week or two with something like Angler-Delver, Elves, and that goofy Freed from the Real combo deck. Whee, cheap decks!

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
That's fine if and only if you call it "Izzet Blizzet."

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

The Pauper League has closed, so Drake is now dead. Good night you scaly bastard, I'll always remember you. Now to wait a day for the treasure chests to be stocked with boosters instead of play points.

Stats since September: 264 games played in Pauper, 75% winrate. Winnings bought me into Legacy Miracles and Vintage Mentor/Paradox. Drake was totally unreasonable and I hope WotC has learned that a free 2/3 flier is better than a 1/1 flier, and that untapping 5 lands is more powerful than untapping 2 lands.

also probably should go ahead and ban stuff when it warps the metagame and has a high winrate and has the lion's share of the 5-0 spots

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
Glad to see this thread really took off when I wasn't paying attention. I've really enjoyed running Goblins. I think something to keep in mind when you're getting into Pauper, and MTGO specifically, is that you want to play a faster deck so that you do not time out as you learn the online system and various decks in the format. Part of me really wants to play some sort of combo in the format, but I don't really like any of the decks. Goblins for now will have to do.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
Is there even a halfway decent combo deck remaining without Drake or Storm? There's 1 land burrito but that sure doesn't count.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

PJOmega posted:

Is there even a halfway decent combo deck remaining without Drake or Storm? There's 1 land burrito but that sure doesn't count.

Freed from the Real is fine, Midnight Gond would be fine if Delver didn't exist, and I plan on using the Chittering Rat + Mnemonic Wall + Ghostly Flicker combo to close out games with Teachings, but nothing nearly as dumb as Drake.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009

Hellsau posted:

Freed from the Real is fine, Midnight Gond would be fine if Delver didn't exist, and I plan on using the Chittering Rat + Mnemonic Wall + Ghostly Flicker combo to close out games with Teachings, but nothing nearly as dumb as Drake.

What's your experience with Freed? It seems way, way too fragile at a glance.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hellsau posted:

Freed from the Real is fine, Midnight Gond would be fitne if Delver didn't exist, and I plan on using the Chittering Rat + Mnemonic Wall + Ghostly Flicker combo to close out games with Teachings, but nothing nearly as dumb as Drake.

How is Gond's problem Delver decks and no the fact that they're trying to stick an aura on a creature that dies to bolt in Spot Removal: The Format?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

How is Gond's problem Delver decks and no the fact that they're trying to stick an aura on a creature that dies to bolt in Spot Removal: The Format?

Because Gond decks can be built to just be a tokens deck that uses the Gond combo to go over the top when needed. Delver does not give a poo poo how many two mana 1/1s you play when it can just fly over and kill you, while also countering your Scatters and Snapping anything you try to enchant.

PJOmega posted:

What's your experience with Freed? It seems way, way too fragile at a glance.

Gigadrowse is a messed up Magic card and goes a long way to giving you free reign to go off, or let you go off with only enough mana for one Counterspell. We'll see how quickly everyone goes back to MBC and junky Metalcraft value decks.

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007
When I said combo, I was mostly referring to the reanimator deck in the format that seems super fringe. I also play TTB and Goryo's Vengeance in Modern, so I'm drawn to that kind of deck.

Dehtraen
Jul 30, 2004

Keep the faith alive

Hellsau posted:

Gigadrowse is a messed up Magic card and goes a long way to giving you free reign to go off, or let you go off with only enough mana for one Counterspell.

Gigadrowse makes the all kill spells or all counters matchup a lot smoother. I have found the tougher matchups are fast aggro where you don't have the time to set up due to your life total being pressured and the t1 delver, t2 blind flip, counter everything you play gameplan.

A lot of players play the matchup improperly, tap out at the wrong time, or a gigadrowse just wrecks them

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Dehtraen posted:

Gigadrowse makes the all kill spells or all counters matchup a lot smoother. I have found the tougher matchups are fast aggro where you don't have the time to set up due to your life total being pressured and the t1 delver, t2 blind flip, counter everything you play gameplan.

A lot of players play the matchup improperly, tap out at the wrong time, or a gigadrowse just wrecks them

You forgot to mention that it blind Flipped on a Daze. Which it always does.

Walked
Apr 14, 2003

So I've been having some fun with Mono-U Delver in pauper; so far so good.

Debating pulling another deck together.

Suggestions now that drake is out to pasture? I play Jund in Modern, and D&T legacy. So either something wildly different, or something BG grindy would be cool.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

You could play Tron, I think that's still a deck.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

UB Control is fine. Grixis Metalcraft is grindy af and pretty fun. RUG Tron is alright if you don't mind not beating aggro ever in game 1.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
If you like grindy as gently caress BG decks there's always Tortured Existence.

If you like good decks that win games, though, it's probably not the deck for you. Sultai Morbid might do it better?

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Welp opened those 54 chests, got 118 tickets in stuff plus a bunch of new cards like Leovold which have literally no price right now. Good times. Packs being in boosters is real nice.

Also the art on Ash Barrens is actually really sweet.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

I may be missing something real obvious, but what's the difference between blue elemental blast (ten cents) and hydroblast ($5) for these decks? The decks all suggest hydroblast but that seems silly unless there's something I'm missing. Pyroblast and Red Elemental Blast seem to be about the same price.