Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

moush
Aug 19, 2009

Rage Your Dream
Anyone got any good aristocrats lists? Want to try beetle.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
What do you see as the big, if any, movers and shakers from Amonkhet?

Vital Signs
Oct 17, 2007

PJOmega posted:

What do you see as the big, if any, movers and shakers from Amonkhet?
Embalm could be interesting.

PJOmega
May 5, 2009
The Cartouches really bump boggles up. Especially in the burn heavy environment that people seem to like around here.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

PJOmega posted:

The Cartouches really bump boggles up. Especially in the burn heavy environment that people seem to like around here.

oh good bogles getting a boost

great

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

NEVER FUCKING TAKE A NIGHT OFF CLAN WARS.
Time to bring this Pauper poo poo back. We might finally be out of our aggro-combo nightmare. First, a control list:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/deck/692075#paper

First, this deck can't beat Tron. It would require far too many concessions from other matchups to make the Tron matchup anywhere close to even, so I've just abandoned it. Load your sideboard with a bunch of Choking Sands and pray they have a lovely draw if that's a problem. Second, it can't beat the next deck without a lucky Recoil - it can beat the shittier Chittering Rats based flicker decks, and it can beat more dedicated UB control decks since it's playing better cards, but it can't beat a Flicker deck with more creatures, card draw and a substantial mana advantage. If the Familiar deck gets more popular, then this deck won't be a good choice without major revisions (possibly going up to eight counters main plus a sideboard revision, but that will probably kill your Delver and Stompy matchups). Aside from those matchups, this deck is built specifically to prey on poorly built midrange/control decks and all of the various creature aggro decks. The removal suite lets you kill the early threats your enemies produce, and then you have a bunch of creatures hanging out to block while you setup to chain Mulldrifters, and eventually you'll be able to draw enough cards that you can remove every creature your opponents can play. Having one Mancer, one Horror and one Flicker gives you an end-game plan, with one Teachings to find the Flicker or the Reaping the Graves in matchups where that's needed. The Mulldrifter in the sideboard should probably be maindeck since it always comes in, but the slots are pretty limited since you really need everything except maybe one of the Edicts or the fourth Counterspell. If you need more sideboard space, figure out how to cram the fourth Mulldrifter into the maindeck.

Matchups:

• Burn is a problem until you side in 2 Duress and 4 Hydroblast, a Prohibit, a Chainer's and a Mulldrifter and side out the removal that doesn't efficiently kill Thermal Alchemist, at which point you will win 90% of your post-board games. Game one if they draw too many creatures so you can use your removal, you'll probably survive long enough to beat them to death with 1/3s and 2/2s, countering Curses and Fireblasts and trying to setup Flicker + Mancer on a lifegain land. Use Recoils on opposing Mountains to deny them food for Fireblasts, or on their recurring damage sources to buy time.
  • Stompy is a good matchup. Kill any 1 drop ASAP to delay them, try to have an answer available for Hunger of the Howlpack shenanigans, and Rancor is their best card by a mile so try to counter it (or prevent them from feeling safe to cast it into possible removal.) The Snuff Out can lead to some incredible blowouts if you can sneak it in when they try to Rancor a creature up. Side in the Wail, Zombies, Prohibit, Chainer's, Duresses and Mulldrifter, take out the Recoil, Horror, Reaping, Flicker, Mancer and some number of Brainstorms plus a land - Brainstorm isn't great when all your cards are great.
  • RDW is a shittier version of Stompy without Rancor. If you kill their first turn play, you will most likely win by playing a bunch more removal and 1/3s. Side in the Blasts, Prohibit, Edict and Mulldrifter, take out the Recoil, Horror, Snuff Out, Reaping, Flicker, Soul Manipulation and a Brainstorm on the play/Ash Barrens on the draw.
  • Various Kor Skyfisher decks are simple enough. You play Mulldrifter which is much better than a Glint Hawk. Survive long enough and you will outcard them. If you haven't Recoiled a Journey to Nowhere that's exiled an Archaeomancer or Mulldrifter, it feels really good. Try to avoid letting them have enough creatures to make Rally the Peasants a threat - if they cast Battle Screech and they have just a Thraben Inspector in play, go ahead and kill the 1/2 so they can't immediately flash the Screech back. Side in the Mulldrifter, Wail, Prohibit, Duresses, Annuls (their deck doesn't function without a 2-drop artifact, Duress and Annul both give you options to delay them for a long time by eliminating their 2-drop) and possibly some number of Hydroblasts if you've seen Kuldotha Rebirths (they can counter opposing Pyroblasts, but that alone isn't enough) and take out Snuff Out, some Edicts, and some other removal/Brainstorms. They will almost certainly have Relic of Progenitus, but Relic is awful - if they just keep it in play, you can exile your Ash Barrens/removal/other spells and keep your creatures, and eventually just build up to a point where you can cast Archaeomancer to force them to crack it, and then Reaping back a bunch of creatures to close the game out. Relic is terrible. Disfigure basically only killing Glint Hawk and not killing Kor Skyfisher is awkward, Ghastly Demise kind of gets owned by Relic but is otherwise great, Tragic Slip requires some works, and Edicts are pretty bad if they kill an Inspector or a token. Recoil is absurdly good because they have bouncelands, tokens and Journeys, while also being just an adequate way to buy time by hitting a Kor Skyfisher.
  • Delver is an actual good matchup, and that's the reason why I really like this deck. You can kill all their early garbage creatures to stop them from enacting their game plan, you have a bunch of 1/3s to block any Ninjas that do slip through, and Mulldrifter is great. Side in the Wail, Prohibit, Geist, Mulldrifter, Edict and possibly Duresses if you can play around Spellstutter Sprite (or if they're not playing the Faerie package), take out Recoil, Horror, Flicker and some number of Brainstorms + a land on the draw. If they have Relic, take out Ghastly Demise and Reaping.
  • The various Black and Blue control decks are all good matchups. Try to force through your creatures, especially Mulldrifters, and try to setup a good Reaping before they find a Bojuka Bog.
  • Affinity is tough game one if they have early 4/4s plus the Atog combo. If they never draw an Atog until you have counter mana up, you can kill all their creatures and eventually hold up removal + Counterspell and they can't go for the Atog. After sideboard put in all four Hydroblasts, the Duresses, the Edict, the Mulldrifter and the Annuls (which kind of suck, but they're mostly for Tron and the Skyfisher matches, and Annuling literally any artifact early game slows Affinity down a lot) and take out the Recoil, Horror, Flicker, Reaping, Teachings, Disfigures and a Brainstorm and an Ash Barrens. Your goal is to kill every creature they play and eventually start resolving Mulldrifters. Duress is to take early artifacts, take away Pyroblasts so you can resolve stuff, or just know whether you need to worry about getting Atog comboed. If they play a Relic game 2, take out the Mancer and Ghastly Demise for the land and Brainstorm on the play, or two Disfigures on the draw.
  • Tron is unwinnable, they just have more counters than you and more mana than you and cast more Mulldrifters than you.
  • Elves is a joke matchup. Kill their Priest if it's turn 2, kill their Timberwatch/Huntmaster/Vanguard in that order (those are the only actual threats in the deck) and use your Edicts as early as possible, since killing a mana elf and slowing them down is much better than killing a Sylvan Ranger. Distant Melody could be a threat, except you most likely can just kill so many creatures that it will draw between 0 and 3 cards.
  • Bogles is an easy matchup if they don't have the perfect draw, and a close matchup if they do. If they cannot find a Bogle, White Mana, an Armor/Mask, a source of trample, AND Edict protection, you will eventually kill all their stuff. If they have a 6/4 Trample first strike on turn 2 with a Young Wolf or a token in play, well whatever. Bring in the Wail to sweep up their dorky 1/1s so your Edicts can take over.
  • UR Fiend is a much easier matchup. Kill everything they play, bring in the Edict and the Hydroblasts and you will have much more removal than they have creatures in their deck.
  • UW Tireless Tribe/Inside Out combo is a good matchup, assuming you don't get turn 2ed on the play and assuming you draw the removal that matters. That deck is basically garbage if they don't have an early Tribe, but there's not much you can do if they just play a Tireless Tribe on turn 1 and you only have Disfigures available as removal. The version with Delver is much worse against you than the version with Squadron Hawk, but either of those cards are terrible against your removal suite and don't exactly protect them from Edicts since you can just kill their Delvers/Hawks, though it does suck getting 4-for-1ed by Squadron Hawk.
  • White Weenie is a terrible deck, don't play it, but since people want to play their White Weenies, you have an easy matchup at least. Don't let them have enough creatures in play where a Rally the Peasants would be a problem, keep the field clear so you can Edict Guardian of the Guildpacts (or just take 2 a turn and if they try to Gift of Orzhova it, own them with Recoil) and eventually you'll be able to resolve Mulldrifters.

Pwew that was a lot of words about a deck I'm not playing! What am I playing? This poo poo:

Why yes, that is indeed 5 Mulldrifter triggers on turn 6. This deck is fun as all hell. 420Dragon came up with the original list (and he was a Drake player that I respected when that was still around) and his list is fine, but I hate not having a Teachings in this deck to find the Reaping the Graves when that's needed, and this deck plays a lot better without the Nightscape Familiars that make the mana much more difficult than it needs to be. The manabase probably needs a rework, since there are a few too many lands that make for unkeepable hands, but I'm getting flooded a lot with 21 lands already and the bouncelands are necessary so the only changes would be to swap some of the fetches for more gain lands. Brainstorm is absurdly good in this deck, since it really can be just an Ancestral Recall when you're drawing two bouncelands and a spell and putting two other lands back or getting rid of the cards that don't matter in the matchup. Depending on how the metagame shifts, more Lone Missionaries or Stonehorn Dignitaries into the maindeck might be wanted, but there's enough card draw to try to find the one you want when you want it, and you can side the rest in. General notes since I don't have enough matches in to go too far in depth for each matchup:

• Burn is extremely hard to lose post-sideboard, and if you find a lifegain land or the Lone Missionary game one you can setup a Flicker combo and win. Snapping the opposing Thermal Alchemist can lead to some really explosive plays in the early game as well.
  • You will win all opposing control mirrors. With the Familiar you get to get a massive mana advantage, you have enough dorky creatures that Edicts don't do anything, you can just run your Oracles and Mulldrifters into counters and eventually Teachings for Reaping and then the game's over. Gigadrowse post-board enables you to play a long game where you just make land drops, play your card draw when needed, and eventually build up 5-6 blue mana to tap your opponent's mana out at the end of turn, untap and play a bunch of Familiars, and card-draw creatures all at once. This is kind of why I don't want to play the first UB Control list - the Familiar game plan simply beats control.
  • Stonehorn Dignitary makes a mockery of most of the creature-combo decks. What is White Weenie going to do when you play out a Stonehorn Dignitary? Journey to Nowhere it? Oh hey here's a Dinrova Horror, thanks for playing. Siding into four Dignitaries really enables some messed up games. Affinity can be a problem, since if you're just stopping their combat they can still Atog+Fling you, and that's where the Hydroblasts come in. It turns out if the Atog can never attack, you can just hold up Hydroblast and they have to commit pretty hard, at which point you can Hydroblast their Fling, and if they have an answer you can Snap something to untap some mana and Teachings for another Blast. It's pretty messed up.
  • Delver is a tough matchup, I believe. I've only faced it once, and had some laughably bad draws, but you don't have any removal to make them stumble, and their Lightning Bolts and Skreds actually matter. 420Dragon had two COP:Blues, which might need to go back into the board.
  • UW Tribe/Inside Out is silly. If you survive until turn 4, you're going to win. If you get turn 2ed, well there ain't anything you can do about that. If they don't find a Tribe before you have a Familiar in play they're probably going to lose. Post-board you get to play Strands and Dignitaries and Dispels to ensure you'll win if they don't play a turn 1 or 2 Tribe, but if they have the Tribe + Circular Logic + Inside Out you're dead, move onto the next match.

This deck still needs some work, since I'm not particularly happy with how many times I've flooded out after missing my third land drop, but I'm not sure where to start. There's not much to be trimmed that doesn't severely impact a particular matchup or the core gameplan - taking out the maindeck Missionary or Dignitary for another land makes your game one matches against certain decks basically unwinnable, and there isn't a spell that I actually want in the maindeck. The deck is already incredibly fun, so everyone should play it assuming they're not extremely slow MTGO players and/or lagging.

Pauper metagame health opinions: Ban Delver and Gush and Ghostly Flicker, WotC. Delver is stupid - the loving Tireless Tribe combo decks play 4 Tireless Tribes and four Delver of Secrets, which don't work AT ALL with their primary game plan, but just playing two 3/2 fliers for one mana each wins so many games that it's worth having a useless card when they don't just flip. The card is too powerful when it blind flips, just ban the stupid thing. Gush is also probably too strong, the Delver, Kiln Fiend and Tribe decks get a lot of their power on the back of Gush. The card is too strong for Legacy, it's restricted in Vintage, and blue is the best color in Pauper. Ban Gush. Ghostly Flicker is probably too strong, it keeps popping up, ban it and if a deck pops up that uses Displace instead, ban that too. Flicker being able to target gainlife lands, lands targeted by LD spells, or artifacts like Prophetic Prisms (the UBG Tron decks do that sometimes) is just too versatile and if the effect isn't too good for Pauper and some cool deck wants it, hey we have Displace. Ghostly Flicker's been in so many of the most broken Pauper decks that it's probably safe to chuck it AND Displace out as a cautionary measure.

While we're at it, Rancor probably needs to go. It's by far the most powerful green card, which means maybe it shouldn't be banned since it's what's keeping Stompy alive, but the games where Stompy draws Rancor, the deck is far and away more powerful than when it doesn't. It's like if you could play a Mox instead of a land - your deck is otherwise unchanged, except the times you draw your absurdly good card your chance to win greatly increases simply because you happened to draw your bomb. And if banning Delver, Gush and Flicker doesn't stop blue decks from being too much of the metagame, Mulldrifter is probably next on the chopping block. Mulldrifter is just the best top end in the format at a reasonable 5 mana, and it's stapled onto a Divination that can be brought back with Raise Dead effects. If Mulldrifter is gone, MBC might not be such a joke.

e:

UB Control opponent, looking at their fate and choosing to end it all.

Hellsau fucked around with this message at 07:54 on Jul 11, 2017

Fajita Queen
Jun 21, 2012

Just ban the color blue imo.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

"Life is a maze. This is one of its dead ends.

I can confirm that Recoil on a Journey to Nowhere on a Mulldrifter is the dream. Also a delight is EOT Ray of Revelation both of your Journeys on both of my Mulldrifters.

Also yeah I've been saying pretty much everything you've been saying for like a year and a half. Ban Delver and Rancor, probably Flicker and maybe Displace. I got really bored of pauper and I haven't bothered playing it in a long time so I can't say anything about Gush being too good or whatever. But I do know whenever I played against Delver in the past, Gush followed by Brainstorm followed by a shuffle was the exact point where I lost so many games that I had previously stabilized.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

god bless you, Hellsau. good to see Legacy powerhouse Snuff Out in your list

e: if you recoil a noble, kindhearted Journey to Nowhere, that should be illegal, and you should go to jail

Johnny Five-Jaces fucked around with this message at 18:41 on Jul 11, 2017

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!

Hellsau posted:

Pwew that was a lot of words about a deck I'm not playing! What am I playing? This poo poo:

I've been messing around with this and it's a lot of fun, planning on putting a paper version together to run at the next tournament near here. Cut the ponders for preordains, cut an ash barrens (I only have 3 and I ain't paying 3 tix or whatever for a 4th) and some evolving wilds for uw gainlands and dropped deep anal and a dignitary for cop:blue. Casting teachings for 2 for a snap which you play for 1 to untap 4 mana worth of lands to flicker which returns teachings to your hand which you cast for two is so much fun I'm not sure I care what else is going on.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Died in the top 4 of the Pauper Challenge, would have won if my opponent did not topdeck a Counterspell. I probably could have won if I had played differently (the opponent had one card in hand and they chose not to counter my Mnemonic Wall, and chose to counter the Flicker I got back instead, had I just waited a turn I would have been able to win through that.) Flicker deck is great. Current list:

Played against UB Flicker, Affinity, UR Delver (who beat me in the top 4), UB Angler Control, UB Flicker, whatever Mlovbo was playing (I conceded before seeing since I was locked for top 8 and wanted to take a break). Top 8 was some UB Delver Angler Exhume monstrosity that looked sweet but I don't give a poo poo about Gurmag Angler so it wasn't close, and then lost to UR Delver. Basically, ban Delver and Flicker and Gush still. There's no reason to keep Delver in the format anymore. It's too good for no work.

Probably just gonna go up to 3 Circles of Protection, possibly moving a second Dignitary to the main in place of a cantrip. There's so much goddamn Affinity and Burn in the leagues that going lower than 4 Missionaries/4 Stonehorns in the 75 seems incorrect.

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

Hellsau, as pauper whisperer, I need you to explain this thing to me:

https://www.mtggoldfish.com/archetype/pauper-ubg-39542#paper

I guess the joke is that you're ramping into 3 and 4 mana land destruction spells and then... ???

are pauper mana bases that land-light and bad that this works?

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

Johnny Five-Jaces posted:

I guess the joke is that you're ramping into 3 and 4 mana land destruction spells and then... ???

As with everything, the joke is Ghostly Flicker + Mnemonic Wall.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

That looks like a natural evolution of the (unplayable) RG Ponza/Ramp deck, switching the lovely red cards for blue cards that do things. Mwonvuli Acid-Moss is actually a sick beating, it's just there hasn't been a good deck for it since Aurochs Herd was a playable card. That decklist appears to be abandoning their aggro and Delver matchups to try to beat up on the various bounceland and Tron decks, and just got lucky to never face a decent Affinity draw or turn 1 Delver blind flip. This deck also doesn't run any acceleration except for the Scout, so it's much less likely to get turn 2 LD, turn 3 LD, turn 4 LD and have the opposing aggro deck just never draw anymore lands.

Not running a Teachings with this deck seems like a gross error though.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Played against that UGb LD deck. It's unplayable garbage. I beat it rather convincingly with Familiars, a deck with 6 bouncelands and difficult color requirements. It seems like that deck literally only beats Tron and opponents who never draw out of the mana screw.

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

This is how your posting feels.
🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
Losing to a three color deck with six (6!!!) loving bouncelands while playing LD sounds pretty goddamn shameful.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

Losing to a three color deck with six (6!!!) loving bouncelands while playing LD sounds pretty goddamn shameful.

I mean I had a hand with Ash Barrens and three bouncelands, got hit with Temporal Spring on turn 2 (zero permanents) and won. They never drew a Mulldrifter in 25 cards so they died while I made lots of land drops. I didn't even find a Familiar that game!

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥
While we're on the subject, what's the deal with Sakura-Tribe Scout over any mana dork that doesn't need you to have extra lands in your hand in order to make mana? Apparently they're like 50 cents a pop online, so I suppose there's something to it?

EDIT: Also Temporal Springs seems really questionable as an LD card since the goal is not just to slow them down, but ideally to run them out of lands entirely. Putting it back on top for them to draw next turn doesn't seem as good as just killing it.

Voyager I fucked around with this message at 08:00 on Jul 20, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Voyager I posted:

While we're on the subject, what's the deal with Sakura-Tribe Scout over any mana dork that doesn't need you to have extra lands in your hand in order to make mana? Apparently they're like 50 cents a pop online, so I suppose there's something to it?

EDIT: Also Temporal Springs seems really questionable as an LD card since the goal is not just to slow them down, but ideally to run them out of lands entirely. Putting it back on top for them to draw next turn doesn't seem as good as just killing it.

Scouts are 50 cents because of the Modern Amulet deck, and you use them here because they're really good with bouncelands. Going turn 2 Thermokarst, turn 3 Sylvan Ranger + Thermokarst is good too.

Temporal Spring also hits non-lands, which I assume is the only possible way for that deck to beat any aggro deck.

Jock Seppuku
Apr 16, 2008

Hellsau posted:

Died in the top 4 of the Pauper Challenge, would have won if my opponent did not topdeck a Counterspell. I probably could have won if I had played differently (the opponent had one card in hand and they chose not to counter my Mnemonic Wall, and chose to counter the Flicker I got back instead, had I just waited a turn I would have been able to win through that.) Flicker deck is great. Current list:

Played against UB Flicker, Affinity, UR Delver (who beat me in the top 4), UB Angler Control, UB Flicker, whatever Mlovbo was playing (I conceded before seeing since I was locked for top 8 and wanted to take a break). Top 8 was some UB Delver Angler Exhume monstrosity that looked sweet but I don't give a poo poo about Gurmag Angler so it wasn't close, and then lost to UR Delver. Basically, ban Delver and Flicker and Gush still. There's no reason to keep Delver in the format anymore. It's too good for no work.

Probably just gonna go up to 3 Circles of Protection, possibly moving a second Dignitary to the main in place of a cantrip. There's so much goddamn Affinity and Burn in the leagues that going lower than 4 Missionaries/4 Stonehorns in the 75 seems incorrect.

The guy playing that UB Reanimator deck you played against in the quarters was kungfutrees, who uploads most of his challenge runs to YouTube. Here's your match against him:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_iXlIeG_bQA

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

trillocity posted:

The guy playing that UB Reanimator deck you played against in the quarters was kungfutrees, who uploads most of his challenge runs to YouTube. Here's your match against him:

i know this reveals me to be a terrible magic player but ash barrens into bounceland, float colorless, landcycle ash barrens was.... well it was erotic

Hellsau posted:

Played against that UGb LD deck. It's unplayable garbage. I beat it rather convincingly with Familiars, a deck with 6 bouncelands and difficult color requirements. It seems like that deck literally only beats Tron and opponents who never draw out of the mana screw.

i am unsurprised to learn this but I want desperately to be able to cast Temporal Springs

Some Numbers
Sep 28, 2006

"LET'S GET DOWN TO WORK!!"

i know this reveals me to be a terrible magic player but ash barrens into bounceland, float colorless, landcycle ash barrens was.... well it was erotic

As soon as the turn one Ash Barrens was played, I knew what was happening.

A million years ago, my friend and I used to make similar lines with cycling lands in Prismastic.

suicidesteve
Jan 4, 2006

I made that same play against you in paper before! :argh:

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

we haven't played since ash barrens was printed you dingus

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

we haven't played since ash barrens was printed you dingus

Float > bounce > cycle has already been a pauper thing forever with the regular cycling lands though.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
Somehow my brain never processed that I should do that with ash barrens as well since the only deck I commonly run them in is UR delver which doesn't run bounce lands.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

trillocity posted:

Yeah I saw that. My opponent just totally misunderstood the matchup it seems. I do not care about their Delve creatures at all - I'm running four Snaps! If they're investing resources in running out a Delve creature, I'll just Snap it, wasting their mana, their graveyard stockpile, and Dark Ritualling myself. Also, he mentioned that he should have held onto the Nihil Spellbomb longer, which is only true because the time to pop that thing was before I got to flashback Teachings. My draws that second game were truly horrendous, and if he just used their stupid Spellbomb to effectively counter my spell and give himself a card earlier, I might have run out of resources. Graveyard removal is pretty garbage - at best it eats a Mnemonic Wall, at worst it strangles the Relic/Spellbomb player's mana and cards while doing absolutely nothing until I can establish a scenario where I force them to pop it, and then Reaping five creatures back in response. I think my opponent would have been better off just taking out their Delve creatures and just trying to get me with an early blindflip Delver or Exhumed 5/5 Hexproof. That would have run straight into my CoP: Blue, but they didn't know about that at the time. It's just too dangerous to run out an Angler early since if I have a Snap, it's effectively game over, and if you hold onto it until you have a reasonably stocked graveyard there isn't much you can be doing in the meantime that I care about. The matchup seemed nearly unwinnable for them since they just couldn't kill Familiars at all.

uPen posted:

Somehow my brain never processed that I should do that with ash barrens as well since the only deck I commonly run them in is UR delver which doesn't run bounce lands.

Yeah UR Delver not running bouncelands makes Ash Barrens a lot worse, since you basically can never afford to just play it since it casts eight spells in the entire deck.

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

It's game 2 against Stompy, I've won, and my opponent is just activating their Scattershot Archers at the end of turn with no flying creatures in play. They're already down 4 minutes. I ask them why they're doing this and:

God this deck crushes Stompy something fierce. I need to find a more reliable sideboard strategy for the Boros decks (the matchup is fine, it's just awkward having too many situational cards) and figure out a way to beat Tron when they loving have Natural Tron and Signet/Prism and I'm golden.

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!
I'm playing this trash pile at our pauper tourney :getin:

Deck: mono-White Steel

//Lands
4 Ancient Den
4 Darksteel Citadel
9 Plains

//Spells
2 Bone Saw
4 Bonesplitter
2 Cogworker's Puzzleknot
3 Flayer Husk
4 Tooth of Chiss-Goria

//Creatures
4 Ardent Recruit
4 Auriok Sunchaser
4 Court Homunculus
4 Frogmite
4 Glint Hawk
4 Memnite
4 Thraben Inspector

//Sideboard
4 Apostle's Blessing
4 Fragmentize
2 Leave No Trace
3 Sunlance
2 Tormod's Crypt

Display deck statistics

Duskfiend fucked around with this message at 05:51 on Jul 22, 2017

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Memnite isn't a common. Did you mean Myr Enforcer?

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

Hellsau posted:

Memnite isn't a common. Did you mean Myr Enforcer?

I realized this after I uploaded and replaced -4 Memnite with +2 puzzleknot, +1 husk and +1 bone saw

MisterOblivious
Mar 17, 2010

by sebmojo

Duskfiend posted:

I'm playing this trash pile at our pauper tourney :getin:

Deck: mono-White Steel

W Metalcraft is pretty neato. I've thought about putting it together and pick up parts as I browse the commons boxes.

Here's a pile I'm thinking about taking to Pauper tomorrow. Thermo-Alchemist, Impact Tremors, Firebrand Archer and a bunch of instant/sorcery token generators to trigger them. Still need to cut 6, suggestions? Sideboard is up in the air; I don't know what our meta is like right now so I'll probably ask beforehand. Definitely have to figure out where I put them or buy some more Veteran Armorers. Will probably drop some of the anti-Bogles SB cards like Patrician's Scorn and maybe Standard Bearer if nobody is borrowing the shop's loaner.

Deck: Ping Pals

//Pingers
4 Firebrand Archer
4 Impact Tremors
4 Thermo-Alchemist

//Token Generators
4 Dragon Fodder
4 Gather the Townsfolk
4 Krenko's Command
4 Raise the Alarm
4 Triplicate Spirits

//Pump
4 Rally the Peasants
4 Ramosian Rally

//Because there are Mountains in the deck
4 Lightning Bolt

//Maybe?
1 Boros Garrison
1 Cenn's Enlistment
1 Desert
1 Faithless Looting
1 Guardians' Pledge
1 Mogg War Marshal
1 Needle Drop
1 Quicksand
1 Sundering Growth

//Lands
9 Mountain
9 Plains
4 Wind-Scarred Crag

//Sideboard
1 Apostle's Blessing
1 Electrickery
1 Faithless Looting
1 Fragmentize
2 Journey to Nowhere
1 Lumithread Field
1 Patrician's Scorn
1 Prismatic Strands
1 Pyroblast
1 Relic of Progenitus
1 Smash to Smithereens
1 Standard Bearer
1 Veteran Armorer

Display deck statistics

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

Have you all considered a Flicker deck?

good times

god drat does it crush stompy

Johnny Five-Jaces
Jan 21, 2009

every time i think about playing modo, or basically any game online where I would have to interact with the online public, I am reminded how big of a mistake that is

Duskfiend
Apr 5, 2011

Awwwk! Awwwk!

every time i think about playing modo, or basically any game online where I would have to interact with the online public, I am reminded how big of a mistake that is

MisterOblivious posted:

Here's a pile I'm thinking about taking to Pauper tomorrow. Thermo-Alchemist, Impact Tremors, Firebrand Archer and a bunch of instant/sorcery token generators to trigger them. Still need to cut 6, suggestions? Sideboard is up in the air; I don't know what our meta is like right now so I'll probably ask beforehand. Definitely have to figure out where I put them or buy some more Veteran Armorers. Will probably drop some of the anti-Bogles SB cards like Patrician's Scorn and maybe Standard Bearer if nobody is borrowing the shop's loaner.

Deck: Ping Pals

looks sweet my dude

Hellsau
Jan 14, 2010

So I just won on a mull to 3 against the 90+ card Teachings deck with no win conditions while playing Familiars. Don't play a control deck with no win conditions.

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

This deck is a lot of fun, thanks for posting it. Nothing like blocking an agressive deck from attacking for six turns in a row when you're at one life and finally killing them :v:

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

Hellsau posted:

So I just won on a mull to 3 against the 90+ card Teachings deck with no win conditions while playing Familiars. Don't play a control deck with no win conditions.

So is 90-card Teaching just a pile of counters and removal with literally no win condition other than waiting for your opponent to run out of cards / run out of time / find something better to do with their life?

little munchkin
Aug 15, 2010

Voyager I posted:

So is 90-card Teaching just a pile of counters and removal with literally no win condition other than waiting for your opponent to run out of cards / run out of time / find something better to do with their life?

that's the backup wincon, with the primary one being pristine talisman + casting evincar's justice over and over again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Voyager I
Jun 29, 2012

🐥🐥🐥🐥🐥

little munchkin posted:

that's the backup wincon, with the primary one being pristine talisman + casting evincar's justice over and over again

That's regular teachings (with maybe a single copy of Capsize and Curse of the Bloody Tome as well). I was figuring the point of the extra 30 cards was so you could just dispense entirely with petty things like 'win conditions' and just rely on having a thicker library than your opponent.