Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
:unsmith: i like nice words

Kodilynn posted:

After fostering a child, if we do this again we're going for a gay teen or trans-gendered kid to give them love and support so they have a chance at life. We have a massive population of kids 12-16 displaced because of their lifestyle choices and no other reason.
If you really want to help a gay kid, it's important not to think being gay is a "lifestyle choice."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
There are two kids in my extended family that may be in a position where they need to be long-term fostered or adopted. My parents want to have the kids. There's nobody else in the family who would take them afaik. My parents are already talking with excitement about how they're gonna teach the kids how to obey, and what no means, jump when they say jump, etc. etc. My parents would definitely hit them, sometimes deliberately and sometimes in anger. Both kids are under 5.

1. If the kids do need to be placed (iffy) and my parents volunteer (definitely), would CPS ask around first, like would they want to interview me?

2. If I talk to CPS, should I torpedo my parents' application? They don't drink or do drugs or anything, and there's no sexual abuse and they would love them, there's just plenty of hitting and yelling. I'm really not sure whether that would be better or worse than a random nonkinship placement.

My parents also have no money and my dad has health issues, so those would be good cover reasons to deny them. I just don't know whether another foster family would be even worse.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
I don't live with them, we're all in different states.

My parents would make it through the training fine, nodding in all the right places and passing the tests or whatever. Then they would come home and be like "can you believe liberals think even yelling is abuse now? Kids just need to be hit, can't raise them right otherwise." They aren't dumb enough to fail the training.

Having the kids placed with my parents and then immediately jerked away again would be obv destabilizing and not ideal. Either I should torpedo my parents' application before placement, or if my parents are still better than the average foster home, they should stay there.

Anne Whateley
Feb 11, 2007
...and also they're under 5.

No, there's a 0% chance they won't hit them. I actually thought at first they might not -- they've gotten older and maybe mellowed, they obv don't hit me and other kids anymore since we're adults, it could be okay?? But then they were talking so gleefully about how the 3-year-old is just a bad kid and how they're really gonna teach him a lesson, boy, he's not gonna disobey them. I mean they weren't even like reluctant, they were looking forward to it. Another time, I mentioned having kids now wasn't like the '80s, standards are different, people can't do the same stuff now they did then, there would be different requirements if you got these kids...and that's when I got the "can you believe you're not supposed to hit 'em, liberals gone mad" speech.

The kids are in the south, but my parents are in New England, they're from there, there's no Texas "excuse." That said, they also won't beat them with a belt, it's just regular stuff. So the question is just whether that's worse or better than whatever actually happens at a random foster home.

Also unfortunately if they need to be fostered/adopted, it would be because their single mom is not abusive, but dead. She's raising them without hitting or even yelling at them afaik, and it drives my parents up a wall.

Anne Whateley fucked around with this message at 10:12 on Jul 7, 2019