Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Well hey there thread. Can anyone tell me about getting legal guardianship of a child? We have...a possible situation I don't that I can elaborate on much, beyond someone in the family is having a baby and for a lot of various reasons, they might not be in a situation to care for said baby.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

Congrats on the expanded family, Amethyst!

So, again, I want to keep details vague. The baby in question is not yet born but will be making his appearance any time now. The parents want to keep the baby. However there are current legal issues and drug abuse issues, and extended family is fairly concerned for the baby. Of everyone on the father's side of the family, we're in the best position to take in a baby. I don't know a thing about the mother or her family beyond third-hand stories that paint a pretty ugly picture.

So there's a lot of "what ifs" in there, but we know if anything DOES happen and the baby can't stay with his parents, things could move quickly and we want to be prepared.

I don't know what to be prepared for, though. Legal guardianship is the thing that was mentioned to us, but I don't know what, if anything, is going to happen.

RabbitMage
Nov 20, 2008

I guess that's the other part of this. I really don't think it's going to play out the way our extended family thinks it will.

So, complicating factors: we're nowhere near this baby. The parents live in a state that borders ours, but are still about 12 hours away. But currently they're in a state halfway across the country to have their baby delivered by a midwife in the family, because they're afraid of what could happen if they went to a hospital, seeing as both parents have been using and dad has a warrant out for his arrest (which is a different E/N saga involving the girlfriend's mom). Mom HAS been clean for at least a few weeks now, and at least in pictures looks to be healthy. Family told us she was "maybe" smoking meth, but I know what habitual meth users look like, and granted, she's young, but she doesn't look like someone that's been smoking regularly.

The family midwife is housing them both. When/if they return to their home state, I'm not sure of the quality of the support network they have. I have heard that the girlfriend's mother wants to take the baby and not allow any contact, which is part of the reason they're not having the baby there.

It's...all a mess. I'm worried about this kiddo in the long term. But my MIL's "be ready to be handed a baby" is not really how this works.