Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Can you guys reccomend any resources for international adoption? My partner and I are a mixed race couple, he's a male Indian citizen, I am a white female US citizen. We're interested in adopting a kid down the road (probably in 5-7 years). We would like to start laying the ground work for adoption. I have no desire for biological children (I've always been kinda disgusted by birth?), But we really want a kid and think we can do a good job, and give the kid a good fun loving family brave in the face of adversity and try our hardest and aaaaahhhhhhhhh how do you not sound like an idiot jerk on the internet

We're aware our citizenship, lack of religion, mixed race, and other things will probably throw up stumbling blocks.

What reading and training would you recommend? Any advice beyond "have a lot of money"?

I read the whole thread, y'all are brave as hell dealing with the foster system and these kids. We're interested in giving an older (up to pre-schoolish?) kid a home, and open to the possibility of some special needs. We feel like we could handle that much. We're not after perfect adorable baby here. I'm certainly no super-parent like some of you, holy crap you guys are like super heroes.

Anyhoo, how do you avoid the pitfalls of getting ripped off or enabling the stealing of babies and other fun international adoption hijinks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspect Bucket
Jan 14, 2012

SHRIMPDOR WAS A MAN
I mean, HE WAS A SHRIMP MAN
er, maybe also A DRAGON
or possibly
A MINOR LEAGUE BASEBALL TEAM
BUT HE WAS STILL
SHRIMPDOR

Oh yeah. Ideally we would be adopting from his home state, Kerala (where they speak Malayalam). But we would also be open to nearby states, as Mr Bucket is fluent in Hindi and understands a few neighboring languages. We're currently very american in our lifestyle, except in cuisine, that's solidly 50/50 on indian/everything else. But we're hoping to leave the garden apartment for a house in a year or so, and I'm looking for ways to make us more.... International? I dunno. I was going to research it on our month long India honeymoon/ meet the clan in september-october, but COVID has cancelled all of that. We're hoping to go as soon as we can get a vaccine (whenever that will be, possibly years x.x)