Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

Not a foster parent or kid, but I work with quite a few foster families. Most of the ones I work with are the kids who have been through tons of placements, so my experience is definitely more skewed towards kids with higher support needs than others.

I think something that's been well covered so far is being realistic about what you can handle, but I'll throw my two cents in anyway. Be prepared for behavioral issues. You may get yelled at, cussed out, have things in your house get broken, you get the picture. Know what resources are available in your area such as school supports, mental health, etc, so you can get the kids what they need. I can't tell you how heart breaking it is to tell a kid that I know they thought they found their forever home, but it's time to move on because the parents couldn't handle it.

One thing that I love about my favorite foster mom: her bio kids would go to a relative's house to spend the night pretty regularly and it was a big treat. Once she took in her foster kid, her bio kids didn't go over until the relative was ready to have ALL of her kids stay the night. They're part of the family, and the foster mom was drat well going to make sure they were treated as such. When they go on family vacations, that includes the foster kid. It sounds like the folks in this thread are more in line with this than a lot of foster parents, and that is amazing. You all do such needed and challenging work, and we need more of you!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

veggiebacon
Jul 14, 2015

VorpalBunny, you are my favorite type of foster parent, because you are a foster PARENT, not a foster provider.

Thank you.