Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

How do you get the sort of marbled look that these ones have? The blue one looks pretty neat.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Future Wax
Feb 17, 2011

There is no inherent quantity of driving that I can increase!

Dildomancer posted:

Like in many other fields, a lot of it comes down to how good your lawyer is. Current thinking (at least on Tumblr) is that you can't make a clone of a toy, or one with all the same basic features unless It is visually distinguishable. You can't name a toy the same thing as someone else has. "Ovipositor," "chimaera," "hybrid," all that stuff is taken so you need to be creative. The exception here is toys modeled directly off animals: if you're making a horse or dog dildo, it's going to look like the real thing, and that's a clear-cut case of prior art.

Now here's where it gets weird: some artists and their fans are also very protective of color schemes. I got some hatemail because I made a toy that was... red, black, and silver, I think, and unbeknownst to me, that was someone else's signature color scheme. Seems ridiculous to me, but then again, you can copyright and sell colors...

Do you have to keep tabs on what other people are making? Or do you just not purposely copy others' toys and hope that things sort themselves out? Because it seems like there would be a lot to keep track of if you wanted to make sure you didn't accidentally make something similar to another person's design.

• Locked thread