Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

lol this roster split is not going to last more than 3 months

there are no stars. I'm not convinced that Finn Balor can be a top guy, his promos suck and while he's good at wrestling I dont think he can coast on that like Benoit.

Rusev segment was good tho and I thought Lana screaming 'I hate you' was cool and to the point. Roman came off so much like Cena making fun of Edge & Lita back in the day.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
I literally stabbed myself in the face to keep my village from burning down.

jackofarcades
Sep 2, 2011

Okay, I'll admit it took me a bit to get into it... But I think I kinda love this!! I'm Spider-Man!! I'm actually Spider-Man!! HA!

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

there are no stars. I'm not convinced that Finn Balor can be a top guy, his promos suck and while he's good at wrestling I dont think he can coast on that like Benoit.

Rusev segment was good tho and I thought Lana screaming 'I hate you' was cool and to the point. Roman came off so much like Cena making fun of Edge & Lita back in the day.

I mean, it spiked the SD ratings and they held for a week even after the first SD was pretty bad. Sure, if the SD ratings crash you might see them abandon it so they can get some stars back on RAW but I don't know, I think the split is working way better than I thought it would.

Also I think the Olympics probably had something to do with the holding pattern of tonight's raw.

Erebus
Jul 13, 2001

Okay... Keep your head, Steve boy...

The Rusev stuff feels like a rehash of his Cena feud, down to the fact that the heel isn't very heely and the face is being a dick. Rusev is proud of his own accomplishments, runs his mouth about the crowd a little, then Cena/Roman waltzes in and says YEAH WELL YOU SHOULD FIGHT ME. Then when Rusev doesn't agree to it Cena/Roman starts a fight anyway.

I mean, it's still better than Denim Lana, Ziggler Lover but how hard is it to give Rusev something better to boo about than "I got married and I'm happy."

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

mkay0 posted:

Wow, that was loving surreal.

It's insane how hard Steve pushed Dean on the inattentive parents, the dropping out of high school and all that childhood poo poo. Awkward, and horrible tv.

Then, in the middle, a few solid gold nuggets. Shooting on people in back not believing in him, Brock, Vince, cutting the promo on SCSA.

Then, that ending, my god. SCSA throwing down the gauntlet and Dean being totally dumbfounded, that was so, so horrible. Dean saying 'I'll have a run that makes yours look like a joke, old man' or even 'You ain't seen nothing yet!' seemed like such a no-brainier. Dean had a really rough 45 seconds there.

It's amazing that we have the brand split, because this mumbling poo poo will never fly on real TV. Vince will never let someone who acts like that in interviews be the actual ace and its crystal clear why they didn't go with him sooner. Imagine him on Good Morning America. Now, he can be the king of the b-show, do awesome creative poo poo, be the champion and not worry about being the 'face of the company'.

Part of that is Steve's fault. Did you ever see the stuff with Dean on newscasts from the Shield days? He was great. I honestly think it was doomed from the beginning because Steve was SO determined to push the childhood stuff when it's clear that's not what Dean wanted to talk about. Anything that was Dean talking about his history as a wrestling fan or the current product was perfectly fine.

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

RacistGuidingLight posted:

I literally stabbed myself in the face to keep my village from burning down.

whoa dude you sound super loving badass

FUCKFACE MORON
Apr 23, 2010

by sebmojo
I DVR'd RAM because I couldn't watch it tonight, but based on what I've read here I should probably delete it? :haw:

SpiritOfSanDimas
Oct 31, 2012

jackofarcades posted:

I mean, it spiked the SD ratings and they held for a week even after the first SD was pretty bad. Sure, if the SD ratings crash you might see them abandon it so they can get some stars back on RAW but I don't know, I think the split is working way better than I thought it would.

Also I think the Olympics probably had something to do with the holding pattern of tonight's raw.

I don't think its Smackdown's ratings that are going to suffer. I'd be shocked if Raw doesnt start collapsing. The Raws after the initial good split one (which was just surprising more than anything) have been really bad. True about the Olympics, but Raw is gonna have to start going up against football before too long

Cena / Orton will keep Smackdown steady

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

I don't think its Smackdown's ratings that are going to suffer. I'd be shocked if Raw doesnt start collapsing. The Raws after the initial good split one (which was just surprising more than anything) have been really bad. True about the Olympics, but Raw is gonna have to start going up against football before too long

Cena / Orton will keep Smackdown steady

Dude, Raw ratings were always going to crater during football season. The brand split makes business sense because so far Raw's ratings have held pretty steady, SD's have gone up hugely, and much as we think 2 PPVs a month is nuts it makes sense in terms of incentivizing Network subs, which WWE wants.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

there are no stars.

Hope you're excited for SD tomorrow then!

quote:

John Cena, AJ Styles, Erick Rowan, the Usos and Apollo Crews will not appear.

81sidewinder
Sep 8, 2014

Buying stocks on the day of the crash

SpiritOfSanDimas posted:

there are no stars.

Who here thinks that the brand split will be still happening the day after mania? I sure don't

HulkaMatt
Feb 14, 2006

BIG BICEPS SHOHEI

oatgan posted:

poo poo do I have to make the discussion threads now? If someone would be so kind as to slap one together I'll make it look pretty tomorrow and do them going forward

i got it

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

81sidewinder posted:

Who here thinks that the brand split will be still happening the day after mania? I sure don't

Unless Raw ratings and/or Network subs absolutely tank, I'll take that bet. The first brand split lasted what, 7-ish years?

EDIT: Also the other stupid thing about people reading so much into the Ambrose podcast is Steve was largely also low energy for the most part, Dean was probably kinda :wtc: with Steve asking him so much about his childhood, and it's a podcast, not a morning show.

SamuraiFoochs fucked around with this message at 06:41 on Aug 9, 2016

SunshineDanceParty
Feb 7, 2006

One Road. Two Friends. One Ass.
Considering how they promote and present the Steve Austin interviews they really should do some basic pre interview work. It doesn't have to be late night talk show rehearsed and planned, but some grounding points like, "Are you cool with talking about your upbringing?" avoids situations like that.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

SunshineDanceParty posted:

Considering how they promote and present the Steve Austin interviews they really should do some basic pre interview work. It doesn't have to be late night talk show rehearsed and planned, but some grounding points like, "Are you cool with talking about your upbringing?" avoids situations like that.

Exactly. I mean could Dean have rolled with it better? Sure, but it was 100% obvious Dean is super low-key in general (so are Orton and to some degree Reigns for that matter) and Dean's energy visibly picked up when they were actually talking about wrestling.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

sam bradford lmao posted:

I DVR'd RAM because I couldn't watch it tonight, but based on what I've read here I should probably delete it? :haw:
It was a good RAM, goons are goons. Y2KO is always great, Rollins cut a great promo, Cesaro and Sheamus put on a fun hoss-off and didn't trade wins. Young and Titus did but it's pretty clearly setting up a character angle. The matches are telling stories week to week. And the sport package-style hype video for Orton/Lesnar was pretty slick.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

Basic Chunnel posted:

It was a good RAM, goons are goons. Y2KO is always great, Rollins cut a great promo, Cesaro and Sheamus put on a fun hoss-off and didn't trade wins. Young and Titus did but it's pretty clearly setting up a character angle. The matches are telling stories week to week. And the sport package-style hype video for Orton/Lesnar was pretty slick.

How was raw good. That was the blandest show I have seen wwe put on in a while.

SamuraiFoochs
Jan 16, 2007

Grimey Drawer

The_Rob posted:

How was raw good. That was the blandest show I have seen wwe put on in a while.

He literally, and I do mean literally, just explained his reasoning. I personally found it forgettable but not bad but his explanation is also reasonable.

The_Rob
Feb 1, 2007

Blah blah blah blah!!

SamuraiFoochs posted:

He literally, and I do mean literally, just explained his reasoning. I personally found it forgettable but not bad but his explanation is also reasonable.

Forgettable is exactly what bad is. I wish it was a terrible train wreck. Mediocre is the worst poo poo I can think of. Like just don't say it was a good show. Good doesn't mean bland and forgettable.

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Don't be a dick about words.

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

If Cesaro dropkicking Sheamus in the face from standing position isn't memorable then man we've been spoiled.

As a fan of basic storytelling this was lightyears ahead of the dross I watched in the run up to recent Summerslams past. I like that we got a singles match out of a tag feud instead of a dry run of the PPV match, I like that Rollins put over Balor in his promo (as well as the rest of the competitors in the inaugurall RAM tourney) and mocked him in a way that didn't bury him but instead set himself up for a heel comeuppance when The Demon catches him off-guard. Roman Reigns wasn't buried but we shoudn't have expected that honeymoon to last. A good RAM.

One thing that did annoy me was the flimsy reasoning for the C/S rematch. Have Sheamus demand it, otherwise the GM is invalidating a clean win just cause. If the brands were in competition then the GM could put them back on because good hoss-offs make for competitive advantage. But no, "physical dominance must be established", as though Cesaro hadn't deadlifted Sheamus and put him down for 3 in the middle of the ring.

Basic Chunnel fucked around with this message at 07:45 on Aug 9, 2016

RacistGuidingLight
Apr 5, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
Yeah, Cesaro's matches were pretty hot. And also Cesaro is in the Benoit/Bryan/Reigns position of dude who's good enough to have multiple matches a show. This is good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RagingHematoma
Apr 19, 2004

Goiters can be beautiful too!
When Sin Cara is your hyped mystery partner, it's time to pack it in.

• Locked thread