Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
:synpa:

also was reading the wok thread (what inspired me to buy one) and can someone give me a good breakdown of the difference between light and dark soy sauce? When i googled it I just got retarded poo poo including a huff post for first hit. The best I've got is its like red and white wine, dark works for red meats and light for chicken and fish?

I just have kikkoman right now, is it worth investing in specialty soy sauce?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
good job nooner

you can use safflower oil which has a higher smoke point than vegetable oil

http://www.seriouseats.com/2011/03/do-you-know-your-soy-sauces-japanese-chinese-indonesian-differences.html

here's some info on soy sauce

chinese brands like pearl bridge are easy to find and will state light or dark. dark will add a lot of coloring to food and has more of a caramel aspect than the light soy.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Nooner posted:

What is the best oil to use when youre cooking with a wok? I just used vegetable oil, but I am guessing someone here will know somethign better for when you are trying to cook on really high heat

Toasted sesame oil in small amounts, chili oil, something like canola or safflower or peanut other high smoke point oils

Also go to an asian market and pick up chinese light and dark soy and just taste them (I think pearl bridge was recommended here?), dark soy has a much more intense flavor but theyre both distinct from each other and also way better than kikkoman.

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
i just got off the phone with philip glass and he in passing mentioned the title of his next magnum opus would be 'nooner considers types of soya sauce'

so that's a pretty funny coincidence

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!
Nooner, I used to hate you so much I had you on ignore. Now I'm proud to see you making such progress -- seriously, just the latest photos as compared to the first few are night and day. Good on you, ya crazy flamingo.

Bloodfart McCoy
Jul 20, 2007

That's a high quality avatar right there.
Hey Nooner, peel your carrot to this pesto pizza I just made.

:gizz:

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Thanks for the info guys, went to the Ranch 99 by my house and bought like 6 different things of sauces, gonna have some fun the next few weeks!

Here is some pork belly with broccoli and bok choy I made last night. It was okay but it needed more sauce or something, just kinda plain. pork belly was nice though.

and tonight -- Teriyaki Salmon with spinach. This is def a winner, suuuuper good

mixed teriyaki, light soy, brown sugar, chili flakes, ginger, and hoisin to marinade the fish then reduced it down for the sauce on top/the spinach.

E:

Test Pattern posted:

Nooner, I used to hate you so much I had you on ignore. Now I'm proud to see you making such progress -- seriously, just the latest photos as compared to the first few are night and day. Good on you, ya crazy flamingo.

ty (:

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO
nooner

you're alright by me

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Made a stirfry recipe from the wok this way thread tonight. substituted carrot and sugar snap peas for the mushrooms cause my gf doesnt like mushrooms, but other than that stuck with recipe, super good, I think I'd like it a little spicier but heck just add some chili flakes or something next time.

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
Heckuva job, noonie

Shayu
Feb 9, 2014
Five dollars for five words.
I do not think the food is bad but I think the lighting of the photo makes it look a little unbearable, a little bad lightning makes the stomach unease.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
yeah the lighting is kinda dim but thats what I got in the dining room area. my whole apt is kinda lovely with light ):

Croatoan
Jun 24, 2005

I am inevitable.
ROBBLE GROBBLE
It looks like the lighting and plates at my gran's condo. Are you my new grandpa?

worfquoter
Sep 24, 2016

by FactsAreUseless
The young people will see what it is to die - as a Klingon.

Aaronicon
Oct 2, 2010

A BLOO BLOO ANYONE I DISAGREE WITH IS A "BAD PERSON" WHO DESERVES TO DIE PLEEEASE DONT FALL ALL OVER YOURSELF WHITEWASHING THEM A BLOO BLOO

worfquoter posted:

The young people will see what it is to die - as a Klingon.

nooner

make some traditional klingon blood pie, yo

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I got in trouble again so couldnt post for a week but I could still COOK!

Here is some blackened catfish I made with what I decided to call "Cajun mashed potatoes" but they were just mashed potatoes that I added a bunch of Louisiana hotsauce to.

Then I made some porkloin in a red wine reduction sauce with butternut squash, i baked the porkloin holy poo poo it was amazing, one of the best things I've ever cooked probably even if it just looks kinda meh in this picture, but the pork was perfectly juicy and delicious and squash perfect amount of softness. It was really really good.

Last night I stirfried up this badboi of chicken and asparagus, I used some dark soy sauce, garlic chili and fresh ground ginger. Was good as heck but I didnt make any noodles or riceto go with it which was a rookie mistake.

tonight I made a stirfry with squash, zucchini, onions and pork, made noodles this time too, was very good, made sauce from dark soy sauce, a little bit of light soy sauce, some siracha, brown sugar, and msg. Was gooooood

district 12
Oct 19, 2004

muscles griffon~~
it seems like you really like pork belly and maybe some day you can do samgyeopsal which is just grilled pork belly in little pieces and then you put some rice and some ssamjang and a piece of pork belly on a piece of lettuce and wrap it all up and man it's so good

alternatively just eat it with a little salt or just dip it directly into the ssamjang

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
That's some good-rear end-looking food, nooner.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
tonight I made Fish Tacos

I didnt really know what I wanted to make and the only decent fish at the market was the tilapia so i just bought that and some peppers and was originally just gonna cook em all up together but I felt like needed some kind of starch to go with and remembered I had tortillas.

They were excellent, very easy recipe, just julienned a small red and small yellow bell pepper and a couple of jalapenos and then stir fried them/the fish then recombined and added sauce which was just a little bit of light soy sauce and a whole lime's juice and some ginger.

I was going to add some cilantro inorder to give it that famous "latin" kick, but unfortunately the cilantro I had in the crisper was apparently older than I remembered it so I threw it out :sigh:

But yeah, I wasnt really feeling like making anything and given that was cooking with tilapia wasnt expecting much but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually really good!

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Tilapia is a literal garbage fish try some cod next time and do a beer batter or panko coated fry with some shredded cabbage, salsa or a spicy Sriracha/mayo/lime juice sauce

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Yah I know it's garbage fish that's why I was surprised it turned out so good but the pricing on everything else was retarded and I didn't feel like going to another market

But lol especially coming from me, but gtfo with you're siracha mayo sauce

OBAMNA PHONE
Aug 7, 2002
Just try it with a bit of like juice it's perfect for fish tacos

theres a will theres moe
Jan 10, 2007

Hair Elf
A little shredded cabbage, quick pickled onions, some citrus and the mayo option are indeed pro tier fish tacos, not to insult the pepperfish tacos pictured.

I think garbage fish is perfect for tacos.

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

theres a will theres moe posted:

A little shredded cabbage, quick pickled onions, some citrus and the mayo option are indeed pro tier fish tacos, not to insult the pepperfish tacos pictured.

I think garbage fish is perfect for tacos.

ya i admit I like traditional fish tacos a lot too, but this was just a kind of spur of the moment decision. def would use garbage fish for them again next time, and its so firm and non fish I might even be able to convince my girlfriend who hates pretty much all seafood to try it!

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

Nooner posted:

tonight I made Fish Tacos

I didnt really know what I wanted to make and the only decent fish at the market was the tilapia so i just bought that and some peppers and was originally just gonna cook em all up together but I felt like needed some kind of starch to go with and remembered I had tortillas.

They were excellent, very easy recipe, just julienned a small red and small yellow bell pepper and a couple of jalapenos and then stir fried them/the fish then recombined and added sauce which was just a little bit of light soy sauce and a whole lime's juice and some ginger.

I was going to add some cilantro inorder to give it that famous "latin" kick, but unfortunately the cilantro I had in the crisper was apparently older than I remembered it so I threw it out :sigh:

But yeah, I wasnt really feeling like making anything and given that was cooking with tilapia wasnt expecting much but was pleasantly surprised that it was actually really good!

These tacos look really basic.

I don't mean that in that they look easy to make, I just mean they look bad.

Consider using the wealth of knowledge on this forum to improve your taco making.

----------------
This thread brought to you by a tremendous dickhead!

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I made THIS tonight:

scrubs season six posted:

I think cream based pasta dishes are under utilized and people seem to be more impressed with them than a typical red sauce that everyone makes. Add in exotic and fancy cheeses and you've definitely got a dish that will impress the ladygoon that you've managed to trap in your basement lair.

4 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
8 ounces Gorgonzola
8 ounces Brie
2 or 3 cups cream
One or two bunches of fresh spinach or one or two packages of shredded frozen spinach, depending on how much you like spinach.
Some garlic
Maybe some chicken stock
Whatever the gently caress else you want to throw in there.

Sauté garlic then add flour to make a roux. Then heat up the cream. Then melt the cheese in it. Make sure you're stirring thoroughly and scraping the bottom or the cheese can end up all separating to the bottom and burning. Put in your spinach and stir it in and cook it.

Can leave it as is as a vegetarian dish (or add some coarse chopped portobellos or something). Can add shrimp and scallops and make it a seafood dish. Can add chicken and bacon and make it a chicken and bacon dish. Can add whatever you want, really.

Can leave out some cream and use chicken stock if you like things lighter. Can also add chicken stock to thin it out if it seems like it's too thick.

It's hella good but I think I already feel my arteries clogging. Only thing I would change next time is to double up on the spinach

The Doctor
Jul 8, 2007

:toot: :toot: :toot:
Fallen Rib
hey nooner you're great and I like what you're doin here but I wish you would post in the dinner thread so more people are posting in the dinner thread and it gets bumped and more people see it and feel compelled to post in it it's a good thread

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx

The Doctor posted:

hey nooner you're great and I like what you're doin here but I wish you would post in the dinner thread so more people are posting in the dinner thread and it gets bumped and more people see it and feel compelled to post in it it's a good thread

this is the thead for nooners, deal with it !

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
Tonight I made curry!

I was super worried it was going to be too watery of sauce when I added the can of coconut milk but it ended up being just right consistency. It was extremely good. Forums user Criscodisco sent me the recipe so big thank you to them! I especially liked it cause it had lime and cilantro IN THE RECIPE! I've never had curry with a "latin" kick before!!

also:

EVIL NOONER posted:

this is the thead for nooners, deal with it !

:twisted::hellyeah::twisted:

Father O'Blivion
Jul 2, 2004
Get up on your feet and do the Funky Alfonzo
Eat more canned seafood, yum

Edit: really tho, squid ftw

Father O'Blivion fucked around with this message at 05:45 on Oct 22, 2016

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:
I see soem limes, thats a good start but buddy, if you get youre self some cilantro .... youre in business dude :c00l:

EVIL NOONER
Oct 8, 2016

by exmarx
squid/ink and pasta yo

shits da BOOOOOMBBB

mindphlux
Jan 8, 2004

by R. Guyovich
nice slop, nooner

BedBuglet
Jan 13, 2016

Snippet of poetry or some shit
Made porkchops with grilled apple, sweet potato and fennel. Sauce was made from reducing apple cider and stone ground mustard.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nooner
Mar 26, 2011

AN A+ OPSTER (:

BedBuglet posted:

Made porkchops with grilled apple, sweet potato and fennel. Sauce was made from reducing apple cider and stone ground mustard.

that looks insanely good

• Locked thread