Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

***NOW ACCEPTING DONATIONS***

:siren:------->Insert donations in slot<-------:siren:

e: Oh, and we're doing Mississippi, for those that haven't been keeping up.

I was thinking the other day, this election is super fucky with states like GA and AZ and even SC maybe possibly going blue, and so a lot of attention is being paid to these states lately, but everyone still seems to write off Texas, and so little polling is being done here. Will we go blue? Probably not, but if we did a proper poll and it showed things even narrowing, it could influence news coverage and maybe cause the campaigns to pay a bit more attention and probably give us a few laughs at the very least since I'm sure we could come up with some humorous questions.

Which is why I was thinking maybe we would partner in such an endeavor with PPP. You all know PPP, they're pretty funny and trolly, and this is their rate structure.

quote:

Our standard rates for a poll with a 500 base sample size is as follows:

For a 1-5 question poll plus demographics: $2500

For a 6-10 question poll plus demographics: $3000

For a 11-15 question poll plus demographics: $3500

Which is actually more reasonable than I thought, but is maybe pricey? I really have no idea.

When I was running it by the mods, YouGov was suggested, which looks like this

quote:

YouGov Omnibus Rates
We interview a nationally representative sample of US adults (aged 18+) daily (excluding public holidays). There is no minimum requirement for number of questions asked.

24hr Service

1,000 Respondents

Respondents: 1,000 or 2,000 US adults aged 18+ nationally representative

Frequency: daily (Monday to Friday)

Results delivered: in 24 hours (Monday to Friday)

Costs:

Set-up Fee: covers initial consultation and programming $300
Single and Multiple Choice: Up to 10 answer options (multiple choice) or 10 answer options (single choice) $500 ($750 for 2,000)
Question Grids (per 3 statements): List questions - a series of similar questions, all answered using the same response categories (e.g. ‘very good <-> very poor’ or ‘0 to 10’) $500 ($750 for 2,000)
Open-ended $500 ($750 for 2,000)
Media
Image $100
Video (per 30 sec) $500 ($750 for 2,000)
Fees include standard deliverables:

Questionnaire design
Demographic information: gender, age, race, marital status, education, region, income and children under 18
Data tabulation by demographics banner or SPSS data file
Open ended comments within a csv file
PowerPoint overview
Additional deliverables:

Coding on open ended questions available for an additional charge
Additional special demographics available upon request
Inquire about political banner
Additional answer options available on request

Though the more I look at it, the more I'm not sure that's exactly the same thing. Or maybe it is and I just don't know anything about polling.

Either way, before I go about setting up a crowdfunding thing for this, we should probably all settle on what pollster we want to use, and how many questions we're planning to ask since I'm going to be setting it up as fixed funding to avoid potential issues. We don't reach our goal, everyone gets their money back. I don't know what happens if we go over. Let's just try to not do that. Maybe it can go to a charity or something. Whatever.

And if you feel like some other state would be better, feel free to suggest that and make your case for it, but I feel like Texas would be most maximally panic inducing for the GOP in the case of a less than stellar result and therefore most fun. Or if you think another pollster may be better, feel free to suggest that as well.

ReidRansom fucked around with this message at 22:26 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Teddybear
May 16, 2009

Look! A teddybear doll!
It's soooo cute!

A Texas poll would have the most potential impact on the broader election, and would therefore be the funniest.

A good question might be "Do you believe that President Obama was personally involved in killing the son of Democratic National Convention speaker Khizr Khan?"

EDIT: Wait poo poo PPP beat me to it, turns out half'll say it.

https://twitter.com/BowTiePolitics/status/763016501121130496?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July

Teddybear posted:

A Texas poll would have the most potential impact on the broader election, and would therefore be the funniest.

A good question might be "Do you believe that President Obama was personally involved in killing the son of Democratic National Convention speaker Khizr Khan?"

If Texas is the target, you should obviously ask for approval ratings of Abbott, Cruz and Cornyn.

Also "If Hillary Clinton is elected president, should Texas consider declaring its independence from the United States?" (Asking whether Texas "should consider" rather than whether it "should" should have a bigger fraction voting for and therefore have the biggest possible shock value)

Given the extra fees YouGov charges I would check PPP for those same hidden charges.

EDIT: As I suspected based on the option to include a video, YouGov Omnibus appears to be an online survey, so take that as you will. Can't speak for PPP though.

ComradeCosmobot fucked around with this message at 16:34 on Aug 9, 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

ComradeCosmobot posted:

If Texas is the target, you should obviously ask for approval ratings of Abbott, Cruz and Cornyn.

Also "If Hillary Clinton is elected president, should Texas consider declaring its independence from the United States?" (Asking whether Texas "should consider" rather than whether it "should" should have a bigger fraction voting for and therefore have the biggest possible shock value)

Yeah those are both pretty good ideas, though we could probably drop Cornyn if we're running tight on questions.

And I'm fairly certain PPP is phone polling. Also, they didn't mention any additional charges, but I can certainly ask if that's the way we're leaning.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I think we should go PPP as they'll allow silly questions like "if Hillary wins do you think Texas should secede?"

Count me in for at least :10bux:x2, maybe more if we need someone to do a match to encourage people.

As for questions, I say we do:

1. GE 2-way
2. GE 4-way
3. Abbot Approval
4. Zodiac Killer Approval
5. Should Texas secede if Hillary wins?

axeil fucked around with this message at 16:55 on Aug 9, 2016

ComradeCosmobot
Dec 4, 2004

USPOL July
I should add that I feel like asking about "declaring independence" rather than "seceding" might get more people voting for it because it doesn't sound like Civil War II.

1-800-DOCTORB
Nov 6, 2009
"Would you be more likely or less likely to vote for TedCruz in 2018 if it was revealed that he was the Zodiac Killer all along?"

Morroque
Mar 6, 2013
What type of nonsense question would you include in the poll in order to make the results as p-hackable as possible?

Can we correlate Abbot support with ownership of plastic lawn flamingos?

karlor
Apr 15, 2014

:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
:911::ussr::911::ussr:
:ussr::911::ussr::911:
College Slice
"How concerned are you that Hillary Clinton will use military exercises as cover for federal occupation of Texas and imposition of martial law?"

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

karlor posted:

"How concerned are you that Hillary Clinton will use military exercises as cover for federal occupation of Texas and imposition of martial law?"

I like that it reads as a given that she will.

Because I mean, please.

Sulphagnist
Oct 10, 2006

WARNING! INTRUDERS DETECTED

I'll chip in. I'd also slip in something about like "If [republican official] were to publicly endorse/denounce Trump, would this make you less or more likely to vote for them".

Also throw Harambe in there somewhere.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

... x quoting from cspam

We may not have to do anything after all... What timing.

Though we wouldn't get to pick the questions or get SA co-branding on it. Ultimately I just want to see what Texas is up to though. And maybe get a laugh out of it, which PPP is usually good for.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I hate to be Debbie Downer but before this gets very far into the planning stages I'd recommend contacting PPP or whoever you plan to use and make sure that they even take commissions for private election polling in the first place.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

The Rokstar posted:

I hate to be Debbie Downer but before this gets very far into the planning stages I'd recommend contacting PPP or whoever you plan to use and make sure that they even take commissions for private election polling in the first place.

I did that last week. Told em we just just a bunch of dudes on some website and they were OK with that.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

ReidRansom posted:

I did that last week.

Oh, okay then. Just making sure because it could have been an utter mess otherwise. :)

edit to add content: If they do Texas independently, my recommendation would be Indiana. Mainly for my own selfish reasons since I'm from there but also because there hasn't been much polling done at all there this cycle.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 21:29 on Aug 9, 2016

iospace
Jan 19, 2038

I'll support Indiana or Missouri if they go Texas on their own.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
Actually I changed my mind, do South Carolina. 538 is showing no polls for that state whatsoever since last year.

Indiana would still be okay but I feel like South Carolina definitely has the most shock value at the moment.

The Rokstar fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 9, 2016

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Yeah, I'm also still down for chipping in on a poll somewhere else if they do Texas on their own.

A Winner is Jew
Feb 14, 2008

by exmarx
All the questions except for the GE ones should be trolly as gently caress.

"How concerned are you that Greg Abbot is in favor of killing Illegal Immigrants instead of deportation?"

There are 12 undocumented people on death row in Texas so this is technically true

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

Could one of the questions be "Which do you remember more?" The options being "The Alamo" or "9/11".

Edit: changed to the better suggestion. Thanks Reid

Mr Hootington fucked around with this message at 21:47 on Aug 9, 2016

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

I'm torn between "Let's get data from an under-polled state that could be bucking trends this year" vs "Let's use respondents' blind partisanism to trick them into agreeing with ridiculous statements"

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
If PPP does Texas on its own I support polling either SC, IN or MO.

Do we have a period where we'll close out the questions we want and start actually getting donations? I think we'd want to move rather fast on this...

Qwazes
Sep 29, 2014
Fun Shoe
I'd kick in some money.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless

A Winner is Jew posted:

All the questions except for the GE ones should be trolly as gently caress.

"How concerned are you that Greg Abbot is in favor of killing Illegal Immigrants instead of deportation?"

There are 12 undocumented people on death row in Texas so this is technically true

I feel like we should be a lot more delicate about the wording of questions. Trolly is fine but I don't want to do a push poll.

Dr Cheeto
Mar 2, 2013
Wretched Harp
I kind of want to see how Richard Kyanka would stack up against third-party candidates but I already have the one where Harambe outpolled Jill Stein.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

Mr Hootington posted:

Could one of the questions be "Which do you remember more?" The options being "The Alamo", "9/11", ...

These two alone would be pretty hilarious

remember the alamo vs. never forget....

Mr Hootington
Jul 24, 2008

ReidRansom posted:

These two alone would be pretty hilarious

remember the alamo vs. never forget....

Yeah I was thinking Harambe was a bit much.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

axeil posted:

If PPP does Texas on its own I support polling either SC, IN or MO.

Do we have a period where we'll close out the questions we want and start actually getting donations? I think we'd want to move rather fast on this...

Moving faster is better, I think, yeah. But I'm just sort of operating on group consensus here. And if we're waiting on seeing what PPP does, that will potentially change our questions.

I suppose I could scape the thread and edit some question options into the OP, or maybe get a poll added to the thread with some options once we have enough participation

weekly font
Dec 1, 2004

Everytime I try to fly I fall
Without my wings
I feel so small
Guess I need you baby...

If you get them to poll Texas have them include Rob Morrow.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006

ReidRansom posted:

Moving faster is better, I think, yeah. But I'm just sort of operating on group consensus here. And if we're waiting on seeing what PPP does, that will potentially change our questions.

I suppose I could scape the thread and edit some question options into the OP, or maybe get a poll added to the thread with some options once we have enough participation

Yeah do this. If PPP announces they're polling Texas, open up a Google survey or something with choices of other states. Once that closes, aggregate a list of questions and let us vote on them. Then off we go to PPP!

C. Everett Koop
Aug 18, 2008
1: Are you gay?
If answered NO on 1: Why not?

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

I would kick in some money. I would say Indiana or South Carolina if Texas gets polled by PPP ahead of us.

Octatonic
Sep 7, 2010

C. Everett Koop posted:

1: Are you gay?
If answered NO on 1: Why not?

I would unironically be interested in seeing the results of that poll.

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I am completely down with putting some money towards making a legitimate polling entity call people and ask them our dumb questions. If not Texas, then definitely Indiana, because you could get some great Pence-related statistics out of it.

Though it's a shame that PPP won't ask about potential Texas independence. That would lead to some outstanding headlines on Salon and Vox.

Errant Gin Monks
Oct 2, 2009

"Yeah..."
- Marshawn Lynch
:hawksin:
As a Texan I just voted for them to poll Texas.

I will throw money at any state people choose but polling Texas again and asking pointed questions like Cruz, abbot, Patrick, guns, Clinton, wall etc would be hysterical.

axeil
Feb 14, 2006
I just really hope we get permission to use "Something Awful". Failing that we have to think of some clever thing to put in PPP/*title here*

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Nevermind

QuoProQuid fucked around with this message at 02:56 on Aug 10, 2016

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
love this

zonohedron
Aug 14, 2006

Morroque posted:

What type of nonsense question would you include in the poll in order to make the results as p-hackable as possible?

Can we correlate Abbot support with ownership of plastic lawn flamingos?

Given that at one point a higher cancer rate near Kelly AFB was blamed on tortilla consumption, maybe ask a food question?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Yoshifan823
Feb 19, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I don't know how jokey we want to get, but "who would win in a fight between Hillary Clinton and Donald Trump" is an aces question either way.

• Locked thread