Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

OMGVBFLOL posted:

from their website's faq:

lol gently caress the midwest

There are some people who eat there at least once a week, lol. When I lived in Iowa I went there like three times in three years, and I liked it every time, but I did not want it again for a very long time after.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TwoStepBoog
Apr 12, 2008

I've only been there once and didn't think it was anything special other than the fact that they had good beer selection.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
i don't really hear much about Iowa but that means it's already head and shoulders above the South which has hosed up poo poo coming out of it like smoke from a chimney

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer
Iowa is full of boring doughy but usually friendly Midewestern folk

Iowa: It's Fine and also Not Kansas or The South

not v exciting though

I live around Chicago and can get downtown in around 1.5 hours by car/public transit so I live very much in the rural Midwest but can drive into the suburbs for dinner at a nice place or go downtown

it's a little boring but I'm glad I don't live completely in the middle of nowhere; feels like I'm juuuust at the edge of it though

OXBALLS DOT COM
Sep 11, 2005

by FactsAreUseless
Young Orc

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

hold on, let me just get out my magnifying glass so i can look at your dumb gif

rezatahs
Jun 9, 2001

by Smythe

yeah exactly

it's a retard asylum

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

But that gif is Iowa City? Also please don't doxx me by posting it, tyvm

Ferdinand Bardamu
Apr 30, 2013

Monkey Fracas posted:

Iowa is full of boring doughy but usually friendly Midewestern folk

Iowa: It's Fine and also Not Kansas or The South

not v exciting though

I live around Chicago and can get downtown in around 1.5 hours by car/public transit so I live very much in the rural Midwest but can drive into the suburbs for dinner at a nice place or go downtown

it's a little boring but I'm glad I don't live completely in the middle of nowhere; feels like I'm juuuust at the edge of it though

you signed my post. every day, i want to die a little bit more.

Ivan Yurkinov
Jan 13, 2010
Hey the Iowa State Fair starts tomorrow. Best in the nation or so I've heard (not a native). Any other goons going? The Yurkinov Family will be there Saturday the 20th. I just want to eat a bunch of fried crap and see the obese livestock, as well as the pigs and cows. Badabing!

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Hey guys, Des Moines is pretty good. You should come visit me here and I'll buy you a local brew!

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

I know it was a tough game last night jastiger, but alcohol is not the answer.

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I know it was a tough game last night jastiger, but alcohol is not the answer.

Lol you and I both know that alcohol is the ONLY ANSWER when dealing with Iowa State football. Don't post that jibba jabba in here.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

August is the Cruelest Month
Jastiger, are there beer goggles for cities?

Could it be that you're so constantly drunk all the time des moines just LOOKS like a good place to live?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

Jastiger, are there beer goggles for cities?

Could it be that you're so constantly drunk all the time des moines just LOOKS like a good place to live?

It has pretty consistently been listed as one of the better places to raise a family or be a young professional. Its legit not a BAD place to live. Your gimmick of hating on Des Moines is getting old, H.H. :rolleyes:

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

This time was the first i had actually typed the word des moines, let alone discussed it at any length.

Raising familes aside, what about culture?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

This time was the first i had actually typed the word des moines, let alone discussed it at any length.

Raising familes aside, what about culture?

I'd say its the same as any other medium sized city. There is stuff to do here, plenty of places to eat and be entertained at night. Triple A Baseball and Hockey to watch and a good Civic Center schedule every year.

Its not huge like New York or LA so its not going to have the Big Concerts all the time, but you'll still get to see some of the major acts as they swing through the Midwest.

H.H
Oct 24, 2006

How's public transit?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

H.H posted:

How's public transit?

Good bus system. All that is needed for a city of this size. The busses are clean and are pretty punctual. The system goes to all parts of the city as well which is pretty nice.

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

this is definitely a thread that needed to be resurrected

gently caress you jastiger

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

:coolfish:

The best parts about Iowa:
-Decorah area is drat pretty
-There are some pretty cool spots in Des Moines, but nothing outstanding by any means.
-Not living there anymore

Pimpcasso
Mar 13, 2002

VOLS BITCH
Iowa owns in you want to buy meth

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

vols bitch posted:

Iowa owns in you want to buy meth

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Wow Iowa can't even do meth right. :rolleye:

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Ready access to anhydrous helps with that in rural iowa. Good thing its a thread about Des Moines and not the rural South.

etalian
Mar 20, 2006

the midwest is nothing but meth and misery.

but at least the rents are low!

Cactus Ghost
Dec 20, 2003

you can actually inflate your scrote pretty safely with sterile saline, syringes, needles, and aseptic technique. its a niche kink iirc

the saline just slowly gets absorbed into your blood but in the meantime you got a big round smooth distended nutsack

Jastiger posted:

Good thing its a thread about Des Moines and not the rural South.

the south has at leadt a few redeeming qualities, like a rich musical and culinary heritage, and New Orleans. iowa is the nation's rear end in a top hat and is full of idiots

Alvie
May 22, 2008

Iowa-ouldn't live there if you paid me!

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

iowa/iowa state is the worst rivalry in college football and i'm including the Rocky Mountain Cripple Fight (aka colorado/colorado state)

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

Y-Hat posted:

iowa/iowa state is the worst rivalry in college football and i'm including the Rocky Mountain Cripple Fight (aka colorado/colorado state)

At least the people in Iowa care about that rivalry, the people here don't give two shits about anything but the broncos.

edit: understand that I'm just hateful because I like baseball and college sports, and all anyone here ever talks about is the broncos.

Nolan Arenado fucked around with this message at 03:22 on Sep 5, 2016

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

OctoberBlues posted:

At least the people in Iowa care about that rivalry, the people here don't give two shits about anything but the broncos.

edit: understand that I'm just hateful because I like baseball and college sports, and all anyone here ever talks about is the broncos.
the broncos are the only good sports team in colorado, even though the rockies still draw a crowd despite being awful throughout most of their existence. it says more that iowans care about a rivalry once called "El Assico"

BaconCopter
Feb 13, 2008

The Iowa/Iowa State "rivalry" (People from Iowa getting really, really into it, Iowa State closer to Go Team! Yay Sports) is the only thing those poor souls left adrift in the corn have to live for. Well besides wrestling.

Burt Sexual
Jan 26, 2006

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Switchblade Switcharoo
I,read Isu lost to northern Iowa. That's like a region or something.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

Jastiger posted:

Hey guys, Des Moines is pretty good. You should come visit me here and I'll buy you a local brew!

Can you deposit a flaming bag of poop to my ex?

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Addy?

Nolan Arenado
May 8, 2009

BaconCopter posted:

The Iowa/Iowa State "rivalry" (People from Iowa getting really, really into it, Iowa State closer to Go Team! Yay Sports) is the only thing those poor souls left adrift in the corn have to live for. Well besides wrestling.

I can assure you that people from Iowa State are just as into that game as people from Iowa, I'm sure Jastiger can speak to that. It's a really big deal across the state, almost every work place allows people to dress in ISU/Iowa colors during that week and there's all kinds of poo poo talking. It's one of the few things I miss about living in Iowa!

fat bossy gerbil
Jul 1, 2007

University of Iowa is a cesspool of drunken rapists, the city has to spray vomit off the streets around campus on weekend mornings it's astonishing.

VendaGoat
Nov 1, 2005
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm, Meth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jastiger
Oct 11, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

OctoberBlues posted:

I can assure you that people from Iowa State are just as into that game as people from Iowa, I'm sure Jastiger can speak to that. It's a really big deal across the state, almost every work place allows people to dress in ISU/Iowa colors during that week and there's all kinds of poo poo talking. It's one of the few things I miss about living in Iowa!

Yeah its a big deal here and usually a lot of fun.

Why does everyone keep conflating meth with Des Moines?

• Locked thread