Search Amazon.com:
Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us $3,400 per month for bandwidth bills alone, and since we don't believe in shoving popup ads to our registered users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
«11 »
PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

Protect our Friends!

Anti-Poaching Task Force
Japari Park Service

Leak tests actually aren't too bad as far as I remember. Generally if you didn't do it right, you know quickly

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Paper towels everywhere.

My first ever loop I leaked right onto my motherboard. Fun times.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

PerrineClostermann posted:

Leak tests actually aren't too bad as far as I remember. Generally if you didn't do it right, you know quickly

(from earlier in this thread.)

There's one tube that's got me a little worried, but it's holding fine. Another one has a connector stuck behind the radiator, so I hope that one doesn't need to be fixed any time soon.

Shrimp or Shrimps posted:

Paper towels everywhere.

My first ever loop I leaked right onto my motherboard. Fun times.

Yup, currently have a nice layer of towels down!

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Solumin posted:

Graphics card update: Ended up getting it professionally repaired. Hopefully it'll have a good few years of life. It was expensive enough to make me feel bad, but still cheaper than trying to get a whole new card.

Currently doing my first leak test! I'm waiting for the other shoe to drop, like a tube coming loose and spraying water everywhere or something. It can't be going this smoothly.

My first leak test resulted in a fountain. A rigid tube that was just a haaaair to short. It went into the slot and looked fine from the outside, but had a tiny seam.

PerrineClostermann
Dec 15, 2012

Protect our Friends!

Anti-Poaching Task Force
Japari Park Service

Solumin posted:

(from earlier in this thread.)

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

And this is a youtube professional computer guy!

Given that the RAM is lighting up as he powers the pump... does that mean he's got his loving motherboard plugged in while filling!?

Shrimp or Shrimps
Feb 14, 2012

Deuce posted:

And this is a youtube professional computer guy!

Given that the RAM is lighting up as he powers the pump... does that mean he's got his loving motherboard plugged in while filling!?

lol he must have it plugged in. I can't really tell but it looks like just beneath the ram he's got the 20 pin in.

Poor bastard. Forgetting to screw in the cap on the back of a GPU block is already pretty indefensible since it's like the most obvious thing you absolutely need to do, but then filling / leak testing with his mobo plugged in and no freaking paper towels anywhere is even worse.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Deuce posted:

My first leak test resulted in a fountain. A rigid tube that was just a haaaair to short. It went into the slot and looked fine from the outside, but had a tiny seam.

Rigid tubing seems like more fun. You could do all sorts of bends and things... But soft tubing seems easier to install correctly.

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Survived the overnight leak test looks like we're golden.

Deuce
Jun 18, 2004
Mile High Club

Solumin posted:

Rigid tubing seems like more fun. You could do all sorts of bends and things... But soft tubing seems easier to install correctly.

Way easier. Rigid tubing takes a lot of practice to get the bends right. You'll waste a lot of tubes the first time. Fortunately PETG tubing is pretty cheap.

Soft tubing you just need to figure out the bend radius to avoid kinking, and be smart enough to measure lengths of things.

Rigid tubing I am only really capable of simple runs. If it requires two bends on one tube, it's a huge pain in the rear end. Three is out of the question. I've seen some people do crazy snake-spirally things that are gorgeous, but I am a clumsy goon.

Indiana_Krom
Jun 18, 2007
Net Slacker

You don't even have to measure soft tubing, just start routing the whole coil through the case from one fitting to the next then pinch and cut it as you go. Soft tubing is so easy to work with it is basically cheating, with the only real downside being it won't look as good as a well done hard tubing rig (which is the whole point of hard tubing).

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

My experience is limited but soft tubing is hard to work with for really short runs. I have a couple 1 inch long tubes in mine and they were a pain.

Long runs are really easy though!

Scarecow
May 20, 2008

"...OK"

Lipstick Apathy

Soft tubing does how ever run the risk of breaking down if the water gets too hot and then the plastix particles block up your gpy and cpu grids

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

What do y'all like to use for tracking CPU and GPU temps?

Less Fat Luke
May 23, 2003

Just the tip!

College Slice

https://www.hwinfo.com/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Solumin
Jan 11, 2013

Thanks!

Played Borderlands 2 for a bit. Kept to a pretty solid 60 FPS and temp was ~34C.

My old card (970) would have given me a shaky 45 FPS with ~60C. This is nice.

«11 »