Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

That's just the way he rolls.

Warmachine posted:

Why not extend the GPU > Res connection a bit and save yourself a fitting? Something in the way?

I did considered it but the tubing being in front of the res didn't kinda look right.

[edit] I like how the pumps have a really nice black braided pwm wire but exposed power wires. Gonna have to fix that with a cable cover.

Don't know if it's a trick of the camera angle or if I need to increase the tube coming out of the flow sensor. :/

Ak Gara fucked around with this message at 23:54 on Feb 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CyberPingu
Sep 15, 2013

Has anyone here built a custom loop for an NR200p or a similar ITX case?

Looking for recommendations

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

All the pipes done. Currently doing an air pressure test. I ran out of M-M fittings so am having to use a weird janky telescopic GPU fitting I had laying around to connect the pressure gauge. I'm not confident in it's ability to hold air.
How much pressure drop per hour is normal?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I came here to laugh at you

Well, Amazon originally predicted somewhere between Feb 23 and Mar 2 for my 20.5mm radiator to replace the 28mm radiator that won't fit. Uh...

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

"This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless, by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

Ak Gara posted:

All the pipes done. Currently doing an air pressure test. I ran out of M-M fittings so am having to use a weird janky telescopic GPU fitting I had laying around to connect the pressure gauge. I'm not confident in it's ability to hold air.
How much pressure drop per hour is normal?

If it can hold 0.5 bar for half an hour it's probably water tight.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

It lost 0.04 bar in an hour. Might have to use the washing up liquid to find which fitting(s) need seeing to

Dr. Despair
Nov 4, 2009

39 perfect posts with each roll.

Also don't forget that a tiny bit of pressure drop is normal because of small temperature changes and bits flexing under pressure. Hard to say if 0.04 bar is fine since I don't know your starting pressure, but if it's less than a 10% drop you're probably in a good place.

That gauge also looks like an NPT fitting with no teflon tape would be the first fitting I would look for, but there's probably just tape further down the threads out of sight.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

It's a Dr Drop. I was testing at 0.5 bar so I guess that's less than 10% drop. What I'm going to do is actually just cap off the Dr Drop and test that alone.

Truga
May 4, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

i don't have rigid piping, but for my lovely loop it's normal that i have to refill the tank a little bit (it's a tiny tank) after a week, and then after a month of operation, as all the air bubbles filter out.

after that it ran for 4 years with no maintenance outside of removing and dusting the air filters twice a year

seriously considering going back to air right now tho. seeing the benches of newest cpus and gpus on water is super whatever. otoh i have a radeon so i could install a spicy bios...

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Truga posted:

i don't have rigid piping, but for my lovely loop it's normal that i have to refill the tank a little bit (it's a tiny tank) after a week, and then after a month of operation, as all the air bubbles filter out.

after that it ran for 4 years with no maintenance outside of removing and dusting the air filters twice a year

seriously considering going back to air right now tho. seeing the benches of newest cpus and gpus on water is super whatever. otoh i have a radeon so i could install a spicy bios...

For me it is a noise thing and a challenge thing.

Spicy bios might be fun though.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Warmachine posted:

For me it is a noise thing and a challenge thing.

Spicy bios might be fun though.

If your radiator is big enough you can run the cooling without fans altogether!

Coredump
Dec 1, 2002
All I'm saying is that should be enough to arouse some suspicion is all.

I once had an almost silent build. But since then Iíve changed my mind from chasing silence to trying to change the nature of the sound to something I donít mind. I like a regular fan in the background as some pleasant white noise. Just not coil whine or the sound of smaller fans.

Basically box fan with a car radiator is what Iím advocating for I guess.

Truga
May 4, 2014

Lipstick Apathy

yeah my build is completely silent when idle and barely audible when loaded, i have 2x480mm of rad, so fans never really go past ~800 rpm.

thing is, i built this when my pc was in my bedroom so i wanted the pc to be silent so it could do poo poo while i sleep, but now it's in another room. the loudest possible thing in the pc is this reference radeon (i'm waiting a month to see if everything's cool before i buy a waterblock), and it's not loud enough even under max load to get through my headphones

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coredump posted:

I once had an almost silent build. But since then Iíve changed my mind from chasing silence to trying to change the nature of the sound to something I donít mind. I like a regular fan in the background as some pleasant white noise. Just not coil whine or the sound of smaller fans.

Basically box fan with a car radiator is what Iím advocating for I guess.

Add plumbing to your office with G1/4" threads and put a heat exchanger somewhere else.

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

THE DARK SIDE OF SCIENCE BREEDS A WEAPON OF WAR

Buglord

I'm busy collecting all my cooling parts and now it's time for fans. What should I be looking at for quiet at 140mm and 180mm -- is it still Noctua? I'll be running them on the slow side.

edit: gently caress it, I went with noctuas

B-1.1.7 Bomber fucked around with this message at 05:04 on Feb 19, 2021

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

It's still noctua unless you can't stand the color scheme or want LED.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

ilkhan posted:

It's still noctua unless you can't stand the color scheme or want LED.

Yo I'ma blow your mind.

They make black now. (plus Phanteks Halo Digital make any fan DRGB)

I've tried to ignore that drat red wire, but I can't so went and brought some mesh cable wrap stuff.

I also got a mains > molex for when I'm filling the loop.

dry location sue only
no-sfrviceable parts inside
for use withaudio video equifment
zone dangereuse
made in china

I'm sure it'll be fine!

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Warmachine posted:

Add plumbing to your office with G1/4" threads and put a heat exchanger somewhere else.
A friend of mine did that. He scavenged a car radiator and mounted it in a box outside his house, then piped it inside and added some quick couplings so he could hook his computer loop up to it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

I've tried to ignore that drat red wire, but I can't so went and brought some mesh cable wrap stuff.

This is why I bought heat shrink, paracord, and a set of pin removal tools when I ordered my last fittings and tubing. It doesn't look professional, but it also isn't a black, yellow, blue, and green wire running out of the back of my case. Funny enough, the pin removal tools are from the same company that makes your bootleg power brick.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

"This is only the beginning of the reckoning. This is only the first sip, the first foretaste of a bitter cup which will be proffered to us year by year unless, by a supreme recovery of moral health and martial vigour, we arise again and take our stand for freedom as in the olden time."

Ak Gara posted:

dry location sue only
zone dangereuse
made in china

I'm sure it'll be fine!

Iirc Phobya were a fairly big brand back when watercooling was way more niche than it is today.

quote:

Phobya is your Avatar with maximum skills:

Let the fire battle inflame you, play with your passion and have no fear to get burned. With Phobya cooling systems and modding products you can experience you passion at the max and achieve your goals. Phobya gives you the possibility to satisfy your need for victory, to create a PC that can live up to your needs abd guve you the best performance possible. No matter if the goal is maximum overclocking or sheer power, low temperature or a silent PC or living out your modding skills, Phobya will give you the tools!

gently caress yeah.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

dry location sue only
zone dangereuse
made in china

I'm sure it'll be fine!

Oh, yeah. I also wanted to add that my wrist brace I bought off Amazon had the same level of dodgy labeling on the package. I'd post a pic but I didn't save the packaging.

Theophany posted:

Iirc Phobya were a fairly big brand back when watercooling was way more niche than it is today.

gently caress yeah.

Look, I know I'm the wet blanket () in this thread, but I really hate the GAMER aesthetic in this hobby. Solid fluids make me wince, and while I can't deny that those hard lines look super clean, the idea of lighting the whole thing up in some kinda RGB disco rave makes my 31 year old white collar rear end cringe.

Then you have MSI's stupid dragon, ASUS RePuBlIc Of GaMeRs, and whatever that is... it just takes me back to my young adult edgelord days in a real bad way.

I replaced all my EK compression fittings with Alphacool because 1) they look more professionally aesthetic and 2) the knurling on the compression ring is easier to grab when you can only get two fingers in at a weird angle to tighten it.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

IF I JUST LICK ENOUGH BOOT LEATHER, BIG DADDY TRUMP WILL SURELY LOVE ME

Ak Gara posted:

Yo I'ma blow your mind.

They make black now.
I know. But I try to block that craziness out of my mind as much as possible.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

I know. But I try to block that craziness out of my mind as much as possible.

Brown means it's better. Chromax is a pretender to the throne.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright, here's one: I want to get an Aquacomputer Quadro. There's limited stock on Aquacomputer's site, but it costs more than the cost of the controller to ship it to the United States.

Does anyone know a distributer in the U.S. that has them in stock, or know a way to get it across the ocean without paying twice the cost of the controller in shipping fees?

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Ak Gara posted:

Yo I'ma blow your mind.

They make black now.

hey, you may be into the shrieking of those black, 13.2 dB jet engines (omfg), but I'll take the 11.9 dB uggos.

j/k thanks for getting me to take a second look. I missed the real quiet ones in the black lines when scanning noctua earlier. cheers.

Ak Gara
Jul 29, 2005

Not the Redux, not the Industrial PPC, but the Chromax Black. They have the same specs as the brown ones

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

B-1.1.7 Bomber
Feb 19, 2005

Buglord

Eh, the brown one already arrived. I appreciate you pointing out the others, though. Good to know.

Warmachine posted:

Alright, here's one: I want to get an Aquacomputer Quadro.Does anyone know a distributer in the U.S. that has them in stock, or know a way to get it across the ocean without paying twice the cost of the controller in shipping fees?

Since I've been spending a bunch of time shopping for parts on my own, I spent some time looking for this. I didn't find it anywhere besides those places with outrageous shipping to the US.

B-1.1.7 Bomber fucked around with this message at 21:05 on Feb 20, 2021