Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

The pendulum of the mind alternates between sense and nonsense
> octo

I think it's interesting it comes with a general use sensor. It's to monitor case temperature?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

movax
Aug 30, 2008

Nolgthorn posted:

> octo

I think it's interesting it comes with a general use sensor. It's to monitor case temperature?

Whatever you’d like; I have it taped near my rear 2.5” slots to keep an eye on U.2 drive temps. I guess in bigger cases you could get some zonal temp data

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

> octo

Yep. I've messed around with putting it near intakes to use with the software to calculated a dT/ambient reading, but ultimately decided to just use the loop sensor for absolute fluid temp.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Pretty nervous about these runs. I've never bent hard tubing before, they both run parallel out of the cpu, I feel like I won't have much problem measuring and getting those 90's done, they run parallel (one in front of the other) until they need to 45 off to their respective sockets on the radiator and the pump. Not sure how I'm going to measure it to get those 45's in the right place.

They also have to sort of bend outward at that point a little bit to hit their mark feel like I should have bought a ton of extra pipe.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I really hope this doesn't cause a problem. I noticed the threads are longer on the phobya temp sensor than the rest of my fittings. It doesn't look like it seats properly with ekwb.

If it is a problem why would they sell something like this?

E: yea it comes loose easily what the heck

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 12:35 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

My case offers two mounting positions for the radiator the right one there's a thing there that holds the side on. But there's not enough room on the left one either because of the components on the motherboard.

This is a nightmare. I feel like I'm in hell, who water-cools their system?

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 12:38 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Basically I think I need to front mount the radiator, which means I need to take apart the bottom of my case. Which means I don't have the right bracket for the pump.

So I have to order another temp sensor and a bracket. I don't know if I can find a store near me that sells both those things and can get them to me in a reasonable time.

It doesn't seem like any amount of planning is enough.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

misery.txt

Yep. Building a custom loop is "do it for the hobby" because it's a right pain in the rear end.

What, precisely, is preventing the radiator from top-mounting? Is it the EPS cable? A heat sink? Will it fit with a tighter bend in the EPS cables? Shorter motherboard standoffs?

Try putting the temperature sensor elsewhere in the loop. It might fit better on one of the pump inlets? It doesn't really matter where it goes since the liquid temperature will normalize on any sane pump setting.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Ahh, the reason I'm miserable is because I went into it with the wrong attitude. I'll try.

Somewhat mitigated, I really want this rad on the top, I managed to just barely get it in routing the cables tightly around the heatsink on the motherboard. Won't be a problem? 😬

The issue with the position of the temp sensor it's an extender. Otherwise that 45 doesn't make it over the fan. I guess I could abandon the 45, for a more complicated bend, or put two 90s in that I'm not using.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 15:40 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Test fitting the pump shows I have to replan my loop. I'm not going to make the top inlet work, and I may need to turn my radiator around.

Also take apart my water block to swap the inlet (to right) and outlet (left).

Those cables mashed behind the radiator, maybe I could route them down.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Jul 25, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If you think it's bad now, wait until you start cutting and bending tubes. At least, from that way you phrase things it sure sounds like you're using hard tubes?

I'll do lots of disgusting poo poo, but you won't catch me within a mile of a hard tubing project. No thanks. Don't need that kind of stress in my life.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I figured, no pain no gain

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm putting the temperature sensor on the pump outlet, unless anyone tells me not to.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm putting the temperature sensor on the pump outlet, unless anyone tells me not to.

It doesn't matter where you put the sensor because the coolant essentially reaches temperature equilibrium throughout. Yes it's unintuitive.

movax
Aug 30, 2008

How thick is that rad? Looks like a Meshify / Define top -- I have a Meshify 2 C and used thin (Black Ice GTS) rads on top and front -- the top 240 w/ fans barely clears all the componently on a TRX40 mobo (so it is busy up there) + my EPS cables have to make a pretty tight 180 to mate up there, but it is doable.

VelociBacon posted:

It doesn't matter where you put the sensor because the coolant essentially reaches temperature equilibrium throughout. Yes it's unintuitive.

Yeah, it's not voltage (always trips me up too because this would be insane to me to do on a PCB / electrical system) -- thermal is so slow / it's basically 'equipotential' in the size of a loop in a computer. I suppose having multiples and reading a massive temp delta to tell you have a blockage / open hose somewhere could work, but there would also be many other uh, obvious signs of catastrophe.

With most CPUs nowadays protecting themselves against thermal overheat, watching pump failure like a hawk isn't _as_ important right now since changes are your CPU will toggle a system shutdown if it gets too hot and then you're good.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I know right, the rad is massive. It's the middle thick 360 from ek, the case is meshify 2. I'm starting to see why water-cooling is put in xl cases. Can't imagine wanting to put this into a compact.

I just took apart my ek quantum magnitude block to reverse outlets, that was harrowing. I hope to God it still works.

Nolgthorn fucked around with this message at 19:39 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Everything taken apart and back together I have a plan. Simpler is better.

Been posting on my phone all day, I want my workstation back. Next step bending pipes. Then it's loop testing, then all the finishing touches.

Hopefully, let's say three days. But I'm done for today.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC
The first day of water-cooling is always thinking holy poo poo what have I done followed by a stiff drink and I'll sort this mess out tomorrow. Welcome to the club :cheers:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I know right, the rad is massive. It's the middle thick 360 from ek, the case is meshify 2. I'm starting to see why water-cooling is put in xl cases. Can't imagine wanting to put this into a compact.

I just took apart my ek quantum magnitude strx40 block to reverse outlets, that was harrowing. I hope to God it still works.

Yeah I have the meshify 2 XL (look at my posts in the thread to see it) and 2x CoolStream CE 420 from EKWB, they're thicc boys and I was happy to have the large case.

Can't tell from the photo but are you going to be unable to unplug your motherboard PSU cable with the rigid tubing there?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 25, 2022

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

There should be enough room, doing 90 degree bends out of the cpu at the distance that goes into the radiator. There's a good inch or so.

If not, it's only an extension cable I can leave it plugged in and detach it at the back of the computer where it plugs into the real power cable.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Wish me luck

Pray for me.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Wish me luck

Pray for me.

Hell yeah man get it buddy

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Holy balls this is heckn' possible!

I don't know if I got lucky it doesn't look too too bad because I reheated it a lot of times.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Nolgthorn posted:

My case offers two mounting positions for the radiator the right one there's a thing there that holds the side on. But there's not enough room on the left one either because of the components on the motherboard.

This is a nightmare. I feel like I'm in hell, who water-cools their system?

Got the same situation in my BeQuiet Silentbase 602, my 280mm top radi was crashing with the ram sticks, so i installed the MoBo upside down. Idk if this is common feature with towers or not.

Also you should cut out a few of the struts blocking your airflow. The many screws from the radi should be enough to keep the whole top intact.

Theophany
Jul 22, 2014

SUCCHIAMI IL MIO CAZZO DA DIETRO, RANA RAGAZZO

2022 FIA Formula 1 WDC

Nolgthorn posted:

Holy balls this is heckn' possible!

I don't know if I got lucky it doesn't look too too bad because I reheated it a lot of times.

Good on you mate, it really is work for the patient!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

AutismVaccine posted:

Also you should cut out a few of the struts blocking your airflow. The many screws from the radi should be enough to keep the whole top intact.

Hesitant to do this, it looks like there's enough space between the radiator and the struts that it won't impede airflow by very much. What do you think?

I mean there's also a whole mesh over top of this too.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's absolutely not going to effect cooling performance.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

VelociBacon posted:

That's absolutely not going to effect cooling performance.

Yeah, i guess it is overkill if you dont already do other cuts/mods on the rest of the tower. If you use reasonable fan RPM it shouldnt matter; in my project i drive them at minimum, reliable starting RPM and dont use a fine mesh on top, so it has more impact.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 27, 2022

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nolgthorn posted:

Hesitant to do this, it looks like there's enough space between the radiator and the struts that it won't impede airflow by very much. What do you think?

I mean there's also a whole mesh over top of this too.

The marginal gains from this are not worth the effort. This is tenth of a percent kind of hobbyist optimizing.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Got it almost.

This bastard here is too short by 1cm. Disappointing I thought I had it. My first failed tube. I measured, doubted myself, measured again, second measurement came out 1cm shorter.

Nobody ever told me I should measure three times. Also when I cut it too short I mangled the cut, it's all wonky. Like my brain knew I was doing something wrong.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
So where do I get pipe like that? Sorry to storm in, but I loosely follow the thread after water cooling decades ago and want to know what pipe can be heated up and bent like that. It’s very cool, great job man!

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

namlosh posted:

So where do I get pipe like that? Sorry to storm in, but I loosely follow the thread after water cooling decades ago and want to know what pipe can be heated up and bent like that. It’s very cool, great job man!

PETG I think is the material, a type of acrylic if I'm not mistaken. You'd want to get it from a PC water cooling supply place so it's exactly the right dimensions for the fittings probably.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Mine's from the ek webshop, it's 14mm hdc acrylic, rather than petg. But everywhere just about sells it in one form or another.

General notes about acrylic, it's very fun to bend. Some people have said it takes longer to heat up, but I haven't really had a problem with that since the material is less likely to bubble if you give it too much heat. It also very rapidly cools back down to a point where it maintains it's shape.

What I think is harder about acrylic as a material is you can't use a snazzy pipe cutter, you have to use a saw. It's a tiny bit clearer than some alternatives which helped lead to my selection. Ultimately I'm happy with the choice.

I've found the bending guide tool from ek indispensable as well. There's zero YouTube videos about it, but it makes my 90 and 45 bends uniform, without thinking too much.

namlosh
Feb 11, 2014

I name this haircut "The Sad Rhino".
Awesome, thx!

couldcareless
Feb 8, 2009

Spheal used Swagger!
Pretty sure acrylic will scratch really easily too so be careful!

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

I'm uh I'm indecisive.

After a couple of hours with this tube, I've come up with this result. It seems to fit. I'm going to step back and look at it again tomorrow.

It's got a much less symmetrical look than I intended when I started. The tubes run parallel up from the pump, and then do their own thing.

I think part of the issue is this is really hard.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm uh I'm indecisive.

After a couple of hours with this tube, I've come up with this result. It seems to fit. I'm going to step back and look at it again tomorrow.

It's got a much less symmetrical look than I intended when I started. The tubes run parallel up from the pump, and then do their own thing.

I think part of the issue is this is really hard.

That looks fantastic, I'd be more than happy with it. That doesn't look like someone's first time in any way.

Nolgthorn
Jan 30, 2001

Thanks man.

I am leak testing right now with distilled water. The pump behaved in a way I wasn't expecting, delayed response to me turning on or off the power. So I think it ran dry for a few seconds after rapidly displacing everything in my reservoir.

I hope I didn't cause damage.

It's on full blast, I think I'm supposed to leave it like this for 24 hrs. Then I'll drain it, put in the actual coolant.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Running dry for a few seconds won't harm anything.

And the piping looks great. I haven't bothered with hard tubing because I know I'd gently caress it up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sorbus
Apr 1, 2010
I usually leak test with air for 15 minutes and then fill / leak test with liquid for about an hour. You will notice if something leaks or not pretty soon, no need to test for 24 hours.