Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hi everyone, after many years of custom builds with AIOs, I'm finally jumping into a custom loop because I got an EVGA notify queue pop for one of the 3090s with the hydro copper block preinstalled. Yesterday I transferred my build into a Meshify 2 XL so I'd have more room for the loop and rads.

I'll also be cooling the 9900k in the system. With the case I have, I understand that I can run a thick 420 rad on the top or front but not both at the same time. You can however run a 360 rad on the front and a 420 on the top, which is what I think I'll go for. There's the ability to mount a 280 on the bottom in the PSU shroud but it's really pretty crowded down there and I don't think it's a great option. There's also the 120/140 rear exhaust fan area, obviously a 140 rad isn't going to be life changing but I'm wondering if it's worth just doing anyways since I'll be using soft tubing and it doesn't seem very hard or expensive to add.

Here's a photo of the case now.

Just a stock photo of the case.

So I'm appealing to the thread's expertise. I've always watched some content around water cooling and had a couple friends do it but really a long time ago. Is EKWB still the go-to? I'm in Canada and their local distributors are out of stock on everything and probably won't restock for months. I'm paying 15-20% duty charge on anything imported to Canada from the states.

A summary of my questions

The things I'm cooling:

9900k (overclocked)
3090 XC3 Ultra Hydro Copper (overclocked)

• Is EKWB still the obvious choice?
  • What difference does reservoir size make? The larger reservoir from ekwb is out of stock on their site.
  • My understanding is it doesn't matter what order you put things in your loops since it all gets to the same temp anyways. Is this correct?
  • If cost isn't an issue does it make sense to use a 140mm rad on that rear exhaust or is there no point with already having a 420 and 360?
  • I assume I'm okay with a single pump/loop given the two large rads?
  • Is it going to be a heat problem if my only case intake is pulling in through a radiator?
  • How are the EK Vardar fans compared to Noctua?

Any input is welcome.

e: I'm thinking I should buy this kit from ekwb which comes with everything needed for a CPU loop and the 360 rad for the front of the case, and add the EK-CoolStream CE 420 rad for the top + the required fittings. Good idea?

That kit comes with enough concentrate to make 1L of coolant. Should that be enough?

e: Playing with mocking up components. Does this make sense?

e2: if anyone wants to draw me a loop feel free:

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 01:37 on Jan 9, 2022

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

EK is ok, but their QC is a bit spotty and you pay for the name.

I'm not a fan at all of EK Vardars. I would go for a 480mm+360mm, 120mm fans are preferred here because you can go for Phanteks T30-120 which absolute stomp every other fan even up to the A12x25. I would go for a rear fan as another intake, so 360 front, 480 top (or reverse if that fits better), then a rear intake for fresh air.

Don't buy EK rads unless you can fit the XE. The XE is competitive but the others are terrible, especially the SE thin rad. HWLabs make the best radiators by far, you can go for their GTS series for best all-rounders. They also make the L series which are OEM only but have the exact width of the fans on them, these are useful for cases with limited space for rads. Bits power and Corsair both rebrand slim L series HWLabs rads so you could get those if they're more available.

You might need more than 1L, I have 1.2L in my loop that is 360+280+120, but I have a huge monoblock that holds a lot.

Thanks. I should have mentioned that I'm based in Canada so it's hard to find a lot of this stuff. HWLabs is on our amazon.ca but nothing in 420 seems to be on there.

I filled a cart on EKWB tonight and then was hit with 80 bucks shipping on top of the 20% duty I'd have to pay, which kinda made me hesitate. I wasn't expecting to have to pay what now comes to 800CAD to set up watercooling. Kinda don't know what to do now, my cart is still full so maybe I'll sleep on it. The Canadian distributor is canadacomputers which is one of the least useful businesses in this space.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

I really would look at 480 instead of 420, it's more total raddage and 140mm fans kinda suck right now (no 140x25 or T30-140)

I like performancePCs, shipping is expensive but fixed rate and they've got a full range of HWLabs.

Make sure to post your list before you order just to double check everything.

Thanks, I can't fit 2x 480s in my case and I don't mind the 140mm noctua offerings already in my PC. It's really overkill anyways since I only have a 9900k and single 3090 in the loop. I could probably get away with one 360. I looked around at that page but couldn't find what I was looking for.

Here's the list but I just put the order through (I double checked it with a couple people already):

List:

I'll flush the rads out aggressively :v:

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

Want to throw in I have a 9900K (stock except unlimited turbo power) and a EVGA 3080 Ti FTW3 (also stock) on a custom EKWB loop with only a single 420 radiator up top. It works fine, ~500w load gaming, max coolant temperature in a comfortable room is about 43C which translates to ~52C GPU, ~60C CPU. The CPU just sits at 4.7 all core turbo forever when gaming, and the GPU settles around 1950-1965 MHz boost forever. Two radiators are not strictly necessary, although having a second one wont hurt anything, it just may not actually help by a measurable amount.

Also I stuck one of these in as the cap on my GPU manifold: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CMR3CC2/ which I use to control my radiator fans and pump via the coolant temperature directly. If your motherboard or fan controller has an option for using a thermristor like that as a control source I highly recommend doing so as it will smooth out your fan/pump speed controls like magic. (Note, certain motherboards may force the CPU FAN header to only ever be controlled by the CPU temp and cannot be overridden by a different sensor, avoid using said header if yours does.)

Interesting, I never thought to use a plug like that but it makes a lot of sense. Does everyone use BIOS settings to control their pumps and fans or do you use software for the pump?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I already actually have a full complement of noctua 140s so I should be alright. I like the arctic stuff though.

Do you guys vary your pump speed in BIOS as well? If not, where do you leave it set to in terms of PWM?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:00 on Jan 9, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

I run my pump at 35% PWM (~1875 RPM). Its a D5, they are insanely fast at 100% which is entirely unnecessary and excessive. Less wear and tear plus it renders it totally inaudible. I can override to 100% with some fan control software, but multiple tests checking it between 35% and 100% showed no observable difference in load temperatures on either the CPU or the GPU. Fast enough is fast enough.

Yeah I kinda plan on just setting it to 40% at first, although I think mine is a DDC pump?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Warmachine posted:

A little late to the party, but I wanted to offer my two cents.

1. I went with a grab bag of components from different places. I went with EK for my blocks because they made what I needed for my jobs. Honestly if I knew that tidbit about HWLabs, I'd have probably gotten their radiators.
2. Heat soak potential. A larger volume of water takes longer to get to saturation temperature.
3. Correct, it does not matter. What might matter is flow direction if your water blocks have some sort of directional gimmick. Read the manuals.
4. No point. You're already well into overkill/diminishing returns territory.
5. Yes. Should be well within all but the most bargain of bargain basement pump specs. Multiple pumps are generally a redundancy thing, and usually only make sense in enterprise-level implementations where you can't just shut down on a whim to fix the problem.
6. Why not set both radiators to intake and use the rear exhaust as exhaust?
7. Brown and beige if your budget allows. If you're dropping that much money on your loop, what is 7x $25USD in fans anyway? Arctic of course is the next best thing and far cheaper if money is actually an object to you.

This might be an SFF problem, but my motherboard simply didn't have the options for the level of control I wanted, so I ended up getting an aquacomputer Octo to run everything, which let me do other silly things like run a 3.25 DDC on a PWM header because the Octo's headers are specced for 2A and most motherboard fan headers are only specced at 1A. But in my case my pump speed is static unless things get outside of my target temperature. Unless I'm in a situation where every last gram of performance matters, the effect of flow speed isn't worth the extra noise--especially in my case as the pump is external due to space constraints.

I actually can't praise the Octo/Quadro enough. Aquacomputer's software is great, most of the settings save directly to the board so you can set it and forget it if you don't want to use the more :rice: functions. The big thing for me is the ability to set a target temperature that is variable with the ambient temperature.

Above all remember that in the vast majority of cases water cooling is 100% luxury and you're doing this for fun.

Thanks for this! I just hate the idea of bringing heat into my case with 6 140mm fans pulling through rads.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

EK got back to me about flushing rads and recommended I just use warm distilled water and shake it around. Do you guys think that would be adequate? I don't want to buy distilled white vinegar and mess with all that if I don't have to. Thanks.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

I just got back from a Best Buy and I'm looking for ways to add after market cooling onto my pre-built PC and I got upsold on water based cooling. I can have the store do installation, but I just read the first page of this thread and the last two pages of this thread and I understood nothing and now it's kinda making me scared.

I don't know. If I get an all in one kit and a guy who's contractually obligated to work on my computer can I approximate the artesian experience locally? What words do I need to know and how should I ask how to contract maintenance? I am not ready to do this as a hobby,

Should I even try to shove a liquid cooler in the ASUS ROG case? Should I make the dude transfer every component into my old Fractal case and maintain air cooling. Instead of spending all this money on cooling... maybe I should get a cabinet or someplace off the floor to put this $1700 piece of capital equipment. Man the future is so loving weird plz help.

You almost certainly don't need water cooling, I don't know where to start and I bet 4-5 other goons are writing and erasing replies right now because it's one of those like... yeah.

There's so much here but yes you were upsold on something that is going to be an expensive hassle for you that almost guarantees future expensive headaches down the line.

Why do you think you need water cooling? What problem are you solving?

So water cooling isn't really 'better' than not water cooling, especially if you're the kind of person who doesn't know anything about it. All of us here are overclocking, spending $30 per fan, checking our temps and all that kind of thing. We're spending hours and hours and hours tinkering with stuff to get an extra 4-5%. The bottom line is that air coolers are 100% fine and can absolutely have that system running at peak performance. If THEIR OWN PREBUILT can't cool itself (it almost certainly can) you should be asking for a refund and not giving them more money...

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:19 on Jan 21, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

KirbyKhan posted:

I built a computer when that first Trump check hit. The graphics card fried from a wired electrical storm that bordered on a haunting. I suddenly got clearance to buy a whole rear end prebuilt and some extra money to make it nicer. A buckwild position to be in. So I was vulnerable to being upsold.

The problem I'm trying to solve is noise and airflow. I used a stock fan on the computer I built and I don't like it. After sitting on it for the night I remember why I don't go liquid cooling.

The total tech is a family thing... Like an HBO subscription that was set up to watch Sopranos when it was current and just... kept going and now the next generation has HBO Go and a grandbaby gets to watch Dune. So I guess I'm trying to maximize the use of the subscription service because I'm not allowed to turn it off to save other people money.

The water cool upsell was mostly motivated by being burned by the GPU drop this morning. I wanted best buy to pay and I couldnt think of anything more cantankerous that making a geeksquad guy do extra fiddling to a prebuilt. Thank you thread for existing and responding. I'm much calmer now. Just gonna trade in the water cooler for a Master Cooler and another monitor or some ram I guess idk I'm booting the thing tomorrow.

Edit: or whatever the only thing I wanted was the 3070. I got a fractal case and case fans already lmao my CPU wasn't broken it was just the gpu oh computers and decision making are hard. What the gently caress am I gonna do with all these components?!?! Ahhh this is how people end up with NAS storage and Plex servers!!!

Just put your components in the fractal case and get a decent air cooler for the cpu. This whole thing is pretty all over the place and I hope you are taking care of your mental health.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

I have a 280mm corsair AIO on my 9900k and it cools fine. The limitation is definitely the TIM on this chip.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Yeah I was going to ask what weird GPU that is.

You don't have to make excuses for your bejeweled RAM, be true to yourself.

e: and in being true to myself and my idiot brain I didn't order a CPU block with the big EKWB order. Yay!

I ordered one from a Canadian retailer.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 05:25 on Jan 25, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Hey so I posted awhile ago about my build, it's a 9900k and 3090, with two 420mm rads. I've really been waffling on orientation of the fans on the rads, which will be front and top. I've always had my rads exhausting to the outside of the case, but I worry if I do that with this setup I'll have a pretty serious negative pressure/dust issue in the case. Here's the mockup again but with the non-radiator fan locations marked in purple, and to clarify, the basement plate above where the two bottom fans are will be removed anyways for the radiator so there's nothing really blocking them:

So if I set the rads up as exhausts, there are 3 140mm fan locations available for intakes. So I would have like... 6 exhaust fans and 3 intake fans. Even given that the exhaust fans are pushing through radiators, and won't need to be ran very fast due to the amount of radiator I'm running, and I could run the three intake fans pretty high speed without hearing them (Noctua), it just feels like I'll still be negative pressure.

If I set it up so air is being pulled through the rads into the case, I only really have one good exhaust fan option, the rear top one. The two fans in the basement area will not really be getting a lot of hot air and probably wouldn't be great as exhausts. I also don't love the idea of keeping every single component in the case warmer than necessary, especially as I still have two HDDs in there.

What would you do and why?

e: All the fan locations are filtered, even the back 140mm fan has a filter.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

BurritoJustice posted:

Personally, I would go front intake, top exhaust on the radiators, then just gave the rear 140 on intake. The bottom two slots will just mess with the flow, I feel. You'll also run into space issues with the max size rads and a decent PSU trying to fit bottom fans.

I have 360 front intake, 280 top and 120 rear exhaust rads and I have to run the front fans a slightly higher curve to have positive pressure (testing just by feeling airflow over little gaps)

I thought about this but thinking about the hot air from the front rad going right up into the top rad makes me feel bad + gross. I agree that the bottom fan location kinda sucks.

You might find it interesting, I use the barometer in my S9+ to check things like the pressure level inside negative/positive pressure room in the hospital. It's a sensitive enough ... sensor that just raising the phone from the floor to the level of a desk changes the pressure.

I put the phone inside my case and looked at it through the panel and basically I'm dumb as hell because the PC case has all sorts of areas where air flows in and out to reach pressure equilibrium. So I guess if I was really curious I'd light a shishkabob stick and blow it out and watch what that smoke does when I move it around the exterior of the case.

e: I should also add that the case can take bigger rads, I'm using 420mm rads but it can actually take 480mm rads so there's a fair bit of room to move things around.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

adeadcrab posted:

I would probably go intake on all rad fans and bottom two fans, exhaust on rear.

If you try lighting an incense stick over the top of your case, you’ll see that spare 60mm at the top rear will function as a passive exhaust.

I have tried and observed this on my system (2 bottom intake, 2 front intake pulling through GPU AIO rad, 2 top intake, Noctua DH-15 pulling all that air to the rear of my case).
Because my top fans are 2*140 I have a gap at the rear so I cranked my rear 140 exhaust 10-20% and the top rear passively exhausts the rest.

The difference with your setup is there is no extra airflow in the centre of your case as mine is with a CPU air cooler. You could slightly increase the front intake RPM to mitigate this, however.

Thanks. Is there no concern about the ambient temp in the case being higher? For my HDDs I guess.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

https://i.imgur.com/9gzLVNx.mp4

Hope the link works, I'm on my phone in bed exhausted after building the custom loop for the last 4-5 hours. (The PC isn't turned on during that video, just powering the fan hub with a spare PSU, I guess the fan hub feeds back into the mobo somewhere, it's a fractal thing) I took my time and had some dinner and cat petting in there but it definitely took longer than I expected, but super fun. Took at least an hour just removing the existing stuff and swapping stock fans back into the AIOs, putting the old GPU into a box (2080 to hybrid --> 3090), trying different rad/pump configurations, learning how to use the fittings, etc. Total loop volume is around 1.5L with the two extra thicc 420 rads and 250 res.

Still have to wire the pump and fans properly now that I've more or less bled the system, and make the fan curves. And add a thermocouple to monitor ambient temps since those rads are both intakes. Oh yeah gotta add an exhaust fan too actually.

Anyone have a decent fan curve based on coolant temperature that they want to share? I wonder how quiet I can run it with this much radiator.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

The 45 and 90 deg fittings I got from EK... it's really wild how much movement they have in terms of tilting side to side. No leaks though.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Coredump posted:

Dang that's who I was looking at. Are bitspower or barrow any better?

To be clear, they're working fine. Just have a lot of play, but it's all sealed. I'm just surprised they seal.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Double posting a couple days later to show the completed build. Thanks to everyone in the thread who contributed their experience and knowledge to help me along with the build.

Happy with it. I have my fan curves set up so the pump is at steady state 65% speed (I didn't appreciate any differences from 50% to 100% speed and it's audible over 70%), and the radiator fans spin up to keep max load coolant temps at 40C. Playing God of War in 4k with everything maxed (and DLSS on quality) gives me ~90fps and the GPU never goes over 55C. CPU is spikey by nature (9900k) but I was able to drop my vCore a tiny bit after the custom loop and that's also working really well.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

AutismVaccine posted:

Set your D5 at max 35% and your fans to 600rpm or so. Should be plenty as long your components arent too restrictive

My D5 is set at 30% and my Noctua fans are at like 550rpm. I use a 420 and 280 UT60 with only 9fpi, so the low air flow works out ok. With furmark and prime running (~500W) the water gets very warm, but who cares if the CPU or GPU is at 60 or 65 or 70 degree.

I'm running a 'EK-Classic Pump Reservoir 160 SPC' which is a PWM driven DDC pump.

I get up to around 500-550w and yeah temps on the gpu never break 60, the cpu temps under synthetic tests can still spike basically to tjmax since it's bottlenecked by the solder TIM on my 9900k. Loop temps max at 40C.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Moey posted:

So I have an HP OEM 3090 that I am planning out a build around. Trying to keep it SFF, while still having some livable thermals. Currently I am planning on using an NR200 for a case.

Anyone have any experience with Bykski waterblocks? I have been eyeballing this one. An active backplate is a must, since this card likes to cook the memory chips on the backside of the PCB.

https://www.bykski.us/products/byks...n-rtx3090h-x-v2

I was also hoping to go with this goofy combo CPU block/pump/res.

http://www.barrowint.com/product/cpuslt/Barrowch_CPU_Water_Block/1615.html

For radiators, I can fit a 240mm radiator up top and a 92mm rad on the back.

For the loop I was planning on going

- CPU block pump
- 240mm rad
- GPU
- 92mm rad
- back to start

Any thoughts on this? I am new to the water cooling game.

It's doable... but I would probably get an AIO for the cpu and leave the GPU air cooled. I don't think you have the radiator space for a decent cooling solution for both so why add complexity with no benefit.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Hi there!

I have a 3950X/3090 setup that makes the office warm and loud, and while the warm part is a matter of physics I’m considering moving to water for noise reasons. I generally frame limit FFXIV to make it run quieter, which is sort of a waste of that card.

What are my best options here? I’m not against assembling a custom loop if that process can be made relatively idiot-proof and reversible. My case is a “be quiet! Silent Base 600”, in case anyone can recognize that in terms of radiator and fan options. I’m not super price-sensitive, especially if most of it can be reused for future AM5/40x0 parts.

Thanks for any guidance you can provide!

Ninja: I’m located in Canada but I can get stuff forwarded from the US, in case that matters for part recommendations.

Hey I'm in Vancouver, finished my water cooling build several months ago, the only real place to get stuff is https://www.dazmode.com I think he's in Ottawa or Toronto. Shipping was fast and no issues with anything from them.

I have to say, it sounds like if you just undervolt your GPU you'd solve every problem you're experiencing. You might not even lose performance and I'm guessing actually that you'd gain FPS over what you're limiting to and have a quieter card. I'm no expert on undervolting but if you look around online there are some great resources.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

Thanks, I’ll check them out. Is there a guide you’d recommend for figuring out how to put the plan together? I’m in Toronto and have a trip to Ottawa planned for next month, so that could work out well.

I already have an undervolt on my card, alas. I’ll make sure it didn’t stop getting applied due to a software update or something, but FFXIV is a terrible engine. The NVIDIA monitoring tool shows it peaking at about 50% GPU utilization but the fans run something fierce anyway. Maybe an airflow issue in the case? I could try that angle first I guess and buy some more fans.

You basically just look at the case you're using and see what will fit. If you look at my posts on this thread you'll see I screenshot a pic of the inside of my case and scribbled on that in mspaint to figure out what I'd be doing.

Sounds like you might be compromised on case cooling/airflow if your GPU is that hot at 50% load. Is the GPU getting up to 80c+ when you hear fans?

I'd try to isolate exactly which fans you're hearing. Lots of people have their case fans on curves attached to CPU temps and it's not a great idea, for example.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Jun 22, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Subjunctive posted:

I got Argus Monitor so that I could anchor fans against the worse of CPU/GPU temps, but I might not have set it up right. I’ll check the temps after I play for a bit next time, since I don’t remember off-hand what the GPU settles at. I think Argus can tell me if the GPU is throttling due to thermals? Maybe it was another program, but something can.

Would be great if the solution was just “some more fans”, at least from a cash perspective. The water cooling stuff does look like fun, though…

Its fun but you're looking at like 1200+ CAD to get the whole thing done and a lot of time, not to mention future headaches. I only did it because I got a factory EVGA waterblocked 3090 at MSRP.

All these GPUs are automatically overclocking themselves based on thermal state so they're constantly 'throttling', but in both directions.

Do you have a thermal probe you can use to monitor your case air temp near the GPU inlet? That would be super useful. I have my case fans (non radiator intake) on a curve based on my case air temp. If you find your case temps are high that might be the solution. What case do you use?

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Sorry I'm on my phone but I would try to get the GPU AIO in exhaust config on the top and the cpu AIO to intake config on the front. Use the bottom fans for intake and keep the exhaust fan. Scale the intake fans on the bottom and that rear exhaust fan to a thermal probe for case temp and scale the AIO rad fans to their respective coolant temps if you have that information accessible. Leave the pump speeds on the aios around 50% imo if you don't feel like playing with that.

I suggest finding the audible floor of your fans and setting all of them to just below that level at baseline.

My reasoning for the positioning is the tdp of the GPU and therefore the energy it is turning into heat is better dispersed directly out of the case than the cpu heat load, which is less.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PoizenJam posted:

I agree with parts of this in principle, but placing the GPU at the top of the case is not (physically) possible with my current setup, and would also place the pump at the extreme top of the GPU AIO loop (i.e. the pump is in the RAD, not the water block). But also, isn't dumping the warmed air from the CPU RAD into the way-warmer GPU RAD going to just decrease the effectiveness of that GPU AIO?

As for the fan control you suggest, I use FanControl. I have done something conceptually similar to what you suggest already. I link the RAD fans to Temp of their respective device; the case fans to the averaged temp across several internal components. I also link the AIO pump speeds to the time-averaged temp of their devices, but in those cases I've used a step function (i.e. they'll typically kick up to 100% pump speed under heavy load where the sound is masked by the fans anyway).

Ah sorry I missed the part about the pump being on the rad. And yeah it's not ideal but with two radiators and that configuration you can't do all of them as exhausts. I tried! See my posts earlier in the thread.

I'm not convinced that pump speed helps cooling and I believe there is actually a performance falloff at both ends - too slow and too fast. You might want to try not scaling your pump speed and see if you get better results. I'm nearly certain that 100% pump speeds are worse than 80% for example and that somewhere is a sweet spot from 50-80%.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm hesitating a purchase for 3 days now all because this one 80 cent item in my cart is out of stock https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-hdc-fitting-14mm-o-ring-6pcs I probably don't need spare o-rings for my first build right?

I didn't buy any. An o ring is one of very few items I would be happy getting from a hardware store with a real one in hand to compare and make sure it's the same dimensions.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I mean I'm not going to damage an o-ring, all I have to do is not damage one. How hard could it be?

Honestly I used soft tubing and I don't think I ever even saw an o ring.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

My experience with a lot of companies is that when something goes out of stock they never know when it'll be in stock so I'm going to go ahead and make the purchase without spare parts. Oh baby Jesus. Who bought all the o-rings, are they clumsy or something?

The spare parts you SHOULD buy are a few fittings, maybe 1 extra 90 and an extra 45 in addition to an extra straight fitting. Also, figure out how much coolant you'll need in your loop because I needed more than I ordered. Whoops.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Indiana_Krom posted:

IMO if you have two radiators they should either both be on intake or both be on exhaust, I experimented with my own two radiators and both on intake kept my coolant about 1-2C lower at load compared to various intake/exhaust/mixed configurations. I settled on both as intake because my case has filters for the locations where I have my radiators mounted so I could minimize dust intake by making my case positive pressure and drawing in all the air passing over my radiators from outside. As a result my case has 5 fans on intake (280MM + 420MM radiators) with only a single fan in the back on exhaust that barely needs to exist at all because the positive pressure is so high. But it works and quite well at that, when my system is at load you can easily feel the heat blowing out the single exhaust fan in the back.

Have you looked at your temps for other components in the PC? When I had both radiators drawing air in my HDDs were getting into the 50C+ area. Yes I have a few local HDDs in addition to a variety of other storage.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

PoizenJam posted:

So last night I decided to test the dual-intake config. Rather than move the AIO RAD as initially planned, I simply flipped the fans on my CPU AIO RAD into an intake pull config, then flipped the 3x120mm FRONT/SIDE fans to be exhaust, for the following config:

FRONT/SIDE: 3 x 120mm case fans (EXHAUST)
TOP: 360mm CPU AIO RAD + FANS (INTAKE, PULL CONFIGURATION)
BOTTOM: 240mm GPU AIO RAD + FANS (INTAKE, PULL CONFIGURATION)
REAR: 1 x 120mm case fan (EXHAUST)

This is slightly sub-optimal (compared to moving the rad to the FRONT-SIDE position), if only because I am fighting convection with those top intake fans. However, I noticed an immediate decrease of 6-10C on the CPU at idle, depending on the load of the GPU. At load, though, there doesn't appear to be a huge difference compared to my original config (GPU AIO Intake, CPU AIO Exhaust). The temperatures of interior components in the case (MOBO, PCH, SSD) increased across the board as both the CPU and GPU are now dumping hot air in the case. I'm not particularly worried, since MOBO is still safe and NVME run just fine at the temps. The PCH seems to run hotter in this config though... About 82C. Which is concerning, but maybe not a problem.

I could flip the FRONT/SIDE case fans back to INTAKE for extreme positive pressure (8 x 120mm intakes total vs. 1 x 120mm exhaust), and to add some fresh, non-heated air to the mobo. But I always thought a balanced or slightly positive pressure build was best?

Edit: So after analyzing this further, it seems that this configuration is worse in pretty much every way except for the CPU idle temps. GPU is ~2-5C warmer in most use conditions, and my PCH temps climbed up to >90C after a soak in period. In my old config (GPU AIO INTAKE + CPU AIO EXHAUST), those temps were low 70s. Ram feels pretty hot too. Best guess is dumping so much hot air into the case is particularly bad after a 'soak' period. I'm going to try an exhaust configuration next.

Are you running 100% pump speed though? I still maintain that's a mistake and I wouldn't test anything else while that variable is set. Sorry if I'm misremembering.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm realizing I don't think my motherboard has a header for the temperature sensor.

Motherboard manual.pdf

What should I do? I think I need a specialized fan controller that accepts a temperature reading, but we're entering a realm of customization with this thing that makes me uncomfortable. What would I need to buy?

E:

It's going in the loop either way because it makes this 45 clear the fan.

It's so lovely and 2022 that your mobo has multiple RBG points but no header for temperature probes. I tried googling around to see if there was a PCI-E or USB solution but couldn't find one. I would agree that you don't really want to go to a third party temp monitor/fan speed controller if you can help it.

Maybe there's a non-2 pin style inline temp probes you can use. Not sure? Hoping someone else here knows of an elegant solution.

e: Is this a NEW build or are you adapting water cooling to your existing system? If it's new I'd honestly return that mobo and buy one with temp headers. If you can't return it, I'd sell it at a small loss and buy a mobo with the right headers for what you're doing here.

If it's a system you're already using that does make it more of a headache.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 20:34 on Jul 18, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm putting the temperature sensor on the pump outlet, unless anyone tells me not to.

It doesn't matter where you put the sensor because the coolant essentially reaches temperature equilibrium throughout. Yes it's unintuitive.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I know right, the rad is massive. It's the middle thick 360 from ek, the case is meshify 2. I'm starting to see why water-cooling is put in xl cases. Can't imagine wanting to put this into a compact.

I just took apart my ek quantum magnitude strx40 block to reverse outlets, that was harrowing. I hope to God it still works.

Yeah I have the meshify 2 XL (look at my posts in the thread to see it) and 2x CoolStream CE 420 from EKWB, they're thicc boys and I was happy to have the large case.

Can't tell from the photo but are you going to be unable to unplug your motherboard PSU cable with the rigid tubing there?

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 19:22 on Jul 25, 2022

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Wish me luck

Pray for me.

Hell yeah man get it buddy

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

That's absolutely not going to effect cooling performance.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

namlosh posted:

So where do I get pipe like that? Sorry to storm in, but I loosely follow the thread after water cooling decades ago and want to know what pipe can be heated up and bent like that. It’s very cool, great job man!

PETG I think is the material, a type of acrylic if I'm not mistaken. You'd want to get it from a PC water cooling supply place so it's exactly the right dimensions for the fittings probably.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

I'm uh I'm indecisive.

After a couple of hours with this tube, I've come up with this result. It seems to fit. I'm going to step back and look at it again tomorrow.

It's got a much less symmetrical look than I intended when I started. The tubes run parallel up from the pump, and then do their own thing.

I think part of the issue is this is really hard.

That looks fantastic, I'd be more than happy with it. That doesn't look like someone's first time in any way.

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Remind me again why you aren't using motherboard headers for the fan control? I can't remember the reason. I know you don't have temp probe headers on the mobo but you should still be able to use fan headers and BIOS fan control. Otherwise its hard to say because I've never used the quadro.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

VelociBacon
Dec 8, 2009

Nolgthorn posted:

Akasa SOHO AR AK-FN108-KT03 120mm - x3

I realized after I bought them they might be air flow fans rather than strictly air pressure fans, but the ratings were pretty good either way. I've also read it doesn't make too big a difference. It might be something I change later. Are they ok? I don't think there is space around them.

Might be auxillary fans, blowing air in weird directions inside my case. In any way I'm not really trying to min max, just get everything running to a comfortable operating efficiency. The numbers for which I have no idea.

Are mine poor? This is a threadripper 3970x and it spits fire. So I'm happy with the results I'm just wondering if they should be improved or are are ok as they are.

I think the best process for fan speed stuff is to set them all flat %s, start turning it up, and see where it's actually audible to you in a quiet room. Make a note of that % and then keep going up, make another note of the % at which you consider it louder than you would tolerate while gaming or rendering or whatever. Set the floor for the fan speed 5-10% below the audible level, and set the max to just before the point at which you consider it too loud (or have it plateau there). Have the morphology of the fan curve however you like in there, probably an increasing arc like y=x^2 kinda thing because you do want to let the coolant heat up to a point - it makes the transfer of heat to the air more efficient (requires less fan speed/noise). Looking at your fan curve, I would experiment with making it a little more of an aggressive ramp up but it's really not that big of a deal - figuring out the acoustic preferences like I mentioned I think is more important.

Myself and the buddies I know who run custom loops target around 40C for the coolant temp, allowing it to go higher in synthetic tests, usually not really much higher than that 44C you mentioned. The threadripper does change this of course, I don't know the TDP or the max recommended temp but for sure with that single radiator and that CPU you'd expect to have the temp exceed 40C under extended time at full load. I would guess that the temps you described in your earlier post (80s and dipping into the 90s) are perfectly safe.

The fans blowing air in 'weird directions' in the case shouldn't matter too much so long as your net intake is sufficient and your GPU isn't exhausting somehow right into the CPU radiator (it isn't).

e: Looked at your photos again - I have a fractal case also and my front fans are moveable up and down, like where you screw them in is actually a vertical channel on each side; if you can I would drop the fans so that the top fan (of the two front fans) isn't blowing as much into the side of the top radiator and rather is able to push cool air across the surface of those radiator fans.

VelociBacon fucked around with this message at 22:17 on Jul 28, 2022