Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.
Is there an intro to water cooling I can read or general advice/recommendations from you guys? I currently have my PC in a Meshify C. It's an 8086K cooled my a Dark Rock Pro 4, and a 2070 Super cooled by a recently installed G12/H55 combo. It has inspired me to want to do a custom loop someday because I love the look of a clean build and I'm a whole lot less intimidated after successfully installing the G12

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I don't know what this thing is, and I don't care. I'm just tired of seeing your stupid newbie av from 2011.

ilkhan posted:

Jayztwocents has some good YouTube videos, and ekwb has good manufacturer info on components and what is needed. Otherwise questions in here will do, ask away.

Oh, EKWB has a great configurator that I'm playing with. This gets less daunting as I go on

Edit: oh dear that's over $600 oh my

Edit 2: Adding everything to my cart brings it down to $500, must not calculate sales in the configurator. Not gonna buy soon definitely but that's good to know

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 07:23 on Dec 5, 2019

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Collateral Damage posted:

A custom loop gets pretty expensive, but most of the components can be reused through many computer upgrades. Especially nowadays when you don't have a new style of cooler mount with every CPU generation. So it's more of an investment than a cost.

That's true. I really want to do it but I keep thinking I have a perfectly good cooling system going now. Even if I'm backwards (air cooled CPU/water cooled GPU).

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Another quick question. It occurred to me that I have a few spare Fractal Design Dynamic X2 GP-12 fans. Would I be at any disadvantage running these over EKWB's EK-Vardar EVO 120ER?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

I think they should be fine, almost any fan of that class will do the job and the primary concern should be throttle range and noise.

The Vardars are decent high static pressure fans but I'll be honest and say I was less than impressed with mine, I had 3 of the 140MM ones and one of them started to squeak after only a year of use. I eventually replaced them with the black noctua fans which are a little quieter and perform just as well.

The thing to keep in mind about water cooling, or really all cooler types is thermal resistance increases as the temperature delta between what's being cooled and the ambient temperature decreases. So basically the closer to room temperature something is, the harder it is to remove heat from it. And that also means the further above room temperature something is, the easier it is to remove heat from it. So at less than a 10C temperature delta it is extremely difficult to improve the performance of a radiator, but past 10C it becomes extremely difficult to make it get any hotter because these things can dump insane amounts of energy once they cross that threshold. The fan throttle on my radiator has next to zero impact on my full load (~375w) temperatures, but turning on my room air conditioning almost immediately results in a matching coolant temperature drop regardless of the fans or their throttles.

That's good to hear, that can save me a few bucks and actually put them to use

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Hello. I bought Corsair H55 and NZXT Kraken G12 to make my GPU actually quiet. It performs really well but the pump makes loud af buzzing noise that is super annoying, at idle it's now way louder than stock cooling. I can hear the buzzing from the other side of the room 4 meters away.
I found this thread with Corsair employees telling someone it's normal:
https://forum.corsair.com/v3/showthread.php?p=990682
https://youtu.be/B_w0TYafOSE
No way this loud buzz is normal if so many use AIOs for silence focused builds.

GPU thread suggested to RMA it and so I did that. Got it back just 4 days later with a paper telling me they didn't find any issues.
I did even more testing myself. Tried it on the normal fan headers set to DC mode at 100% power, same thing. Tried running it at various angles, no difference. So what should I do? Is this really normal? My mobo is Asus Strix B450-F.

Hm. Yeah my pump doesn't sound like that at all, running on full. I took a short video of mine running in-game and muted. Can't hear anything sitting normally, can only hear the coil whine or the G12 fan when you get close:

https://imgur.com/gok6NBY

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Your video doesn't have sound btw. :v:
Also what RPM does your pump run at?

I'm gonna go to the shop tomorrow and try to get an refund. Not sure if they'll be okay with that.
Hopefully my second NF-A12x25 fan will arrive this week so I can zip tie them onto my GPU.

Oh oops, should've just shared from Google Photos itself

https://photos.app.goo.gl/eRqyVUdru3Bsa3hP7

Refund is probably the best route

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Album is empty :v:

Would you be so kind and check what RPM your pump is running at? Mine is reported to be running at 1450-1500 RPM.

Edit: well I didn't get a refund because it has no defects so its going through the testing or whatever once again.

Oops, accidentally deleted the video. It should be back on that same link. My pump runs around the same range, high 1400s

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sininu posted:

Good, good, I saw some conflicting numbers for the intended pump speed online. And your system seems to be really quiet! I'm hoping to get similar results eventually. CPU side is all fine with Noctua NH-D15 but GPU and the goddamn power supply still need work.

Sent you a pm

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Why did I do this

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I hate all of this and all of you

Tbf I think I have a route figured out. But that'll happen tomorrow after work for another nightnare evening

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Sideways reservoir above the electronics. Living dangerously I see.

Most of the builds using my case on r/watercooling were either that way or right under the graphics card. If I could figure out a simple way to mount the pump on the bottom of the case I might try that. Either way the PSU is right under everything

Edit: Went ahead and put the final two tubes in before work. Need to put the drain on the bottom of the GPU and I'll be good

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 18:04 on Jan 24, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Almost two hours into a leak test and it's dry, thankfully. This is going to be a nerve-wracking night's sleep and then day at work, Jesus

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Indiana_Krom posted:

With soft tubing and compression fittings there is very little you have to be concerned about, this type of loop is incredibly durable:

I'd read that and it's reassuring. I just have low confidence in things I built myself

Edit: I have some EK pre-mixed colored coolant that I want to use, once I've verified the loop doesn't leak and actually cools my parts, is it as simple as draining the loop completely, and refilling with the coolant?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 21:17 on Jan 25, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

Pretty much. If you want to keep maintenance to a minimum, stay with clear tho. The colorants seem to be typically a pain in the rear end.

How so?

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Went ahead with colored coolant. I wanted red damnit. Also my main takeaway from all this is... I need more LEDs

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ilkhan posted:

Looks good to me. You've got plenty of LEDs slready.

Where does the near side of the road run to? Res?

It runs resevoir > GPU > CPU > radiator > resevoir

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Combat Pretzel posted:

This is one is pretty translucent, so you don't need to sweat it that much. There's coolants with opaque and sometimes pearlescent kind of colors. Those are the worst.

--edit:
That kind of crap:

Oh ok. Should I flush every 6 months or annually? I assume 6 months with the dye

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Huh, that's reassuring. I'll be honest, this whole thing was easier than I thought. It was daunting but once I started thinking about it and going piece by piece it all worked. I think eventually I'll get some better fans since I ended up throwing in some spare Fractal Design Dynamic X2 fans on the radiator. I've heard good things about Gentle Typhoons and a big fan roundup on overclock.net praised them pretty highly.

...Also I bought an LED strip for my case anyways

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

B-Mac posted:

If you don’t hate the noctua colors or cost, the a12x25 are the best 120mm fans I’ve ever owned. Though I imagine you want to stick with the black theme.

Yeah, I was hoping to stick with black. My other option was black NF-F12 fans but that fan roundup had the Typhoons outperforming them, at similar price. I guess I could wait for chromax A-12s but I think I'll just grab Typhoons for $20 per fan. Eventually. I'm done messing with things for a while

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Sorbus posted:

Leak testing my first water build - there's some flakes in the loop so I'll drain it and put new fluids in.

e:

it works!

Looks great!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Minor update, replaced the GP-12 X2s I had on my radiator and exhaust with Gentle Typhoons, holy moly that was a good idea. One of them is defective so I have to replace it, so I put the old fan in as exhaust and I can easily feel the difference in amount of air moved between the two at 1200rpm.

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Kerosene19 posted:

That EKWB configurator makes it too easy. Just plunked down $700 on custom loop parts and another $2600 at Newegg for a new I7-9700k build.
This is gonna be fun!

Word of warning their slim rad is garbage, I bought a Hardware Labs Nemesis GTS based on a slim rad roundup

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Don't use aluminum anything. Don't use EK slim radiators (their mid and thick ones are fine though I think? I was limited to thin so I don't know). More/thicker radiators are good if your case can fit but it isn't necessary depending on CPU/GPU, I'm cooling an i7-8086K and an RTX2070 Super with only a single thin 360mm radiator. Granted, the CPU was delidded at Silicon Lottery. But even with extremely mild overclocks (I did the lazy +100 to 200mhz on every core of the CPU with no voltage adjustment, and max power limit +100mhz core/+500mhz mem on the GPU) temps aren't bad. Usually mid 40s for the CPU and mid 50s for the GPU.

Like always, Micro Center can be helpful. I was able to get the GPU block for like less than $70 because it was on clearance of something. performance-pcs.com is another great site to get parts from, they run a rewards program that might help if you need more parts after your initial order plus they have pretty good sales sometimes.

The folks at r/watercooling are also a great resource.

Measure absolutely everything. I got extremely lucky that my GPU block fit, since an RGB portion juts out enough to be right up against the fans/radiator. Plus my pump/res was juuuust small enough to fit. It didn't help that my case was not meant for watercooling at all.

This pretty much only applies to modular PSUs, but I personally wouldn't buy anything except for one. Connect everything (fan headers, pump header, whatever RGB headers, CPU power, MB power) to your motherboard before you start installing stuff if it will be obscured. Leave your MB, CPU, SATA, PCI power disconnected from the PSU itself when you leak test but having things ready to go without blindly snaking cables behind the pump/res and praying you have them lined up would be a godsend. Ask me how I'd know :(

There are many opinions on fan choice. I originally had some Fractal Design case fans, but they were noisier than I wanted. I then bought some Gentle Typhoons where were extremely quiet and extremely effective but the motor has a very faint buzz that of course I couldn't unhear. I googled around and I guess its a common issue. I have a habit of being sensitive to these noises so ymmv. I tried some Corsair ML120s but they were actually awful. All 4 I had had a... vibration? I know they say they are maglev bearings but that's the only way I can describe it. I settled on Arctic P12 PST/PWM since they were like $30 for a 5 pack. Tiny bit noisier than the GTs, basically the same performance. Someday I might spring for some Noctua A15s if they ever do black versions but with how impressed I've been with the Arctics I doubt it.

There might be more tips but that's what I learned from my personal experience a couple months ago

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I bought something today!

Decided I needed to add another radiator in case I decide to jump on a 3080. My Meshify C can technically handle one more but I about killed myself trying to fit everything. So I decided to get something suited to it. I sorta feel like a basic bitch but that might just be from spending too much time on r/watercooling. But I couldn't find a similar case that looked so easy to do a double 360 radiator setup. The only other one that looked compelling was the Thermaltake Tower 900 but I realized I'd be spending over $100 more just to have something ~unique~. It looks so cool though.

Unfortunately my extra rad, fans, and couple fittings won't be here until later this week so I can't have fun just yet

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ufarn posted:

Nice! Are you gonna get the distro plate, too?

I decided not to. I realized the pump in it was a ddc 3.1 and the new one with a d5 pump was like $350. I'm just reusing my d5 pump/res combo

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

ufarn posted:

The new one is for the XL, but lord, $350 is nuts. It's weird the regular non-XL hasn't had its pump upgraded to something like 3.2 yet given its age.

There's two actually!

This one for the regular O11D:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

And one that's $30 more for the XL:
https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Sep 8, 2020

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

movax posted:

I did not know those were things.

I've been thinking about doing a Meshify C build... and then I saw this: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-fractal-atx-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

I thought I read somewhere that the R6/Meshify C have the same internal structure, just differ in some external cosmetics? Wonder if that would work in a Meshify C.

It says it supports the Meshify S2, isn't that more or less the same case? If so it'd help a ton, my C is kinda jammed with tubing

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

movax posted:

Nah, the S2 is loving massive compared to the C — I built my work machine in a S2 and it's quite a bit longer. I really need something that's compact enough to mount in a CPU holder under my standing desk — not sure if anyone's found a good Goldilocks case for water cooling + mounting under a desk.

What rad config do you have in your C? I'm thinking 240 mm, 360 mm rads, D5 pump, HEATKILLER IV PRO WB so far.

I have a single 360 slim. I've seen people put a 240 up top as well, but I ended up sticking my res there

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Man this O11D is so much easier to build in. Though there were still some hangups. There wasn't enough space to attach my GPU's rgb strip so I had to unscrew and move the bottom radiator to fit it in. The pump is higher than I'd like so any time I fill the rest I'll need to remove the fan above. And I'm not sure if I want to shorten that run from the CPU to the top radiator. I have spare tubing so I might give it a shot.

But overall it was way easier than jamming things in my Meshify C

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Double post but I finished the new loop

I ran OCCT on the full power stress test. The CPU (8086K) stayed at 65C, and the GPU (2070S) at 55C. Are those good temps considering nothing is overclocked? I never ran a stress on my old one radiator setup so I don't have anything to compare to

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

I'm curious why you chose Corsair as opposed to other vendors, and why hardline over soft.

But congrats on taking the step, its extremely rewarding once everything is up and running!

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Cloner of the Elks posted:

Ok, this will sound utterly stupid but hear me out!

Distilled water isn't as commonly available in UK as you might think. You can get it, but the price is utterly stupid when you finally do find it. Most of the 'closest' stuff you an find is Deionized water which from what I've read is not what should be used.

Distilled water on Amazon is, at the cheapest I can find with reasonable postage times, £7.90. That's 1.5 litres.

Mayhems distilled water with cleaning additives on Overclockers which is £2.50. that's 1 liter.

Quite why the price of evaporated water is so high, I have no idea. I'd make it myself if I had the time and desire to burn gas (though thinking about it, utilities would probably end up costing me more than £2.50 for less yield.

I spent more time looking for this goddamn water than I'll wilfully admit :haw:

Wow, that's insane. When I did my loop I paid like, a dollar for a gallon

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Well now I'm curious. My res is filled to the exact top with water. Should I take a tiny bit out? It runs fine and temps are good

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

And of course some people like me just prefer the looks of soft tubing over hard tubing. I like the organic-ish way it bends rather than having industrial lines

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

movax posted:

Where specifically in the case did you have it?

Ah, bummer... I don't think I need that. Is that more useful in areas where ambient air temp moves a lot?

Not them but I did a custom loop in a Meshify C. Didn't have to drill anything, I was able to mount the pump/res to the top fan mounts

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

sarr posted:

Thanks guys!

Yeah, it's the O11 XL. The pump is actually a D5. This is the distro plate I'm using: https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantum-reflection-pc-o11d-xl-d5-pwm-d-rgb-plexi

I'm definitely getting that non-XL version of that. I finally convinced myself that its worth the $300, now to wait until June when my card gives me 5% back on it

Edit: Wait poo poo performance-pcs is having a mothers day sale and I can get 10% off gently caress

Edit 2: Ok what is the flow pattern? Like what flows into what?

Endymion FRS MK1 fucked around with this message at 19:53 on May 7, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endymion FRS MK1
Oct 29, 2011

Oh hey I can't use that front distro. I have a normal O11, and that plate means I can't use a bottom 360 radiator. I might be able to Dremel part of the PCIe slots out to fit but I'd rather not