Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

I'm looking to cram a water loop into the next mini-ITX build I'm putting together. Space constraints make for very specific part needs. At the moment, I'm trying to find a reservoir that fits into a 3.5" drive bay. The only thing I've found on the market is this single offering from bitspower (they used to have a black version but discontinued it :confused: ).

https://shop.bitspower.com/index.php?route=product/product&path=320&product_id=3584

My question is whether or not you folks have seen a comparable product out there somewhere, or have alternative recommendations for working in a Silverstone FTZ01/mini-ITX cases in general.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Wow. I think I might end up reevaluating my build plans seeing this. I really like the look of that case, and the "top hat" feature seems perfect for messing around with water cooling in a small form factor without breaking out the dremel.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

forbidden dialectics posted:

My loop was almost $500 in fittings alone. Don't get into it for performance reasons; get into it if you're interested in it and treat it as a hobby.

I think this is where I've ultimately landed with my Ncase M1. I've never done a custom loop before, but something about this build just has me itching to take it all the way and see if I've got the skill and patience to complete it. Doing a double radiator GPU CPU loop in an M1 probably isn't a good first timer project but... hell with it. I reckon the hard part will be mapping the tubing runs and knowing what fittings I'll need so I don't buy a bunch that I don't need. But I've already got a general idea on this.

I'm not likely to finish until September though--I'm iffy on getting a new GPU before we hear more about the next gen parts. My 970 will suffice in the meantime.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

This makes me glad I'm starting small.

I can already see that custom fittings and tubing will make my cooling setup far better. The anti-kink springs on the Eisbaer's tubing do a great job of making sure the hoses don't kink and also making sure you can't position the hoses at all. It's tempting to get fittings and tubing now (or two paydays from now... whatever) and get everything hooked up in a sane way.

I'm a bit worried about clearance for fittings though. Doing things on an ITX board does NOT leave much side clearance off the block.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Is there anyone who can give me a measurement on the width between the back of the PCB and the top of an EKWB or similar low profile water block when attached to a card? I need to know how thick it is from that point. Backplate doesn't matter, since there's more than enough space in that direction.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

On the consumer side of things, that's been the difficult part of getting into this for me. It's relatively easy to find the specs on a fin stack and make a rough guess as to what kind of thermal rejection I can expect (this is generally a pass/fail assessment with lots of error), but the radiator question has been entirely opaque, because a 240x25mm radiator is not the same as 240x60mm radiator. The rule of thumb I've always been given is 120mm per component with an extra 120mm for overclock headroom/safety.

This is a practically worthless rule of thumb though because ok, 120mm on a 65w processor and 120mm on a 125w processor is going to have a very different effect, let alone the effect of the thickness I mentioned before.

Canna Happy posted:

You need to know fan speeds, water/air temp deltas etc.

But I don't buy why manufacturers can't control for this and provide a metric to compare between products. Even if it is only good internally because there's no standard (hi TDP), it would help when selecting what product to buy or judging how feasible a project is.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Yesterday my Ncase M1 reservoir that actually fits a DDC pump came, and I got that installed. Installed an EK 3.2 PWM DDC, and the whole thing is entirely more pleasant now. The fan curve does wonders to keep noise down when I don't need it to be cranking at it's full 4500 RPM.

I also know now that I absolutely will need to build in quick disconnects when I get my 3080 and finish the loop.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Anyone have experience with the quality on Bykski water blocks? They're the only company that has announced a 30xx FE block, but I'm not familiar with their reputation like I am EK or Alphacool.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Cloner of the Elks posted:

That's a good point.

With that in mind, I just ordered:
  • A bunch of Barrow fittings - 1x Ball valve, 2x 90 degree fittings, 2x 45 degree fittings, 6x standard fittings
  • The Corsair Hydro X Series, XD5 RGB Pump/Reservoir Combo
  • 1 litre Mayhems X1 premixed red coolant
  • 1 litre Mayhems distilled water for pre-flushing the rad (this was also cheaper than any other distilled water I could find)
  • 2x 500mm 10mm-ID, 14mm-OD PETG tubing. Wouldn't be surprised if I'll end up needing a bit more but this will do for now
Going to change my layout slightly from parallel to serial, so I think I have all the bits I need coming now. Will be interesting to see how this pans out.

And drat, I knew water cooling wasn't cheap but this is more than I expected.
Oh well, in for a penny, in for a pound!

I'm looking at $400 for the GPU side of my loop alone. :retrogames:

edit: Hold on, I just processed the "mayhems distilled water" line. Is this just clear coolant with a biocide in it? Or worse, marked up distilled water? For preflushing (getting any manufacturing gunk out of the loop) just use a regular rear end jug of distilled water from the grocery store. If they don't sell jugs, I think Aquafinia is the most-distilled of the bottled water brands (don't have a source on this off hand, just remember reading it when I was looking into coolants for the first time). Bonus point that you can drink what you don't use. Don't waste expensive stuff on flushing it down the drain.

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 14:59 on Nov 10, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ok, this will sound utterly stupid but hear me out!

Distilled water isn't as commonly available in UK as you might think. You can get it, but the price is utterly stupid when you finally do find it. Most of the 'closest' stuff you an find is Deionized water which from what I've read is not what should be used.

Distilled water on Amazon is, at the cheapest I can find with reasonable postage times, £7.90. That's 1.5 litres.

Mayhems distilled water with cleaning additives on Overclockers which is £2.50. that's 1 liter.

Quite why the price of evaporated water is so high, I have no idea. I'd make it myself if I had the time and desire to burn gas (though thinking about it, utilities would probably end up costing me more than £2.50 for less yield.

I spent more time looking for this goddamn water than I'll wilfully admit :haw:

:wtc:

Anyway, EK just put out a Peltier. Just in case you want to bump your 300W Intel CPU up to 500W.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantumx-delta-tec

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Warmachine posted:

:wtc:

Anyway, EK just put out a Peltier. Just in case you want to bump your 300W Intel CPU up to 500W.

https://www.ekwb.com/shop/ek-quantumx-delta-tec

So maybe this isn't total garbage? It sounds like they built a pretty good controller for it to keep it sane.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uOrUNT_0XVY

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Oh, and one more question though I suppose not specifically water cooling related.

Delidding.

Is it worth delidding and using liquid metal when water cooling? Will it make much of a difference at all or is it more for air cooled stuff?

I'm running a Kaby Lake i5 7600k and I'm toying with the idea but not sure if it's really worth it. I'd like to get the most out of my processor but it's not like it's struggling at standard clocked settings (I did plan to OC after the water cool build but have no specific numbers in mind)

I think this is an individual decision based on risk/reward, as well as a question of what processor you have. I doubt it is worth it on a 7600k, since it was really the 8xxx series that had the egregiously bad thermal properties without a delid. If you don't get the thermals you want after water cooling, don't mind risking bricking the processor, and believe your thermal bottleneck is between the die and the IHS, yeah go nuts. I'm pretty sure a delid mod is a guaranteed thermal efficiency boost assuming you don't gently caress up. Hell, maybe even try direct die cooling?

I neglected the "I just wanna try it lol" reason but I assume if you're asking you're not just doing it for the hobby factor. Whatever you do, I'd make sure you had a backup plan in case things go pear shaped. I know I'm planning the galaxy-brain use LM on a GPU die for my water cooled 3080, but you best believe I'm practicing on an old card first.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Different board, but it should look like this when you're done:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

So I put my first fittings and tube in and stepped back to check out my work.

Then it hit me: Is the ball valve in a totally stupid place and essentially ineffective? I'm thinking that instead of coming off the side of a 3-way adapter it should go beneath, and a tube running to the rad below should be off the side instead?

I'm assuming it is a drain port? Then you should try to make sure it is as close to the bottom of the loop as possible, or in a place that can become the bottom of the loop easily.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

I'm looking at rebuilding my rig soon and am going to finally be doing away with my full tower and adopting SFF. I'm looking at Sliger cases and it looks like if I want to get *really* compact I'm limited to a 92mm AIO vs 240mm for some of their slightly larger cases. How much of a difference does this make? From my limited research it looks like the 92mm radiators are able to hold up just fine but I want to make sure I'm not missing anything

The "rule of thumb" I was always given was 120mm per component, with an additional 120mm of headroom if you plan to overclock.

Honestly, I think this is bullshit, since 120mm can come in 25mm, 35mm, 60mm... thicknesses. Which while not as effective as another 120mm of length, still adds surface area and thus heat rejection, and I've seen with my own eyes a non-negligible difference in temperature between thinner and thicker radiators (fans held equal). I still don't have a good way to judge cooling effectiveness of a radiator in a volume-to-watts all else held equal way, since everyone always tells me when I ask that the calculations are too complicated.

You're probably fine putting a stock processor on a 92mm radiator, but maybe consider something a bit higher up the SFF volume chain like an Ncase M1 or Coolermaster NR200/P if you want to do water cooling in SFF. Both are more forgiving and have some hyper optimized setups you can play with. I'm still working on my dual 240 Ncase setup--just need the EK 3080FE block and a radiator. The NR200 in particular is extremely forgiving, since it's pretty much just an upscaled Ncase M1.

Usually the manufacturer will have something to say about what they think their product can and can't cool, so if you're looking at AIO's, take a look at manufacturer documentation. Much like overclocking, there's some wiggle room here since usually these recommendations are for a specific fan speed and temperature target. If your temperature target is higher, you can cool something that puts out more watts than the recommendation. You just have to be comfortable with 70C at load instead of 65C or whatever.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

PIZZA.BAT posted:

Yeah after thinking about it a bit more I figured getting a slightly larger case which allows for 240mm radiators is worth the tradeoff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HZS0ljxYxWw

Here. I'm doing a version of this.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

If you're going Zen3 (and you should be) a 92mm AIO will be more than enough to keep it cool. I think people tend to over-estimate the heat output of things sometimes, and as Warmachine said, the difference between a 120mm and a 240mm is often like 5C, and frankly who cares about that unless it's running right up against a thermal throttle (and it won't be)? Like there is absolute no reason to care about your CPU having a load temp of 70C instead of 65C. It just doesn't matter.

The NR200 is a thread darling for a reason, though, so unless you really want the smallest case available, it's an excellent all around choice that won't have you hating yourself while you try to figure out how the hell you're going to route cables or whatever.

Exactly. Sweating it out is really only productive if you're doing some wacky poo poo like redlining a 10900k with a 3090 going full boar. If you're doing something like that, you're not coming to us for help since you already know what the gently caress you're doing.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nomyth posted:

Had another thought. Passively cool a CPU while dedicating a loop to the GPU for less noise while idle?

Here's another perspective: your CPU and GPU are unlikely to both be running at max load at the same time. Your most likely cases are High GPU/Medium CPU or High CPU/Low GPU. Knowing this, you're unlikely to actually saturate a properly sized GPU+CPU loop, unless you are intentionally doing it or have an edge case workload. If you are gaming, you just won't. Full stop.

Furthermore, in a setup like this, instead of having GPU or CPU temperature control the fans, which doesn't take into account the other component, you can stick a thermal sensor in the loop and control the fans by coolant temperature. What advantage does this have? Less hysteresis from spikes in load, since the coolant takes time to saturate with heat--your fans won't ramp up and down with every little spike in load, and will ramp up slower in response to sustained loads in order to keep the liquid temperature in the target range.

There's more work involved to get this set up right, but everything I've heard says It's Just Better.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I have a custom water cooler, my EKWB D5 PWM pump is a little noisy at full throttle, but at 35% (~1875 RPM) it is totally silent and still circulates the entire volume of the loop in just a few seconds. Pump noise should never be a problem with a D5 as long as you get one with PWM control, same as fans, absolutely no reason to run them at 100% throttle pretty much ever. Loudest thing in my PC by miles is the 14 TB worth of mechanical hard drives for bulk storage, and they are only spinning about 5% of the time. My radiator is 420MM with 3x 140mm Noctua fans, case fans are 3x 140mm corsair fans, and both sets run at ~500 RPM and are also inaudible. The load temperature delta between 100% throttle on everything and normal silent settings is roughly 2C.

If you want silence, get a big radiator with big fans and run everything at fixed low RPMs. You can easily dump 400w worth of heat out of a radiator this size in total silence if you allow the coolant to run ~12-14C over ambient. It will yield roughly 50C GPU and 80C CPU temps when running respective power virus stress test loads (furmark and prime95 AVX at the same time).

This. Noise is tied to RPM. If you need high RPM to get your cooling performance, it'll be loud. Low RPM will be quiet. Add more radiators and add more fans running slower to make quieter. (To a point anyway, I'm sure there's a math function that shows where adding another fan adds more decibels than increasing fan RPM for equivalent cooling, but it's probably so ludicrous as to not be worth addressing.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nomyth posted:

Ah, I misspoke. By passively cooling CPU I mean completely taking the CPU out of the loop altogether and using a (mostly) passive cooler on it, and dedicating all the radiator space in a case to GPU.

No, we understand.

What is your use case where you think your GPU will be so hot as to need an entire case of radiator and your CPU will be so idle a passive system can cool it?

edit: And if your CPU is running so cool a passive system can handle it just fine, you may as well leave it in the loop for a cooler CPU, since it won't be having an appreciable effect on coolant temp compared to the GPU, which I can only assume is some shunt modded 600W monstrosity to actually prompt you to think an entire case of radiator is needed for it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

One of the big benefits of water cooling is the thermal mass to prevent your fans from ramping up and down constantly with load. Coolant takes time to heat up, so you can build a smoother, more gradual fan curve that might not even max out if the load ends before the coolant reaches the peak fan target temperature.

Xerophyte is right--I'd say the only reason to not include the CPU in your loop is if you don't want to pay for a water block for it and have a spare heatsink and fan laying around to use on it.

Seriously, if you have the money and aren't opposed to spending it on the block, just add the CPU to the loop. You'll have a better time than trying to figure out some way to passive cool a modern desktop CPU for no gains, or even a net loss in performance.

If you're dead set on staying in this well, at least watch this: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BoRp3SI2UKM

edit: this too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0RYFsb99OwI

Warmachine fucked around with this message at 23:33 on Dec 2, 2020

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Nomyth posted:

Okay, it looks like then what I really need to do is address the source of my brainworms: what's a good way to prove to myself that I can turn down the fans and pump on what I have in my current system? The problem here is that I ended up putting together a ridiculously obscure Alphacool 280mm AIO monstrosity riding on my 9900K and my motherboard happens to be an equally obscure terrible choice (Supermicro) and I when I built this system spring of 2019 I hadn't really even given much thought at all to noise control because I stopped caring after playing around trying to get the all-core OC stable

really, the whole system was a poor choice and I need to find a place to listen to what a properly controlled loop looks/sounds like

Your bios might have something to control fan speeds and set fan curves, but I don't know jack about SM's bios. (I know they do a lot of enterprise boards, and that's the end of it.) Even if your pump is DC, you might still be able to set a lower speed even if that speed is static. You can get away with extremely low pump speeds in small loops like AIOs. My own system runs at the minimum operating speed when not under load, and only ever goes up to ~45% under load, because I don't need 4500 RPM of DDC... ever. And it was similar when I didn't have PWM--set to just above minimum operating speed and forget it. I didn't get any significant issues and had a much quieter pump for the trouble.

First step is figuring out how to control your fans and pump speed though. If your board can't do that, slap past you for being a cheap rear end and then use the Christmas bonus to get a real motherboard. Also probably check your power supply. If past-you was buying cheapass supermicro boards with half a bios, god knows what kind of chewing gum and paperclips power supply is hooked to this thing.

(A fan controller is not worth it vs. getting a proper motherboard. If your mobo can't give you proper fan control features, there are probably more issues that aren't as obvious that you don't want to deal with. It's like buying a house--the problem you see is probably an indicator of problems you don't.)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

Jesus christ lining the inside of my tower with black acrylic might have been a bad idea. What's a good anti static wipe that actually repels dust, but doesn't use alcohol? All I can find on amazon are essentially normal wet wipes.

Clearcoat it with a matte or gloss lacquer and just use normal anti-static wipes.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

Well I'm not really running a "recommended" loop here in the first place: I've got a 3080 + 5600X cooled by just a pair of 120mm rads. The pump is this Chinese special integrated CPU waterblock / pump / "res" deal, and runs at ~4000RPM constantly since apparently putting in a variable speed pump was within their budget, but allowing that pump speed to be controlled intelligently was not, so instead they just have a rheostat on a pair of wires to control the speed. And if that wasn't bad enough, I shoved it all in a Evolv shift. Yes, the type with the glass panels. Oh, and I don't have a water-temp sensor, but in retrospect that might not be the worst thing given the temp differentials.

So, yeah. Not a whole lot of rad space, hilariously poor case airflow, a "res" that's like...10ml? There's basically no spare fluid beyond what's in the tubes/blocks/rads. Frankly I'm kinda surprised this thing works at all. It's a monument to "you were so preoccupied with whether you could, you didn't stop to think if you should." (but it looks baller and it works so gently caress it)

Doing it this way means that the water gets pretty hot, which means that those rads actually do a lot of good work, because the higher the delta between your water and ambient, the more heat they can dump out. So I'd bet that the delta-T of the water before vs after the two rads is considerably higher than what it is in a more properly specced setup. The rads are non-directional, FWIW, as is the GPU block, so there was no opportunity to screw that up. The only thing that's directional at all is the pump, naturally.

But no joke, I've been running a buttcoin miner to help test the thermal abilities of this thing (because I can control how much GPU wattage it's using, anywhere between 200-320W, and because I can run it for long enough to heat-soak everything fully while still dicking around doing other stuff), and going GPU -> CPU had that poor Zen3 around 80-85 sustained, and 90C+ if it actually needed to clock up and do anything CPU-wise. Now that it's CPU -> GPU it's closer to 70C sustained, with no other changes--no need to remove the block from the CPU, since all I needed to do was swap the input and output feeds, which had enough slack in the lines already that nothing needed to be removed/replaced, just unplugged from one and moved over about 3cm.

I'm sure 75C water was an exaggeration. It's probably closer to 55C, since the GPU loads at 65C and the CPU at 75C. But yes, shoving 300W of heat output immediately before the CPU was very definitely causing higher CPU temps. If you run a more "sane" configuration where the water never heats up all that much in the first place, it probably doesn't make all that much of a difference. But with this thing, there absolutely are hotter/colder portions of the loop.

Yeah, none of these numbers make sense to me. Are you actually running a coolant temperature sensor, or are you reading core temps out of HWinfo?

edit: except the part about you running a 3080 and 5600x on 240mm of radiator volume. I'm not surprised at all about high temperatures in general.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

As noted, I don't have a coolant thermometer. The GPU temp I'm getting from Afterburner and the CPU temp from Ryzen Master. Those are, as far as things go, pretty authoritative sources for what those bits of hardware are running at. Even if the absolute numbers are somehow off, the fact that they changed after swapping the tubes to re-order things (while doing literally nothing else) remains valid.

Water temp I'm guessing at judging by how hot it still was ~10 min after turning it off so I could rearrange the tubes, at which point I'd ballpark it at 45C or so. Considering no pumps were running during that time, an operating load temp in the low 50C range seems perfectly reasonable.

Do me a favor and do an OCCT power virus test on the CPU, GPU and CPU+GPU with your fans maxed at 100%, for 20 minutes each (or until TJmax is reached) with the max temps for CPU and GPU in each test recorded. Something still seems screwy here.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

DrDork posted:

Nope, I have a pair of 120mm rads. Specifically 120mm x 28mm, so they're on the thin side (otherwise only one fits). Behold my house of poor choices!

As far as "doing well," keeping a 320W GPU under 70C in a lovely case is already asking a fair amount from 240mm worth of rads. Throwing another 50-75W of CPU in there with a X570 chipset and some lights belching excess heat (why the hell are the UV lights that hot?) and I'm actually very pleasantly surprised.

I'll run the tests here in a few and get back to you two, but I'm not sure what you're looking for out of them: I'm pumping 300-400W of heat into a system with no effective res in a case well known for lovely airflow, and while 2x120 rads are keeping things below thermal limiting break points, they're obviously undersized for the task at hand (at least in the sense that everyone going into watercooling seems to obsess over keeping temps ultra low--this setup actually ends up being considerably quieter and cooler than the air setup beforehand, and they're no longer thermally limited, so in that sense the rads could be argued to be viably, if not optimally, sized for this).

It's mostly me being really curious as to why the CPU is reading so hot. But enough about that.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

You should have warmer water and hotter component temps, but the water should still be consistent anywhere in the loop.

Input and output on which component(s) got switched? CPU blocks tend to be sensitive to in/out, but that's an extreme difference for just that change.

Since they don't actually have a sensor on the fluid temp, we don't actually know that the fluid has a significant temp, only an anecdote that there was an observed temperature difference between the components, which we don't have reliable testing data for.

DrDork posted:

Input/Output for the CPU block / pump / res combo. Basically it's running backwards now. So before it was Res/Pump/CPU -> Rad -> Rad -> GPU -> Res/Pump/CPU, now it's Res/Pump/CPU <- Rad <- Rad <- GPU <- Res/Pump/CPU.

I think the high heat generation (~400W), low liquid volume, and low rad surface combines to exaggerate the impacts of ordering more than you'd see in a normal setup.

It's still just so improbable it defies belief, given how many controlled tests out there show that order doesn't matter (and flow rate has very minor impact outside of edge case low flow situations). Even your 'extreme' scenario is no more than you doing stupid things with an Eisbaer + Eiswolf pseudo-AIO, which I would never hypothesize these results for. But I'm obsessive enough about this that if I had your system I'd have already bought a coolant sensor and done those tests I recommended on both configurations because I wouldn't be able to sleep until I could explain the behavior :sweatdrop:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Got shipping confirmation from DHL on my water block. Gotta decide if I'm ballsy enough to go through with doing liquid metal on my 3080 FE or not.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

3080 FE block arrived. The machining marks are visible on the non-contact surfaces, but are mostly polished off the contact surfaces. I don't think they'll be a problem. Placed my order for the rest of the parts I need today, so I expect mid next week I should be able to put this thing together

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

That's the stuff of nightmares.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Why not extend the GPU > Res connection a bit and save yourself a fitting? Something in the way?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Well, Amazon originally predicted somewhere between Feb 23 and Mar 2 for my 20.5mm radiator to replace the 28mm radiator that won't fit. Uh...

:confuoot:

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Truga posted:

i don't have rigid piping, but for my lovely loop it's normal that i have to refill the tank a little bit (it's a tiny tank) after a week, and then after a month of operation, as all the air bubbles filter out.

after that it ran for 4 years with no maintenance outside of removing and dusting the air filters twice a year

seriously considering going back to air right now tho. seeing the benches of newest cpus and gpus on water is super whatever. otoh i have a radeon so i could install a spicy bios...

For me it is a noise thing and a challenge thing.

Spicy bios might be fun though.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Coredump posted:

I once had an almost silent build. But since then I’ve changed my mind from chasing silence to trying to change the nature of the sound to something I don’t mind. I like a regular fan in the background as some pleasant white noise. Just not coil whine or the sound of smaller fans.

Basically box fan with a car radiator is what I’m advocating for I guess.

Add plumbing to your office with G1/4" threads and put a heat exchanger somewhere else.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

I've tried to ignore that drat red wire, but I can't so went and brought some mesh cable wrap stuff.

This is why I bought heat shrink, paracord, and a set of pin removal tools when I ordered my last fittings and tubing. It doesn't look professional, but it also isn't a black, yellow, blue, and green wire running out of the back of my case. Funny enough, the pin removal tools are from the same company that makes your bootleg power brick.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Ak Gara posted:

dry location sue only
no-sfrviceable parts inside
for use withaudio video equifment
zone dangereuse
made in china

I'm sure it'll be fine!

Oh, yeah. I also wanted to add that my wrist brace I bought off Amazon had the same level of dodgy labeling on the package. I'd post a pic but I didn't save the packaging.

Theophany posted:

Iirc Phobya were a fairly big brand back when watercooling was way more niche than it is today.

gently caress yeah. :cool:

Look, I know I'm the wet blanket (:dadjoke:) in this thread, but I really hate the GAMER aesthetic in this hobby. Solid fluids make me wince, and while I can't deny that those hard lines look super clean, the idea of lighting the whole thing up in some kinda RGB disco rave makes my 31 year old white collar rear end cringe.

Then you have MSI's stupid dragon, ASUS RePuBlIc Of GaMeRs, and whatever that is... it just takes me back to my young adult edgelord days in a real bad way.

I replaced all my EK compression fittings with Alphacool because 1) they look more professionally aesthetic and 2) the knurling on the compression ring is easier to grab when you can only get two fingers in at a weird angle to tighten it.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

ilkhan posted:

I know. But I try to block that craziness out of my mind as much as possible.

Brown means it's better. Chromax is a pretender to the throne.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Alright, here's one: I want to get an Aquacomputer Quadro. There's limited stock on Aquacomputer's site, but it costs more than the cost of the controller to ship it to the United States.

Does anyone know a distributer in the U.S. that has them in stock, or know a way to get it across the ocean without paying twice the cost of the controller in shipping fees?

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I have a question about ram blocks. I'm seeing a lot that are billed as designed for Corsair Dominator modules. They seem to be the only ram brand called out by name like this. How strict is this? I've got Crucial Ballistix. Do I want to avoid those blocks or will they also work with my stuff?

Hard to know without knowing more about the blocks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

Right. Thanks. Most of these sites don't do a good job explaining these set-ups. Luckily there are quite a few to choose from, so I picked a "universal" style. And yes, I'm fully aware that ram waterblocks are totally unnecessary, but i'm all-in on this project.

I mean, how are the blocks designed? The two types of setup I've looked at are from alphacool and EK, and both are explicitly "replace the stock heat spreaders with ours, then clamp our block to them."

Something like that shouldn't care what brand you have since you're stripping the fancy branded part off before you do anything else.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

B-1.1.7 Bomber posted:

I agree with you; it's weird that a couple of manufacturers call out Corsair Dominator sticks by name, and only this brand. Maybe they have a different profile that require different spreaders? Like many other things involving computers, I don't have a loving clue, but will forge ahead.

I don't think I've worked with bare PCB memory in years, but as I recall underneath the heat spreader it's all pretty samey.

I know it looks like the Dominator sticks have convenient hex screws holding them together. Maybe the heat spreader is easier to remove? Can you link one of these block kits?