Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

CyberPingu posted:

So I'm going to embark on a custom loop setup using the Corsair 5000D

Any tips for a first time custom loop? Are the EK kits worth it at all as I'm a bit overwhelmed with all the bits needed

Specifically something like this

https://www.overclockers.co.uk/ek-water-blocks-ek-quantum-power-d-rgb-p360-high-performance-watercooling-kit-wc-9z1-ek.html

My only foray into water-cooling in the past has been with AIOs

Built a custom loop (no LED stuff, max performance, lowest noise possible) a month ago in a silentbase 802, can recommend the following stuff

CPU Cooler: Watercool HK IV (All Copper) (This or the TechN are just the best, made in germany too)
Radiators: Alphacool UT60 x2 (420+280) (very little flow resistance, low air resistance has 6 inlets plus another on the other side, super nice for bleeding and emptying, also nice for hiding temp sensor to have the cables out of sight)
Pump: D5 PWM integrated in the watertank from Watercool (HEATKILLER Tube, 150mm glas, all black) (cant hear it when i disconnect the PWM forcing the pump to run at full speed, i have it mount with two layers of rubber vibration dampeners)
Fans: Noctua Chromax NF-A14 PWM, expensive (6 fans 150€) but the best. No LED stuff though

Tubing: The 16/10 ZMT variant from Watercool with white fittings from Bykski --> Doesnt fit well, buy your fittings and Tubes from one vendor to be sure they match well. I also didnt use a single rotatable fitting cause i dont trust the o-rings in them

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 12:43 on Mar 6, 2021

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

movax posted:

18 AWG will be a tough crimp in those contacts for most families; even 20 can be pushing it for some (there are a few TE part numbers that work OK); I use Harwin M20s for most of my 100mil signaling wiring needs.

Just found the Quadro in stock, and went with a Watercool D5 pump. Stocking my cart at EK now with fittings (Quantum HDC) and some acrylic tubing. Since my case has no windows, I’m just going matte black for all the fittings with gold / nickel rings to do inlet vs outlet at a glance.

Now, just need a res — what’s the smallest one folks like to use with the biggest variety of brackets / options for mounting? Think I’ll place it right above the pump inlet.

Why no pump/res combo?

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Indiana_Krom posted:

It would do it, but I wouldn't expect particularly good performance out of it.

Compare the volume/surface area on the radiator to the volume/surface area of the conventional heat pipe coolers it would replace to get a proper perspective. Radiators aren't magically better than air coolers, the reason they usually perform better is because they can be absurdly gigantic and placed somewhere with more direct access to cold air without a loss of performance compared to their conventional heat sink / pipe counterparts since the heat is actively forced all the way through them by the pump.

The most important parameter you have when you watercool is the desired noise level. With fans going 2000rpm and a radiator with 16fpi or higher you can move alot of heat.

Imo in your case you should add a 2nd radi and turn the fans down to 700rpm or so

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Broken Machine posted:

There aren't many afaik, but there is the bolt by digital storm. I'm not sure exactly how they ran that, but it's all liquid cooled and custom runs, includes the gpu. They also had another as well, the spark but it never went to retail.

I'm looking for a basic 120mm aio that will fit in the silverstone sg13, so just one fan. Any thread suggestions? I'd prefer blingless so no rgb

Why even use a 120mm aio, a decent big enough CPU cooler should be better, cheaper and make less noise. If the cooler is a little to wide or so just cut it.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

saw the discussion way too late, a few questions:

Why not a D5 PWM as pump? With a good BIOS it is awesome
Why would you ever use rotatable fittings above a GPU or other valuable parts? Imo they are fine on the edges of the tower or in the lower third.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

movax posted:

I asked about it a bit earlier in the thread (I think); I do have an Aquacomputer OCTO so I could control it but it seemed like most people just didn't bother with / care about varying pump speed too much.

The fittings... well, I thought I needed them, but I could try it again with STCs sticking straight out of it. Is that bend up out of the water block to hit the rad doable without an adapter? I guess I do have the length to burn on it. I do have more adapters below to get the pump lined up and the res, but those are at the bottom of the loop.

Any thoughts on suspending a flow meter in a run of soft-tubing? It's either that or a rotary angled 45 holding it. Not sure I'll be able to get the QDC I want in there either, but I'm trying to get the entire front radiator + pump + res assembly to be one unit I can remove/install and easily split from the loop.

Is that bend up out of the water block to hit the rad doable without an adapter?
Cut a piece of hose and test it out, imo it should be doable.

Any thoughts on suspending a flow meter in a run of soft-tubing?
Is it possible to just attach it directly to the pump/rad with a small double male adapter or a 90 degree no rotary piece?

the entire front radiator + pump + res assembly to be one unit I can remove/install and easily split from the loop.
But why? when the loop is running, it is running. Every unnecessary connector kills the flow rate, just like using 25mm rads with only one layer of tubing.
Placing the outlet on the bottom and using one of the many holes from the top rad for letting air in.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

VelociBacon posted:

pump is at steady state 65% speed (I didn't appreciate any differences from 50% to 100% speed and it's audible over 70%), and the radiator fans spin up to keep max load coolant temps at 40C.

Set your D5 at max 35% and your fans to 600rpm or so. Should be plenty as long your components arent too restrictive

My D5 is set at 30% and my Noctua fans are at like 550rpm. I use a 420 and 280 UT60 with only 9fpi, so the low air flow works out ok. With furmark and prime running (~500W) the water gets very warm, but who cares if the CPU or GPU is at 60 or 65 or 70 degree.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Indiana_Krom posted:

Just a random thought here, but how deep into the housings do your fittings thread in? Is it possible the threads are actually bottoming out on something and causing it to restrict the flow? A D5 at full speed is ridiculously fast in my experience, it should draw down a reservoir that size in less than a second. Also if you have any quick connect fittings in the lines make sure they are actually properly mated, because they generally cut off the flow if they aren't completely locked together.

this. Also in my exp it is best practice to just connect the 12vcable to the D5, and not the 4 pin molex. Not all motherboards can even set it at real 100%, no clue whats up with that. (if you have the 4pin molex version)
e: NVM you have the 5 settings one

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 05:51 on May 15, 2022

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

SpartanIvy posted:

From my surface level engagement of the water cooling community it's that they can't afford them but spin it like they don't want to buy them in the first place.

EKWB makes mostly high quality and very nice looking hardware but its functionality is usually identical to competitors that are down to half the price for some things.

It's a premium option, for sure, and the have-nots get real mad about it existing.

When I put together my system with a mix of parts, the EKWB parts and fittings ~just worked~ which was nice. If I had to do it all again I'd probably go all in with EKWB.

Imo it is complicated, cause

-they dont really have the best blocks and are expensive
-not many radiators to choose from (no good low fpi stuff)
-if you use no rotatable fittings they really dont matter and i dont see the value in a quantum fitting for 8€ a piece

IMO if you are serious about watercooling it is really hard to buy only EK stuff

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

PoizenJam posted:

MOBO is still safe and NVME run just fine at the temps. The PCH seems to run hotter in this config though... About 82C.

just a small question: Is your NVMe ssd installed at the right slot? On modern Mobos the ssd has a direct link to the CPU and the PCH shouldnt really do anything (or you have lots of other stuff installed?)

edit: my chipset is at 60 at almost no airflow

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 18:47 on Jul 8, 2022

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Charles Leclerc posted:

I was with you until the no true scotsman poo poo at the end. You can take something seriously and not feel compelled to min/max if your needs are straightforward.

yeah agreed mate, i just saw the min max side. No hate against all EK setups ofc.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Nolgthorn posted:

My case offers two mounting positions for the radiator the right one there's a thing there that holds the side on. But there's not enough room on the left one either because of the components on the motherboard.

This is a nightmare. I feel like I'm in hell, who water-cools their system?

Got the same situation in my BeQuiet Silentbase 602, my 280mm top radi was crashing with the ram sticks, so i installed the MoBo upside down. Idk if this is common feature with towers or not.

Also you should cut out a few of the struts blocking your airflow. The many screws from the radi should be enough to keep the whole top intact.

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

VelociBacon posted:

That's absolutely not going to effect cooling performance.

Yeah, i guess it is overkill if you dont already do other cuts/mods on the rest of the tower. If you use reasonable fan RPM it shouldnt matter; in my project i drive them at minimum, reliable starting RPM and dont use a fine mesh on top, so it has more impact.

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 11:14 on Jul 27, 2022

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

VelociBacon posted:

If you haven't already swapped cases just unplug the power pin headers and put your reset button pins onto them.

To actually answer your question I'm pretty sure any d5 has the ability to provide that flow and plenty more.

Imo it really depends on the thickness ( = number of parallel channels 1 for slim, 2 for med, 3 for something like a UT60) of the rads. If you dont want that D5 to go full force you need decently thick rads imo. Considering this, you really need to consider potential rad overlap in the corners, also need to plan how to connect them cause that needs space too.

(in my Silentbase 802 i wanted to use a UT60 420 and a UT60 360, but the thickness made that impossible, so i went with a UT60 280. Still i had to use the angle grinder to fit the 420 cause I used the connector holes on the vertical side).
I printed the side picture of the tower on a A4 paper and drew the rads in scale on that. Vendor information on how many rads fit in a tower are pretty much worthless)

Or do the logical choice and repair the loving switch :D. Also no one needs that many rads. A 420 and 280 can cool 600W with the D5 at 35% and fan speed at like 650rpm, no controlling needed just use fixed values in bios.
"I know I'll be getting massive diminishing returns on something like this," --> actually you will have a louder system due to having the D5 running higher than 50% and using lots of fans for having 3 degree lower CPU and GPU temps. good trade lol :D

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 07:29 on Oct 14, 2022

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Desuwa posted:

alphacool MSI 4090 blocks

What the heck. Who needs QC anyway.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AutismVaccine
Feb 26, 2017

SPECIAL NEEDS
SQUAD

Solumin posted:

Can I get a sanity check on my new build?
My current PC has a custom loop, but I'm switching to AiO for the new one because it's less hassle to build and easier to maintain.

CPU: Intel Core i7-13700K + Deepcool LT520 (3x120 mm)
Graphics: Gigabyte AORUS XTREME WATERFORCE GeForce RTX 4080 (3x120, built-in AiO)
Case: Phanteks Enthoo EVOLV ATX Mid-Tower

The case can support 3x120 on top, 3x120 in front, and 1x120 (or 1x140) in back. I'm thinking of putting the graphics card in front with the fans set to intake, the CPU up top with fans set to exhaust, and the fan in rear as more exhaust.
Does that all make sense?

Front in. Top out. Checks out :D

Do u even need a fan at the rear?

AutismVaccine fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 11, 2023