Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

From the hard streets of Moscow
First dog to touch the stars

Plaster Town Cop

VulgarandStupid posted:

I saw the Linus water cooled room thing and another streamer who ran his radiator down to the basement, but it got me thinking. Why not just put the computers in a basement and then run thunderbolt and whatever else I/O you need up to the room you need it in? That way you pretty much just have monitors and hubs in your work space, and you can run the cheapest, loudest air cooling you want.

He ended up doing that at his actual house, I think. Rack of poo poo in a closet and thunderbolt out to the desks. I'm torn on it myself - I don't want to hear my system running, but if I did water cooling I'd absolutely want to be able to see it - not just to show it off, but to watch for leaks or other signs of problems.

I can't be too hard on him for the storage meltdown - he hosed up originally, realized it was a problem, built a proper server to copy it to - and was mid-replication to a properly configured system when it failed on him. No wait, I can be. "moved a server before it was completely backed up" and the ever-hilarious "installed a critical server in a construction site WITHOUT A UPS" are perfectly great reasons to point and laugh.

Of all the thread-relevant things he's done, I think my favorite was A) build an oil-immersion fishtank PC and then B) move it cross-town in a moving van without draining most of the oil into a drum. It developed fractures and they had to drain and repair it. :laugh:

E: Anyone seen the laminar flow hobbists? They use a water jet as a lightguide and it looks pretty good. Wondering if the water/plastic boundary could pull it off as well as water/air does. Obviously it can't go through any blocks, but you could do your two long-runs that way and have the actual tubes be glowing with full RGB control.

Harik fucked around with this message at 21:52 on Sep 9, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

Don Lapre posted:

Watercooling can be practically silent. Run lots of rad space and very slow fans.

I run a 480 and a 360 rad for an 980ti and an i7-4790k. Fans run at 300rpm during regular things. bumps to 700 or so during gaming.

What'd that setup run you? (Just the cooling portion) I'm trying to ballpark a reasonable budget for this.

VulgarandStupid posted:

So just don't do water cooling if you're gonna put it in another room. Once you do that, size and sound levels are no longer a concern, so run air because it's cheaper and probably more reliable.

Oh that's easy - because I've got three machines and I wouldn't mind keeping one out for show while I toss the others off somewhere to be neither seen nor heard. I mean, I could pay to throw near-silent air coolers on them all but that's just not as fun.

Harik fucked around with this message at 22:22 on Sep 9, 2016

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop
Anyone use external rads? I've got a fairly small office that gets heat-saturated fast while the rest of the house is cool and for super lovely reasons (HOA) I can't put in a windowshaker.

My thought was that my setup is right behind my livingroom wall, so I could put a rad into a permanent enclosure hidden behind my entertainment center. Insane? Would a pair of zero-spill connects make sense for something like that?
I've already got one conduit there for HDMI+USB so I can toss party games on my 4k TV without having a seperate system.

My current (bad) solution is opening the door, running a box fan and putting up a gate to keep curious tiny fingers attached to tiny hands. Alternatives include putting in a vent booster to keep air circulating - and those are basically custom jobs already. Pricey and noisy. Or a mini-split, which start in the $750 range, sound like the cheap poo poo they are, and do basically the same thing I was thinking of WRT plumbing only larger, louder, more expensive and requiring a licensed HVAC guy to install and invite insects directly into my office.

E: I should mention that I've consolidated all my computers into two - one NAS homed in the wiring closet and one threadripper with GPUs for every virtualized box I used to run separately. It also means I'd have to watercool AMD GPUs or quadros because nVidia has been super lovely lately about detecting virtualization and blocking it. It feels weird thinking about converting a stack of RX580s to water in 2019.

E2: not thinking about water for my 580s anymore, there's no used waterblocks on the market and new ones for a 580 go for more than the 580s themselves. Figured people would be dumping their old gear but there's $150/gpu cost no matter how old the GPU.

Harik fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jun 21, 2019

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

GRINDCORE MEGGIDO posted:

Why not just put the computer in the other room?

Because while I can hide a small box with a few fans and rads behind the entertainment center, I can't put an entire fullsize case there and my wife would murder me for trying.

originalnickname posted:

I'm thinking of making the jump to Ryzen this time. Does anyone have any suggestions for good AM4 CPU blocks? I've been predominantly using EKWB currently, but their shipping to Canada costs almost as much as the waterblocks themselves..

EDIT:
So.. I do, but it's more of an external AIO box. I was one of the suckers who bought one of those Koolance ERM's.

This one: https://koolance.com/erm-2k3ucu-liquid-cooling-system-copper

Right now I've got the unit out in my garage on a shelf up off the ground. I opened up my office wall and added quick release connectors for my office loop, and I'm running both of the computers on water cooled by the ERM as it's apparently supposed to dissipate 2000 watts of heat.

I'm using https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B0033CE8T6/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o02_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 to connect the behind the wall stuff to my heat dump, and regular watercooling tubing and connectors for the visible stuff. That amazon tubing uses the same rubber that EK uses for their Z class tubing or whatever.

Then, to make up for extra head pressure required for such a long loop, I had to upgrade the pump to a D600 which can put out (apparently) 20psi while still sluggishly moving water around the loop.

Advice:

Don't do what I did.

Build a nice in-case watercooling solution (if at all) and buy the minisplit. That way your whole room is nice and cool.

Aside from "wow look how cool my CPU and GPU are" in the winter time since my garage hovers around 5C and a completely silent office with no fan noise, there's literally no benefit to what I'm doing as it was stupid expensive and still requires a lot of work.. like when I have to flush my system. Also, this loving ERM is loud as poo poo and that's why it's in the garage.

This was a silly "can I do this" project when I should have been asking "should I do this". Learn from my expensive, time consuming mistake :P

That seems like crazy overkill, how long is the total loop that you need a separate boost pump? Running two systems on one combined loop is also asking for trouble.

In comparison, I'd be adding about 24-36 inches to the loop length since it's against the wall and I'd be mounting the rads on the opposite side of the wall, and running the fans off the case 12v because it's only a foot away so no voltage drop. People packing 4 rads in a massive case would have longer total loops than I'm thinking of doing.

Maybe I'm misunderstanding what you did and it's closer to what I was thinking of. Definitely don't want to split thermal domains, going under ambient means condensation inside my case, yikes.

Indiana_Krom posted:

I'm going to second the mini-split, I have a high end fujitsu unit that I had installed several years ago and it is worth every penny. It is virtually silent, does heating and cooling, is more efficient than central air even and doesn't clog up a window.
Fair enough. How much did it cost you overall?

E: Grindcore, I could do it if I built her a nicer entertainment center that just happened to hide my computer. That might cost more than a mini-split though!

Harik
Sep 9, 2001

Plaster Town Cop

originalnickname posted:

Total loop is ~40 feet or so + the pressure drop required from the waterblocks. I didn't use a boost pump, I basically retrofitted a bigger pump into the ERM chassis because I didn't want to have to run seperate 24V wires and this pump vibrates quite a bit at high output and wanted all the noise in one spot.

Regarding the condensation, I live in a *very* dry area and my house can't seem to stay above 15% humidity over the winter time despite a ton of effort on my part. That being said, I definitely check my cases very very very often for any condensation during the colder months.

Keep in mind I did mention that I know my "solution" is both dumb and completely overkill, but you did ask if anyone's run a remote rad and I am doing so right now. This thread doesn't move too quickly so I figured I'd chime in with lessons learned.

Why do you think that running 2 systems on a loop is asking for trouble? Datacenters that are watercooled do this all the time.

Honestly man, just because you cool your GPU and your CPU and dump the heat into a seperate radiator outside, it won't mitigate the other heat coming from the motherboard, the power supply, the monitors, the speakers, you, and whatever else you've got going on in that office. The minisplit is the answer you're looking for I promise.

No that's cool, I just meant yours reminded me of a slightly downsized version of linus whole-house watercooling loop - especially the multiple computers bit.
Multi-system is a pain because either you're driving them in series so one starts with the thermal load of the previous one, or in parallel and trying to balance how much cooling each gets. Not impossible, and as you pointed out datacenters are designed that way, but not a simple build either.

Sounds like our overall environments are pretty different too - you're never going to have to worry about condensation and I live in a barely habitable swamp.

All that said, you're still right with the bolded bit. Energy is energy, it doesn't care what work it does and some will be remaining in the office even if I'm dumping next door.