Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Partial Octopus posted:

Oh drat I underestimated how much I needed. I am doing cpu+gpu in the loop. The most I can fit in my case is a 240 up top and a 360 up front. Will it be super loud with that config?

Hmm, I have an overclocked 4790k and a 1080ti on the same loop and my rads consist of a single 120 in front and a 240 up top. I am using Corsair PWM fans. The noise is barely a problem for me under heavy load and the temps are well under control. EK waterblocks and Alphacool rads. I don't think you will have an issue.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Don Lapre posted:

Built a custom loop for a guy a year ago. His GPU is dead so having me swap it out. Dual loop, massive radiators, tons of fluid so it takes forever to drain.

Well there is algae in the loops.

Hes gonna end up paying me $500-$700 to tear down, clean all his blocks, clean his rads, clean his tubes, refill, etc...

Dont do watercooling unless you are filthy rich or can do it yourself.

I will never recommend water cooling to someone that doesn't want to learn about it, know how to assemble/work on it, etc. That being said, it sounds like a lack of distilled water and a biological additive was not used? You should not have algae problems in a build and that 100% sucks to deal with. My closest issue to that would be Mayhems coolant that leeched white 'chaulk' and required a tear down.

My rig cost a forture when I built it but I've had little issues with maintenance except for a single rebuild. On the flip side, I save tons of money NOT upgrading my machine because I hate tearing it down. Saving money by spending money! :D

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
Watercooling is extremely expensive due to it being extremely niche.

Just look at the steps required to make a quality block:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JErOpYAx_Zs

Freaking insane amount of time and resources.

The fittings in my build are creeping up on the cost of my 9900k and motherboard. It's pretty though! :D

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
I am very confused here.

I have an overclocked 9900K (to the limit) and an overclocked 1080ti in a 15L case with a 240 and 120mm radiator setup. It is absolutely silent unless I am thrashing in a game for 10+ minutes.

It can be done.

I have shared the journey in this thread:

https://www.evernote.com/shard/s19/sh/a7c7cc5b-e45d-40c7-8624-f53653094531/91fca24be5007f8dc53fcbe2fa9c53a1
https://www.evernote.com/shard/s19/sh/a8bccd8b-7346-40c1-905c-fb9384bb8a4c/b78e3dcee8db1d870a9a81e5864ee59f

It took me a while to tweak my config (Noctua NF-A12x25 everywhere, fan curves, delid, etc).... but I was trying to achieve a silent but overclocked machine. My final statement was:

"Core Max of 87C after 560sec of Cinebench R20.  Oscillations aren't too bad, temps stay within a boundary of 83-86C all cores loaded @ 4.9"

which I find incredible. :)

[EDIT] forgot to add, I did quite a bit of research on radiators for my setup with cost:performance research... I landed on HWLabs rads for my setup: https://www.evernote.com/shard/s19/sh/60370b27-7c5c-45b2-b09a-b2a86e9abfa3/6395f7ef707c42e7e8ecf9f74a93c108

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Cloner of the Elks posted:

My first ever attempt at this.

Holy. poo poo.

Fantastic first ever attempt!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Collateral Damage posted:

Brave going hardline for your first build. Good job!

Yeah. This.

I am a big pussy and went soft tubing. It still sucked.
I can’t imagine hardline to start!

That being said, I want to go hardline. It is far more resilient to decay over time and takes up less space...but I need to buy fittings again. I could have bought a used car instead of these Bitspower purchases. 😓

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

skylined! posted:

So I reconfigured my loop this past week, just finishing tonight, because I got a 3080 FE to swap into it. I tossed the FE in the case on air while waiting for a waterblock and segregated the loop to the processor only. Idle temps dropped to almost ambient (about 21C) and under load didn't really get above 50C. CPU is a 9900k at stock currently.

Since adding the GPU back in the loop, idle temps are around 45C on the CPU and 30C on the GPU in a 19C room. Can't really figure out why; does the 3080 really add that much heat energy to a loop?!

I am running two of this big bastards with a G1 distro plate for the o11 XL and included pump. My fans aren't great (LL120s) and several aren't working because my commander pro is a piece of poo poo and waiting on an RMA, but.. still. This is a wild temp swing. Anyone have any ideas?

Edit so right after posting this an air bubble pushed through and idle temps on the CPU dropped to like 24-34C lol, man this poo poo is so unnecessarily stressful I am going to bed.

Here have a picture for reading this dumb post. Working on custom cables tomorrow then closing back up.

Jeez. That looks fantastic. I can't comment on the temps but just wanted to say that I admire your build.

The freaking 3080FE block is SO AWESOME! Small, great looks, back distro block... oh baby.

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

skylined! posted:

Ya the FE blocks in general look great; I am enjoying the port placement on these blocks. I like the EK block a lot too but didn't want to wait and also pay twice as much for it (this is the bitspower block in the picture).

For real, that's killer.

I was unable to find any 3080 for sale (like everyone else), and tried to get a 3070. That wasn't going well for me so I landed on a 2080ti for same price... and... IT IS A MASSIVE BEAST THAT I CANNOT EVEN FIT IN MY CASE due to the waterblock being so drat big :(

The 3080 block setup is so nice. I am jelly. :P

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

skylined! posted:

I basically gave up until I got a notification for Best Buy from a chrome extension I forgot I installed. Because of how Best Buy handles sales (seems to be regionally) I was able to get the FE before it sold out. Bought on Tuesday and picked up Sunday! I think the extension was popcart or something.

drat that is incredible.

I 'settled' for a 3080 I found from a redditor with a Bitspower block preinstalled. Works great.

I lust after a 3080FE but... I have a 3080 and I should just be happy. :)

DrDork posted:

PSA: today I hooked up my EK 3080 FE super sweet looking waterblock only to have it leak all over the place from the frame. Upon further investigation it looks like several of the bolts that hold the metal plate to the acrylic window were not tightened down sufficiently. So if you end up getting your hands on one, I highly recommend giving them all a good twist before you do anything else with it.

Wow. That's a terrible feeling.

I've cracked Acrylic too many times and the -drip drip- sucks!

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender
The only thing that matters is taking note of jet plates on blocks, such as a CPU block. Water should be IN to the jet plate and OUT of the other port. These are usually labeled.

Otherwise you aren't going to see a difference.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RnPB_q51iVk

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

Warmachine posted:

Alright, I've put together and taken apart this loop about 4 times now, and I keep running into the same annoyance: It's really hard to fit the locking ring over the compression fittings, get it to catch the thread, and then get it tight enough on the fitting.

Most of this seems to come down to the rubber of the EK ZMT just grabbing at the ring. Is there a good way to make these easier to turn? I've tried soaking the ends of the tubing in water but that doesn't seem to help much.

Heat up a mug of water, stick tube in that water for a couple minutes... should help to get the threads to catch.

I use Bitspower fittings and after changing tubes on my build I am unable to feel things with my fingers for a few days. Brutal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

jink
May 8, 2002

Drop it like it's Hot.
Taco Defender

namlosh posted:

Another maybe dumb question:
Do people reuse the component parts of AIO’s? Like I’m sure that people would say it’s a bad idea, but why? At the very least, the radiator and fans could be reused right?
2 reasons I’m curious:
1) buying all the components separately seems way more expensive, even factoring in stuff like not being able to reuse AIO blocks and water pumps.
2) if I understand correctly, AIOs have a life expectancy of like 6 years or so due to permeability? Throwing it out at that point seems wasteful as all hell

You can reuse the fans but the other components are purposely disposable to increase sales. Profits, baby. [EDIT]: If the pump continues working and there is fluid in an AIO there is no reason to stop using it if it has compatible mounts. However, fluid changes are normally destructive, rarely accessible fill/drain ports.

The point of spending more money on components is being able to reuse the majority (blocks are outliers). It's a steep jump but this is an extremely niche market and quality is very high from most companies (I am a Bitspower fan).