Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005
CLIENT REQUESTED ELECTRONIC FUNDING RECEIPT (FUNDS NOW)
I have two machines with the cooler master AIO units in them. They're probably unacceptably loud if you're not deaf. One of the pumps died after about two years of constant use, but cooler master sent me a newer model in its place.

I bought them mostly because the pump has a lower profile, it is easier to work around, and is generally convenient. I know that I could have gotten something cheaper that would do the job, but I'm too much of a stupid american to realize this apparently.

It also humors me to have a computer with a radiator, because it is completely unnecessary for something that sits in my house.

Elsewhere, I've seen electronics being cooled with distilled water, as it is less conductive. I really don't know much about the topic, but I figured there was distilled water or some other non-conductive liquid in those AIO units, is that not the case?

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 14:13 on Aug 15, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Don Lapre posted:

AIO units often have an ethylene glycol mixture because they use aluminum radiators and copper coldplates which will corrode each other. Saves them money.

That makes sense, I don't think I'd pay that much for an AIO cooler with compatible metals anyways.

I understand the dislike of them too. Unless you've already spent a bunch of money (like > $1500 maybe), water cooling isn't necessary for a desktop computer. AIO units kind of defeat the purpose of installing a water cooling system as a fun engineering challenge / hobby. The ones I bought were old stock, I think I paid ~$60 for them. I saw that the new models go for $100 which is ridiculous afaik.

Deuce posted:

Distilled water is the go-to choice for custom cooling because it is readily available at the grocery store for a dollar per gallon. However, it should not be considered to be "non-conductive." Straight out of the bottle, its conductivity will be very low, but it will pick up ions from the metal in your loop over time, and become conductive.

"Non-conductive" labeled fluids will be much more expensive, and run into the same issue. Over time, they become conductive.

Basically, just go with distilled water and a biocide.

Yeah, the system in reference drew power on the order of megawatts, and had accompanying units that would deionize the water, monitor the conductivity, and break for no apparent reason, terrifying all of us. I figured distilled water was cheap enough to put in those things, but I forgot that it would just get ionized without any way to fix it.

dougdrums
Feb 25, 2005

Prescription Combs posted:

I ran an overclocked 2500k with one of these many years ago and it kept things cooler than a 212 at max load. :shrug:

Yeah one of mine is on an overclocked piledriver. I have no idea how hot it gets but I've kept it fully loaded with xop nonsense for days without it going over 70C. Not so sure I could do that with a stock cooler. Either way the machine was designed to be beat on for cheap, which it does well.

It is one of these: http://www.coolermaster.com/cooling/cpu-liquid-cooler/seidon-120v/

They claim the radiator is 27mm deep.

dougdrums fucked around with this message at 23:53 on Aug 15, 2016