Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EverySingleSoldier
Aug 17, 2016

Greetings gentlemen,

It's great to see the war waging on in the valley :)

I will be watching this unfold and will be happy to field any questions as well as take suggestions for improvement .......

Every Single Soldier

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oh wow, that's unexpected!

I bought the game because the local wargames thread liked it as an antidote to all the long complicated wargames, so I grabbed it when it was on sale in February. I really can't think of much I'd like changed, it works really well as a quick game to relax, there's not much time tied up in it so it doesn't feel bad if you lose.

Mr Koolkevz666 there has just agreed to direct me in a high difficulty game with elite enemy and political defeat on, so do you have any advice on how to do well on a higher difficulty?

EverySingleSoldier
Aug 17, 2016

I do , but will rather watch and learn :)

We are actually very close to the Beta for the Sequel : Afghanistan'11.

We have taken all the lessons learnt in V65 and added a whole lot more depth, like National Elections, bigger 3D maps, revamped supply mechanics, infrastructure improvements etc etc, you can have a look at
https://www.everysinglesoldier.com

Good luck in the valley, I will be following closely, its the best way to learn and visualize actual user delight/issues .....

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
I'll take map number one please Jaguars already got some ideas forming to deal with that map. Also can engineers be transported by helicopter or do I have to drive them out to where I want them?

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Aug 17, 2016

lenoon
Jan 7, 2010

We could visualise user issues by pretending that the wind whistling through the jungle canopy is going "OSX on steaaaaaammmm".

Looking forward to this, it's always good to see the usual suspects line up for another go at commanding interesting games.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
SHOOT ME IN THE GODDAMNED FACE
WHAT ARE YOU WAITING FOR?!
I'm confirming that I want to use Map 2! Also no guarantees that I won't end up using a Pokemon themed naming scheme for my bases and units in the near future.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Engineer units are considered a ground vehicle like armor, they are not air mobile.

Time to move into our first orders phase. If you can get something out by about Friday midday, EST, I can work on it during the weekend.

Your first phase will be five turns long. By that time your troops will be about half way through their first patrol, assuming a turn or two to deploy them.

Orders can be in any format that you like, and as detailed as you like, I'll do my best to point out mechanical errors before I play the games. At the minimum I would need:
  • Overall idea of how you plan to play your map
  • Disposition of your troops (Aggressive, cautious, mobile, etc etc)
  • Planned purchases - remember that it gets more expensive to get multiple units of the same type - check the friendly forces brief for details.
  • Base locations (Approximate or exact)
  • Some idea of where you want to deploy your troops

Further advice:
This map shows a couple of things:

First, the Bold black lines show the sight range of various units. Compare Green Berets to normal infantry, bases and vehicles.
Second, the lines I've drawn on show how much ground the helicopters cover. The green ones show how far a Huey can go in clear weather over two turns, the blue one shows a chinook. Foul weather reduces range by a quarter.

Looking back, most of the games I have played divide into two broad strategies:
  • Elite air cavalry - probably the most powerful strat in my experience, use green berets for early recon and helicopter mobility to get your infantry patrols to the far west villages early while the enemy is still weak. Establish a firebase out West and base some helicopters out of it along with 3-5 infantry units and artillery, maybe a secondary FOB. Meanwhile, a smaller force patrols the east side, perhaps using ARVN troops with a stronger unit to do the big fights. Chinooks and Green Berets are good buys.
  • Ground game a.k.a the Red alert 1 turret line - get an extra engineer, establish FOBs and roads in the east, train lots of ARVN troops. Green Berets wander the west calling in airstrikes. You still need to push fighting units to the West before the game is halfway through. Tanks are good for cheap firepower back east. Try and establish FOBs manned by 2-3 ARVN or GIs that can keep a couple of nearby villages under constant surveillance. This strat often gets you lots of PP but it can be tough to keep the overall H & M score high. Space your FOBs so that vehicles can move from one to the other without depleting their supplies.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 07:17 on Aug 19, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Good morning gentlemen with the AO decided upon its time for me to reveal the deployment plan for the Garden of Ho Chi Minh, remember all details are to be kept secret so the VC don't learn about them.

So first we will be playing the area with the intention of moving between each village to increase our Hearts and Minds score, initially we will be using our infantry and green berets until we get some FOBs going and get those boys from the ARVN to help out. Now then our Helicopters are our number one asset here, we will use them to ferry troops between the more distant villages and for responding to any VC contacts if needed. Hopefully I won't mess up and have them run out of fuel. Hopefully.

Anyway moving on my troops will be moving aggressively and mobile to keep our scouting up and to visit those villages as often as possible the helos should be able to resupply anyone out in the field as required.

For our planned purchases the only unit I want to acquire is an Engineer unit asap. We need these boys to get our bases up and running, I also need to watch on the points being spend thanks to those uppity politicians back home. Like to see them out here in the field instead of cracking off complaints in their fancy homes.

For deployments I want you gentlemen to observe the following diagram and explanation. Afterwards any comments will be heard and commented on. That is all gentlemen.

A. Point A is where the engineer will either be deploying to or driving out to depending on how this new fangled purchase system works. Once at point A the engineer will build a Firebase in an acceptable area that is away from the villages.

B. Point B is where one of the Hueys will transport our single Green Beret team out to, they will keep an eye out for any VC, while the Huey returns to base for refuel.

C. Point C is where one unit of our infantry will be flown out to using the other Huey, deploying the infantry near to the village before the Huey returns to base for refuel. The infantry will visit the village of Gong Oluk before moving to visit the other nearby village to their west.

D. Point D is where our remaining infantry team shall head to, moving to visit the village there using the APC to speed up travelling time.

E. Point E is where the artillery and armour will deploy keeping the base secure and being ready to move out as needed.

Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, thank you.

koolkevz666 fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Aug 18, 2016

Tevery Best
Oct 11, 2013

Hewlo Furriend
Green Berets cannot visit villages, if I am not mistaken. As in, they can enter villages, but not raise flags or increase support in them.

radintorov
Feb 18, 2011

Tevery Best posted:

Green Berets cannot visit villages, if I am not mistaken. As in, they can enter villages, but not raise flags or increase support in them.
I can confirm that: only regular marines and ARNV troops can interact with villages.
I might have gotten this game a couple of days ago and played a lot of it. :v:

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Thank you for the information I have made a slight adjustment to the plan, going to use them as forward scouts instead.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Good plan, clear and sensible.:ocelot:
  • All US units start at the main base. I can build the firebase one hex SW of the junction near Gong Oluk (The exclusion zone around villages is three hexes wide.) Depending on weather and enemy activity, the base might not get built until early next phase. Remember, bases don't have defenses on their own so one so far out in the boonies will need either a garrison unit or to have the area around it well patrolled. I should be able to helicopter the artillery in shortly after it's built if you want.
  • I might have to drop the Green Berets a little short of the village because there will be a thunderstorm following the overcast weather, but that won't affect things much. They'll have lots of supply even at the end of the phase, do you want me to move them round a bit?
  • I can send the Infantry at D to Plei Gi and then march back down the road to meet the APC and resupply, shall I do something like that?
  • You'll have 15,000PP after purchasing the engineers. Operating costs will probably amount to a couple of hundred so you'll still have a good store of them by the end of the phase. You'll be in a good place to build more units or FOBs next phase or toward the end of this phase if you want.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 22:21 on Aug 18, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

Good plan, clear and sensible.:ocelot:
  • All US units start at the main base. I can build the firebase one hex SW of the junction near Gong Oluk (The exclusion zone around villages is three hexes wide.) Depending on weather and enemy activity, the base might not get built until early next phase. Remember, bases don't have defenses on their own so one so far out in the boonies will need either a garrison unit or to have the area around it well patrolled. I should be able to helicopter the artillery in shortly after it's built if you want.
  • I might have to drop the Green Berets a little short of the village because there will be a thunderstorm following the overcast weather, but that won't affect things much. They'll have lots of supply even at the end of the phase, do you want me to move them round a bit?
  • I can send the Infantry at D to Plei Gi and then march back down the road to meet the APC and resupply, shall I do something like that?
  • You'll have 15,000PP after purchasing the engineers. Operating costs will probably amount to a couple of hundred so you'll still have a good store of them by the end of the phase. You'll be in a good place to build more units or FOBs next phase or toward the end of this phase if you want.

That sounds excellent for the firebase location and I like your idea with the infantry at point D. If I may can you add a unit of infantry to my purchases this phase and once the base is built or nearly built have it flown out to it as a Garrison. Also having the Green Berets on a roving patrol sounds like a great idea thank you.

uPen
Jan 25, 2010

Zu Rodina!
I don't think engineers are air-mobile so that's probably a couple turns of walking, enough time for some minefields to go up. :getin:

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Oh, I somehow edited that out by accident! Engineers aren't airmobile. Mines are fine for engineers, they just clear them and you get a bonus from the nearby village, ambushes are the big worry for them. They are surprisingly tough though, sometimes the VC attacks them and you're thinking :derp: but then they win the battle! You still want to avoid them getting caught in combat if possible though.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Maybe you're weighing the moral pros and cons but let me assure you that OH MY GOD
Goooooood morning, Vietnam! Or, uh, well, Phaic Tan Valley, Vietnam!

Nice place, isn't it? I think the locals said something about a flood a few hundred years ago taking out a lot of the jungle. It's much clearer than some of the other areas in II Corps' AO. Anyhow, we're here, and it's our job to win the Hearts and Minds of the people here and make sure they don't fall under the sway of Uncle Ho.

AO LITTLEROOT is right up by the border with Cambodia and Laos, and we expect the NVA to patrol the heaviest there, along with the VC. Therefore, we will patrol heavily there too, including setting up our secondary supply depot in that location. AO PALLET is right in our front yard, and we can probably expect VC to show their faces there as well. That's the secondary priority. AO NEW BARK is kind of out of the way; both us and the VC probably won't use it much, and any NVA operations there would likely be hampered by the river. Further, there's not a whole lot of places to land there. We'll still patrol there, but it's at the bottom of the list. Eventually we'll hopefully get a road going at least into AO PALLET to the planned FOB there, but that's for later.

We want to be aggressive and mobile in our patrols here, ladies and gentlemen. While I disagree with the good General's take on what will win this war, he's basically got my *ahem* in a vise when it comes to reinforcements--I want live bodies, I need to show him dead ones.

Speaking of reinforcements, I got on the phone with our airbase with a request for new blood. I want:

x1 Green Berets (4000 PP)
x1 Infantry (1000 PP)
x1 Huey (2500 PP)
x1 Engineers (4000 PP)

That brings our numbers up to:

1 "Pidgey", 2 "Hoothoot", 3 "Taillow", 4 "Starly" Squadrons (Huey--unevolved flying type Pokemon)
1st "Sandshrew", 2nd "Diglett" Engineers (ground-type Pokemon)
Alpha "Absol", Bravo "Umbreon" Coy Green Berets (dark type Pokemon)
Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta Coy (Infantry, no designation)
1st Battery (Howitzer, no designation)
1000 PP remaining

Current desired deployment is as follows.
AO LITTLEROOT: 1 Green Beret, 2 Infantry, 1 Engineers building Firebase. Counting squares Measuring distance, each infantry should be able to visit 2 villages before needing resupply
AO PALLET: 1 Green Beret, 1 Infantry, Engineers building FOB,
AO NEW BARK: 1 Infantry

I think that's about it; anything else I need to add?

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 05:37 on Aug 19, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Looking pretty good. Your North FOB needs to go up one, it's too close to Plei Gi. For 200 PP, I could clear some jungle and put it one hex closer to Plei Ngo.

Speaking of PP, your budget is pretty tight due to operating costs (basically 1PP per hex that you move) If you get a lucky early kill, the engineers will be able to build the center FOB on the way to the firebase, otherwise, the best course will be to beeline the firebase and backtrack.

Speaking of roads, I don't think I talked much about them. They are free to build, but building one ends the engineers' turn, so building a long road takes time. Also important is that you can only build road next to existing roads, villages or bases, you can't just start them in the middle of nowhere. Standard infantry moves three hexes instead of two on a road, The other vehicles and Green Berets also get a bonus, although I can't remember offhand how much extra they get. Jungle needs to be cleared before you can lay a road, roads can go over rivers.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Jaguars! posted:

Looking pretty good. Your North FOB needs to go up one, it's too close to Plei Gi. For 200 PP, I could clear some jungle and put it one hex closer to Plei Ngo.

Speaking of PP, your budget is pretty tight due to operating costs (basically 1PP per hex that you move) If you get a lucky early kill, the engineers will be able to build the center FOB on the way to the firebase, otherwise, the best course will be to beeline the firebase and backtrack.

Speaking of roads, I don't think I talked much about them. They are free to build, but building one ends the engineers' turn, so building a long road takes time. Also important is that you can only build road next to existing roads, villages or bases, you can't just start them in the middle of nowhere. Standard infantry moves three hexes instead of two on a road, The other vehicles and Green Berets also get a bonus, although I can't remember offhand how much extra they get. Jungle needs to be cleared before you can lay a road, roads can go over rivers.

Clearing the space might be best, especially since I was planning on building that space last. And I was planning on building the Firebase first before backtracking--that's why the Firebase is labeled "1st Pri." and the FOB is "2nd Pri."

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No problem. It's more of an opportunity that might arise than a problem that will stop anything happening.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Right, I picked one randomly for myself and got map 3.

For myself, I'm going to try a very Infantry-centric approach. Triangles are FOBs, I'm going to lay one down close to my base and start training ARVN immediately. The star is the Firebase, which I'll try get done after the first two FOBs. The starting infantry will go long and head back inward.

Apart from winning the game, I've given myself two extra goals -Track down as many Trailheads as I can, and to see what happens if you get to Zulu company and then buy another unit...

To find the trailheads, I'll want several Green Beret Units because I want to not only locate the VC, but also see which routes they tend to use. Another Engineer will also be a must, and to get these, I need to try and keep unit costs down. I'll also need to cut lots of LZs across the river.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Does tracking down the trailheads give you any mechanical (instead of intelligence) benefit? Can you shut them down by parking a unit on them, or attacking them?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

No, it's just a way of cutting the offensive off at the source. If you manage to track down more than one or two, you're doing pretty well.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Well, I've played all three games that I've got orders for so far. Some small wins, some small loses, everyone's largely on track. Should be able to write up the last one and do the update tomorrow.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Day 1

Engineers beeline for the proposed FOB locations.

Private Jeff Linus: "The guys in the brigade were alright, but some of them could be pretty, well, intense. The transport guys with their choppers, they named them all after these Japanese owls or something, they painted these big cartoon birds on them. We used to joke that they spent all their leave creating new birds while the rest of us hit the bars or chased girls. The special forces guys, the engineers, they were all the same." Delta Coy gets a quick lift into AO New Bank.

The Air Cav depart, although forces heading for AO Pallet start out on foot.

Day 2

Starly Squadron doubles back to give foxtrot a quick airlift.

Absol Company hits the ground first and secures the ground the infantry uses to approach. Bravo Company lands just south of the Green Berets and searches the village of Thanh An. +3 H & M in Thanh An. Meanwhile Delta reaches Plei Ngo. +1 H & M in Plei Ngo

Day 3

Listening patrols near the main base detect VC movement during the night! The gunners get a sweat on as they break up the VC formations at close range, the might of the support weapons at the main base a brought to bear. 1 Battery +1 Combat Strength, +3 H & M in Plei Pan Lan, +1000PP.

Charlie Coy searches the village of Do Chi, but things are still peaceful in this area. +3 H & M in Do Chi

Starly Squadron drops off Fox Coy near the village of Phu Nhon and overnights at the new helipad that Diglett Troop has just bulldozed. Foxtrot patrols through the village and head out for Plei Wau to the East. +1 H & M in Phu Nhon

Day 4

Tailow will be running on reserves, but they'll have just enough fuel to get back.

First objective accomplished, the CO of Diglett troop thinks ahead and decides that improved access to the nearby villages will help the infantry.

"Contact Contact, Wait out!" Charlie Coy has been heading SW toward Tomg Mo when the VC surprise them with a night attack. Sgt Dave Fernades: "I was just off sentry, laying around because it was too close to dawn to get a decent sleep, when there was a bang and dozens of voices yelling and screaming on the far side of the platoon harbor. Heaps of machine gun fire, they were coming closer, you could hear our guys calling and firing. The distant thump of a mortar firing and one voice yelling above the rest and they were leaving. Mortars started landing in our camp the moment that they left so we couldn't chase them even if we wanted to. We lost a squad and a half that day, life was real difficult for a while because everyone had to do the extra sentry and treat and carry the wounded guys."

Day 5

The NVA disappears into the darkness, but the nearby Absol Coy has heard the distress call and pursues the NVA unit. They track the unit to a camp and guide the Air Force in to a perfect strike. +1 H&M in Tomg Mo, +1000PP Knowing that the NVA is in the area, they begin a sweep for mines but luckily none are found.

Sandshrew Troop arrives in the key inter AO area and starts the earthworks for a second FOB.

During the night Absol force detects another VC cadre, possibly heading toward the village of Tomg Mo.

Dawn, Day 6. In the meantime, Bravo has patrolled south, but is now heading NE to meet the supply helicopter. Foxtrot company needs to reach the FOB by the end of next turn (I.e. they have two moves to do it in, which is no problem.) The FOB will supply them at the rate of one point each turn. Delta up north has just been resupplied, There is another supply helicopter heading out to Charlie, It could also be a medevac. Umbrol has been doing general reconnaissance in the area SW of the base. Taillow Sq is freshly refueled and could be sent anywhere (including resupply of foxtrot) or continue on general resup duties. You have 681PP.

Your past contacts: VC are the red and blue pins, NVA are the red and yellow.

Day 1

1st Battalion has been busy in camp. now they're ready to move out.

The engineers move first, setting up an FOB. Green Beret companies Alpha and Echo move in and begin mustering locals immediately.

Bravo, Charlie and Delta companies head out in their helicopters.

Elements of a second battalion are close behind, and Foxtrot company boards their APCs to head for the nearest village.

Day 2

Delta company is the first to become true Air Cavalry, touching down just short of their destination.

They search the village. +1 local H&M. Specialist Bryce Martin: "We were about to leave when this bamboo mat shifted underfoot. Underneath it were some hastily hidden papers. I couldn't read the Vietnamese, so I passed them up to my commander. Later that night I was clearing a sleeping bay near the company HQ when they told me to get over to the radio. They gave their situation report and then gave me the handset. The colonel was on the phone and said "Son, those papers were movement orders for the village VC squad to muster down south and hit the next village down. Well done, we're real pleased with your work, and we'll get them good for ya."

A hastily organised strike tries to hit the muster point at the RSVP time, but the air controllers can't positively identify it. They hit what they think is a bunker but the VC are actually hidden up a few hundred meters away. The VC scatter. The nearest village is annoyed because the bomb crater blocks one of their tracks. -1 local H & M.

Foxtrot Company hastens for the affected village.

The engineers head for a clearing in the jungle which will become the next FOB.

By the end of day 2 the troops are about halfway to deploying.

Day 3

Golf company arrives at the main base. The march for the FOB.

Charlie company lands to the south and negotiates grassland with scattered clusters of trees.

On the was back though, disaster strikes. RPGs and machine gun fire lance out of the jungle and hit two choppers. The VC have been busy! -1 local H&M

3rd Squadron makes it back safely and fuel and maintenance prep them for next day's flight.

A second FOB goes up.

Delta has been ordered to head south to try and sight further infiltrators. Late in the day, there is an explosion. Mines! The rest of the day is spent in a miasma of fear and confusion as the company extricates itself from the minefield. Several more casualties are taken. -3 local H&M.

Fox still haven't made the village.

Bravo Coy lands up north at the limit of the helos' endurance. Their mission is to check the village and then clear the highway back toward base.

The first ARVN have mustered successfully. Hotel Company head to toward the jungle to increase the area under surveillance.

Day 4

India Company completes muster and heads out on patrol. The FOB is now running at capacity and can't support any more ARVN troops.

As Bravo approaches their first objective, traffic on the road dwindles to nothing. Refugees are spotted in trees near the road. When approached, they explain that the VC have been demanding allegiance from the village. The village is approached in combat formation, but only a few civilians are found. +3 local H & M.

As the surrounds are cleared, VC break cover and run. Bravo fires and hits a few. The tracks of the survivors are easy to follow and that evening, 2nd Platoon makes a devastating attack as the VC are trying to pack up their camp.+4 local H&M

Charlie reaches their destination and finds little of suspicion. +1 local H&M. They decide to conduct a sweep of the local area for mines.

Delta is picked up by the beleaguered 2nd Squadron. A bit dangerous this, as a single ambush will wipe out both units, but the VC haven't enough forces in the area to set another ambush.

3 squadron sets out with supplies to keep Bravo Coy in the field.

1st Mechanized tops up Golf Company and spends the night in the FOB. Fuel stocks in the FOB top them up to about the level they started the day with.

Golf pushes out into the deep jungle, hoping to sweep south and clear any ambushes before the main effort.

Foxtrot reaches Pleiku, but no-one is saying anything. Perhaps the VC in the area have returned home.+3 Local H&M.

Day 5

Fox continues and sets an ambush for any follow on attackers.

Golf sweeps to the river.

Both ARVN companies are now providing early warning to the base area.

Low on fuel, the other two heli squadrons return. The red fuel can indicates that they have now fuel and must get to a base by the end of the turn.

Bravo company now has a battle honor. +1 Combat Strength

Charlie makes their way back. Hopefully they don't get rumbled because they'll be a long way from any possible LZ.

Echo Company heads North to train more ARVN at the new FOB. Alpha company marches South to begin reconnaissance patrol.

Harboured near a well used track, terrified Charlie Coy members hear voices all through the night as a VC group passes near by them. As the day dawns, groups of men can still be heard moving through the trees as Charlie HQ decides what to do...

Red map pins indicate sightings of the VC.

Day 1

1st Engineers make a start on their journey toward the firebase. As the engineers prepare to laager up for the night, The CO recognizes the key importance of this bottleneck and on his own initiative orders a couple of Rome Plows off their trailers to clear jungle in the few hours of light left.

Charlie company, the Green Berets, heads directly west.

GIs of Alpha company are destined for the NW part of the valley.

Meanwhile, Bravo sweats and bumps along in their APCs.

Day 2

Charlie Coy approaches their destination.

Alpha company arrives at Gong Oluck. +1 H&M in Gong Oluck.

The APCs cover the river crossing of Bravo Company and the 1st engineers before returning for supplies. Bravo finds little of suspicion at Hlu Klah. +1 H&M at Hlu Klah

Day 3

The VC are waiting at Charlie's LZ! They hit a couple of choppers on the ground before running. -3 H&M in Gao Holan. Charlie Coy's captain decides that the ambush is isolated locals and that if they seperate from the area as fast as possible, their recon mission will not be compromised. The remains of 1 squadron run for base.

Meanwhile, Bravo Coy push on to Plei Gi, accompanied by the engineers.

Day 4

With reports of active enemy, Alpha Coy decides on a cautious approach to Thanh An, checking likely routes for mines.

1st Mechanized is heading for Bravo Coy with Resupply. Haute Cuisine it's not, but the troops will be glad enough of a hot meal when they meet the APCs.

Bravo has reached Plei Gi and are ready to go fetch their supplies. +1 H&M at Plei Gi

1st Squadron has almost made it back home.

In the night, several Green Beret observation posts detect movement. Charlie HQ alerts get passed to the airbase at Qui Nohn and strikes are readied. In the morning a platoon passes close to one and the Badges identify it as a NVA regular unit.

But a cyclone has moved in during the latter part of the night and the Green Berets are frustrated as the strikes abort due to weather.

Rather miserable in their ponchos, Alpha company nevertheless talks to the locals at Thanh An, but gets nothing but some vague hostility. The villagers are happy that not violence has come with the Americans today. +1 H&M at Thanh An.

Division intelligence has been triangulating radio signals and collating reports from further north and their daily brief makes for grim reading, it seems like every day brings news of hostile forces entering the area.

Day 5

2 Squadron is ready for the long trip to resupply Alpha company.

The Green Berets won't be able to do much about the NVA, now reported in company strength. They move north instead, while keeping the NVA under surveillance.

Bravo makes the mistake of assuming that the hard part of the patrol is over and several mine strikes cause casualties and affect morale.

Out of the minefield, they harbor for the night and as darkness falls, VC sappers are spotted heading for the road to plant more mines. Two squads are hastily pushed forward and gun down the hapless VC in the road +1 Combat strength

A green beret OP is kept awake all night by ominous rumbling and squealing tracks as a platoon of NVA light tanks arrives! As dawn arrives the tanks are dispersed to hide from american aerial recon.

Dawn, Day 6:

It's an NVA offensive! you can expect at least another couple of NVA infantry units in the general area. An NVA base is also known to be somewhere in the area, and that is not popular with the powers that be!

While the Americans have taken casualties in the area, you have at least detected two potential areas of VC activity. Looks like you got the guys who laid the mines, so the area will be safe for now, but there's a lot of VC about and they could be back in a couple of turns. Alpha needs to head back this turn to make their rendezvous with the supply helicopter. The weather is also partially on your side at the moment, the next turn will be raining, slowing the NVA to one or two hexes of movement, before clearing up to allow airstrikes. Don't panic about your Green Berets, they can't be see by the enemy and will only be engaged if they are directly in the path of the enemy movement.

You have 11,169PP.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 12:52 on Aug 22, 2016

Grey Hunter
Oct 17, 2007

Hero of the soviet union.
Accidental destroyer of planets
Well, That went well.

'Nam always makes for some bloody encounters!

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

I'm kind of amazed things are pretty in hand on my game. Charlie Company getting hit by what I think was the NVA (instead of the VC--they hit them and then ran for the map edge rather than hitting them and disappearing) is a downer, but the map has exactly one VC unit on it--and we know where it is!

Also GODDAMMIT WESTMORELAND, WHAT THE HELL WAS THAT ABOUT THE VC NOT WANTING A STRAIGHT FIGHT?! THEY SET UP IN OUR FRONT YARD!

Was it ever mentioned how far VC cadres and/or NVA units can move on their turn? It probably won't change the calculus on the VC in sight (since there's storms coming up ahead, might as well use the air strike now!) but it might help narrow down where the VC that crossed right by our main base came from.

Also, Private Linus, be lucky that I didn't ask the infantry companies to do Pokemon names! (Seriously, though, I wanted to change the names because having Green Berets, Infantry, and ARVN units all use NATO Phonetic Alphabet seems like it could lead to confusion when there's a bunch of them running around. Same with the Hueys to distinguish them from the Chinooks and Cobras which I hope to get the PP for soon. Pokemon names happen to be semi-random while also categorization-friendly.)

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 21:35 on Aug 22, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Kev has a tough campaign in front of him. The VC will be swarming everywhere! He needs to destroy the NVA forces, but also needs to create some safe areas where he can keep the peace without fighting just to get to the villages.

E: ^^^ NVA seem to move the same as an american infantry company, I think NVA armor is probably the same as a american mechanized unit. Not sure about the VC, but two to three hexes a turn. It's good having less generic units, I've renamed all the villages on mine to make things less generic, so that'll appear next time.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 21:28 on Aug 22, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Ouch that is a lot more contacts than I was first expecting, okay time to get to work on countering this threat. Below is my plan for the next turn, also Jaguars thanks for the little things like having my engineers not waste their moves by removing jungle and such.

A) The engineers orders are cancelled at this point and its new orders are to build the firebase at the current location asap. It is too dangerous to run the unit forward with that many NVA contacts to the west.

B) Talking about contacts, Alpha company is to withdraw from the area towards the engineers and future firebase's location and if they get there alive and with spare actions they are to set up in ambush a tile or so to the west of the base on or near the road.

C) Green Berets are to avoid any and all combat action and are to scout the area highlighted with the dotted lines for the NVA base as long as they won't go too low on supplies. If they don't go too low then they are to search and if they find the enemy base are to call down an air strike on it asap. If they do go too low they are to move west avoiding enemy units and await resupply by Huey.

D) Bravo company is to fall back to the main base to recover their wounded and be brought back to full strength.

E) The armour unit in the main base is to head for the to be built firebase's location at full speed, it can if possible engage contacts on the way but I would prefer if it got to the firebase first.

Additional orders: Any damaged Hueys are to repair back at the main base and if undamage or when repaired they are to focus on resupplying American units in the field with priority on units that are lowest in supply.

Purchases: Jaguars if you could buy me a unit of infantry and a unit of Green Berets that would be good thanks but only if it won't take me below 7500 PP thank you.

Oh and please rename all the villages to any fast food item like hamburger, fries, milkshake, cola etc etc no preference as long as there are no repeats for village names.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Gooood morning, Phaic Tan Valley! How's your day today?

We got a letter from someone at home base today. It says "Hey, General Valkri, what the devil was with that sudden barrage of artillery three days ago, It sent my staff into a panic, sincerely, Gen. Westmoreland." Well, sir, it seems like we got a lead on a couple of NVA rally points, including one that APPEARS TO BE JUST TO THE NORTH OF OUR BASE. Now what are the odds of that, sir!

Our friends in Absol Company have got an eye on another VC group, and have plotted out where they likely came from based on where they're going and the fact that they haven't gone somewhere else (read: they haven't gone for Pleiku or Thanh An). And our howitzer friends have figured that the VC they blew up at close range have to come from somewhere, and marked potential areas to search.

That said, things are going relatively okay so far. We just need to make a few quick changes for the next week.

Charlie is clear to medevac. Once they're back at base and refitted back to full strength, see if they can't pop north for a turn or two and catch the VC napping before heading back to AO LITTLEROOT.

Umbreon, you're running low on supply and in the middle of the jungle, and we have a tropical storm moving in that will reduce our ability to keep you in supply. I think that's as good a reason as any to make for the FOB just made by Sandshrew and, while you're waiting for a full resupply by air, train up an ARVN company, callsign BULBASAUR (they'll be grass-type Pokemon to avoid using NATO names).

Also if our PP gets up to around 2500, request another infantry company.

Davin Valkri fucked around with this message at 03:41 on Aug 23, 2016

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

koolkevz666 posted:

Ouch that is a lot more contacts than I was first expecting, okay time to get to work on countering this threat. Below is my plan for the next turn, also Jaguars thanks for the little things like having my engineers not waste their moves by removing jungle and such.

A) The engineers orders are cancelled at this point and its new orders are to build the firebase at the current location asap. It is too dangerous to run the unit forward with that many NVA contacts to the west.

B) Talking about contacts, Alpha company is to withdraw from the area towards the engineers and future firebase's location and if they get there alive and with spare actions they are to set up in ambush a tile or so to the west of the base on or near the road.

C) Green Berets are to avoid any and all combat action and are to scout the area highlighted with the dotted lines for the NVA base as long as they won't go too low on supplies. If they don't go too low then they are to search and if they find the enemy base are to call down an air strike on it asap. If they do go too low they are to move west avoiding enemy units and await resupply by Huey.

D) Bravo company is to fall back to the main base to recover their wounded and be brought back to full strength.

E) The armour unit in the main base is to head for the to be built firebase's location at full speed, it can if possible engage contacts on the way but I would prefer if it got to the firebase first.

Additional orders: Any damaged Hueys are to repair back at the main base and if undamage or when repaired they are to focus on resupplying American units in the field with priority on units that are lowest in supply.

Purchases: Jaguars if you could buy me a unit of infantry and a unit of Green Berets that would be good thanks but only if it won't take me below 7500 PP thank you.

Oh and please rename all the villages to any fast food item like hamburger, fries, milkshake, cola etc etc no preference as long as there are no repeats for village names.

What do you want to do with your engineers after the firebase? They could:
  • Build roads to Plei Ya Po or Gong Oluck
  • Complete the road back to the main base
  • Clear an LZ in the green stuff (200PP)
  • Refuel the APC to enable a long range ground patrol
  • Patrol the roads for mines

GB and Infantry will cost 5000PP total. I can get you the Green Berets which will put you at 7169PP, send them on patrol and get the infantry after you've managed to airstrike some NVA and earn some points. I could buy an infantry unit straight away but you're a little bit limited by your transport. We should be able to get them to Duc Co or Hlu Klah on foot though.

Davin, I think I can make all that work, so you should be good to go.

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

What do you want to do with your engineers after the firebase? They could:
  • Build roads to Plei Ya Po or Gong Oluck
  • Complete the road back to the main base
  • Clear an LZ in the green stuff (200PP)
  • Refuel the APC to enable a long range ground patrol
  • Patrol the roads for mines

GB and Infantry will cost 5000PP total. I can get you the Green Berets which will put you at 7169PP, send them on patrol and get the infantry after you've managed to airstrike some NVA and earn some points. I could buy an infantry unit straight away but you're a little bit limited by your transport. We should be able to get them to Duc Co or Hlu Klah on foot though.

Davin, I think I can make all that work, so you should be good to go.

Ah yes sorry, after a rethink I would like to cancel the purchase of the Green Berets and only buy the infantry and send them along the river to the west visiting the villages along that route as for the engineers please have them patrol for mines for now. Don't want to catch any more surprises.

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think I'll send the new infantry to check out Duc Co, resupply them with the APC and then move north toward the firebase. Hopefully that will flush out some VC ambushes near your main supply route or find another VC area. If you have a successful turn, I might be able to

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015

Jaguars! posted:

I think I'll send the new infantry to check out Duc Co, resupply them with the APC and then move north toward the firebase. Hopefully that will flush out some VC ambushes near your main supply route or find another VC area. If you have a successful turn, I might be able to

That sounds good thanks

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Only time to process one game this week as I'm away for the most of the weekend. Will complete the others sometime early next week. For now, Davin's Brigade gets stuck in.

Day 1

Bravo and Charlie Companies prepare LZs for helicopter resupply and medevac.

The VC spotted near Tomg Mo are dispatched with an airstike. +5 H&M in Tomg Mo, 1000PP

Low on supplies, Foxtrot heads to the FOB to reorganize. The engineers continue to create roads to the villages.

Day 2

Pidgey Squadron came loaded with supplies and since Charlie will be back at the camps soon, the CO decides to extend the Green Berets time in the field before evacuating Charlie. Bravo Coy hits Thanh An +1 H&M

Delta Company Reaches Plei Ngo where the village administrator informs them of a group of VC camping not too far from the next village over. Plei Ngo +1 H&M, +1000PP, Plei Gi +5 H&M

Day 3

Foxtrot Coy Reaches Plei Wau while Diglett Troop complete the route from the FOB. +1 H&M in Plei Wau

Taillow Squadron delivers rations to Sandshrew Troop so that they can build the firebase.

Day 4

Pidgey Squadron is low on fuel, but can get back by going from base to base, scrounging up fuel supplies.

Sandshrew arrives at the objective and begins bulldozing up berms, helipads and storage bunkers for a new base, much larger than the ones built so far.

Rain has been impeding Delta's progress and they already need resupply.

On starvation rations, Umbreon Coy arrives at the central FOB and begins inprocessing ARVN soldiers.

Diglett Troop continues carving roads. Fox Coy can use them to march three hexes in a turn, even in bad weather.

During the night, patrols from Absol Coy detect VC in transit.

At the new firebase, the engineers are stretched thinly trying to keep the large perimeter secure. NVA sappers take advantage of this and damage several vehicles with satchel charges!

Day 5

In the morning, Bravo Company are ordered to make haste toward the firebase to prevent the NVA from repeating their coup. They spot VC moving across a valley, but it's too far to cover and so they guide a pair of fighter-bombers to a successful strike. +5 H&M in Thanh An, +1000PP

The engineers, realizing that they need a full roster to maintain all the sentry posts, request that new 113s are flown in from outside the AO. By the end of the day, they are at least able to man all the sentry posts if each man takes a 4 hour shift. (Engineers repair themselves, cost 200PP.)

Ever busy Hoothoot Squadron repsupplies the east FOB. Both Diglett Troop and Foxtrot Coy recieve a full ration of rations.

Golf Coy has arrived and marches north to investigate the source of the VC infiltrators last week.

As night falls, a patrol from Absol Coy up north tracks the VC cadre from last night. Another patrol radios in signs of a NVA platoon in the same area. But that's only the beginning for this night. 1 Platoon, Bravo Company, forced by nightfall to harbor up less than a kilometer from the new base, and the engineers manning the south perimeter of the base, both hear consistent movement and voices in the dark. The base stands to for three hours, but there are no attempts to penetrate the perimeter. In the small hours, suddenly mortar fire and flares come from the north. The base is mortared for an hour. Toward the end of the bombardment, machine guns start firing from positions northwest of the base and as the mortars lift, NVA regulars overrun the bunkers on the north side of the base. They only retreat when a flamethrower M113 from Coy HQ drives north, flaming more-or-less randomly.

As the NVA retreat, a green and pink flares are fired in quick succession. Several RPGs fire from the far side of the base! Three 113s are hit and another is riddled by an HMG. The VC have set up a coordinated ambush with the NVA! The already battered Sandshrew troop has taken 60% casualties and lost most of it's vehicles in just a few days. Transport helicopters from 1st Cavalry's division HQ at An Khe evacuate the survivors, who are eventually reassigned to other engineering companies. The leftover vehicles are parked up to form part of the fortifications of the base. Sandshrew Troop is no more. -3 H&M in Tomg Mo

Day 6

I accidentally played this turn, largely due to the spectacular attack that the North Vietnamese pulled off. Therefore, the next phase for this game will only be four turns long to get things back in sync with the others.

As reports filter down, Absol's CO has to triage the situation. The meticulously tracked VC will have to be abandoned to do what they will, in an attempt to prevent the Firebase coming under yet another assault.

Mid-morning they find the offending NVA company as it goes to ground away from the firebase. More death rains from above. Meanwhile, Bravo company relieves the survivors from Sandshrew troop. While others work to get the base back in order, a platoon spends the rest of the day slashing cover and setting up listening posts, entanglements, claymore mines and trip flares to force potential attackers into ambush ready killing grounds.

Unaware on any but the sketchiest facts and an increase in medevac traffic, Delta Coy approaches the village of Plei Gi.

Finally, Charlie Coy has arrived home to rest and reorganize. They'll be ready to go next turn.

Hoothoot Squadron plans to deploy out of the firebase for the near future.

Fox Coy approaches Plei Pan Lan.

Golf Coy lies in wait for the VC. They'll be ready when the bad guys appear.

Situation at the end of turn 11.

Perhaps that VC cadre is heading to Tomg Mo? You got a nice clear track on it, it was heading SW. Lots of activity in the firebase area too.

You know the location of one NVA unit,but where is the other?

You have 2,904PP. Provincial H&M is 52.

------

Kev, here's your new names and supply status for your units.

Jaguars! fucked around with this message at 14:03 on Aug 25, 2016

koolkevz666
Aug 22, 2015
Crap. Alpha and Bravo are very low on supplies much lower than I thought. Is there any chance of using the helicopters on getting supplies out to them before them disband?

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

1 Mechanized is on it's way to deliver to Bravo, and a Huey squadron en route to Alpha. Bravo is in little danger and if the Hueys get hit or something, I'll paradrop emergency supplies for a cost of 500PP. Alpha will be on zero supplies by the time the helicopters reach it, but that's OK, as long as they get some by the end of the turn.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Have fun on your weekend trip, Jaguars! In the meantime, I'll be writing up letters of condolence for Sandshrew Troop and stabbing an effigy of Westmoreland in painful places. "Not willing to stand up and fight" my--

I also have to plan, right. But I'll do that after I stab my Westmoreland doll. How's this for a "set piece battle" you--!

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

I think that it's largely coincidence that the VC and NVA attacked during the same turn, but it was the most devastating attack I've ever seen the AI do. What happened was:
  • VC move in and set up an ambush
  • NVA attacks and damages Sandshrew troop
  • Since during the fighting the engineers have 'moved' within range of the Ambush, the ambush is tripped and successfully attacks the damaged unit, destroying it.

If the NVA hadn't attacked, the Ambush would have remained until morning and Bravo company could have dispatched it before the engineers moved.

Davin Valkri
Apr 8, 2011

Out of curiosity, is there an easy way to sort VC or NVA contacts by turn? I imagine it's easier if you're playing the game directly, but just looking at the maps, it looks easy to misread where they're going. For example, the northwestern most VC contact in my game could be interpreted as going SW or NE without a turn counter or direction attached.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jaguars!
Jul 31, 2012

Yeah, in game, you just see them marching in whichever direction they're going. The one you mentioned is going SW. The one up north that Delta got intelligence about was heading SE, almost certainly en route to Plei Gi. Also check the map with the "enemies" tab active, it shows contacts from the last few turns with an orange map pin. When you're playing in high resolution, it even gives you a little symbol indicating the type of contact!

I'll try and record where they are coming from and also annotating the end of update maps with recent contact dates, shouldn't be too much extra work since I already note the supply status.

Note that the contact maps will become very crowded toward the end of the game, so keep tabs on those maps as you go.

Played both games last night, will try do mine tonight and Kev's tomorrow.

• Locked thread