Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

LuciferMorningstar posted:

R is actually really good and there is documentation absolutely everywhere for it. What are you trying to do?

troll, poorly

:69snypa:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
R is good and its used because lowly grad students cant shell out the 100,000$ for 1 copy of SAS. I migt be able to gelp you with your R troubles PM me.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

R is really good I'm going to second you install rstudio though I didn't for awhile and now regret all the time I resisted using it.

If you haven't already you should check out the ggplot2 package for statistical graphics it takes a little more syntax to get what you want but when you figure it out its way better than base graphics.

The biggest problem with r I have is that you're always trying to get factors into a numeric class and I don't understand why I can't just call them numeric without calling them character first

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah
my dick r very big

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

root beer posted:

my dick r very big

analyze that statistic :frogc00l:

root beer
Nov 13, 2005

milkman dad posted:

R is really good I'm going to second you install rstudio though I didn't for awhile and now regret all the time I resisted using it.

If you haven't already you should check out the ggplot2 package for statistical graphics it takes a little more syntax to get what you want but when you figure it out its way better than base graphics.

The biggest problem with r I have is that you're always trying to get factors into a numeric class and I don't understand why I can't just call them numeric without calling them character first

All of this is true and goddammit get rstudio right now. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good GUI that lets you input your data like a spreadsheet (I could never get JGR to loving work, thanks Java) so all you can do is suck it up and do it the normal pain-in-the-rear end way, but at least do it with rstudio.

Have you looked at places like Cookbook for R? It's been pretty helpful for me for the basics, I've been able to make templates for myself so most of the work is already done. There are some decent guides for ggplot2 as well.

Fat-Lip-Sum-41.mp3
Nov 15, 2003
my wife does statistical analysis in R and it works for her. git gud maybe

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Mange Mite posted:

what is matlab even for

it seems awful at everything

Modeling PID loops?

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.

Titus Sardonicus posted:

All of this is true and goddammit get rstudio right now. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good GUI that lets you input your data like a spreadsheet (I could never get JGR to loving work, thanks Java) so all you can do is suck it up and do it the normal pain-in-the-rear end way, but at least do it with rstudio.

Have you looked at places like Cookbook for R? It's been pretty helpful for me for the basics, I've been able to make templates for myself so most of the work is already done. There are some decent guides for ggplot2 as well.

if you have data you can most efficiently enter manually, why not just put it in a spreadsheet and import to R?

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Statistica is underrated imo, it has great output organisation and formatting options. Spss is the default, but is actually pretty bad. R is for when your employer hires you to do statistical work but refuses to pay for a stats package, which is all the time so it's worth learning I guess.

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
I just wish I could have more than two separate Y-axis in Excel.

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

While we're talking about R has anyone every compiled a binary or something out of R? I would like to make widgets but don't want them all jacked up.

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

milkman dad posted:

While we're talking about R has anyone every compiled a binary or something out of R? I would like to make widgets but don't want them all jacked up.

i don't know what you're trying to do but it sounds like you should make a webapp with python

lazorexplosion
Mar 19, 2016

Maybe in a 'it's the worst statistics package apart from all the others' sort of sense but otherwise :frogout:

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

R is now integrated in SQL Server 2016 which is super great because we upgraded already

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

I use R every day for work, and it's amazing.
However, I use python for some things as well (mostly visualization).

Try some of the simpler stuff in python to mix things up (also it's quicker).

I need to learn SQL for work. Anyone got some sick resources?

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

William Stoner posted:

I use R every day for work, and it's amazing.
However, I use python for some things as well (mostly visualization).

Try some of the simpler stuff in python to mix things up (also it's quicker).

I need to learn SQL for work. Anyone got some sick resources?

you can learn sql in an hour. actually less.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

unless you're a baboon, that is. then you'll need 2 hours

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

R or NumPy are the best ways to stat.

Mange Mite posted:

what is matlab even for

it seems awful at everything

Modeling ghost boners underneath orange sheets

Commie Lasorda
May 15, 2009

IT'S CLOBBERIN' TIME!

Celluloid Sam posted:

my middle and last name both start with R

JRR Tokin'

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Piso Mojado posted:

unless you're a baboon, that is. then you'll need 2 hours

am a baboon

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
R has a really nice ide but all I'm doing so far is copying text out of a math book so far

honestly statistics seems more hosed than anything R could do, in general

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

I'm sorry.

clam the FUCK down
Dec 20, 2013

Acne Rain posted:

R has a really nice ide but all I'm doing so far is copying text out of a math book so far

honestly statistics seems more hosed than anything R could do, in general

stats is literally just knowing the right equation and display to get your argument across or call bullshit on someone else.
90% of my stats side of my job is just referencing which test to use then plugging in some stuff to R.

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

William Stoner posted:

stats is literally just knowing the right equation and display to get your argument across or call bullshit on someone else.
90% of my stats side of my job is just referencing which test to use then plugging in some stuff to R.

just sounds like you got a lovely job to me

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
yeah, but that's not usually how you think with math
and there's actually two different kinds of stats, frequentist and bayesian, and they come from different ways of thinking about what probability and they result in completely different formulas and approaches

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

How do I get good at R? Like, is there a step by step guide to getting good at this poo poo, as somebody starting from zero?

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Vegetable posted:

How do I get good at R? Like, is there a step by step guide to getting good at this poo poo, as somebody starting from zero?

coursera has some decent classes

Moon Atari
Dec 26, 2010

Which statistics software package looks like poo poo, has an unintuitive interface and hidden settings that deviate from best practice stats? Trick question, the answer is all of them.

Alec Bald Snatch
Sep 12, 2012

by exmarx
this thread was created as a nerd honeypot

A Stupid Baby
Dec 31, 2002

lip up fatty
i don't like statistics or math and i think they should both go away

sudonim
Oct 6, 2005

A Stupid Baby posted:

i don't like statistics or math and i think they should both go away

Never before have I seen such a perfect username / post combo.

Hogge Wild
Aug 21, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
Pillbug

Celluloid Sam posted:

my middle and last name both start with R

Bob Reginald Rectum?

School Nickname
Apr 23, 2010

*fffffff-fffaaaaaaarrrtt*
:ussr:
Yeah R is great as a statistical package and loving amazing to work with datasets, but it takes a bit of getting used to. Rstudio is loving required. I'm mostly self-taught in R so did the initial Coursera module in R to get a certificate. There's a hefty difficulty spike in it though. I've seen a lot of economists switch to programming to make their models, Italians in particular with agent-based modelling.

The guys who become experts in visualisation must rake in the dosh because the poo poo I see them do is amazing.

root beer posted:

analyze that statistic :frogc00l:

>rootbeer_dicksize<quantile(sa_dicksizes)[2]
25%
TRUE

School Nickname fucked around with this message at 11:59 on Aug 12, 2016

Orange DeviI
Nov 9, 2011

by Hand Knit

Pick posted:

I'm just curious if R is the worst program for statistics ever invented by a human being, or if somehow, somewhere out there, there is some sort of program which is in some way shittier than R. if so, please let me know, so I can feel better about the situation where R is a thing I have to use. thank you all so kindly.

spss

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

I really don't see what's wrong with just using the calculator windows provides?

Whooping Crabs
Apr 13, 2010

Sorry for the derail but I fuckin love me some racoons
Use tableu or prism if you are a retard like me

Whooping Crabs fucked around with this message at 13:18 on Aug 12, 2016

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

Saint Isaias Boner posted:

as bad as spss is, pspp is an order of magnitude worse as should be expected i guess

good point. I forgot about pspp because it's so bad. lol.

FlimFlam Imam
Mar 1, 2007

Standing on a hill in my mountain of dreams
Real men use SAS and revel in a nice clean & lean 12 GB Sas Foundation install :negative:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ArmedZombie
Jun 6, 2004

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cp0Yhlhoovg

• Locked thread