Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

FlimFlam Imam posted:

Real men use SAS and revel in a nice clean & lean 12 GB Sas Foundation install :negative:

:barf:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

comes along bort posted:

this thread was created as a nerd honeypot

I'm pretty amazed by how many people I don't normally see who came out for this one

But not as shocked at soneone.... Offering to help!? With R!? Are dragons real too??? Unicorns????? This changes everything

GRILLARY CLINTON
Mar 5, 2016

I know the devil is real.
I know the devil is real.

FlimFlam Imam posted:

Real men use SAS and revel in a nice clean & lean 12 GB Sas Foundation install :negative:

lol

Cyril Sneer
Aug 8, 2004

Life would be simple in the forest except for Cyril Sneer. And his life would be simple except for The Raccoons.
I just want to come along here and say I legit like MATLAB.

Mulaney Power Move
Dec 30, 2004

i use sas

autoaim.cfg
Aug 6, 2005
:qq: WHINY SHITHEAD :qq:
*drops mic*

tsa posted:

watching social scientists try and do statistics is like watching a gorilla trying to invent flight.

This is true. Unfortunately the masters came with obligatory courses in statistics so we all had to sit our asses down in front of SPPS, crimson tears of frustration streaming down our cheeks, as the will to live slowly evaporated from our pores. Whenever someone mentions Kruskal-Wallis or Mann-Whitney, I flinch and a little part of my soul dies. Don't get me wrong though, I wish I was better at this poo poo because I enjoy the quantitative approach over the qualitative. When I'm not shitposting on SA I'm hamfistedly working on a PhD, which involves a lot of discourse analysis and Jesus Q. Christ, what absolute bullshit that is. I'm literally making poo poo up as I go along. Even though working with SPSS was horrible, I'd quite frankly prefer it over the vapid nonsense I'm dealing with now.

But my penis is quite beautiful! :tipshat:

get that OUT of my face
Feb 10, 2007

tsa posted:

watching social scientists try and do statistics is like watching a gorilla trying to invent flight.
and yet it was required at my college for polisci and sociology people to do a "research methods" course that's basically statistics. i actually didn't minor in sociology because it would mean taking that course, which i already did for polisci. also had to take a research methods course in grad school, didn't pass (it was set up for people to fail), and that's why i didn't get my master's

don't let my username fool you, i think stats sucks

Khorne
May 1, 2002
R is good. Not sure what there is to hate about it. If you know how to program in any modern language you can pick up R in a few hours.

Cyril Sneer posted:

I just want to come along here and say I legit like MATLAB.
MATLAB needs to vanish from everything forever, though. It is a god drat nightmare. Let's make our functions only take specific types of variables but let's not explain anything at all about the format of data expected for these functions. Let's also not explain this in the documentation, and while we're at it let's have third party authors not explain it either. And our program is closed source so you can't just go look at what the gently caress it's doing under the hood to solve this quickly. Instead you have to be a god drat monkey at a typewriter and try poo poo until it works. The MATLAB experience.

The documentation is literally somefunc(x1, x2, x3) where sometimes x1,x2,x3 can be certain types and other times they can't, and sometimes dimensions have to match and other times they don't. And sometimes they can be nxm sometimes they can't. But it sure as poo poo doesn't say it in the documentation or error messages. You'd think they'd list acceptable input types, things that have to be similar for the variables, or anything that documentation for a good language or piece of software does. Instead their documentation is the least technical documentation imaginable that provides no useful information unless you didn't know that plot3 plotted something beforehand.

It's only mildly annoying for casual stuff, but it is really annoying when you're dealing with longer scripts that were written by people ages ago that are parsing large amounts of data generated by something else.

Khorne fucked around with this message at 20:10 on Aug 12, 2016

milkman dad
Aug 13, 2007

Vegetable posted:

How do I get good at R? Like, is there a step by step guide to getting good at this poo poo, as somebody starting from zero?

Yeah rstudio and coursera are useful starts. You will also be well advised to take the time to look over the vignettes that come along with functions. ?function() helps. There are some basic things you'll want to learn that include distinguishing matrices and data frames (including how to reference rows or columns). moreover you will want to learn the syntax for for loops and if statements . I/o is pretty straightforward if you don't mind getting your data into a CSV or tab delimited file. If you use rstudio the output part is trivial.

Binary Badger
Oct 11, 2005

Trolling Link for a decade

Offering to help with R is the new 'how far do you need me to carry this printer, lady?'

never heard anyone get past 'oh sure she waves hello every once in a while' level of success though

lol at anyone installing the 32-bit version ITYOOL 2016

Binary Badger fucked around with this message at 16:25 on Aug 14, 2016

Jukeboxblues
Jul 29, 2015

Grimey Drawer
Heres a stat for you OP: You suck!!!!! lmbo

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.
Fine then all of you wankers can pay the standard 80$/hr I charge for tutoring for your R problems.

:c00lbutt:

Skeleton Ape
Dec 21, 2008

My first job that didn't involve lifting heavy things all day was teaching science majors how to write R scripts in my college's computer lab. Biologists loving hate statistics.

DICTATOR OF FUNK
Nov 6, 2007

aaaaaw yeeeeeah

School Nickname posted:

>rootbeer_dicksize<quantile(sa_dicksizes)[2]
25%
TRUE
owned

i think

:agesilaus:

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Skeleton Ape posted:

My first job that didn't involve lifting heavy things all day was teaching science majors how to write R scripts in my college's computer lab. Biologists loving hate statistics.

We really really really do.

Troutful
May 31, 2011

Skeleton Ape posted:

I love stats man. I'm sitting here in lab on a Sunday doing finicky molecular work and it sucks. I lust for data

Pick
Jul 19, 2009
Nap Ghost

Troutful posted:

I love stats man. I'm sitting here in lab on a Sunday doing finicky molecular work and it sucks. I lust for data

Molec sucks donkey rear end, like come on, tissue level and up is where poo poo gets good

Malcolm XML
Aug 8, 2009

I always knew it would end like this.
'S' my dick, OP

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Pick posted:

We really really really do.

Not all of us, I love stats. mostly because once you learn them you can double ur salary, get a cool title like "bioinformaricist" and never pipette again!

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Malcolm XML posted:

'S' my dick, OP

:newlol:

Piso Mojado
Aug 6, 2013

Pick posted:

Molec sucks donkey rear end, like come on, tissue level and up is where poo poo gets good

enjoy flippin tissue culture patties you casusl. The real scientists are over here reading genomes ftw

Ruggan
Feb 20, 2007
WHAT THAT SMELL LIKE?!

SQL, R, Python, C#, I should probably just get a job as a programmer instead

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Piso Mojado posted:

enjoy flippin tissue culture patties you casusl. The real scientists are over here reading genomes ftw

CRISPR owns.

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!
R has a steep initial learning curve, which is even steeper if you don't already know at least one programming language, but the up-front investment of learning it is worth it, OP. I'm so glad I learned R during my first year of grad school.

deep dish peat moss
Jul 27, 2006

Celluloid Sam posted:

my middle and last name both start with R

****** Rodham R*********

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the thing I like most about R compared to Python is that indexing starts at one instead of zero

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Titus Sardonicus posted:

All of this is true and goddammit get rstudio right now. Unfortunately, I have yet to find a good GUI that lets you input your data like a spreadsheet (I could never get JGR to loving work, thanks Java) so all you can do is suck it up and do it the normal pain-in-the-rear end way, but at least do it with rstudio.

Have you looked at places like Cookbook for R? It's been pretty helpful for me for the basics, I've been able to make templates for myself so most of the work is already done. There are some decent guides for ggplot2 as well.

have you tried the R commander package?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
the most retarded thing about R IMO is the logical operators

|| and | really?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

:siren:I CANNOT EJACULATE WITHOUT SEEING NATIVE AMERICANS BRUTALISED!:siren:

Put this cum-loving slave on ignore immediately!

Lichy posted:

have you tried the R commander package?

it became worse over time because of feature creep

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

blowfish posted:

it became worse over time because of feature creep

if you're a real nerd you can use gnumeric to make bespoke csv's instead

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot

Lichy posted:

the thing I like most about R compared to Python is that indexing starts at one instead of zero

Is it that big of a deal?

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

also matlab needs to die in a fire

it constantly bugs out and in the rare case of actually debugging a script enough to make it work the new matlab version will bug out in new and exciting way

the greatest instance of this was someone doing stats in matlab for a paper and having to rewrite the whole thing after getting it accepted because the script bugged out and gave bullshit p values to random variables :lol:

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Three-Phase posted:

it caught me out more than once in my assignments

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Three-Phase posted:

it ma r unsuitable for actual compscis and turbospergs

suck my woke dick
Oct 10, 2012

Lichy posted:

if you're a real nerd you can use gnumeric to make bespoke csv's instead

nah rstudio is fine to make you not want to kill you're self

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We
my university made us all learn how to use SPSS and that's why none of us know what stats is and how it works

Curdy Lemonstan
Jan 25, 2012

by zen death robot

Lichy posted:

Im gonna kill you

Three-Phase
Aug 5, 2006

by zen death robot
You know while I'm here: are negative numbers Cardinal numbers?

Also natural numbers start at 0 and increment to infinity so it makes sense that the first item in a set would be labeled as "item zero" right?

Bulgogi Hoagie
Jun 1, 2012

We

Curdy Lemonstan posted:

Im gonna kill you

trap sprung

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RobobTheGreat
Jul 14, 2003

Mind your manners when talking to the king!

blowfish posted:

nah rstudio is fine to make you not want to kill you're self
Seconding this and all the other endorsements of RStudio ITT. Nonetheless, I know numerous people who for some reason can't stand RStudio, and therefore don't use it :shrug:

Lichy posted:

I code in R as well as C/C++. I have to flip a mental switch depending on which I'm working on. The differing indexing conventions occasionally trip me up, which usually happens in C/C++...although I definitely think starting at zero is more logical, I'm a neurotypical human who was taught to start counting at one during the first 5 years of my life, so...yeah.

Lichy posted:

the most retarded thing about R IMO is the logical operators

|| and | really?
? What's your objection here? Just curious.

Lichy posted:

my university made us all learn how to use SPSS and that's why none of us know what stats is and how it works
I learned SPSS during undergrad. After my first year of grad school, I completely abandoned it for R. lol, just LOL, if SPSS is your primary general-purpose statistics package :smug:

• Locked thread