Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Welcome to the Carnival

You are a loser in the world, both literally and figurally. To the world you should not even exist and it rejects you as much as it can; and yet you continue forward. The road towards your New Dawn looks endless, without much view of the end goal but you still struggle on. Do you give in to the sense of hopelessness or do you strive with all your might to become Human. You follow this particular carnival and yet you are always considered an outsider there even if they let you follow them around.

Welcome to Promethean: The Created 2nd Edition a game about finding what it means to be human and being an outsider, a reject in this world. The prevelant themes of struggle and hope, pain and suffering, and the alchemy of the soul runs throughout the story. But this is not a story about the world. Promethean is very much a personal story, the story about your character, a Created, something that was made by someone else in a flash of the burning of the divine fire within them. You could be made from dead bodies in various fashions, inorganic parts shaped to look more or less human, or even a freak of nature. Your ultimate goal is to become human, for although you have powers, you are far more powerful than a regular human, your reason for wanting to be human is entirely your own. But becoming human is never simple; you are an alchemical equation missing most of the parts besides the very base ingredients, however, you can get these missing ingredients and parts by going on the pilgramage. Through the Pilgrimage you learn what it is to be human and not just mimic what you see humans doing.

Let's just be clear. You are inhuman. You don't actually have real emotions, you cannot empathize with others. Sympathy is outside of your reality and you can't express real love. You are the monster that Shelly wrote about in Frankenstein. But just as the Monster was able to learn to express love and other emotions, so too can you.

Carnivals have been the place for freaks and geeks, outcasts and other ragamuffins to come together and travel with both safety in numbers and community. It is here that you are provided a relatively raw look at Humanity. The worst of humanity, the lowest of the low, and the highlights of humanity, but staying with the carnival is not enough. Though you travel from place to place, you also must leave the carnival to see more of the world. To see people for what they really are. Carnivals also provide you a caravan to travel in, and you never have to be alone, even though you have to keep your distance, or else the disquiet would get to them.

Character Creation

For character creation it is the standard character creation process. This game is going to be looking for 5-6 players. As well as the standard character rules, I would like a backstory and the following questions answer:

• What sort of human do you want to be?
• How have humans taught you to fear and hate?
• How did you split with your creator?
• What keeps you on the Pilgrimage?
• What would you give up to become human?
• Why did the Carnival allow you, an outsider to follow?
• Name one of the Carnvial folks that you know a secret about, and what is that secret.
• What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet and Wastelands.
• What is your disfigurement.

I usually hang out in #swampthings on Synirc if you need me. I also have #darkcarnival for promethean specifically on synirc.

I might also have a once a week roll20 addon for more action packed parts of the game. if the group wants it.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 03:47 on Aug 12, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arashiofordo3
Nov 5, 2010

Warning, Internet
may prove lethal.
Ground floor interest post.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Question, how connected is this game to the ICP lore and mythos? I'm considering using Into the Echoside as the source for my character.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

TheLovablePlutonis posted:

Question, how connected is this game to the ICP lore and mythos? I'm considering using Into the Echoside as the source for my character.

None at all.

Edit: I should say I choose that name since it sounded apropos and didn't realize it was an ICP thing.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!
Play Promethean? I thought we were supposed to praise but never touch.

Going to have to go through the book a bit but I'm interested.

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
Interest post, I need to read the book as well but Promethean is the WoD game I have the least knowledge of.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
Never played or read much about Promethean, but a new edition seems like a good place to start. I'll submit something once I give the book a more thorough readthrough.

Magnusth
Sep 25, 2014

Hello, Creature! Do You Despise Goat Hating Fascists? So Do We! Join Us at Paradise Lost!

Interest post

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Entrapta fucking loves robots

Grimey Drawer
I'll have to grab the new edition and think up a concept, but I'm in.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Anyone have a link to a web based irc client? What's synirc's setting again? I haven't used irc in a long time.

EDIT: \/\/\/ Thanks, I seem to remember having to do a lot more work back when I used mirc.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 16:24 on Aug 13, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Soonmot posted:

Anyone have a link to a web based irc client? What's synirc's setting again? I haven't used irc in a long time.

https://www.mibbit.com/

and the server is irc.synirc.net then join /join #darkcarnival.

Green Bean
May 3, 2009
"Toby"

Sheet

Toby was the creation of a brilliant engineer who had lost his only son to leukaemia. Overcome with grief, he became a demiurge, attempting to recreate what he'd lost through advanced robotics. While he succeeded in animating Toby with Divine Fire, it quickly became clear that this new artificial creature was incapable of replacing his namesake. The engineer abandoned Toby, who eventually managed to find his way to the Carnival.

What sort of human do you want to be?

"I want to be understood."

How have humans taught you to fear and hate?

"Father would hit me sometimes when I did something wrong. There was this...resistance in my heart I didn't like. I kept thinking about hitting him back or running and didn't know why. Once I told Father that, and he didn't hit me anymore. The others told me that I must have been feeling 'hatred', which is why I thought how I did, and that by telling Father that, I made him afraid, which is why he stopped. I don't feel hatred very much any more, because no one at the Carnival hits me. Is it because they feel afraid?"

How did you split with your creator?

"Father left one day. He had done it before, but he had always come back. I waited for him until everything started falling apart and I couldn't find any more fuel, so I left too. The others say he's not coming back."

What keeps you on the Pilgrimage?

"I was constructed to be human - to complete the Pilgrimage is to fulfil my purpose. As I am now, I am incomplete."

What would you give up to become human?

"I do not have much, but to become human I would give up what little I possess if that is what it took. It is only the others for whom I feel some manner of hesitation. As much as I want to fulfil my purpose, for some reason I do not wish to leave them behind."

Why did the Carnival allow you, an outsider to follow?

"When I first came, they told me that children are supposed to run away to the circus, not the carnival. I didn't know where the circus was, so I hid in one of their trucks when they left town. They didn't like that I did that, but when I told them about how Father had left, and that he'd hit me, they decided to let me stay if I did chores and stayed out of the way."

Name one of the Carnvial folks that you know a secret about, and what is that secret.

"Sometimes I walk around at night where I'm not supposed to so I can look at all the rides. One night, I saw Bill Hutchinson, who's in charge of the Midway, sneaking into Cleo the Fortuneteller's trailer. The next morning at breakfast, his wife asked where he'd gone, and he said he was just checking on the booths. I didn't say anything, because the others told if you don't understand what's going on, sometimes it's better not to say anything."

What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet and Wastelands.

"Once, I helped set up a food trailer and got a really bad burn. It made me think bad things, like that I was just a machine, and that the only reason I'm doing the Pilgrimage is because I'm programmed to. I'm really careful around fire now."

"I stayed in the lab where I was built for a long time, and it started to fall apart. I don't know why it happens, but I think it's good that the Carnival travels."

"One night at the Carnival, some children saw me and invited me to play. I was good at throwing their ball, but at the end of the night they said I was weird and they didn't want to see me again. The oldest boy knocked me down, and I felt 'hatred' feelings again. I didn't like that. The others say it happens if you spend too much time with humans, so now I try to avoid them."

What is your disfigurement.

"I am metal and plastic and pigment. My heart does not beat, my eyes do not blink, and my skin is a hard carapace on top of an alloyed skeleton. I am not human, but one day I will be."

Green Bean fucked around with this message at 02:35 on Aug 14, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Form Fillable 2e sheet is now released

The Two Page is broken here is 4page

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Aug 14, 2016

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Dolly

This is what I am.

I want to be great, and be loved for it.

I was born to serve a purpose, which was pleasing my creator, a horny and handsome young man. He loved me like he loved a job--going through the motions and waiting for a payoff--and kept an archive of pictures to prove that, yes, I was real and in his bed. He acted nervous all the time. Sometimes he would cup his hand over my mouth--and nose once--when he saw something reflect through the window shades or heard a train go by.
And he never spoke to me except to answer my questions and moan my name. I don't think I would have known I was "My Dolly," or that he was Andrew.
Lack of knowledge feels like burning, only weaker and more... dark.

He had been out of his room for a while, so I took a cautious look around. He didn't want me to be seen by people outside the house, but he didn't seem to mind me reading his books or watching his TV. One day he gave me the password to his laptop, which is how I found out he was posting pictures of me on the internet. I hadn't seen myself as clearly, but when I found my name above them, I just had to ask, "Is that me?"
"I knew it!" he said all of a sudden, "I knew this was wrong, but I had to. It wasn't perfect like I thought it would be, but even still you just can't get out of my head... Will you forgive me?" I didn't know what to say.
So he dressed me, gave me a bag and led me out the door. "Go away, Dolly." And so I walked down the street, and down another, until someone in a car stopped nearby and I asked, "Can you help me?"
Turns out a lot of humans think like Andrew.

After a few days of wandering, I found a shopping mall. My dress was wrinkled, but I had money for a new one (at the behest of last night's guest). When I went inside, I heard music which thumped where I think my heart is, and I saw a lot of people in pairs and holding hands. Sometimes they'd kiss, and my first thought was 'In public?!' So I spent as much time as I could observing "couples" and listening to pop music.
After I bought the dress, of course.
If I was human, I could have love like that. Real, proud love. No more shame.

I really don't mind looking weird. I mean, this makeup is how Andrew always did it, and I could learn new stuff if I wanted to, but I don't. It's always been this way... I could lose the natural looks--not the Azoth, but like, me me--if it meant being human. Getting the thoughts out of my head.
I wouldn't mind forgetting him, too.

Why did the Carnival allow you, an outsider, to follow?
Well, someone told me to go there. And I do 'fit' style-wise. When I talked to them, they asked me, "What can you do?" And I said, "Whatever you want." And even though they mostly felt... uncomfortable, the manager spoke up, asking me about my balance and stamina and stuff.
I've watched a lot of action movies in Andrew's room, so stuff like jumping, swinging and tumbling kinda felt natural. And he asked me my name.
And I said, "Dolly."
And he said, "O-Of course." I think he was scared, or just surprised. I know I was. It was like I found something I could do forever. I could be the best at acrobatics. How cool would that be?
I mean, he couldn't leave me behind with skills like that.

Name one of the Carnvial folks that you know a secret about. What is that secret?
I don't know a lot about cocaine, but I know Butch does it. I was making my way to the games when I heard his distinct laugh, "Eeh heheheh." And he was bent over, with his face on a metal beam. The mannerism was a telltale sign of snorting. And he rubbed his hands together, climbed into the dunk tank and started heckling people. Is that how he talks so fast?

What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet and Wastelands?
Well, I stayed in Andrew's room for a while, and the Disquiet was really making itself known to him... It seemed like he would say less and less, and stayed away for longer and longer, until finally he snapped. It probably didn't help that his house was a mess. His TV cracked one day, and I panicked trying to fix it but it never got its picture back. Andrew forgave me for that, but... he was paranoid all the time.

And when I left his house, I turned back and noticed just how bad it was. Shingles falling off, paint peeling, the yard was basically dead... And I knew it was my fault.

My fault.

I spent most of an evening in a trance after a bad performance. I felt like I was retreading the same steps, moving my hands the same way, saying the same things to everybody. And even though it was rehearsed, and it was perfect, I felt as if I had lost control. It wasn't until I got back into my room that I realized it. All the routines I'd learned to pass as human were playing on repeat in my head, and in the daze I forgot what I wanted to do with all that time.
I wanted to go to the watergun game and get a toy.
And instead, I spent the rest of the time we were in town doing the same thing. And it hurt a little more each time.

What is your disfigurement?
My bottom half is a shade darker than my top half, and in particular, my legs rattle sometimes as if they want to run away. I think they're longer than they should be.
My waist is unnaturally small and higher up my torso than most women. Andrew wanted me to fit into corsets.
Most of all, my face is perfect by a textbook definition, and my hair takes on patchy shades of red. It's like my face has been stretched over my head.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 03:15 on Aug 17, 2016

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

Here's an interest post. Like everyone else I'm not so familiar with the chronicle but I've picked up the book and would like to check it out!

Basic Chunnel
Sep 21, 2010

Jesus! Jesus Christ! Say his name! Jesus! Jesus! Come down now!

One thing: Is this set in modern day? Because the premise by itself evokes Carnivale pretty handily.

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
I just need to figure out a refinement for my character. I was going to be aurum, but I'd have been picking the exact same powers as dolly, even if I was going to take the leader role. Time to think about it after work tomorrow night. I'll be off for a cOuple nights and able to get to writing.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Basic Chunnel posted:

One thing: Is this set in modern day? Because the premise by itself evokes Carnivale pretty handily.

Its gonna be 90s-early 2000s starting in middle America.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

We need Dragon-type Pokemon to help us prepare our food before we cook it. We're not sure why!

Soonmot posted:

I just need to figure out a refinement for my character. I was going to be aurum, but I'd have been picking the exact same powers as dolly, even if I was going to take the leader role. Time to think about it after work tomorrow night. I'll be off for a cOuple nights and able to get to writing.

I think picking Aurum is fine. Most Created start out with the Aurum Refinement anyway, and there's probably enough flavor differences between our characters (and the roles) that our Refinement won't be an issue.

Actually, Dolly could use someone to follow. :v:

Juchero
Feb 15, 2008

Wedge Regret
I haven't read the whole book yet(still haven't even finished Werewolf for another game I apped for), but I had an idea based on the original Golem myth.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Absurd Revolver posted:

I haven't read the whole book yet(still haven't even finished Werewolf for another game I apped for), but I had an idea based on the original Golem myth.

Tammuz have changed, the original golem moved to unfleshed. To explain a bit more; they wrote a sidebar of making unfleshed versions of the lineages but the Tammuz lineage doesn't really bring up the golem. However the unfleshed do.

Senior Scarybagels fucked around with this message at 16:45 on Aug 15, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Okay, character sheet and basic background are done. Some of the questions can already be inferred, but I'll do a proper pass on those later. Let me know if there's anything (aside from the questions) that needs to be expanded on.

First, theme music: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KRKnE07koEE

Character Sheet: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B-UkBhXlxCQZN1B5NzNuaVZjTjA/view?usp=sharing

Description:

Tall and slender, Talulah is pretty enough to be a galeata. Her hair, if left unknotted, forms a firey halo around her skull when the light catches it the right way. Her clothing, when out of costume, is loose and flowing. She likes the ease of movement and the feeling of air against her skin. With the Fire hiding her true self, it appears that delicate, pale blue tattoos entwine their way around her arms and legs, they almost look like rose branches, thorns and all. If she took off her dress, you could see that these tattoos are all connected and radiate out from an angry dark blotch, a light consuming black under her left breast. The vines become darker the closer they get to that blotch. That's where her mother cut her heart out.

Without the masking glamour hiding her, you can see that those aren't tattoos. They're rifts where something tore it's way out of her. Or maybe into her? Ectoplasm leaks out of these rifts, slightly obscuring her in a haze.

Also? She has no eyes. Just vacant infinite pits where they should be.

History:

Talulah was supposed to be the perfect daughter. Her mother's first daughter was such a disappointment. (She had a mouth.)

Talulah was supposed to be devout and pious. Her mother's first daughter was a heathen. (She laid with boys.)

Talulah was supposed to be clean and respectable. Her mother's first daughter was dirty. (She did the drugs.)

Talulah was supposed to be the perfect daughter and she tried her best to be everything that her mother wanted her to be, everything that the first daughter wasn't. Her mother called down the Holy Spirit and it tore apart her sinful, dirty daughter and left Talulah in her place. She tried so hard to be good and right and dutiful, but the Holy Spirit tore away the bad bits and the good bits from the first daughter and Talulah was all hollow and empty inside and her mother knew it. Her mother feared it and was shamed by it and so she left and Talulah then had to make her way in the world without anyone.

That was five years ago. She wandered and drifted and tried her best to learn about humanity and fill the empty yawning void inside her. She discovered that all those things the first daughter had done were so much more fun than what her mother wanted her to do. Even though Talulah didn't remember the first daughter, she tried to follow in her footsteps for awhile. But that didn't make her happy for long, and it became apparent that Talulah needed to find her own way. She wasn't the perfect daughter, but she also wasn't the first daughter, she was just Talulah.

The people she met were drifters and loners, the kind that lurk on the outskirts of society. She learned that she was good at listening. She was also good at asking questions, a brief friendship with some street kids taught Talulah to read palms and tell fortunes. Her natural talents made her excel at this and soon, she began to earn money. Enough money to buy an old van and travel before her lies and the disquiet caught up to her. Her new skill set and vagabond lifestyle eventually pushed her towards carnival work.

Already otherworldly and disturbing, Talulah didn't find it difficult to convince that first show to rent her a stall in the lot. She stayed a month with that first show, they hit six different towns in two states and she earned more money than she had ever seen. A lot of it, most of it, went back to the show's management as new fees kept cropping up, but she had more than she needed.

That was when things began to crystallize for her. Humans respected other humans who had lots of money and things. Those humans had more friends, too. If Talulah wanted to be human, to be the best human, she needed lots of money and lots of things and lots of friends.

Now, she's established a handful of carnivals to hop between based on their travels and her free time. She does fortune telling mainly, but also some snake handling. She still remembers enough of Mother's teachings to impress the more religious audiences with her ability to tame the serpents through scripture. Those type of people don't really turn out as much for the fortune telling, unless they think those powers come from God. It doesn't reall matter, Talulah just knows that if she says the right things, they smile or cry, but always give her money. That means they like her and she's a good person.

What sort of human do you want to be

Loved and respected. I'll be rich, because those are the best people. All the other humans look up to the ones that have more money and more things. I've already begun to collect so many things, my van is full of them. I know, once I get enough things, people will stop being disgusted by me. That is how it works.

How have humans taught you to fear and hate

Fear and hate what? Them? Me? I know they hate me, they know I'm not real, but I still have more things than they do. I have more money. But since they know I'm not alive, they don't respect me. I can still make them do what I want, though. That's enough for now, I won't have to make them do it once I have enough money.

How did you split with your creator

Mother left me one night. I don't know where she went, but I woke up and she was gone, her things were still there and I thought she had just gone shopping, but she never came back. I waited for months. The power went out, the water stopped running. Then things got weird and people got angry and started to throw rocks at the house. Then the house burned down and I just left. Mother left....

Mother left me when she saw I was even worse than First Daughter. I tried so hard to be perfect. I was perfect, I know I was. But she never saw it, never said it was enough. Oh! Remember that question about hate? I know how I was taught to hate. Mother taught me. I Hate Mother. I Hate First Daughter. They're the reason I'm here, Mother never thought I was good enough and First Daughter, as terrible as she was, is still better than me, simply because she was real. I Hate them so much!

What keeps you on the pilgrimage

I want to be alive. I want to feel things for real. I want to care about the people who love me, care the way Mother never cared about me or First Daughter. If people are going to respect me because I have all the money they don't, I should be able care about them and protect them, right?

What would you give up to become human

Not any of my stuff, I need these things to be the best human, so I can't give them up. But everything else. I won't need powers anymore because I'll be alive and I'll have money, and that's all humans need.

Why did the carnival allow you, an outsider, to follow

I pay rent. Humans let you do lots of things if you pay them. They know I bring in the marks. When I first toured with the Carnival they put my join on the left hand side and I still made more money than any of the other temporary performers. I also don't complain, let them put me in less traveled part of the lot, people will find me.

Name one of the Carnival Folks you know a secret about

Oh, I don't know how much of a secret it is, but Louie Blue-eyes, the assistant to the lot manager, said if I slept with him, he'd get me a better spot for my show. He tries that with all the temporary shows, if they have an attractive woman with them. But, I do know the reason why the Thorsen contortionists were banned from the lot wasn't because Daniel tries to rob Louie, but because Louie said he'd move their show to the center of the lot if they let him take their teen daughter back to his trailer.

What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet, and Wastelands.

That was why I left Dannville, Illinois. That and the house burning down. When Mother left me, I felt terrible. I stayed in that house and tried to talk to the spirits. When I was in my room, they would come to me. Soon, they'd come no matter where in the house I was. I didn't care about anything except the secrets they would whisper. They'd tell me about the things that walked in the night. They'd tell me about the things they came from. They'd tell me how to set them free.

It took the fire to make me realize I was causing this. After I left, I learned that the entire block was suffering because I stayed there too long and used the Fire too often. That people killed themselves because I sucked the hope and happiness from them. I won't do that again.

How did you get a van

Her name is Violet. I know she's gray, but that's her name. She was given to me by a very sweet boy name Keith when I told him how tired I was from having to walk everywhere. I had been staying with Keith and some of his friends in Carbondale while school was out for the summer. He was a local and enjoyed showing me around. But he knew I was going to leave, I had told him that when we met. I still stayed too long, he started to get scared of me. He didn't want to give me Violet at first, but.... Well, he was already scared so I just let him see me for real. His giving me Violet means he forgave me for that. People don't just give you things unless they like you.

Was Mother a Pentacostal

I don't know very much about Mother. But after talking to spirits, and mediums, and witches, after reading books and bibles, I don't think Mother was all that sane. There were snakes used in my creation, I know that. But there were none in the house after I woke up. I just like them, I feel drawn to them and they seem to like me.

Are people jealous

Oh, I hope so! Jealousy is the first part of them realizing you are better than them. I try not to talk about my money too much, I know that you're not supposed to. What you're supposed to do is impress them with all the things your money can buy. That's what I do. I buy lots of things. Sometimes I give things away, but only to my close friends. Well, the ones I want to be my close friends. Or sometimes to people I want to do things for me. Giving people things show that you value them and makes them like you.

Does Talulah have the yearnings of First Daughter

I don't think so. Sometimes things seem familiar, but when I tried to do all the things Mother said First Daughter did, once the fun on doing something new wore off, I didn't care for most of those things.

Are popular humans the best humans or just the ideal humans

Well, aren't those the same thing? I will be popular because that makes me better than others. If I'm better, than I must be the ideal? That's what being human is about, trying to be the best one by having the most things and the most friends.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 03:43 on Aug 18, 2016

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Arizona Killer

Sheet v.1

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t05G0983BcI

Handsome, masculine, tall, I guess. Mostly I don't wanna need people to like me or care whether they respect me or not, because I'm so sure of who I am and where I'm supposed to be that I've got everything I need already. I want there to be no one I'd rather be than me.

I ain't afraid of humans, they're afraid of me. What would I be afraid of? Anyone who tries to gently caress with the Killer is gonna be dead.

I hate humans because they're beautiful to me. It's not even anger, they're just...there, in my brain, dancing and laughing and holding hands and poo poo. Not laughing at me, they don't care about me, I know that. Just bein' happy bein' themselves. Even when I was a Freak, they were still in my head, still beautiful. That's what got me out.

I think the Principle created humans to show me what I can't have. What I can never have.

Okay, so Texas Red is this big scary Tammuz, 8 foot tall, hard as granite with a big leather apron, and he lurches around the Southwest looking for stuff to fight. He buried some human in the desert outside of Tucson, and after she's baked for a while, your ever-lovin' Arizona Killer pops out of the ground. He only made me because he had to, he told me a million times. He tried to teach me Ferrum like him, but I was half his size and I'd never be as strong as he was, so I always disappointed him. God love him, the old bastard isn't much of a teacher. After a while I got mad and said he should've picked a bigger corpse if he wanted me to be like him, he thought that was probably right, and he'd better kill me and try again. Like, the reason I existed was so that Texas Red could learn an important lesson by killing me.

So I ran away from him, but he always tracked me down because I was his unfinished business, and we fought. I was pissed off that he thought he could just get rid of me, like I only existed for him. Like, when I was a Freak- even when he started trying to run away from me, get a new throng, learn from some humans- I would find them and break them, because I liked hurting him. It was bad.

Anyway, a couple years ago, we had this big throwdown at the Grand Canyon during a supercell thunderstorm. Went on for almost a week, 'cause we kept getting recharged. Finally he took a tumble, and I walked away alive. That's the last time I saw him. Someone must have saw the fight, because a few months later, I started hearing stories about it in the Ramble. "The Battle of the Canyon, Texas Red and Arizona Killer at the crack in the world." Lots of embellishment and sound effects. He's usually the good guy.

Not hope, really. Hope is a mistake.

More like knowing the alternative. I've been off the road, and it loving sucked. You imagine there's a point where things get so bad that they break and you magically push through into something different and better, but that point doesn't exist. You just keep being a monster. It never ends.

Gotta keep pushing this stupid boulder, no matter how many times it rolls back down the hill. Sisyphus is in Hell, but at least he has a purpose.

My memories. My footprint. My past. All of it, the good and the bad. I don't want the stories other monsters tell, or the nightmares, or the memories of what I've done and stolen and killed. I want none of this to have ever happened, and I want a blank slate.

I'm doing this for them- for my victims. I don't want them to have to sift meaning out of what I did to their lives, because I'm scared I can't give them that. I just want to take what I did away from them.

Why did the Carnival allow you, an outsider to follow?
At first I was just too scary to turn me away. But it turns out the leftover scars and mutations from practicing Flux make for a hell of a freakshow. I scare people off that they don't want around, and lately they've got me doing a "feats of stamina" act. You know, sword swallowing, staying underwater for a super long time, staying on my feet while a guy hits me in the chest with a hammer, that kind of thing.

Name one of the Carnival folks that you know a secret about, and what is that secret.
You know Marvolo, that huckster in a top hat they've got doing stage magic? He can talk to dead people. As in ghosts. Yeah, I saw it myself. He's got this ritual he does with a map and a pendulum and a shortwave radio, and he's always whispering to some special ghost he calls the Rider when he thinks people can't see. You think we're the only ones at the Carnival who go bump in the night? Get real.

What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet and Wastelands?
When I was first with Texas Red out in the brush, he wouldn't let me go talk to humans. Said I wasn't ready yet, not until I was stronger. I wasn't getting stronger than him any time soon, so after maybe the first year I ran away from him one day and went into Tucson.

After I lurked for a while, I went into this old house with a nice pretty garden and tried to talk to the people there, and I thought it was going okay for a couple hours, but they got scared and didn't understand what I was saying anymore, and the people ended up leaving. So I stayed in the house by myself and slept in the garden. They tried to come back a few times, but when I talked to them and said they should come back and stay with me, they thought I was threatening them and they just ran away again.

I started getting vivid dreams when I slept in the garden. I kept pushing for more of them, rearranging the plants, digging furrows in the dirt to match the signs I saw, humming those pretty Elpis songs I heard, and I guess I pushed too much. By the time Texas Red found me a few weeks later, I'd ruined the house and the garden too. Muddy and creaky and broken and dead and the people couldn't even talk right.

He told me this rhyme about it while he took me back to the desert. How's it go...

"A man of words and not of deeds
Is like a garden full of weeds
And when the weeds begin to grow
It's like a garden full of snow
And when the snow begins to fall
It's like a bird upon the wall
And when the bird...
uh...flies away-"

I don't remember the whole thing, it had like a hundred verses and it gets stupid after a while. T.R. said his progenitor told it to him. The main thing is the first bit, the garden full of weeds. That's me.

When we got back, I "realized" he'd supposedly been right all along. I wasn't ready to live with humans, and I never would be. That's my Torment: I gently caress something up, and I get down on myself, and I stop trying, and I just give up and don't try to be better or be anything at all. That's when I told T.R. that he should've found a bigger corpse instead of bothering to make me. That worked out great.

What is your disfigurement?
My hair is muddy and matted, I've got furrows and pebbles embedded in me, my nails are craggy and dirty- I look like I got shot point blank with buckshot, buried in a shallow grave, and clawed my way out. And thanks to my Flux scars, my skin has streaks of different colors and I can't always talk right and my right hand looks like some kinda flabby pincer. Some of that shows through the mask, but the Azoth tries to cover it up so I just look like an rear end-ugly human.

Kellsterik fucked around with this message at 20:48 on Aug 18, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Questions 1 part A

Toby - You say you want to be a human who is understood; do you think there are people that simple? How did you learn to fight, and learn to throw. Did you learn science by studying your body or did you learn it from a book or what. What parts can separate from your body? Are you a very forward being or are you just too meek to really manipulate people. How did Cuprum appeal to you?

Dolly - How do you feel about being used by Andrew do you think it is natural to be used like you were? What sparked your interest in the occult? What does RM mean? Did you find that Andrew taught you persuasion. Do you have a good friend? How did Aurum appeal to you?

Talulah - How did you get a van without any sort of knowledge about driving? Was your mother a part of the Snake Handlers of the Pentacostals? Do you feel other people are jealous by how much you make with your fortune telling and palm reading? (3 Dots of Resources is upper middle class). Does Talulah still have any of the yearnings that her previous body had? Does she feel popular humans are the best humans or just the most ideal humans?

Arizona Killer - You practiced Flux? Tell us more about that time with you as a user of flux, a Centimani. Why did you change? What made you stop from being a centimani? What caused you to be that. What was your first vivid Dream? What is the Azothic Object that you have?

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Senior Scarybagels posted:

Questions 1 part A

Toby - You say you want to be a human who is understood; do you think there are people that simple?

"Humans seem to understand each other very quickly. Last week, a customer called Mr-Robinson-Who-Runs-The-Ringtoss a liar. I know she was right, because I saw him lie two weeks ago. When I am a human, I hope people who see me know who I am too."

quote:

How did you learn to fight, and learn to throw.

"I know how to hurt people. I've always known, though the others tell me not to mention this. Father said he used to work for soldiers - I think my body is made from spare parts from what he did for them. Sometimes, I see flashes of humans hurting each other."

quote:

Did you learn science by studying your body or did you learn it from a book or what.

"I woke up before my body was complete. As soon as I had eyes, I could watch Father work. I learned a lot. And while I was waiting for Father to return, I could read some of the books before they fell apart."

quote:

What parts can separate from your body?

"Any of my limbs, as well as my eyes, heart, and brain, can separate and act independently."

quote:

Are you a very forward being or are you just too meek to really manipulate people.

"I do not understand how humans work enough to 'manipulate' them. Adding a layer of deception would make it even harder."

quote:

How did Cuprum appeal to you?

"The risk is low, and it's a logical path; I must understand humans to become one of them, and to understand them, I must observe them. My experiences with Disquiet were...I do not wish to repeat them."

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Dolly - How do you feel about being used by Andrew do you think it is natural to be used like you were? Did you find that Andrew taught you persuasion.
I mean, I know now that it's probably not natural, but I didn't know when I was with him. And I haven't been with a lot of people while they were performing sex. Most of the men behaved like Andrew: matter-of-fact and secretive, though a bit more vocal. For a while, that's all I really knew was sex, let alone love! That was just the state of things, for weeks. That was the real Torment.

Andrew did show me a bunch of poses, and said they would get me anything I asked for. Bat my eyelashes, show my big blue eyes, tilt my head a bit, "nose down here Dolly, down, just a little to the left, perfect." Sometimes his words still play in my head when I ask people questions. It's less the words I say, and more how I say them. Like he said, I make a pretty picture.

quote:

What sparked your interest in the occult? What does RM mean?
Okay, so I wanted to get the big deal about my situation. Andrew didn't give me a lot to go on, there's only so many things a TV can tell you, and the Azoth was mostly showing me stuff like "this is how you walk, this is how you..."

So I went into a library and asked the receptionist, "Where can I read about people making other people?" And she said, "Fiction. Speculative fiction, science fiction. Over there." I don't think she liked me.
I found Frankenstein, which was so not me. And then I found Pygmalion, which, for lack of a better term, was close enough. But Frankenstein was a lot cooler so I dug more into that vein. You see, I've been having problems with my legs. Sometimes they... get "scared," even when I might not be, and even worse is they kick people! I was entertaining a perfectly fine man, when all of a sudden my heel bops him in the butt (not in the way he had intended). So I wanted to figure out why that was.

Sometimes people get transplanted organs, and sometimes those organs feel odd (not in the clinical way, because that would be very bad). But other stories, where, say, a transplanted hand tries to strangle the owner, or a new liver makes someone want to drink. Things like that. And, I mean, of course! I'm physically two different people, so of course the lower half is rebellious.

Anyway, those "residual memory" stories are really fun to read, and so were a lot of other stuff I read. Now I always look at the papers in town when I go to town which is very rarely. Can you believe how bad our crocodile problem has been getting?

quote:

Do you have a good friend?
Kind of. I've been walking around the games a lot, and a few days ago a sucker said hello. ("Sucker" is what Butch calls people who play the games here.)
His name is Kelly, and he's nice enough. He's a little stout, and his facial hair is a little gross, but I didn't mind it if he didn't mind me. And he had just lost a few dollars to the milk bottles, as I learned after making small talk. So I gave it a shot, since I was planning on playing it anyway. Of course, he was trying to aim at the center of the bottles, but I know the secret is to hit at the base. I... didn't tell him that, but I did knock them over first try.

Then I beat him at the water gun game, got two rubber ducks, and stood up a beer bottle. He said it had to be because I've played these games before, but really that was the first time. But since I watched the barkers demonstrate how to play, they give away the secret if you pay attention. Which I do.

But after all that, he asked me how long we would be in town, and I told him we were packing up and leaving tomorrow. And he said okay.
So he followed us to the next state over, said hi to me, and went on to win all the big prizes. Most of the carnies got suspicious of him, but he gave up and left when they started getting "friendly."
But before he left, I ran up to him and, uh, gave him a kiss. On the cheek! Nothing, like, major. And he blushed and chuckled a bit, and... I haven't seen him since.
But he was nice to me! It was... a good effort, to be sure. And I might see him again. Who knows?

quote:

How did Aurum appeal to you?
People-watching is all I do. Of course Aurum appealed to me. It was... ingrained into me, really. When I first realized the potential I had, it was because I knew humans who loved and shared, and laughed and cried, and held hands and kissed, and I thought "I could do that." And Bruce Lee! Watching him fight is like a dance of humanity. Power, grace, control. I can do that too! That's what I want. That's gold.

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Aug 17, 2016

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
What sort of human do you want to be

Loved and respected. I'll be rich, because those are the best people. All the other humans look up to the ones that have more money and more things. I've already begun to collect so many things, my van is full of them. I know, once I get enough things, people will stop being disgusted by me. That is how it works.

How have humans taught you to fear and hate

Fear and hate what? Them? Me? I know they hate me, they know I'm not real, but I still have more things than they do. I have more money. But since they know I'm not alive, they don't respect me. I can still make them do what I want, though. That's enough for now, I won't have to make them do it once I have enough money.

How did you split with your creator

Mother left me one night. I don't know where she went, but I woke up and she was gone, her things were still there and I thought she had just gone shopping, but she never came back. I waited for months. The power went out, the water stopped running. Then things got weird and people got angry and started to throw rocks at the house. Then the house burned down and I just left. Mother left....

Mother left me when she saw I was even worse than First Daughter. I tried so hard to be perfect. I was perfect, I know I was. But she never saw it, never said it was enough. Oh! Remember that question about hate? I know how I was taught to hate. Mother taught me. I Hate Mother. I Hate First Daughter. They're the reason I'm here, Mother never thought I was good enough and First Daughter, as terrible as she was, is still better than me, simply because she was real. I Hate them so much!

What keeps you on the pilgrimage

I want to be alive. I want to feel things for real. I want to care about the people who love me, care the way Mother never cared about me or First Daughter. If people are going to respect me because I have all the money they don't, I should be able care about them and protect them, right?

What would you give up to become human

Not any of my stuff, I need these things to be the best human, so I can't give them up. But everything else. I won't need powers anymore because I'll be alive and I'll have money, and that's all humans need.

Why did the carnival allow you, an outsider, to follow

I pay rent. Humans let you do lots of things if you pay them. They know I bring in the marks. When I first toured with the Carnival they put my join on the left hand side and I still made more money than any of the other temporary performers. I also don't complain, let them put me in less traveled part of the lot, people will find me.

Name one of the Carnival Folks you know a secret about

Oh, I don't know how much of a secret it is, but Louie Blue-eyes, the assistant to the lot manager, said if I slept with him, he'd get me a better spot for my show. He tries that with all the temporary shows, if they have an attractive woman with them. But, I do know the reason why the Thorsen contortionists were banned from the lot wasn't because Daniel tries to rob Louie, but because Louie said he'd move their show to the center of the lot if they let him take their teen daughter back to his trailer.

What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet, and Wastelands.

That was why I left Dannville, Illinois. That and the house burning down. When Mother left me, I felt terrible. I stayed in that house and tried to talk to the spirits. When I was in my room, they would come to me. Soon, they'd come no matter where in the house I was. I didn't care about anything except the secrets they would whisper. They'd tell me about the things that walked in the night. They'd tell me about the things they came from. They'd tell me how to set them free.

It took the fire to make me realize I was causing this. After I left, I learned that the entire block was suffering because I stayed there too long and used the Fire too often. That people killed themselves because I sucked the hope and happiness from them. I won't do that again.

How did you get a van

Her name is Violet. I know she's gray, but that's her name. She was given to me by a very sweet boy name Keith when I told him how tired I was from having to walk everywhere. I had been staying with Keith and some of his friends in Carbondale while school was out for the summer. He was a local and enjoyed showing me around. But he knew I was going to leave, I had told him that when we met. I still stayed too long, he started to get scared of me. He didn't want to give me Violet at first, but.... Well, he was already scared so I just let him see me for real. His giving me Violet means he forgave me for that. People don't just give you things unless they like you.

Was Mother a Pentacostal

I don't know very much about Mother. But after talking to spirits, and mediums, and witches, after reading books and bibles, I don't think Mother was all that sane. There were snakes used in my creation, I know that. But there were none in the house after I woke up. I just like them, I feel drawn to them and they seem to like me.

Are people jealous

Oh, I hope so! Jealousy is the first part of them realizing you are better than them. I try not to talk about my money too much, I know that you're not supposed to. What you're supposed to do is impress them with all the things your money can buy. That's what I do. I buy lots of things. Sometimes I give things away, but only to my close friends. Well, the ones I want to be my close friends. Or sometimes to people I want to do things for me. Giving people things show that you value them and makes them like you.

Does Talulah have the yearnings of First Daughter

I don't think so. Sometimes things seem familiar, but when I tried to do all the things Mother said First Daughter did, once the fun on doing something new wore off, I didn't care for most of those things.

Are popular humans the best humans or just the ideal humans

Well, aren't those the same thing? I will be popular because that makes me better than others. If I'm better, than I must be the ideal? That's what being human is about, trying to be the best one by having the most things and the most friends.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Sorry if I was holding this up!

Arizona Killer - You practiced Flux?

Guilty as charged. I guess you've heard my Repute.

quote:

Tell us more about that time with you as a user of flux, a Centimani. Why did you change? What caused you to be that.

If my broken brain learned one single thing from that whole nightmare warhellride, it's this: Flux is a failure state. It's not about transcendence or transhumanity or escape or freedom, it's just failure. Flux doesn't care whether you think you can master it or fight fire with fire or riddle out all the philosophical whatever-whatevers of it. Trying to embrace entropy and emptiness for power is like cheating on an IQ test: it's a short-sighted smug little trick that only proves how stupid you really are. Or...it's like...trying to worship gravity by nailing people to the ground. Gravity doesn't need your help. It doesn't even know who you are. It just is.

Here's what they don't say in the stories about the Killer: she used to be nice. Maybe even a little sweet. That's why I never figured out Ferrum like he wanted me to, I just smiled too much. But I really did want to be human, I wanted all of it, the whole starry pretty fake idea. I became Hundred-Handed because I gave up. Same way I always gently caress myself: I stopped trying to do better. After I'd split with T.R., I was roaming around up in Utah, in Torment because I hadn't eaten in a week, and I just...I was so tired. Tired of running, tired of being afraid, tired of hating myself. They say we don't get sick, but I had this pit like a snakebite in my belly, and I was sick of feeling like poo poo all the time because I wanted something I would never have. I hated that T.R. had created me and thought he had the right to kill me because it would somehow help him become human, and the more I turned it over in my brain, the worse it all sounded. He thinks he can become a human being? Why? Why would I want to be like him? Or like the weak scrawny little bitches and bastards who throw hot coals at me just for eating their food? I didn't want to be afraid of the monsters anymore, I wanted to be the perfect monster, and stop deluding myself.

So I'm thinking all this ugly stuff, wandering around Zion Canyon, and I guess my Azoth woke up some Pandorans- and I see this pack close in on some human at a campsite. And he begs me to help him. And...I don't. I just watch. And when the Pandorans run off, I step off the path and I run into the wilderness with them.

I don't like to think about everything that happened when I was a Freak. It's hard to remember now that my head's on straight- it feels like I didn't even think most of the time, it was just buzzing and shadows and whispering and instincts. I wasn't a She, I was an It, just animated flesh and tainted Azoth. Like, we aren't people, but Centimani really aren't people. They're not even trying. They aren't even really like animals, they're just monsters. They are every horrible thing people think about us in Disquiet.

I was in the wilderness for like...4 years? Maybe? It all ran together, and I wasn't exactly looking at calendars. I can't believe how much time I wasted. But I got real good at Flux. Don't got anything to show for it now, except for the scars and stains in my clay- I dunno if you even can keep Flux when your head's on straight, and if you try, you probably ain't ready to come back. I didn't bother training or working to improve myself like a Ferrum would, I'd just let Flux warp my body until I was stronger. I didn't really look like I do now. I'd roll up with like, bulging biceps and three arms and eyes on my belly and...ugh. Thinking about what I did to this flesh makes me feel sick all over again. I can't look at myself in the mirror some days.

So I'd prowl around and look for Pandorans to awaken and I'd break into those highway rest stops and break the person inside and just sit down in the wreckage and eat all of it, everything organic, and the Twinkies too. I didn't save food for later or anything, I just gorged myself and left the rest to rot. And I'd warp my body for kicks. And human bodies, just to spite them for having what I can't have. Didn't meet a lot of other Created, but I must've made enough of an impression on some of 'em to start getting stories told about me. I already told you about how I'd track down Texas Red and wreck whatever poo poo he was working on. For a while I was running with this weirdo Osiran that called itself Firstborn, some kind of self-proclaimed philosopher of Flux. We did some wild poo poo together. But eventually I went my own way. Couldn't understand half of what it was talking about mostly, and the other half was scary, even to me.

quote:

What made you stop from being a centimani?

Fire. I'm like a moth to the flame, I've always had a weird relationship with fire. And Li'l Slugger, I guess.

So I was stuck in a burning mobile home out on the prairie and I couldn't get away, and when the flames hit my scales (I had a scaly hide then), it stoked my Pyros. The pain, and the rejuvenation, somehow cleared away the cobwebs. I thought: "What's happening? What am I doing?" It wasn't the first time I had a moment of clarity, but it was the first one that stuck.

I decided I needed to find Li'l Slugger. I'd lost it in the big fight with T.R. at the Grand Canyon, thought it was gone for good. But I felt it somewhere. And I spent a couple weeks following the pull of it, Azoth calling to Azoth. I stopped mutating myself. Found some proper clothes to replace my rags- like I said, I was an animal, not a person. The Pandoran that was following me got tired when I stopped feeding it, wandered off somewhere to hibernate. Finally I ended up in Paris, Texas.

I swear this happened. I wouldn't make this up. I end up at a baseball game around sunset, and a bunch of human kids are wrapping up their game, the older humans are all cheering them on and pouring drinks and stuff. One of the older humans looks at me lurking by the batting cages, watching the match, and he's about to ask me what I'm doing, and I know the Disquiet's gonna hit him. But before he speaks up, one of the little humans comes up to me, and he's got Li'l Slugger over his shoulder. He looks me right in the eye and he's a little scared, but he says: "Is this your bat, ma'am?"

And I nodded. And he says: "I just found it. Do you want it back?"

And I nodded again. And the kid hands me the bat. My bat. I wanted it, but I thought it was impossible- like I'd never see it again, definitely never see a human speaking to me like a friend. Impossible. And the older human puts his hand on the young one's shoulder, and I walk away. That's when I decided to start trying again.

That was about 8 months ago. It happened! I swear, that's just how it happened! I ain't lying!

quote:

What was your first vivid Dream?

It was when I was buried in the garden of that house in Tucson, the garden full of weeds.

So there are a bunch of us Created, and we've crawled out of this field of mud all wretched and filthy. An angel appears, and it starts whipping us with this blazing chain, making brands in our backs from the scars.

We all end up gathered in the desert, with the sun baking the mud into our skins. We're commanded to work on this project, and we obey. We build a statue of the perfect human, out of lead and tin and copper and iron and gold, but the feet are made of clay like us. And we get on our knees and wail and pound our fists and pray to this idol, pleading, crying, begging for it to make us human.

And the statue opens its mouth and spews forth Vitriol, bathing us in this black acid. Some of us melt and dissolve into screaming legs and unblinking eyes that scurry away. Some of us howl and mutate into cyclopes and giants with a hundred hands, and fall upon the others and eat them. Others are afraid, and just run away from the fountain. The titans and the body parts catch them soon.

But I don't mutate, I just stand up tall, and all the caked-on mud washes away from my body. And I turn away from the statue and I walk in the desert to the nearest town, and the people there embrace me and are not afraid.

quote:

What is the Azothic Object that you have?

Li'l Slugger, I call it. It's an aluminum baseball bat, professional quality, with a few bumps on it and a faded blue grip. There's black marker writing on it that says 'BARRY BONDS.' It was near me when I first clawed my way out of the ground, just stuck in the dirt outside of Tucson like a spear fell out of the sky. I was holding it before T.R. got to me for the first time.

It packs a hell of a wallop! I don't really know how to play baseball, but I can hit real good with it. T.R. taught me how to fight like he did, and I guess some of it stuck. I've lost it before, but it always comes back to me in the end.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marx

My breath is filth and my heart boils. People see my body, but I don't feel it. I press up against it and flow around, like a puppeeteer on the inside, like a glove with too many fingers. They tell me there was a "Firestorm" where I was born, and if so I was smoke and flame that crawled into some fallen body to survive, to live, not to just burn up and vanish forever.

It was Iris that found me in the middle of the flames. Traveled with her for awhile, but she didn't understand how I did I what I do. She always struggled with the living, I think, being made out of dead people. It ate at her. Jealousy, I think? I don't... I don't really know what it's like, but I see it in people. She could shine, but everybody she touched burned sooner or later. One day, she was gone.

The Carnival was a light, though. I followed them around for awhile before being noticed. I... work, now? I do things they like, I shout and smile and people react predictably. They're complicated. They have stories, and I try and listen, and remember. I'm not any mortal's child, but I can see how people form into knots. Maybe if I see how they wind together, I can form my own knots.

Maybe.

Or maybe I'll just burn up.

• What sort of human do you want to be?

A complicated one. One that knows lots of things and is known of by many people. Not... famous, no, but liked, maybe? Hated, too. Complicated.

• How have humans taught you to fear and hate?

They keep forgetting who I am. I'm me. People's minds run like rats in tunnels and get lost around me and then... and then...

Maybe they're right to hate me? Maybe I'm doing something wrong? I need to learn more.

• How did you split with your creator?

Creator? I don't... what? No. None of that.

Helena said she saw an angel, a- qashmallim when I was born during the fires. I'd like to ask them questions, one day.

• What keeps you on the Pilgrimage?

I have to understand people, I need to pull them apart... not like, with my fingers, don't worry, but with my eyes. There's so much to discover in each person. They're like books or movies, but they don't even know. They all think they're boring. None of them are.

• What would you give up to become human?

I'd have to give up my body, wouldn't I? The one that works so hard when I push it, that shifts, I'd be filled with blood, which rots and sickens. Humans are always giving something up, aren't they? Being human is learning how to give up. But that's not so bad.

• Why did the Carnival allow you, an outsider to follow?

I don't think they "allowed" me, I just didn't give up. I also work hard, so... they like that.

• Name one of the Carnival folks that you know a secret about, and what is that secret?

Johnathan may be a juggler, but I know he reaches into visitors' bags and pockets and takes things. I don't know if I should tell anyone. It might be less interesting if he has to stop? They'd probably make him stop, or at least share. I want to see what happens. Maybe I can figure out how he does it and try it, too.

• What was your first experience with Torment, Disquiet and Wastelands?

There was this guy who used to sleep with Iris and me when we were staying in a building... Harold? He was really friendly, but then... it was like he got tired of me, and forgot who I was. Then he thought I was trying to take his stuff, but he wouldn't stop, and Iris broke him. I think he was already broken, though. I kind of forgot who I was for awhile after that, Iris had to keep reminding me. Maybe I wasn't who I am... was...? I had to learn who I was again by taking on parts of other people, but... I wasn't the same. The place burned down a little while after that, though, it was already pretty old, but I think us staying there... made it worse?

I like moving better anyway.

• What is your disfigurement.?

Smoke comes out of me, and my limbs move fleshlessly, no bones... or that's what the others say. I've never seen it. I always feel that way.

Alien Rope Burn fucked around with this message at 11:30 on Aug 22, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
Just an update

Apps will close friday the 2nd

If you have character sheets and stuff ready post them asap.

Questions Round 2
Marx - Do you think there are uncomplicated people? What in your eyes is the ideal complication of a person Who trained you as a barker? Did Iris tell you anything about herself? Do you have any theories on how you came to be? You're an extempore; it must be really lonely since there are very few other extempores in existence. Do you feel any connection with the throng that you are in; if so do you feel that they think of you as a freak even among prometheans. (Don't worry about specifics, you can be generic on this).

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marx

Do you think there are uncomplicated people?

People? The smaller ones... no, not like at a carnival, you know. Kids. Kids are simple, I guess. They get complicated, though.

What in your eyes is the ideal complication of a person?

I guess really old people who get to be really complicated but a lot of their ties are faded, so they're as free as they don't get tied up in knots. They can boss younger humans around but don't always have to be in charge like a boss or alpha. It's all about time, maybe? Maybe being complicated takes away pieces of you, though. Or you give away pieces? I haven't really tried that.

Who trained you as a barker?

Jones isn't nice but I think he cares anyway. It's not like he took care of me, but he poked at me until I did better. There's something about a hammer and nails, but he at least teaches people not to be nails? Or something? Does that make sense?

Did Iris tell you anything about herself?

Not much, I think she was... embarrassed? Afraid? She seemed more comfortable in cities and under roofs, I think she was used to having to hide. I wasn't really worried about who she was, a lot of people think about people based on who they were, not who they are. I think with humans that's important, but with us... we've all got strange befores we don't like talking about. It's better for us to look ahead.

Do you have any theories on how you came to be?

I was a fire that didn't want to die. I don't know the science for it. Is there a science for it? An alchemy or... it's like asking a human what it just have been like to conceived. I don't know how it was, just how it feels.

Do you feel any connection with the throng that you are in?

I feel closer than most, but not close? I'm loose because I can flow amongst people better, I can break off and return. Like a cat or dog that goes and returns. They're home, but they're not my only place.

Do you feel that they think of you as a freak even among prometheans?

I don't know what a normal is, I guess it's normal enough for us. I'm strange and they might not know what to think, but that's fine. It matters more than I am who I am than what I am. If there are any troubles, I just have to prove I'm useful, right? People like useful things, even us.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Well, it shouldn't be too difficult to make picks.

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer

Kellsterik posted:

Well, it shouldn't be too difficult to make picks.

Infact
THE PICKS

Alien Rope Burn with Marx
Soonmot with Talulah
Rather Watch them with Dolly
Kellsterik with Arizona Killer
Green Bean with Toby

with The picks made this is what I want;

Give me an opinion on each of the other members of the throng
Give me something that you like about them in character
Give me something that you dislike about them in character
Give me your Favorite member
Give me your least favorite member
Where do you sit in the van

Individual Questions
Toby - has there been any accidents recently in the carnival?
Dolly - has someone ignored your greatness yesterday?
Talulah - Has one of your Fortunes come true Yesterday? If so what was it?
Arizona Killer - Has there been any sighting of pandorans that you know of?
Marx - There was supposedly a large fire at the firehouse last night, do you know anything about it or did you just witness it?

Soonmot
Dec 19, 2002

Grimey Drawer
Tallulah

Has One of your fortunes come true?

“Oh, oh my... can they do that? I mean I guess they could. What I do isn't really magic, I just deal the cards and interpret the symbols. But I also ask questions and lead with vague hints that my subject will grab onto and flesh out. I guess my fortunes are kind of like me. An illusion of reality, but if you try, it can maybe actually be real? I hope some have, I really do want to help these humans become better people.

Maybe Cleo's fortunes come true, I know she doesn't like it when I do fortunes instead of snakes.”

Where do you sit in the van?
“I drive my van, as long as the others are kind to my snakes and don't take any of my things, they are welcome to ride along.”

What are your opinions on the others?

Toby:
He's a child? But not really, because he's like me, us. Not real, but still, why was he made as a child, they are hardly even people at all. They don't have money, all their things are given to them, but they can't stop them from being taken away. I don't understand this.

I don't LIKE this. He seems like a mistake and I try to avoid him. He tries hard, I guess that's good.

Dolly: Oh, I like her so much. She is like me, trying to understand the humans, only by following them instead of leading them. I know, I feel, as if I will need to try lots of new things on the Pilgrimage, and talking to the others makes this seem true, but could I ever be a follower? Just wait for things to happen to me? I... I don't think I could get very much money that way.

I think Dolly is a friend?

Arizona Killer: I know lots of people of scared of 'Zona. They should be, she can be very mean and she is very, very strong. But I really enjoy her company. I wish I could be that strong. I can fight, a little, but she is a force of nature and I envy that.

She was a bad guy, though. That always stays in the back of my mind, she used flux and was one of those monsters I've heard stories about. I like her, but I'm not comfortable alone with her.

Marx: Marx is a miracle. I mean, I guess we all are, but she was created by no one and from nothing. That is very, very interesting. I think this makes her sad, sometimes, but it shouldn't, something like her cannot be an accident. I like that she's all smokey, it's similar to how the Holy Spirit still leaks from the cuts on my limbs.

Soonmot fucked around with this message at 19:01 on Sep 3, 2016

Green Bean
May 3, 2009

Give me an opinion on each of the other members of the throng

Marx

She knows how to speak to humans so they come to see her booth. I asked her how she knows what to say, and she told me the people are like knots. I didn't understand what she meant - I don't know a lot about humans, but if you tied one into a knot, it would probably hurt them. She is different from the others, but I don't know why. Sometimes I spend whole nights watching her booth and trying to understand how she knew to say the things she said, but I never do.

Talulah

I don't understand why she is trying to collect money - is there something she can buy to make herself more human? I do not have money, but that's because I don't have anything to spend it on. I do not require shelter, I can sustain myself with nearly any organic matter, and the humans provide me clothes, which makes sense to me since they have been more concerned about their absence than I have. I do not see much of Talulah, though she sometimes lets me ride in her van. Her voice gets louder if I try to speak to her, so I don't do it very often.

Dolly

The humans watch her. It isn't like Marx where they listen to her, because Dolly doesn't say a lot when she's doing her tricks. I watch her too, because maybe if I can figure out why they watch her, I will understand humans better.

Arizona Killer

I get a tightness in my heart when I am near her, but it isn't the same as the hatred feeling. I don't really know what Flux is, but I don't understand how someone can turn their back on the Pilgrimage like she did. She told me she is trying to become human now, so I will try to support her however I can.

Give me your Favorite member

Dolly.

Give me your least favorite member

Talulah.

Where do you sit in the van

When there is not much room, I go in the trunk because I don't take up much space and I am strong enough to anchor myself in place. I have to stay under a blanket, though, because the others say the police don't like children riding without seatbelts.

Toby - has there been any accidents recently in the carnival?

One of the carnival workers got his arm caught in the tilt-a-whirl gears. The medic said he would probably lose his entire forearm, but the next day he just had a cast on and he said he could still wiggle his fingers. The other humans said they were happy he recovered so quickly, so I am trying to be too.

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Marx

Arizona

I guess she's supposed to be scary, but I just wonder what's inside. She acts like there's nothing in her, but then she's a storm all of a sudden. I think she tries to keep something inside, but I just want to pull it out and take a look. She'd hurt me if I did, though... I'd probably deserve it.

She's good to have around when there's trouble, but when there isn't... she can be trouble, too. I guess you need trouble to deal with trouble, huh? She's probably my favorite, but maybe that's because she's like Iris. It's like she came back, but different.

Dolly

She wants something from people, I hope she gets what she wants, but is it the best for her? Humans fail a lot, so many times, you know? It's going to hurt over and over if she's going to be like a human, I'm not sure she understands that.

But she's better with people than I am, even if she burns them faster. I wish somebody had made me pretty, but then, it'd be harder for me to stand outside, too.

Talulah

All she does is take stuff, but... no matter how much she piles up, she's still her. And if she's around it all the time, it'll fall apart. I guess it doesn't matter if I borrow some of it, then, right? She always has the right tool for things.

Toby

I don't think he knows much, which is good for now, I think it be a lot of trouble when he does. I should protect him from that. Am I really protecting him or them? Well, once he knows more, I guess I'll find out. I can only slow it down. He's good at looking at things in another way, though. I like hearing what he sees.

Still, I think he's going to ruin things, I don't know why I think that. He's just so simple and people are so complicated. They're not going to understand.

I like being up front in the right where I can see things, and I can shout things to people from there. It's okay, they'll never see us again.

There was supposedly a large fire at the firehouse last night, do you know anything about it or did you just witness it?

I thought I saw something move inside? Not like somebody setting the fire, but something made of fire, or light, but a person too... it could just be the heart of the fire, I guess. Like me. Maybe I could have saved it? Or maybe it didn't need saving... I see flames like that, and I just want to walk in... like going home. But I'm afraid, too. I'd lose all my skin and things and go away. I don't want to yet.

Kellsterik
Mar 30, 2012
Arizona Killer

I've never been around so many of us at once. It's gotta be the angels that did it, one way or another. And they're all just unworked clay with pretty ideas about how close they are to humanity, especially Dolly. Screw 'em. Lula's the only decent one.

I got close to Texas Red and Firstborn, and I got burned both times. I'm keeping my distance from this pack. They're naive, and inexperienced, and they just don't get it, but...being around other folks on the Pilgrimage keeps me honest. But a safety net's just another thing to get tangled up in.

Ugh! Stupid throng giving me complicated feelings. It was so much easier when I was alone. I'll give 'em one more week, then I blow this place. Just like I said last week.

Toby
You seen the arm on that kid? He hits like a freight train! I wanna see him in a real fight- maybe I'll try and get him to kick my rear end sometime. I'm tough, so he can really cut loose on me. Hell, he might be stronger than T.R.

...huh. That's a weird thought. Toby's even smaller than I am, but he's way stronger than me. Being strong like T.R. is all he ever wanted from me. If Toby had popped out of the dirt outside of Tucson instead of me, my creator would've gotten exactly what he wanted. So maybe I didn't fail him because I'm small. Maybe I had a chance all along, and I just...kinda suck.

He's gonna fall hard when he learns he can't do what he was made for. That's how it was for me. At least I can be there to catch him before he hits the bottom.

Dolly
I think I hate her. I dunno how else to explain it. I've never felt this way.

I hate her because she is beautiful. I hate how pretty and soft her voice is. She's never crawled half-starved through the desert while the Pandorans circled. I hate how easy it is for her to talk to humans and walk with them and touch them, how they give her everything she wants, and how close she must think she is to being like them. I hate the way her arms and legs and fingers move so, like...like...not like anything. I close my eyes and I think about her fighting or maybe dancing, and it makes my blood boil. I dream about her and she isn't even doing anything, she's just there in my mind, smiling.

She looks at me and I remember how ugly I am, too small, too weak, corrupt and cruel. She talks so sweet and I remember how my lips and tongue are all hosed up, and I stutter over my words and I can't speak right. She laughs like a bird cawing and it makes my face hot and I look away, makes me wanna just sink back into the dirt and disappear, but makes me wanna make her laugh more, too. It's some kinda flicker of her Azoth, some special way to trick me like she tricks the humans. I know she sees that I'm hideous, that I'm a Bad Guy, that I'm just a mistake. I want to be free from this feeling. I just want to grab her, take her hand, make her drop the pretty act, and just say it. Say you hate me too! Admit it, so we all know!

Talulah
Loopy Lula. Totally delusional, but she's not so bad. She treats her snakes completely unlike how I treated my Pandorans, and I like that about her.

I dunno what it's like to be made by a human- is that why the others all relate to humans better than me? But I know what it's like to turn out different from what your creator wanted. Make her pay, I say. Don't ever let that fire go out. Bite the hand that made you, make them regret it, make them wish they never called down the lightning- and show them that they can't get rid of you. It's much too late.

I had this dream about Talulah the day after I met her. I didn't really get it. We were sitting at a kitchen table in regular person clothes with a big bag of cash between us, and it was all in black and white, and there were people clapping and laughing and making noise in the background. We were pointing and arguing about something she'd done, and I was saying all this stuff that was exactly what Texas Red has said to me before, and she was saying all this stuff that I had said to him before, and it started to get mixed up with some other stuff about drinking and boys and drugs and money and Flux that I didn't really process, and I take out my baseball bat and she pulls out her weirdo spirit hairpin dagger. And then I say: "we can't fight. i made you. we're in this together. we're all we've got." And Talulah starts crying smoky ectoplasm out of those empty void eyes. And we both put our weapons down. And I pull her in close and wrap my arms around her and just stroke her hair, and I say: "i love you, honey." And she says: "i love you too, mom." And all the invisible people say "aww," and the curtain goes down.

Marx
She acts like she knows me, but how could she? She doesn't even have a creator. She just showed up one day. She's more like the angels than one of us. And for somebody that knows so much, she doesn't have a clue.

Why? Why would you want to understand something as worthless as us? Why try to perfect base lead? Why work for a victory you can never, ever have?

What are you? What's it like, not to know the Azoth memory? Can you still feel like a failure if you weren't made for a reason? If you left the path, would anything call you back? Do you dream about humans, too?

I don't get this one. I don't think she knows the stories they tell about me yet. It doesn't matter. Once she does, she'll see that I'm only gonna poison her and make her crazy impossible Pilgrimage even harder, and then she'll push me away and I can leave.

Van
Sometimes I lay on my back on the roof, and feel how weird and airy and queasy it is to not be touching the earth.

When Lula's driving, I'm in the back right seat. I can keep one eye on Toby, and lean way out the window in case I need to throw some lightning or let my hair out in the wind or introduce my bat to some mailboxes.

Pandorans
I saw one yesterday, this fat warty little bastard that looks like a toad crossed with a lion, and it's got a big sticky tongue and spits green fire that smells like a grease dumpster. Got away from me before I could bug zap it. I dunno which of us woke it up, but it's been hunting us, lurking outside the fence. I know Pandorans. The thing's gotta be starving by now, smelling one or all of us, and real soon it's gonna be desperate enough to just jump into the carnival and bite.

Also? There's some weirdo freaky corncob dolls in the souvenir tent that I don't like the look of, not at all. I try not to hang around in that tent. I mean, I think the whole idea of dolls is hosed anyway, so why take the chance that it's a dormant Pandoran? One of us needs to figure out who's selling the corncob dolls and make him destroy the drat things, just in case.

Double May Care
Mar 28, 2012

Dolly

Marx
She's kinda like a people-watcher, and she's really pretty even if she doesn't think she is. It's really interesting to just sit with her and talk about people, even if she has different ideas about what we're trying to become. She tends to use people more than she learns from them, and that's kinda where we butt heads. I mean, what else is there to look at when you're already you?
And the way she talks is, I dunno, relaxing? I know humans like the way she talks, so that must be what I hear.
She's my favorite.

Talulah
She has a van! I mean, that's so awesome that she learned to drive and everything. I'm, like, really good at driving but that's mostly from Andrew's computer games and the bumper cars, so a real car? Wow. She must know what it's like to be loved if she's so rich.
I think she's really good at what she does, and that she doesn't let her inhumanity stop her from achieving that, but she can be kinda blunt too? She definitely doesn't hold back.
I really don't know what her problem is with Louie, though. He seems nice enough.
She's my second-favorite.

Arizona Killer
She's... I mean, wow, way to own your body and stuff. I really respect her for her strength and stuff. I think she could probably stand to take some chances; I mean, she has more potential than I do. She can be awesome if... she just... y'know, applied herself? I mean, strong is awesome, but there's so much more than that!
She's my third-favorite.

Toby
He's very analytical, more than I am! (Or Marx, for that matter.) But of course he's also very... hesitant? I think he thinks he might break people if he spoke up, or said something wrong. He sees humans as puzzles, and they are for sure! But it's easy enough to imitate them, so why all the struggle? Am I missing something?
He's my fourth-favorite.

I sit next to Arizona in the back left seat. No real reason behind it; it's just a seat, right? Just the same seat I've always sat in, in the van, or in a taxi, or in a bed. Back and to the left.

Has someone ignored your greatness yesterday?
Yeah, it's weird, but somebody walked out of my routine while I was on the trapeze. When I landed, I saw him walking away and I could tell he was a carnival worker. Oh, I think he runs the water gun game. Freddy? Anyway, he was kinda disaffected by it all. He was standing there along the way back and he was saying something about how he could do what I do, but I was... caught in my routine and just said, "Thank you." That was probably the wrong thing to say?

Double May Care fucked around with this message at 04:39 on Sep 4, 2016

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
The Game Thread is live.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Senior Scarybagels
Jan 6, 2011

nom nom
Grimey Drawer
So you all know, you can get an extra beat per scene by turning a fail into a dramatic fail if you choose so.

• Locked thread