Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

What is this game?

Rome 2, a hybrid real time strategy/turn based strategy game about tiny men fighting in the classical era. Notable for it's awful launch. It's perfectly good now, though.

Who are we?

Well we're Athens. That's the place in Greece. Notable for pioneering democracy, fighting Sparta, ruling the waves and being Greek. Once had a man who lived in a wine jar.

What are we doing?

Well, I'm playing the game, you are telling me how to. I fully support doing it in-character as a 3rd century bc Hellenic prole and getting in ideological fistfitghts.

Mod Notice

I am playing with a handful of mods. Specifically:

Auxilia for everyone. Due to the fact that Athens roster is terribly unvaried and it's just not right that only Rome can recruit locals.

No Expansionism. Because the expansionism mechanic is annoying, gamey and we will already have the assembly to make everyone hate us.

Traits, Talents and Toadies. Just because I like the rebalancing and expanding it does.

Chapter 1: The New Athenian Assembly (272bc)

Voting Rights

The assembly is open to all who reside in Athens and can pay :10bux:

Current Rights of the Assembly

Civic

-You can make general and specific building mandates, but have full, absolute authority over Athens proper.

Political

-You can give generals promotions.
-You can choose to have people stabbed to death who aren't part of the Magistrates
-You can order the hiring of an agent and create a general deployment mandate for them.
-You can choose to slander an oligarch character or have them be married.

Diplomatic

-You can't order specific political actions (declare war next turn, ect), but you can order the pursuit of a policy towards any faction (seek trade/total annihilation, ect.)

Fiscal

-Nothing. You can pry the budget from the state's cold, dead hands.

Military

-You can do whatever with army formation and composition in peacetime and I'll try for it. When war hits I reserve the right to do whatever needs to be done to not die.
-You can provision the raising of an army, but you cannot order the disbanding of one.
-You can set war goals and modes of operation within a war (don't sack cities, sack all cities, liberate that city, liberate all possible factions, ect).
-You may rename any army or navy at your whim.

Research

-Shoot for the moon, choose any target you want.

Other

-When events happen, you can vote on how we handle them.
-The Archon is in charge of resolution when legislation conflicts.
-When legislation fails to pass, this does not mean the Archon is forbidden from doing what it asked. He is only forbidden if opposing legislation passes instead.
-Changes to the Constitution are like any other legislation, however the Archon and his magistrates have veto.

Current Legislation

-None Yet!

Defunct Legislation

-Also nothing.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 04:04 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
Post Reserved.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Chapter 1: The New Athenian Assembly (272bc)

Greetings to all at this, the first meeting of the New Athenian Assembly, sure to be a beacon of hope to a Polis whose glory is much diminished!

I am Demochares, Archon of the Magistrates and I expect all of you who stand here before me to be righteous Athenian men, strong in your Hellenic virtue.

...*Cough.*

Or, well. Whatever you are. I swear, ever since Solon let anyone attend this institution has been a joke. All residents are welcome to participate, assuming they can pay a perfunctory fine of 10 drachma, according to our generous overlords up in Pella, so take advantage of it while it lasts.

Now, I suppose I should tell you what exactly is going on, right? Well, ever since what happened to the old governor-

-the nobles from the north have felt rather unwelcome, but what with Epirus being in the way and all they've decided the appropriate response would be to allow us all a bit more autonomy.

So congratulations, we are free from the dictates of the half-barbarians who have ruled us in reality if not sometimes in name, ever since a young boy-king named Alexandros went and conquered the world from Dacia to the Indus. Now we may forge our own destiny, free and great! Except for the fact that we are paying them for the privilege of coming to their side whenever someone bigger picks on them.

Which brings us to our current situation. If you haven't the education of a Galatian, well, I will explain:

This is Athens, free at last and almost totally irrelevant in the world today.

As you can see, our neighbor to the west is Sparta (that's the one with the armies). You may remember all the times we fought them. Well, forget that for the moment: we have sworn to pacts of trade and non-aggression, they're in a defensive alliance with the barbarian Macedonians and more to the point they're fighting Epirus.

Epirus is the one to the north, they're at war with Sparta. They just recently lost to the Latins and the Macedonians and are rather exposed at the moment. They also own a slim majority of beautiful, beautiful Hellas.

Macedon, is of course, just to their northeast. Ah, Macedon, home to great Alexander and ruiner of Greece. It's because of them no one wants to live around here anymore. Also they've been installing their governors here and generally oppressing all proper Hellens when they can.

Moving eastwards there is Tylis at the Bosporus, who are no-account Celts. Then there's Bithynia on the other side, who are a former satrapy of the Persians and not to be trusted. Beyond them are those crazy easterner-loving Pontians. Probably busy fighting the other Black Sea colonies.

Back to the coast is the kingdom of Pergamon, of little interest at the moment. Beneath them are the Sardes, who are a satrapy of the Seleucid empire, tiny as far as empires proper go, but with many, many vassals.

Speaking of them, we are currently trading with their greatest enemies. Egypt (or, more accurately, the Ptolomies). Both claim succession to the empire of Alexander. Both are also completely unworthy.

Moving closer to home there's Rhodes and Knossos (representing the entirety of Crete). Both are small and vulnerable Polises without any allies.. Tempting...

Ah, but last of all: the west. Here, the latins occupy the entirety of the peninsula, with aggressive pretensions towards the Punes in Africa as well as the magnificent city-state of Syracruse.

And that's about it for what we know of the world as it is. Now it falls to you, the educated citizens and ahem, residents of this proud Poleis, to reclaim the glory of Athens and unite all Hellenes! Hopefully, anyway.

Now, for you to do your duty and vote! Vote on policy that you propose! But remember, we are not mad barbarians, to shout whatever ideas we may have and then follow them blindly. Ours is a constitutional state. So, without further adieu, your rights and where they end:

Civic

Now, the only city you can administer directly is of course, Athens. (That is to say, you choose what is specifically built there and will be updated upon the state of the city.) If you want anything else built, you'll have to set a general or specific policy, like: have a temple built in every province. Or bulldozing everything in Macedon. The magistrates (I. E. me) have veto and final right on all non-Athens related initiatives. This is important, you know! In fact it's so important the scholars have put together a collection of scrolls about construction and architecture over here. Any among you with the ill-informed loutishness of a Boetian: educate yourself!

Political

When it comes to honors, accolades and promotions, that is your duty. The higher up someone is, the more they do for their political party influence-wise and the more they can do personally (I. E. they get a set of bonuses). Promotions cost money, which we are not made of, by the way. Oh, also, influence: it's pretty simple, important people as seen here contribute it. The more of them they are and the higher their rank and promotion level, the more they contribute. Too much influence for us and everything goes to pot as the oligarchs swarm, too little and same situation. I'm sure that'll never come up though... Oh yes, which reminds me. If you want a general replaced, you may vote for it and they shall be gone.

Incidentally, you may wish to demand the investment in and use of political agents, such as spies, dignitaries and champions. Guidelines for their usage can be proposed, both independently and as part of other proposals.

Also you can choose to stab anyone who isn't me (don't even think about it). I don't really recommend that you do, but should you choose to, please, don't screw it up. You can also slander any of the Oligarchs or see to it that they become married, if you wish.

Fiscal.

No. You have many rights, but no right to decide upon monetary policy. If you did, you would all vote to exempt yourself from taxes or other such nonsense. The magistrates decide where money gets spent and who gets tax-exempt status.

Diplomatic

Now, you can set any diplomatic policy you like, but it must be a policy, specific actions made towards a nation will not be accepted as proposals. For example: “Ensure the destruction of Macedon” is fine. “Declare war on Macedon next turn” is not.

Military

Here is what you cannot do: You cannot order around the Strategos and you cannot decide what can and can't be recruited when we are at war. Why? Well, for the first restriction: because this is war and they are the generals. For the second: Because all men must serve, no exceptions. You get called up to serve your Polis, you fight like your forefathers. Also, because the hiring of one unit can be make or break when it comes to war.

What you can do, though, is decide what general military policy in a war is to be. This includes Wether or not we sack cities, if we look to occupy or subjugate, or, as the case may be, liberate. If we sack and raze, we don't take the settlement for our glory. If we subjugate or liberate, we either make a client state of an existing faction, or resurrect a dead faction as a client state.

Finally, you can demand the raising of an army or navy in an area of your choosing, however, you cannot demand that an army or navy be retired, otherwise you may very well choose to disband the entire military for being mean to you or looking unsightly.

Research.

Okay this one is a little abstract, but since you are the philosophers, this is all on you. Now, the scholars have another compendium of what they believe the future might hold over here. So if you don't know, read it. Once you have you can vote on whatever specific advancement holds your eye or whatever broad approach you want to take and we'll be knowing all about it by lunchtime.

Other

When an incident of note arises, you will have to vote on it.

Procedure

Now, it all works like this: You are now called upon to propose legislation. After this, proposals that are within your rights shall be voted upon. If any piece gets more yes than no votes, it passes and may the gods help us all.

Oh, and one final matter: if you have any questions at all, please, do not hesitate to ask. I would rather annoyance at a well-informed assembly, than the disaster a poorly-informed one might cause.

-----------------------------------------------------------------

Now, OOC time.

Athens starting situation is not the best, but it does have a few upsides: Epirus can be rushed pretty easily, Rhodes and Crete are easy pickings and Sparta hates Macedon and loves us. This means that once the 10-turn cancel limit (diplomatic ties can be dissolved only 10 turns after they are made without incurring massive drops in trustworthiness, which is like increasing infamy in paradox games) is up, they can be easily convinced to abandon their allies, in many cases.

Keep in mind that I am only a mediocre player when it comes to actually fighting, though I think I'm good at the strategy layer. This is why I have left myself so much room to disregard suicidal player votes.

Speaking of, in case you didn't want to read that long spiel up there, here's what you can propose and vote on:

Civic

-You can make general and specific building mandates, but have full, absolute authority over Athens proper.

Political

-You can give generals promotions.
-You can choose to have people stabbed to death who isn't the archon.
-You can slander any of the Oligarchs or see to it that they get married.
-You can order the hiring of an agent and create a general deployment mandate for them.

Diplomatic

-You can't order specific political actions (declare war next turn, ect), but you can order the pursuit of a policy towards any faction (seek trade/total annihilation, ect.)

Fiscal

-Nothing. You can pry the budget from the state's cold, dead hands.

Military

-You can do whatever with army formation and composition in peacetime and I'll try for it. When war hits I reserve the right to do whatever needs to be done to not die.
-You can provision the raising of an army, but you cannot order the disbanding of one.
-You can set war goals and modes of operation within a war (don't sack cities, sack all cities, liberate that city, liberate all possible factions, ect).

Edit: -You can also Rename armies and navies according to your whim.

Research

-Shoot for the moon, choose any target you want.

Other

-When events happen, you can vote on how we handle them.

Current State of Athens

Current Buildings: City Lvl. 1, Harbor lvl 2, Muster Field lvl 2, Traveler's Lodge lvl 2 and an undeveloped build slot.

Current Legislation

-None yet!

Defunct Legislation

-Also None.

You can now propose legislation.

NewMars fucked around with this message at 08:27 on Aug 12, 2016

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Posters off the pork bow!
Oh boy, legislative LPs are always fun. :helladid::hf::getin:

Quick question for our Archon, are we allowed to vote on renaming armies and such?

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Grizzwold posted:

Oh boy, legislative LPs are always fun. :helladid::hf::getin:

Quick question for our Archon, are we allowed to vote on renaming armies and such?

It is your right, I suppose...

Please don't rename my army.

unwantedplatypus
Sep 6, 2012
Gentlemen, Athenai has always prided herself on the navy. It is the obvious course of action, then to upgrade the port. A strong merchant marine will fill the city's coffers and can be press-ganged into fighting if needed. We also need to re-establish our naval legacy. We should name our first fleet Poseidon's Hardy Seamen , as our sailors are the finest, not only in Hellas, but in the Mediterranean, and our allies and foes alike should know it.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Friends! Citizens! Athenians! Give me a moment of your time! I just come to advise Athens, not to lead it.

The evil that men do lives on after their deaths, yet the good they do is often buried with them. So let it be with departed Demosthenes. The noble Macedonians have told us that the late orator, last leader of independent Athens, forced their hand: if that is true, it was a grievous error, and grievously did we all bear the repercussions of it. Here, under the leave of regal Antigonus Gonatas- for Antigonus is an honorable man, as all Antigonids are honorable men- come I to speak at this noble assembly.

Athens is my home, faithful and just to me- but the Macedonians say that Athens was a threat, and the Macedonians are honorable men. Athenian merchants once criss-crossed the seas, and dealt fairly with her neighbors. Is the sale of an amphora a threat? When our fellow Greeks suffered under Persian heel in Ionia, Athens wept and reached out to help. Threats should be more bloody than that, but the Macedonians say Athens was a threat, and Macedonians are honorable men.

You all know that since the days of Kodros we have hailed no king, and that even at the peak of the Delian League no Athenian sought to reform the League into a Kingdom. Was that a threat? Yet the Macedonians say Athens was a threat, and surely the Macedonians are honorable men. I do not speak to disparage the Macedonians, but here I am to speak what I do know.

Yesterday the ships of Athens might have stood against the world; now she lies beached, trodden on by the phalanx. If I were to inclined to stir you hearts and minds to rebellion, I should do King Antigonus wrong, and the Macedonians wrong, who, you all know, are honorable men. I mean them no wrong, I would rather choose to wrong the dead, myself and you than to wrong such honorable men.

Ah, but here is a parchment withered with age; it is one of the last speeches of venerable Demosthenes, Ὑπὲρ Κτησιφῶντος περὶ τοῦ Στεφάνου. If the assembly heard his words- which I do not mean to read, out of respect of the honorable men- they would raise their swords against Macedon in an instant, march across the fields of Thessaly, and wash their spearpoints in the bloodbaths of Pella.

Have patience, please, for our honorable men. It is not all good you know how Demostenes fought for our city. You are not fine marble, but men, and, being men, hearing the words of Demosthenes, decrying the tyranny of Macedon, will make you mad. I do not want to be compelled to remind you of his words, of his valiant defense of our polis, yet I feel I should do justice by those honorable men who still seek to enslave us brave men known as citizens.

Look upon this parchment, one of the few that has survived the years. Look at the frayed edges, from the rough hidden space it was kept, to keep it away from well-beloved Antigonus. Look at the tears, as the Macedonians tried to rip out the words of Demosthenes, who cried out that it was better to lose in a glorious fight for freedom than it was to peacefully surrender ourselves to Macedon. See here a parchment which has struggled as much as any Athenian alive to cast off the shackles of tyranny!

Oh noble citizens, fellow men of Athens, I do not mean to drive you to revolt! The Antigonids are honorable men, and as the ghostly words of Demosthenes himself reminds us, we do not have the strength to rebel! We must build a third army if we are to strike the Macedonians and rebuild the old, glorious Athens- that is, were the Macedonians not honorable men.

Livewire42
Oct 2, 2013
Boats, boats and more boats, do whatever it takes to make the biggest, baddest fleet on the high seas.
Also; Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

DivineCoffeeBinge
Mar 3, 2011

Spider-Man's Amazing Construction Company
Upgrade that port. As Senator unwantedplatypus so wisely notes, a strong merchant fleet shall fill our coffers - and has not the Navy of the Athenes been forever beloved? Was it not instrumental in every height that Athens has scaled? Heed the words of dead Themistocles, my friends, and let us become the naval power that we deserve!

Klaus88
Jan 23, 2011

Violence has its own economy, therefore be thoughtful and precise in your investment
You're loving mad, especially with the Rome 2 province system and how it effects pretty borders. :allears:

MatchaZed
Feb 14, 2010

We Can Do It!

Gentlemen of the Athenian Senate, I thank you all for being here today. The first thing that we must decide for ourselves is how are we to decide what laws to pass or not pass in a given session? How are we to know which laws are to be voted on, and which ones are fanciful dreams shouted into the chamber by Cretans?

I suggest a system of law sponsorship. In order for a bill to be considered to be voted on, it requires two sponsors other than the bill proposer. Bills will then be voted on, though I don't know if it would be wise perhaps to limit the number of bills to be voted on each session. New bills will trump old bills, but no bill can trump the constitution. I am not currently aware of how long each Senate session is supposed to last, but I would assume that half of the time should be allowed for proposals, and half for voting. Each bill may be voted on in turn by all senators, and a simple majority of voters would be enough to pass a bill.

Does this sound acceptable to all of you? Or is there another system the Archon will have us follow?

Current proposals:

unwantedplatypus:
Upgrade the port (sponsored by DivineCoffeeBinge)
Name out first fleet Poseidon's Hardy Seamen

Ofaloaf:
Build a third army

Livewire42:
Build a giant fleet (sponsored by DivineCoffeeBinge)
Destroy Carthage

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

You're a lunatic, New Mars. :allears:

Out of curiousity, did you get this idea when I did the April Fools joke on doing a senatorial LP of Attila? Probably not, but I'd be flattered if it were so.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Mr.Morgenstern posted:

You're a lunatic, New Mars. :allears:

Out of curiousity, did you get this idea when I did the April Fools joke on doing a senatorial LP of Attila? Probably not, but I'd be flattered if it were so.

Klaus88 posted:

You're loving mad, especially with the Rome 2 province system and how it effects pretty borders. :allears:

Madness? Nonsense, what do you think we are, Spartans?

Well, that was one of them. Also, when kicking around ideas for an LP, I came up with two: one I deemed to be insane and unworkable and the other I thought relatively easy in comparison. This was the easy one. The insane one? A megacampaign based around me migrating the celts to Persia/Axum/Arabia or the Sahara and possibly back again in Attila.

Edit:

WilliamAnderson posted:

Gentlemen of the Athenian Senate, I thank you all for being here today. The first thing that we must decide for ourselves is how are we to decide what laws to pass or not pass in a given session? How are we to know which laws are to be voted on, and which ones are fanciful dreams shouted into the chamber by Cretans?

I suggest a system of law sponsorship. In order for a bill to be considered to be voted on, it requires two sponsors other than the bill proposer. Bills will then be voted on, though I don't know if it would be wise perhaps to limit the number of bills to be voted on each session. New bills will trump old bills, but no bill can trump the constitution. I am not currently aware of how long each Senate session is supposed to last, but I would assume that half of the time should be allowed for proposals, and half for voting. Each bill may be voted on in turn by all senators, and a simple majority of voters would be enough to pass a bill.

Does this sound acceptable to all of you? Or is there another system the Archon will have us follow?

Current proposals:

unwantedplatypus:
Upgrade the port (sponsored by DivineCoffeeBinge)
Name out first fleet Poseidon's Hardy Seamen

Ofaloaf:
Build a third army

Livewire42:
Build a giant fleet (sponsored by DivineCoffeeBinge)
Destroy Carthage

And as for this proposal: What do you think we are? A bunch of no-good republican Cretans? We are a democracy! For this law to come into action it must be voted upon like all others, for, after all, to merely assume this sort of legislative procedure without democratic support would fly in the face of what all good Athenians stand for! And we do not have Senators. What do you think we are? A bunch of barbaric latins? All who pay may vote!

:helladid:

NewMars fucked around with this message at 07:53 on Aug 12, 2016

Kayten
Jan 10, 2012

The tiniest of Tims!

Livewire42 posted:

Boats, boats and more boats, do whatever it takes to make the biggest, baddest fleet on the high seas.
Also; Ceterum censeo Carthaginem esse delendam

Get that filthy Roman poo poo outta here.

Athenians! War has brought us nothing but ruin. Our dead littered unknown fields, their innards devoured by crows. Our women wept for their sons and husbands. And for what? We have no new land, we have no gold. We gained nothing! We must never suffer such terrors again!

Peace, citizens, peace is what raises us above our cousins to the west. Let Sparta feed more children to its war machine, let Epirus fall on their own thrice-cursed arrows! Let Athenai stand as a beacon of prosperity, a god among the city states of Hellas!

Make no war, Demochares. At least, not until our armies outnumber all our rivals combined!

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Kayten posted:

Get that filthy Roman poo poo outta here.

Athenians! War has brought us nothing but ruin. Our dead littered unknown fields, their innards devoured by crows. Our women wept for their sons and husbands. And for what? We have no new land, we have no gold. We gained nothing! We must never suffer such terrors again!

Peace, citizens, peace is what raises us above our cousins to the west. Let Sparta feed more children to its war machine, let Epirus fall on their own thrice-cursed arrows! Let Athenai stand as a beacon of prosperity, a god among the city states of Hellas!

Make no war, Demochares. At least, not until our armies outnumber all our rivals combined!

On the contrary, we have much gold.

But not enough gold or land to support an army of such size.

Which brings me to an important point: When legislation conflicts, the one I like best wins.

YF-23
Feb 17, 2011

My god, it's full of cat!

Fellow Athenians, surely in this forum a lot of things will be said about our history. The glorious past of this city-state of ours shall certainly be brought up. People will recall with their minds events of ages long since gone, and through the lens of those would-be memories the dream of a brighter future will be weaved. And indeed perhaps, glory days do await us still. But while we can, through the histories, learn of the past, what we know most intimately and closely is the present. The current time is our home, and the status quo is more reliable than a visionary's projections. And in this present there is one well established rule: Athens is not great. Athens is not strong. Athens is weak. That is our place in the world.

The blunt reality is that Macedon has surpassed us wildly, and even after Alexander's death, remains the true centre of Hellenism. If Greece were a family, Athens would be a child and Macedonia a parent. And Greece is a family, and in a family the children should honour and respect their parents, who stand stronger and wiser than them. This is nothing to be ashamed of or to feel sadness for. This is not a role we have been forced into, a challenge we must surpass. It is rather our destiny to be fulfilled, our real place in the unfolding history that we must live up to. Thus for the good of our city, and for the good of all of Greece, I ask that we reaffirm our loyalty to Macedonia, and pursue a policy of keeping our diplomacy in alignment with Macedonian interests.

HiHo ChiRho
Oct 23, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

Friends! Citizens! Athenians! Give me a moment of your time! I just come to advise Athens, not to lead it.

We must build a third army if we are to strike the Macedonians and rebuild the old, glorious Athens- that is, were the Macedonians not honorable men.

Let's build the third army!

oscarthewilde
May 16, 2012

I would often go there
To the tiny church there
Fellow citizens of this beautiful city, we've all heard great speeches and great propositions today, propositions I wholeheartedly support. If we are to defend our fair democracy and our people, we must raise an army and build a navy, strengthen our walls and store our grain. Yet most of all we must protect ourselves from our own humanity. Was it not our hubris that led to our defeat against Sparta in that terrible Peloponnesian war? If we hadn't thwarted the laws of the gods by raiding Melos and attacking Syracuse, we could have defeated those uncultured swine that call themselves Greeks! Therefore I say that we must not build up a third army, not yet anyway, if only to protect against overextending our finances and armies, but we should focus our efforts on our existing fleets and armies, build them up first, before planning any great campaigns.

RowansWarden
Jun 3, 2013

Kayten posted:

I back the policy of peace with strength.

Mr.Morgenstern
Sep 14, 2012

What are these namby-pambies doing in our Senate? Back in my day, we didn't discuss how to be peaceful and loving to our neighbors. We beat them up for their gold and plunder. I say as soon as we build up enough forces, we go and knock some sense into the Epireans. And by knock some sense I mean add their lands to New Old Great Athenian Empire.

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
I am not the most informed or insightful Athenian but you must count my vote regardless because I am an adult male who owns land. I vote for boats. Boats early, boats often. I also propose that we research boats and port facilities and rename one of the armies Landfleet Infinity unless they embark upon the water at which time they should temporarily be renamed Waterfleet Minus until they arrive on land again.

I don't remember how to play this game and will probably get some most things mixed up with Attila.

Cathode Raymond fucked around with this message at 19:47 on Aug 12, 2016

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
*puts on a fake moustache and beard* Well, I'm definitely a freeborn Athenian man. Right? Theonoros of Athens-- that's me! Just manning it up. Women sure aren't people, right? Ha ha. That is the kinds of things we think here, in Athens.

Anyway, of all of the speeches members of the assembly have given so far, I'm most convinced by my good friend and fellow citizen Ofalofos'. We must build a third army. This is an age of empires, and as recent history has shown, a polis needs to be able to defend its independence with iron and steel.

Empress Theonora fucked around with this message at 19:21 on Aug 12, 2016

Mirdini
Jan 14, 2012

Fellow citizens! While I am sympathetic to your calls for a return to the naval prowess our fair polis possessed in the past, are we not forgetting a more fundamental tenet of our society? Is Athens not the foremost pioneer of culture, learning, philosophy in the Hellenic world--nay--the world as a whole?

I motion that we focus our intellectual efforts solely on the pursuit of Philosophy until we are once again indisputably the cultural center of the world ((in practice, rush to researching at least the Natural Philosophy tech)).

Of course, we must ensure that these efforts are not unappreciated by our fellow Hellenes - we must bring them under our benevolent rule so that they might enjoy the spoils of our cultural nous. As such, I support allowing the Epirotes to be the first to enjoy that privilege.

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
Let The Third Army be created with all due haste and speed!

AnAnonymousIdiot
Sep 14, 2013

Considering all the plans we have made We should get a third army ready, and make haste towards Land Reclamation.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
So that it is known to all: :siren:Policy Proposals Close in Six Hours (Give or take)!:siren:

HOTLANTA MAN
Jul 4, 2010

by Hand Knit
Lipstick Apathy

Macho Man Randius Savagus of Athens posted:

Let the creeeammmm of the Mediterranean rise to the top, oh yeah. Let us POINT. TO THE CREATION OF A THIRD ARMY to let Athens become the CREAM OF THE CROP OOOHHHH YEAH

Mechanical Ape
Aug 7, 2007

But yes, occasionally I am known to smash.
If we would be a mighty naval power, then we must have naval dominions.

Athenian citizens, let us cheer the populace and exercise the sinews of our soldiers. Let us augment our possessions by adding first Crete and then Rhodes to them. Let their wealth become ours -- before it becomes our rivals'.

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

Mechanical Ape posted:

If we would be a mighty naval power, then we must have naval dominions.

Athenian citizens, let us cheer the populace and exercise the sinews of our soldiers. Let us augment our possessions by adding first Crete and then Rhodes to them. Let their wealth become ours -- before it becomes our rivals'.

This seems like a decent proposal, however, I do not believe for a moment that our Macedonian overlords would allow us to expand without their say-so. Therefore we must first free Athens from Macedonian control as soon as is feasible. Additionally, as information is one of the greatest weapons of men, I propose that we send our current agent to scout out the surrounding areas, provided they are not needed elsewhere.

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
It seems that we must create a Third Army to fulfill our eventual goal of destroying Sparta.

monster on a stick fucked around with this message at 21:58 on Aug 12, 2016

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
:siren: 30 Minutes until policy proposals and and voting begins :siren:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Gentlemen of the assembly, with the voting period soon upon us, I implore you all to favor expansion of the army over the navy. The Peloponnesian War demonstrated well that even with all the naval power of the Delian League at our disposal, triremes cannot man city walls. Rule of the seas means nothing if we cannot secure our borders (and cast off the Macedonian yoke!) on land, and we are far from that point.

Quite frankly, I have some suspicions about some of the Pseudo-Themistocleans agitating for the expansion of naval power above all else- one them had his mask slip and started speaking in barbarian Latin, even.

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013
:siren: Okay, policy proposals over, voting's about to start.:siren:

NewMars
Mar 10, 2013

Now that our democracy has been served with some very reasonable and some er.. more inexplicable proposals... It's time to explain how this all works.

- Redundant parts of later proposals are folded into earlier ones.

- Voting is in this format: each proposal shall have a number representing it. Each proposal must be voted on and these votes should be bolded and in this format:

1. Yes

2. no

3. abstain

4. Yes

Now, for a few clarifications: First, you can vote to change the constitution, but the magistrates (I. E. me) hold the power of veto. Second, you can repeal any existing legislation with a vote. Third, a vote failing to pass doesn't mean that I have to to the opposite. For example, if there was a bill demanding that I take a warlike stance towards a nation and it fails to pass, I may still declare war upon them and drive them to destruction if I wish, unless a policy proposal forbidding that passes instead. Now, for the proposed legislation:

Proposed Legislation

1. Upgrade the port in Athens

2. Rename our first fleet "Poseidon's Hardy Seamen"

3. Build a third army.

4. Do whatever it takes to make our navy the greatest, just the best.

5. Carthage must be destroyed.

6. Vote reform: "In order for a bill to be considered to be voted on, it requires two sponsors other than the bill proper. Bills will then be voted on. New bills will trump old bills, but no bill can trump the constitution. Each bill may be voted on in turn by all senators, and a simple majority of voters would be enough to pass a bill."

7. Reaffirm our loyalty to Macedonia, and pursue a policy of keeping our diplomacy in alignment with Macedonian interests.

8. Build up the fleet and armies before fighting any great campaigns..

9. Crush the Epirotes.

10. Focus on naval technology.

11. Rename one of the armies Landfleet Infinity unless they embark upon the water at which time they should temporarily be renamed Waterfleet Minus until they arrive on land again.

12. Focus all our efforts on philosophy, rushing Natural Philosophy.

13. Rush Land Reclaimation.

14. Annex Crete and Rhodes

15. Free Athens from Macedonian Control as soon as Feasible.

16. Use our agent to scout out nearby areas.

Current Legislation

None

Repealed Legislation

Also none.

Now, being as I am a :10bux: paying citizen and therefore am entitled to a vote, I shall use it thusly:

1. Abstain

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Abstain

5. No

6. Yes

7. No

8. No

9. Yes

10. Abstain

11. No

12. Abstain

13. Abstain

14. Yes

15. Yes

16. Yes

And finally, a voting template, for you, the lazy.

code:
[b]1.

16.[/b]
:siren: The voting period is between 24-48 hours :siren:

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

1. No

2. Abstain

3. Yes

4. No

5. No
what is this Latin barbarity doing here anyways

6. Yes

7. No

8. No

9. Yes

10. No

11. Abstain

12. No

13. No

14. Yes

15. YES

16. Yes

Grizzwold
Jan 27, 2012

1. Yes

2. Abstain

3. Yes

4. No

5. No

6. No

7. No

8. Yes

9. Abstain

10. Abstain

11. No

12. Abstain

13. Abstain

14. Yes

15. Yes

16. Yes

monster on a stick
Apr 29, 2013
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Abstain

5. Yes

6. No

7. Yes

8. No

9. Yes

10. No

11. No

12. No

13. Yes

14. Yes

15. Yes

16. Yes

Cathode Raymond
Dec 30, 2015

My antenna is telling me that you're probably wrong about this.
Soiled Meat
1. Yes

2. Yes

3. Yes

4. Yes

5. No

6. Yes

7. NO

8. Yes

9. Yes

10. Yes

11. YES

12. No

13. No

14. Yes

15. Yes

16. Yes

sniper4625
Sep 26, 2009

Loyal to the hEnd
1. No

2. Abstain

3. Yes

4. No

5. No

6. Yes

7. No

8. No

9. Yes

10. No

11. Abstain

12. No

13. No

14. Yes

15. YES

16. Yes

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Empress Theonora
Feb 19, 2001

She was a sword glinting in the depths of night, a lance of light piercing the darkness. There would be no mistakes this time.
1. No

2. No

3. Yes

4. No

5. No

6. Yes

7. No

8. No

9. Yes

10. No

11. Yes

12. Abstain