Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
OCC Thread

It's a dark, dim alley way in the middle of a stormy night. The buildings aren't tall, but give enough shade for what someone has planned. A man in robes walks behind a rather nice looking store, a place of fine jewerly fit for a king. As a matter of fact, the king and the nobility tend to be its only customers, as one may expect.

The man grins as he gets close. A glint in his eyes and a demon's smile. A green aura surrounds him and morphs into a caterpillar of unusual size.

Dripping with acidic slavia, it begins to chomp away at the wall.

"Just a little longer and I hit paydirt," the robed geezer starts, "The giver gets his cut, but, drat, am I not going to love this! Jewels! Gold! All mine!"

That is, when a familiar group of cops arrive.

Stanley Pibblewiff, are you even here? If so, how you handling this? If not, what are you doing? Regardless, what mundane thing lead to you realize what kind of dream power the perpetrator had?

Crêpes Suzette, how are you holding your own power-wise? You keeping the temperature low? Regardless, what setback did you get into during into your investigation?

Tabitha Poirot, is this unorthdox for the dream corps? For someone so big (at least when it comes to power manifestation) to be the baddie? Or someone so boisterous? Regardless, how did one of your contacts/experience in the field help you get the time and place of this attack?

Sagacity Wise, you've been a criminal? Dealt in dream crime, maybe? How many other joints has this bloke robbed in the last month? How did you know it was all him?

Madeleine Petit, why are you running to catch up with the rest of the dream corps? What did they do back at base that made you have to ask them something in person and how does this give away everyone's position to the caterpillar guy?

Conrad Edwards, you're a detective. How did you figure out what his next robbery was going to be? How did you predict his next target out of the myraid of shops and exotic merchants all over town?

Yeah, we're doing medias res, but I couldn't think of anything else. Not super anime, but, hey, Soul Eater kind of did it. Anyway, a joint scene building might help us get this thing off on the right foot.

Covok fucked around with this message at 04:31 on Aug 27, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

"Today I will cause problems on purpose"

"Of course I am here, after all it's my job to be one step ahead of the criminal element!"

And it is for this reason that Stanley is inside the vault right now, on suggestion of his comrade in arms Sagacity Wise in order to catch this miscreant in the act. Although he was very unsure why she followed that up with a muttered conversation to the rest of his adopted team about 'live bait' after he had agreed to stay the night in the store. Just for security reasons of course, the owner had been a bit resistant at first but calm words from Tabitha had swayed him to assist in this sting.

At this moment with the amazing power of 20/20 hindsight, Stanley found himself watching the slowly melting wall in front of him as the giant caterpillar secreted it's way into the jewel vault, and realized that maybe making sure the door was securely locked from the outside was a very bad idea.

He had felt pretty good when he helped figure out the perp's powers, and all he really had to do on that front was collect the unusual slime left at the scene of the perp's last crime, and called on a favor from an old friend in the Old Neo Tokyo Forensics Laboratory to take a look at the substance. Through their perceptive rituals and strange alchemys they had determined the substance to be incredibly similar to the kind of secretions from the common 'Wall Burrower Caterpillar that is quite the pest in the summer time in Old Neo Tokyo. This would explain how the perp was able to break into even fortified vaults without any traces of expended magic or blasting powder, it is merely a result of a natural ability available to a common insect, with increased potency due to it's increased size.

It's very increased size. Some might say, gigantic size. Seeing the power in use up close was upsetting him very much at this point.

He really hopes the rest of the Dream Corp's gets here soon.

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 23:55 on Aug 12, 2016

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

after a great meal i like to lie on the ground and feel like garbage

"Hold it, criminal!"

A streak of blue cut through the air, landing a solid hit on the giant caterpillar before bouncing up onto the shop's roof. The figure, now revealed to be Crêpes, slowly turned to face the caterpillar and the old geezer. She dramatically posed, sheathed in flames. "Dream Division, Detective-Constable Crêpes Suzette. Fired up and ready to fight!"

『FAHRENHEIT 451』 roared, the flames intensifying around her. He had been in... high spirits since the incident at the library. Crêpes knew she'd need to up her training regiment to keep up with this newfound enthusiasm. The library. Why, of all places, did Tabitha send her there? Sure, she had been right on the money about the geezer's contacts using it as a rally point, but uh. Libraries tend towards being extremely flammable.

----

Earlier at the library...

Crêpes buried her face in her hands as she looked at the burning wreckage of the Triumph Library's west wing. They just had to do it the hard way. Always the hard way. The two men she had been ordered to apprehend lay next to her, slightly smoking but alive. She had everything under control and successfully not on fire, but then one of them pulled out some sort of alchemist's creation and threw it at her. 『FAHRENHEIT 451』, as is his way, shielded her from the blast with a flaming barrier. The explosive the man had thrown was very powerful, however, and ignited several of the shelves nearby. One thing led to another and then...well. It could have been worse? The library did only lose one wing.

C O N S U M E

"I don't even want to hear it!" snapped Crêpes, "You already ate most of the books. You don't need to eat the criminals."

---

Crêpes sighed. The letter that had swiftly arrived back at HQ had informed her, in incredibly polite language, that she was henceforth banned from all libraries. Not just in the city. All of the libraries.

Crêpes Suzette posted:

Name: Crêpes Suzette
Literary Aspect: 『FAHRENHEIT 451』
Playbooks: The Tireless, The Host
Look: Woman, Ostentatious Clothes, Slightly Inhuman Look

---

Tireless Moves

Demon’s Grin: When you run headlong at your opponent with no consideration for yourself, roll serious battle. Regardless of the result, get an additional choice from the 9+ options. On a 9+, you also break their defense and get a tie on everyone present.

New Heights: When you learn the existence of an opponent who is significantly stronger than you, train and roll 2d6. On a 9+, choose 2. On a 6,7,8, choose 1:
  • You become frustrated at yourself for being so weak and lash out: you’re inspired when you use battle moves against them until the end of your next fight against them.
  • You refuse to let yourself be beaten: ignore harm against the source once in your next fight against them.
  • You’re excited to know there is still a challenge out there and things to explore: you’re inspired to prove them wrong.
  • You realize, begrudgingly, this is more than you can handle: +1 ongoing to help people against the source until you best it.
Host Moves

Parasite: A beast lives inside you and calls your soul its home. It’s not under your control, as much as you wish it was. If this is not your main effort playbook, you may only take one feature, your choice, and it unmarks at the end of the session.

Parasite’s Features:
Elemental, Scary, Hungry, Short Temper.

Parasite Moves:
High-Speed Regeneration: Mark a feature to heal harm. (You do not take harm when triggering this Parasite move.)

Berserk: When you’re Knocked Out, you don’t need to check your Dead box to reset your condition tracker down to ready. Instead, you can let the beast take control. You still play your character, but you remain berserk and dangerous until someone can calm you down or knock you out and you will lash out at them like a wild beast.

Techniques

First Form: "The Hearth and the Salamander" --- 1 Tension --- [=]Flashy, Elaborate; [-]Close-Up; [+]On Fire, Off Balance.

Crêpes cloaks a fist in azure flames and slams it into the opponent. The impact leaves them reeling and covered in flames.

Second Form: "The Sieve and the Sand" --- 2 Tension --- [=]Flashy, Rapid-Fire; [-]On Fire, Off Balance; [+]On Fire, Off Balance, Blocked, Primed to Explode.

Crêpes takes advantage of the opponent's condition to send the flames covering them throughout the opponent's energy channels, blocking their techniques and leaving them vulnerable to her strongest technique.

Third Form: "Burning Bright" --- 4 Tension --- [=]Flashy, Menacing, Brutal; [-]On Fire, Primed to Explode; [+]On Fire, Off Balance, Blocked, Primed to Explode, Blinded, Shattered Defenses.

Flames lick out from inside her body as Crêpes explodes into a creature of azure flames. She cuts through the air and unleashes a brutal combination of strikes and flame blasts that causes the energy she planted earlier to explode throughout the opponent's body.

FINAL FORM: BRIGHT PHOENIX

---

Ties

Someone here is stronger than you and you know it. You’ve seen it and it makes a fire burn in your soul. Who is it? They get a tie on you.

Someone here looks up to your spirit: your determination. Who is it? You get a tie on them.

Friendship Move

When you train with another, they hold 1. They can spend that hold to mark experience and gain +1 ongoing against an opponent until the end of battle.

Enemy Move

If someone holds you back in your training or in battle, lose your holds with them.

---

Victory

Whenever you roll a 5- on a move, you get experience.

You mark experience when you first trigger any of the three moves you choose in a session.

>Charge into battle alongside another.
>You train alongside another.
>You are harmed protecting someone you care about.

Tricky fucked around with this message at 22:37 on Aug 13, 2016

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Conrad Edwards
Scene Music - Runs through 2:18.

Conrad is leaning against wall, hidden in shadow from the would-be robber. He speaks up, his voice carrying over the din, "You know, you really are simple minded." Stepping out into the moonlit alley, visible to all present he continues. "Your obsession with famous jewels really is a bit too much. All I had to do was spread a rumor that the crown jewels were being cleaned here tonight and your appearance was guaranteed."

With a gesture, Conrad summons the armored belt that permits him to don the Armor of Camelot. He points at the would-be robber, "It's time to take you in. One way or another. Transform." When he speaks the command, he is surrounded by light and a moment later stands the shining knight that had proven many a criminal's downfall.

Valhawk fucked around with this message at 07:48 on Aug 13, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Tabitha Poirot

Ah, the folly of youth. So brash, always thinking bigger is better. Although I've certainly never seen one this big. The attitude is all too familiar, though. As the rest of the Corps (and dear Mr. Edwards) confront the criminal, I keep watch from a nearby rooftop, 『And Then There Were None』 drawn and ready. I'm not one to get directly into the fray of things if it's not necessary anymore. My old bones simply can't take it, perhaps. Ho ho.

The sting is going exactly as planned, though. All I had to do was get in touch with my contact on the street, Constantine, and he had the entire game plan of this robbery to me by supper. I couldn't tell you how many times I've arrested poor Constantine. So many times, that when I offered him amnesty for acting as my liaison, he accepted just to get me out of his hair for once.

Now that the gears have been set in motion, we just need to see if things keep going to plan. I do feel for poor Stanley, but the boy needs to get a taste of real danger if he is to be a good officer. It might even awaken something in him. Ho ho.

quote:

Literary Aspect: And Then There Were None
Playbooks: Experienced, Mentor
Look: Woman, Unremarkable clothing, Elderly look

Mentor Moves

Master and Student:
Pick one the PCs to be your pupil, with their approval. If this PC dies or retires, you can choose a new pupil. You always consider your pupil to be a friend no matter what they do. (TBD)

Forbidden Techniques: You know a set of forbidden techniques. These techniques have no tags and can be used at any tension level. These techniques can be called upon when you need them to give you an edge. When you use one of these techniques, mark the technique and you take a 6+ on your next move. When a session ends, unmark your techniques. When you die or retire, your student gains this move, but only chooses 1 of the 3 you originally chose.

Respect Your Elders: When you prove someone wrong, you also inflict a condition.

Experienced Moves:

Friend In High (Or Low) Places: When you need something and look towards old friends, roll 2d6. On a 6+, there is someone who has what you need. On a 6,7,8, choose 1:
- They are busy with some serious issues
- It’s going to cost you

Techniques:

Ten Little Soldiers 0 Tension (Bland =, Aimed -, Broken +)

A concussive gunshot with the ability to shatter bone.

Nine Little Soldiers 1 Tension (Rapid Fire =, Charge Up -, Shattered Defenses +, Dazed +)

A barrage of shots that can break through most guards.

Eight Little Soldiers 1 Tension (Invisible =, Limited Use -, Charge Up -, Armor +, Blocked +, Powerful +)

A transformation that causes Poirot's body to become strong as iron.

Seven Little Soldiers 2 Tension (Cool =, Flashy =, Wounded -, Material -, Speedy +, Dazed +, Surprising +, Binded +)

Poirot can turn her blood into devastating binding bullets.

Six Little Soldiers 2 Tension (Menacing =, Far Away -, Stealthy +, Enhanced Sense +, Accurate +)

A technique that allows Poirot to snipe targets from far away without being seen.

Five Little Soldiers FORBIBBEN

Poirot shoots at the ground and creates a crack in the Earth.

Four Little Soldiers FORBIBBEN

A flaming shot that engulfs the area in fire.

Three Little Soldiers FORBIBBEN

A shot that becomes a miniature black hole, drawing all to it.

Ties:

Everyone respects you in some way, even if they often get annoyed with your antics. Get a tie on everyone.

You just want to retire to someone quiet. Maybe to finally write that book or drink until you pass on to a better place. Someone is dragging you out of that dream, someone who is like the child you never had. Who is it? They get a tie on you.

Friendship Move:

When someone trains under your guidance, hold 1. You can spend that hold to treat the PC as your Student. If they are your student, you can spend that hold to make them feel inspired until the end of the scene.

Enemy Move:

If someone corrupts the wisdom you impart to your students, lose your holds with them.

Victory:

You mark experience when you first trigger any of the three moves you choose in a session.
-You step aside and let another stand on their own two feet
-You get respect for your maturity
-You continue battling when on your last legs

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Curses from all directions!

With a flick of her tail, Sagacity makes an amused sound as she casually rounds the corner, closing off one possible avenue of exit. This was unexpected. Suze, as the fox girl had grown fond of calling her, had decided to kick things into high gear by directly confronting the man she'd been tracking for weeks now: Papilio. She couldn't allow herself to be one-upped so early on in her new career, what would Agent Wagnard say? Rad (as she had grown fond of calling him) further upped the ante with his flashy kind of display.

She hadn't really expected he would do so, but Stanley (whom she's been seemingly unable to come up with a satisfying nickname for thus far) had obliged her strategy with an eagerness she hadn't expected. Then again, like her, he seemed to have a lot to prove, and also like her, he'd also be blocking off an escape route.

It had taken a lot of convincing to set up this sting, and initially the High Constable had refused to even entertain the idea. So strongly that when she eventually came back with approval, Sagacity was surprised. Papilio was a force to be reckoned with in the Capital for as long as she could remember, an ambitious but revolting man she'd taken to calling Slime. Among the Vainglorious criminal underground he hadn't exactly been a popular figure, and he tended to operate alone. He'd been responsible for exactly three other robberies this month alone, his unmistakable calling card being the icky residue left behind by his acidic attacks. The fact that he himself was the caterpillar surprised the girl, who up until now thought he'd relied on giant caterpillar pets to do the deed.

"Once you're off the streets, it'll be easier to clean them, Slime, " Sagacity boldly called out as she calmly approached the criminal. She hadn't yet drawn her weapon, but it wasn't far from her hand. Papilio was successful for a reason, and it would be dangerous to underestimate him.

Sagacity Stat Thingy posted:

Look: Woman, Bright Clothing, Out-of-Place Look
Playbooks: The Forever Young, The Direct
Literary Aspect: The Tale of Genji

Forever Young Moves
A Shining Light: When you prove someone wrong, you can take an additional option, regardless of your result, and take an option twice.
Bottomless Stomach: When you gorge yourself with a ludicrous amount of food, roll 2d6. On a 9+, you are fully satiated: hold 2. On a 6,7,8, you’re only a little full: hold 1. You can spend these holds to heal harm until the end of your next big fight.

Direct Move
This May Cost Me My Life: When you are in a serious battle, you may also deal harm to yourself to deal harm to any opponent, regardless of the result.

Victory Moves

Ignore obligations to engage in vices.
You train alongside another.
Spout a sappy, but heart filled speech.

Ties
1) Your beaming personality touches everyone. Get a tie on everyone except one. Who is it and why does your personality not affect them?
2) You might not be flashy, but you’re efficient (and maybe badass and stylish to boot). Not many people are like that in the world and someone in the group admires your precision. Who is it? You get a tie on them.

Friendship Move
When someone gets in a friendly competition with you, hold 1. You can spend that hold to appear in a battle that person is in, if you are not present. If you do, immediately take control of the battle.

Enemy Move
If someone seriously harms your friends, lose your holds with them.

Techniques

A Beloved Pillar of Cypress - Sagacity's signature move is fast and simple, drawing her sword and simultaneously striking with her weapon's hilt, knocking them back, and finishing by bringing her weapon to bear.
Bland=, Close-Up-, Dazed+, Sword+, Tension 1

The Wind in the Pines - A series of strikes so quick, they twist and warp the air itself into sharp edges that lash Sagacity's foes.
Rapid Fire=, Cool=, Sword-, Speedy+, Powerful+, Tension 1

The First Song of Spring - A powerful assault intended to overwhelm and disable a foe.
Menacing=, Brutal=, Cool=, Close-Up-, Sword-, Broken+, Dazed+, Blocked+, Tension 1

Ultimate:The Floating Bridge of Dreams

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I wanna be a saikyo HERO!

They had questioned the old man, but there wasn't much sign he'd witnessed anything, at first. That thing he threw away was odd, but then Madeleine got a better look at it, she had to tell them. Hiking up her skirts a bit, she'd hurried through the town to find the rest of the Corps.

Running up to Stanley, she holds a bundle, waving with her free hand. "Agent! Look what I found!" She opens up the bundle, revealing an shedded exoskeleton of some caterpillar. "It was the old man all along, he-" She freezes, looking over to the caterpillar as it looms above. "- oh. He's already here! So you can arrest him already, huh? Easy." She looks to the other, apparently not having come to terms with the massive insect just nearby. Or the element of surprise. Mind, Crêpes already busted that up, but Madeleine just dragged the rest of the cats out of the bag. "Oh, and I brought muffins!", she adds.

Of course she brought muffins.

pre:
Name: Madeleine Petit
Look:

Literary Aspect: Mary Poppins	Friendship: The Straight Man	Effort: The Relentless

Moves

In Distress: Any battle you enter starts at or increases its Tension by 1.

Grow Up!: When you attack a friend or teammate to set them straight, roll 2d6. On a 9+, choose 2. On a 6,7,8, choose 1:
  • They look like an absolute fool in front of others.
  • You manage to hurt them: they take harm.
  • You’re frustrated and in a frenzy: you are inspired.
  • You choose who comes out looking like the responsible one: get a tie on them.
  • On a 5-, you still smack them good, but you leave yourself open.
There’s No Way To Beat Them!: When tension hits 2, you inflict a condition based on fear, intimidation, etc. on all of your opponents. Friendship Move: When you come to rely on someone’s sanity in this mad world, hold 1. You can spend this hold to feel inspired when you fight alongside them or protect them. Enemy Move: If someone makes you look like a fool, lose your holds with them. Victory Move: Whenever you roll a 5- on a move, you get experience. You mark experience when you first trigger any of the three following moves you choose in a session.
  • Do something against your nature for someone you care about.
  • Spout a sappy, but heart filled speech.
  • You stop/hurt someone for being silly or stupid.
Ties Someone here has a crush on you. It could be your crush and you’re both too shy, or it could be someone else. Who is it? You get a tie on them. No woman is an island and the strongest, sturdiest of people have a soft side somewhere. Someone knows your soft side well. Who is it? They get a tie on you. Techniques Cheerful Coercion Aura: Usually, her sheer spiritual pressure is enough to give a lot of people pause. Though she may be smiling, the eyeglint of a threat remains. Look Tags Requirement Tags Output Tags Invisible Far-Away Daze Menacing Powerful Frustration's Flailing Fists: Practically pinwheeling at her target, Madeleine keeps her opponent off-balance with a rare but unrestrained display of annoyance and anger. Look Tags Requirement Tags Output Tags Humorous Close-Up Dazed Rapid-Fire Battering Embarrassing Nonsensical Might Smite: Slamming into her target, they're sent flying and rebounding off of objects until they run out out a level of momentum that defies physics. She doesn't usually seem that strong... Look Tags Requirement Tags Output Tags Flashy Close-Up Binding Humorous Broken Menacing Dazed Knockback

Covok
May 27, 2013

Yet where is that woman now? Tell me, in what heave does she reside? None of them. Because no God bothered to listen or care. If that is what you think it means to be a God, then you and all your teachings are welcome to do as that poor women did. And vanish from these realms forever.
Let's start things off with a few soft moves. Yeah, I know I shouldn't say this, but this is a playtest

A panel closes up on his shocked expression as he cries "Dream corps!?" The next panel closes in on his terrified eye.

Then, a double-sized panel fills the bottom of the page: a far away, less-detailed panel with a confused chibi-robber going "who are the Dream corps?"

Refocusing on a panel with his catepillar looming behind him, "Well, whoever you dreamers are, I think I'll take you out quietly before the town guard gets here and makes things messy."

Focusing on his accusing hand and smug face, "I'll think I'll start with slime-chan over there" Clearly, a bad go at the "I know you are, but what am I" come back.

A doublepanel shows the catepillar shooting forward at Sagacity Wise. [/i]Dodge or get hit by its charge.[/i]

Meanwhile, inside the vault, the acid-covered wall has fallen inwards and acid is pouring over the floor. Stanely, you're at risk of being melted

Following back from the cuttaway, the panel focuses on the acid dripping from its jaw that goes flying off and seems to be falling towards an alley cat in the vicinity. Will anyone save this creature?

Unfortunately, the one-on-group dynamic means I can't think of anything specific for everyone else to engage with. But, hey, the cat is in danger and it seems like everyone is engagging in a battle as a result of the robber's brazeness with control going to the first person who wants to act (decide that amongst yourselves). If it isn't sagacity who takes control first, then her dodge was probably something in the background while you engaged with the beast, panel-layout-wise. You know, to help keep the image.

Also, how is the panel-focused description? Thought it might help.

Here is the move list

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Exploding into action, Crêpes leapt from the shop's roof and delivered a flaming kick to the giant caterpillar's face. As it reeled back, she posed dramatically atop the beast's head and pointed at the old man, "Come on then! I'll show you the power of 『FAHRENHEIT 451』!"

As the flames exploded up around her, she concentrated them all back into her fist which began to shine with a bright azure light. "Get ready to burn! The Hearth and the Salamander!" Her fist slammed into the giant insect like the fist of an angry god. Flames exploded forth and coursed along the giant caterpillar's body.

quote:

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 5:39 PM
@Tricky you rolled 6, 1 for a total of 7.

Picking to break their defenses with Demon's Grin (+1 harm) and Make Them Fall For It! as my 6-8.

2 harm, +1 tension (to 2), and...

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 5:43 PM
@Tricky you rolled 5, 3 for a total of 8.

I'll give the caterpillar the conditions "Off Balance" and "On Fire."

Sagacity, you're up!

Tricky fucked around with this message at 03:05 on Aug 20, 2016

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Rushing in to save the cat, Madeleine pauses as the droplets hover in slow-time, realizing she has nothing to shield the cat with.

Except, you know. Herself.

She doesn't slow down, though, moving to try and intercept the cat before the deadly slobber does.

Only rolled a 6 for Dodge, but I'll just take whatever consequences come down to rescue the cat if possible.

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

If there had been time for hindsight, Sagacity probably should have reflected on how she could have been better prepared for Papilio to act so quickly, but fortunately there was no such time. The fox-eared woman had instead elected to make a confident, dismissive 'tch' noise and was halfway through a stride closer to the felon when she suddenly found a steam of acidic goo headed her way, forcing her to rapidly formulate a new course of action: veering to one side!

The act itself seemed much cooler in her head than it was when she actually followed through!

A debut most average! Rolled a 7! Gimme the bad news!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Crepes

As the flaming fist slammed into the caterpillar's face, one could see a wince and burn forming on the robber's face. "Ah, poo poo, you piece of poo poo!," he cried out.

Madeline

Your heroics will surely not be forgotten by the cat as you land on top of it: between it and the glob. The acid sears through your clothing and burns the first layer of your skin. This is a manga, though, so it just looks like a lot of scratch marks and some darker coloring with a little smoke coming off for effect. I mean, it sure as poo poo hurt like hell, though.

take harm: boring, but let's keep it simple for now. Besides, it flowed from the fiction.

Sagacity Wise

Sagacity, you also have control so you can do a battle move

After getting taken off course by crepes' punch, the caterpillar was no longer shooting forward like a bullet. Instead, it was flying forward like a crashing train. The side of its body collided with sagacity's face. Both of them went flying. Soon, sagacity found herself underneath the caterpillar's large mass. It was rather constricting, suffocating, and humiliating.

Condition added on Sagacity: Under the Caterpillar

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Under the caterpillar! Then, suddenly, not under the caterpillar!

"Tch. Embarrassing, " the girl with the now slightly-swolen reddish cheek remarks, continuing with renewed vigor, "but not as embarrassing as it'll be for you!"

Sagacity wasn't just pinned under the giant insect, she'd rolled backwards as it collided with her! In falling backwards with the assault she'd lodged her feet squarely underneath the monstrosity's belly, and as her back landed on the street she used the creature's still-existing momentum against it to keep it going, kicking with both feet to send the vile beast flying off in an unexpected direction! Namely a heap of trash bags and an overflowing dumpster!

Rolling back onto her feet, Sagacity looks a little dismayed, muttering something about how falling onto one's back when having a tail tended to hurt and that not-tail-having people were lucky. Undoubtedly there would be a bag of ice for her butt in the future, but not until this matter was settled.

"The jig is up," the young woman boldly proclaims with a confident flick of her tail (ow! ow!), "you're surrounded!"

Sagacity uses You Fell For It and manages to just scrape by with a roll of 6! Success enough! The 'Under the caterpillar' condition is removed! Control is ceded to Conrad!

Valhawk
Dec 15, 2007

EXCEED CHARGE
Conrad Edwards
Theme

Charging forwards while the creature is distracted attacking Sagacity, Conrad attempts to attack the dream-user. However, the thief notices the armored fighter approaching, and Conrad's flurry of punches and kicks connects with the beast instead, doing virtually no damage. Instead it is the knight who is thrown off balance, and then thrown back into a nearby wall, allowing the thief to make his move.

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 7:29 PM: @Valhawk you rolled 3, 2 for a total of 5. I miss, so I take 1 Harm and the Tension increases by 1 if I'm reading this correctly.

pre:
Conrad's Status
Conditions:
Harm:  1/6
Tension:4/6 
Control goes to the Thief

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

Status Track: Dirty

Madeleine winces as she's burned, but the little calico stray is safe atop her basket of pastries. The pastries are also safe. She looks down at her burned clothing - though not that burned, this isn't that kind of manga, gosh - and then glares over to the oversized beast.

Let me know if Tension is a thing right now, because if so I might have a thing, but if it's not a thing I don't got a thing.

Covok
May 27, 2013

Tension is a thing. It went up with every move. So, it's 4.

Status Track: First Blood

The caterpillar rolls like a freight train into the trash bags. Knocked off balance by Sagacity's kick, the caterpillar seems dizzied and confused.

"Aw jeez, this is just not going as planned." Rubbing his face with his palm, he continues "You 'dream corps' certainly are willing to pull out the stops to stop some random criminal." Pointing at Sagacity, "And you are really a thorn in my side, tail-chan." With an evil gleam in his eyes, he follows up with "Well, I got a few tricks up my sleave."

The caterpillar explodes into acid that begins to flood the floor of the alley.

He adds a condition to the area: acid covered alley

Anyone who wants to avoid the acid and leave the alley must dodge, those who don't take 1 harm, but risk no further problems. It is dangerous to stay in the alley until this condition vanishes.

Next Up: Madeleine

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Crêpes grinned as the acid flowed towards her. She waggled a finger at the old man, "You think this is enough to slow me down? Think again, gramps!" As the acid was about to touch her shoes, Crêpes jumped up between the walls with a few acrobatic flourishes and landed softly next to Tabitha.

Crêpes looked over at Tabitha, cracking her knuckles, "Hm, I was hoping for a bit more out of this guy. Is he really the big bad jewel thief? He's not exactly putting up much of a fight."

quote:

Dodge!

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 3:12 PM
@Tricky you rolled 6, 5 for a total of

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As the acid splashes down, Madeleine puts the on her head, calling out, "Hold on, kitty!", and then and kicks over a garbage can. Hopping onto the can, the acid washes around her, and she glares at the man. Folding her arms, she frowns sternly and sincerely, taking on the pose of justice... with her cat on her head. "How could you! He's just a cat! For you, there will be No Forgiveness!" Yeah, only she could manage to look serious in a feline headpiece.

The Dodge is a 7, but There’s No Way To Beat Them! will have triggered to inflict an Intimidated condition on the baddie. Once I know how the Dodge goes, I'll get on with my move!

Covok
May 27, 2013

Alright, you get on the garbage can and keep the kitten on your head, but...

as you do, the muffins you were carrying fall into the acid and burn to goo. You worked so hard on them too! You wanted to share them with your friends. How tragic!

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Harm: 1

The burning acid from the caterpillar's remains burn at her heels and it doesn't tickle, Sagacity's expression however isn't one of distress, it's one of steadfast determination! She couldn't flee now, she had to hold her ground and prevent the criminal's escape!

"Slime-chan, tail-chan, make up your mind," the fox-eared girl chided with bravado! But inwardly she hoped this would be over while she still had feet. She liked having feet. Having to replace her boots was already going to be expensive enough!

Sagacity tanks that poo poo and takes the harm because she's a warrior of justice that needs to prove herself!

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

As the muffins fall in slow motion, Madeleine reaches out slowly for them, teering, but their lives are lost in the service of the guard. Fallen soldiers, one and all.

Then, she rises up, the acid below her rippling under the weight of her spirit, before actually shifting away from her as she glares at the crim, waves of energy staring to flow off of her in curls. "You... you're ruining everything!" The cat arches, before hiding behind her. Clenching her fist, the garbage can actually starts to crumble as if under a weight. "Is this what you took the power for? Just to ruin people's days?!"

Well, looks like she's had more than enough.

Going to try to Prove Them Wrong, and rolling a 6. Tension rises by 1 and I'll take "They will change their beliefs after the battle".

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

I'll also have Stanley go next!

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Condition: Ready, Experience: 1/5, Location: Jewel Vault

Meanwhile in the party vault, Stanley is perched on top of the small wooden table in the room, knees hugged to his chest playing 'The floor is made of lava'. Except the floor is actually covered in potent acid slime instead. This wasn't much better from Stanley's point of view.

Okay right I am in a position to do some ad-hoc investigating, so let's give it some of the old

STANLEY PIBBLEWIFF NATURAL TALENT EXAMINATION SKILLS (Trademark)

Using the PIBBLEWIFF eyes on the STRANGE ACIDIC SUBSTANCE left by the GIANT CATERPILLAR Stanley carefully concludes that...

21:18 TheNabster Trying to figure things out in Anime Hearts
21:18 TheNabster !r 2d6
21:18 Krysmbot TheNabster, 4 = 4
21:18 TheNabster loving noooooothiiiiing

I still get to ask a question, and then get punched in the face.

>What is my enemy vulnerable to?

It's really acidic, and also the table that Stanley was standing on to avoid the encroaching acidic puddle was starting to corrode a little "Oh botheration my table is starting to melt!"

"Guys! Guys the acid is starting to seep into the room I am in, I would like not to be melted on the job guys!"

TheNabster fucked around with this message at 21:34 on Sep 2, 2016

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Ah yes, I daresay I'm disappointed. I was expecting something more exciting, ho ho. I'm afraid I'll only have to use the tenth of my little soldiers."

I take aim and fire off the first bullet in my chamber, aiming for his leg.

"Ten Little Soldiers!"

I got a 6
He gets harm, tension up, and make him fall for it with the condition "Shaky Footing"

Well

Control to thief

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:38 on Sep 6, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

>What is my enemy vulnerable to?

Also, this makes that discord conversation make a lot more sense now.

The thief is vulnerable to major things and your cop training makes them pretty obvious: his own arrogance leading him to be easily distracted and misled and his acid seems easily nullified by baking soda. Alright, the cop training didn't help much with the later, but seeing baking soda, kept in here to keep the odor at bay, fall down into the acid and neutralize what it touched certainly gave away the goat.

Thief Status: Beat-Up
Condition: Shaky Footing
*One more harm can take him down

"Aw Jeez, my foot!" The thief winces as he grabs his bleeding foot and practically dances, "I can't believe you shot me in the foot. And what was that you scream? Your attack name? That's cute." The thief tries to put his bleeding foot back on the ground, but he can't keep it down: too much pain. "Okay, maybe you dream corps are actually worth something, but I'm not going back to the Giver empty handed. And, besides, I'm Papilo. You're just some cops. I've been at this far longer than you. I'll admit, this new acid power the Giver gave me ain't exactly working out as planned, my very hungry caterpillar, but I can smell rats as good as any fine denizen of this city."

Picking up a half melted brick and throwing it at the wall causes it fall down and reveal Stanley, on a table. "Now, I'm immune to my acid, but he ain't." With a flick of his wrist, the acid on the floor jumped up and melted away the legs of the table causing the table to fall forward. "Now, he don't like he got power like we do: you might want to save him."

Basically, Papilo is putting you into a classic save him or let me go situation. Added with the whole "floor is acid" deal you all have to deal with that would require dodging to avoid and reach him in time. Stanley, you know the secret to fixing this whole deal, but will it help you here? Act and see what happens (in other words, describe your actions, see if it triggers a move. If it doesn't, ask me and we'll do something. Discord is always open, after all. it's an important element to the ebb and flow of pbta and important to encourage in the playtest as well as, just generally, remind player they can ask me stuff on discord if they feel stuck). Oh, and Papilo has shaky feet so running away isn't going to be something he can just do, but it might work if y'all gently caress up.

Control goes to Stanley

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Condition: Ready, Experience: 1/5, Location: Jewel Vault

"Oh goooods" Stanley squealed as the the small area of table that wasn't in contact with the acid suddenly started to melt into it as he held onto the table edge for dear life. This wasn't a great idea at all and he was very desperatly scrambling to keep away from it

Well bum. Time to meet my maker
No wait, there is a way out of this, and it could actually work Stanley.

And almost on que, he observed the baking soda hit the acidic mush, and watched the reaction take place. The acid started to sizzle and then stopped completly. Ah right, basic science. You put an alkaline substance in an acidic substance and you're left with just water thought Stanley Now I wonder if I can just reach across with my sword without this guy noticing annnnd...

19:56 TheNabster Rolling for Animu Stuff
19:57 TheNabster !r 2d6
19:57 Krysmbot TheNabster, 7 = 7

On a 6,7,8, you flinch, hesitate, or stall: the MK will tell you what bad thing will occur if you are to succeed.

Covok
May 27, 2013

The universe is just never a fan of straight-laced, by-the-books people like you, Stanley. You fall in and begin to get burned by the acid. Good thing you're wearing clothes as they go first. Luck you, you manage to get that baking soda and neutralize the acid before it gets your skin. But, you ain't exactly looking like a dignified cop in tighty whities, mate.

You have the condition Naked And Undignified, but you suffer no harm and have neutralized the acid in your area.

Can you pass control to someone who hasn't gone yet in this pass around?

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

I'm not sure who hasn't gone yet, I think everyone has. I'll cede control to Crepes Suzette.

Tricky
Jun 12, 2007

Condition: Ready! | Experience: 1/5 | Location: Old Man Beatdown

Crêpes's eyes narrowed. It was time to finish this. That acid was just too dangerous to leave around. It'd probably go away when they knocked out the user. She cracked her knuckles, tensed up, and then leapt high into the air. All she had to do was avoid falling into the acid by carefully landing on the Old Man's head with her foot. Not a problem.

quote:

Serious Battle w/ Demon's Grin

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 6:28 AM
@Tricky you rolled 4, 3 for a total of

Picking to Prove Them Wrong with my bonus 9+, and I guess it doesn't really matter what I do with the 6-8. The Old Man is KO'd.

As expected, her foot landed squarely on the Old Man's forehead. His eyes started rolling back in his head as he toppled backwards to the ground. Crêpes grinned as she found herself standing on his chest, "I'm still holding back. Keep that in mind next time you decide to make trouble in our town."

quote:

Proving Him Wrong!

RoboNitoriBOT - Today at 6:55 AM
@Tricky you rolled 6, 1 for a total of

He changes his ways as visions of the potential 4-harm, multiple condition future that could have been fill his mind.

Control to Tabitha, but I'm not really sure it matter!

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

"Alright, sir, you can either come in quietly, or I'll have to use my second bullet. I'm sure you'll make the correct decision, ho ho."

Proving him wrong!: 4
Oh no.

Control to Conrad

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 16:30 on Sep 15, 2016

Covok
May 27, 2013

Sorry about the wait, guys. Since he was already out, I'll let that 4 slide since the battle was over already.

The thief falls on his ground and passes into a nice dream. That immediately turns into a nightmare over what you could have done to him. As he passes out, the acid fades away into nothingness.

As everything seems to finally be quieting down, you hear a rush of footsteps behind you as a group of guards arrive. Seeing the mess surrounding the place, the guard in a front, a red-headed middle aged male that you know as Guard Captain McGurk, begins rubbing his eyes. "Of course, of course, of course," he says exasperated, "it's you guys that we got reports about. Who else would have handled one old man any sloppier!? Come on, there is a few more walls you forgot to knock down!"

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I call down from the rooftop. "Apologies, McGurk! We got the perp, though! Ho ho!"

bahamut
Jan 5, 2004

Harm: 1

Sagacity can't help but to scowl at Captain McGurk's appraisal of the situation. New boots were going to be expensive! Doubtless she'd have to spend her off-hours gambling on the Chalka Slots trying to get the money for new ones. An officers salary alone surely wouldn't be able to cut it! Captain McGurk never had any appreciation for this sort of thing! If it had been his shoes brought to the brink of destruction in the skirmish, doubtless he wouldn't be all uppity about 'one old man'.

"I don't know why you think it was us," Sagacity grumbles, checking to make sure her tail was unharmed in the exchange, "it wasn't our acid worm thing, after all."

Alien Rope Burn
Dec 5, 2004

"But... he knocked down the... there was a worm.. and..." Madeleine frets for a moment, but then at least is distracted by the cat on her head, taking it off her head and into her arms. "It's okay, you got to see all that, right?", she says to the cat with a rising touch of hope. "You tell him!"

The cat most likely does not tell him.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

TheNabster
Apr 26, 2014

Stanley stumbled out of the vault, fell in line next to his comrades and clattered to attention.

"Apologies for the collateral sir! I wish to report that all parties are safe and sound sir! I can confirm that nothing was stolen from the vault Sir!"

He hoped that if he drove through the questions with all the official decorum of his position, that no one would call attention to his lack of clothing. 'At the very least' thought Stanley 'I'm wearing clean underwear'

• Locked thread