Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
From Reddit:

quote:

Guess who pretended to be a watermelon to rally the other watermelons into a rebellion

lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mraagvpeine
Nov 4, 2014

I won this avatar on a technicality this thick.
Is the show 5 seasons or 3 seasons broken up into 5 seasons?

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Ditocoaf posted:

David Sirlin is a great game designer but he's definitely been held back by his obsession with that cast of uninspiring fighting-game characters he came up with. I think I saw he was making an actual fighting game with them recently, so hopefully that gets it out of his system.

Lets not overstate it, Puzzle Strike is good but only after 3 releases did it get to a point where it wasn't super broken. I also don't get why people still play Yomi when BattleCon and Exceed exist.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Macaluso posted:

From Reddit:

lol

And a bunch of those watermelons ended up in pieces, too.

Digamma-F-Wau
Mar 22, 2016

It is curious and wants to accept all kinds of challenges

Mraagvpeine posted:

Is the show 5 seasons or 3 seasons broken up into 5 seasons?

1 originally 26 episode season that got doubled in length partway through production followed by 2 52 episode seasons that got advertised as 4 26 episode seasons

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I believe you'll find the true answer is "a few dozen seasons, most of which are 4-6 episodes long"

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
As Amethyst would have put it - "You're series is kind of a mess Steven..."

evilmiera
Dec 14, 2009

Moriatti posted:

Tbh, this is a good twist, possibly the best in TV (tied with AoS' Season 1 twist for me) because it recontextualizes EVERY relationship Steven has, except maybe with Connie. I immediately want to know every major character's reaction to this! Does Greg know (he doesn't), what will Peridot say? Whst would Jasper say?

I really can't wait for the next episode, 2023 can't come soon enough!

A better question would probably be "Does Greg care?" since, you know, he only ever knew her as Rose. That she used to be someone else, had other things she had to do, and a dark past or whatever isn't really as important to a guy like him. He just cared that she was happy and that she liked him back, after all.

Unless its somehow revealed Greg was only being played by her as a means to accomplish some weird plot.

Or it is revealed Greg knew, and this was one of those few moments where he managed to keep a secret for most of his life. Sort of echoing the whole "Unit 1 is Shinji's Mom" thing from Evangelion. Except the dad isn't also a weird egotist with attachment issues.

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon
Greg has has pretty explicitly said that he doesn't care about Rose's past, and that he knows she wanted to make amends for being an intergalactic war criminal. He may or may not know about Pink Diamond, but finding out is not going to make him think less of her.

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

FUSION DOES NOT WORK THAT WAY! GOODNIGHT!

But seriously though, We know from pictures that White Diamond has a forehead gem, and not a stomach or chest gems. She clearly exists independently of the other Diamonds as seen in Garnet's flashback and indicated by the fact that her light appears in the sky during the corruption bomb. She's not a fusion, she's her own thing, it's way more likely that the reason we never see her around is because she just doesn't like dealing with the other diamonds because they all suck.

Dogg I know all that. I'm sticking to my story regardless.

Evrart Claire
Jan 11, 2008

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Greg has has pretty explicitly said that he doesn't care about Rose's past, and that he knows she wanted to make amends for being an intergalactic war criminal. He may or may not know about Pink Diamond, but finding out is not going to make him think less of her.

Dogg I know all that. I'm sticking to my story regardless.

Greg probably considers (or will consider after finding out) Rose originally being PD to be no more important in the context of their relationship than him originally being Greg DeMayo.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
Although I imagine he's going to recognise it means a hell of a lot more to people who were there at the time and Gems in general.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

When's the next episode airing? Or are we in hiatus hell again?

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Infinitum posted:

When's the next episode airing? Or are we in hiatus hell again?

Hiatus hell until 'summer'.
Who knows if that'll mean weekly episodes, or one bomb, or something like the previous summer of steven.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
Greg will find out Rose could have been bigger and be furious

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Wasn't Pink Diamond actually smaller than Rose? About as tall, much skinnier.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
She was taller but thinner.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

I was thinking Greg might be sad that he was lied to is all.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

A lot of the things the gems and Greg have said to Steven seem pretty in-line with Rose's actions. Greg told her it didn't matter what she did in the past, Garnet and Amethyst were cool with Rose keeping secrets, Garnet was pretty adamant that Pink Diamond couldn't be around if the rebellion was going to succeed, and they all knew about Rose's penchant for totally transforming herself into something new.

It all fits in philosophically with Rose's actions. She was honest to them about her intentions and actions and about the fact that she had secrets. It's only their hangups about the Diamonds that make this an emotionally intense thing.

The twist really doesn't change much about Rose or the overall plot, it just effects all the characters emotionally.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Saw this floating around, right screenshot from Utena, of course.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Macaluso posted:

From Reddit:

lol

Nice. Wonder what else has bubbled up on Reddit recenOH GOD WHY.

Say Nothing
Mar 5, 2013

by FactsAreUseless

Looking at those goofy pom pom slippers, it's no wonder Rose chose not to wear shoes.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Jasper needs to be sadder, gayer, and have access to a kareoke machine.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Ghost Leviathan posted:

Jasper needs to be sadder, gayer, and have access to a kareoke machine.

please stop posting quotes from my diary.

Literally Kermit
Mar 4, 2012
t

EasyEW posted:

Nice. Wonder what else has bubbled up on Reddit recenOH GOD WHY.

Gain. :unsmith:

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Moriatti posted:

Tbh, this is a good twist, possibly the best in TV (tied with AoS' Season 1 twist for me) because it recontextualizes EVERY relationship Steven has, except maybe with Connie. I immediately want to know every major character's reaction to this! Does Greg know (he doesn't), what will Peridot say? Whst would Jasper say?

What the hell is AoS?

I wonder if we'll ever get a reason for Pink being smaller and newer? Why they'd make a new one and change their emblem as they did. I wonder if really old stuff (10,000 year old stuff) has a white/blue/yellow marking on it only.

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.
I'm guessing Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.

Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Yeah, it's Agents of SHIELD.

The crest is a good question, I guess it depends on how long Pink was colony-less?

Zulily Zoetrope
Jun 1, 2011

Muldoon

MikeJF posted:

Saw this floating around, right screenshot from Utena, of course.

Hey, her hair is just Steven's, but bigger. Neat!

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Taear posted:

I wonder if we'll ever get a reason for Pink being smaller and newer?
I'm kind of hoping the answer is the Diamonds got tired of the dynamics of their group and wanted to create life/have someone around that wasn't just a subordinate worshipping them endlessly.

It'd be nice thematically if they created Pink and she got away from what they wanted, became her own person more or less.

VvV
Can you imagine if the show goes all Evangelion/Utena and gets super weird? Like the episode after SPR has Steven getting poofed and the next episode at the end of summer is an hour-long rumination on identity and self (Am I Steven, or am I the Rose that dreamed of a Steven) and when he returns he wakes up to a blasted Beach City. The internets would burn.

FilthyImp fucked around with this message at 17:29 on May 21, 2018

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

SubNat posted:

Hiatus hell until 'summer'.
Who knows if that'll mean weekly episodes, or one bomb, or something like the previous summer of steven.

Half-hour special consisting of Single Pale Rose and the episode that starts immediately after, airing at noon on the Saturday of Labor Day weekend.

TVs Ian
Jun 1, 2000

Such graceful, delicate creatures.

FilthyImp posted:

I'm kind of hoping the answer is the Diamonds got tired of the dynamics of their group and wanted to create life/have someone around that wasn't just a subordinate worshipping them endlessly.

It'd be nice thematically if they created Pink and she got away from what they wanted, became her own person more or less.
Or the Empire was getting too big for the existing 3, so they made a fourth. But she wound up overcooked like Amethyst or somehow otherwise not quite like they planned, so that's why she had to go all Veruca Salt to get her first colony.

I'm wondering if overcooked gems might develop an independent streak in addition to being shorter. It would fit with both Amethyst and Pink Diamond.

Gravitas Shortfall
Jul 17, 2007

Utility is seven-eighths Proximity.

FilthyImp posted:

Can you imagine if the show goes all Evangelion/Utena and gets super weird? Like the episode after SPR has Steven getting poofed and the next episode at the end of summer is an hour-long rumination on identity and self (Am I Steven, or am I the Rose that dreamed of a Steven) and when he returns he wakes up to a blasted Beach City. The internets would burn.

Steven fuses with everyone on Earth while "Komm Susser Tod" plays

Later he wakes up on a beach and tries to strangle Connie.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

Gravitas Shortfall posted:

Steven fuses with everyone on Earth while "Komm Susser Tod" plays
A Giant Watermelon Steven towers over the earth. All of humanity is crystalized.
Ronaldo is revealed to be a gem-boned robot.

Steven rescues Connie from the Diamonds and is placed in a crucifixion crucible and impaled by swords. He later turns into a car -- Connie uses Rose's Sword suggestively to start his engine and she drives away from the apocalypse.

:kheldragar:

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Maybe all the Diamonds just had different duties in gem society, (maybe something like yellow has the science and development, Blue has...I dunno, cultural development or special-use gems?) but as the empire expanded across the stars, they started to shift into divvying up the tetrarchy into territorial jurisdictions instead, but then Pink Diamond had the position with the least reason to have an army or have a planet all to herself, so as the gems expanded their hegemony, Pink was left doing nothing but hanging around until she specifically threw a fit, stepping outside her intended purpose.

And since I'm already calling them the tetrarchy, I might as well stretch that metaphor to the limit that nobody else in this thread will probably even pick up on, and say: White Diamond is Diocletian, Blue Diamond is Maximian, Yellow Diamond is Galerius, and then Pink Diamond/Rose Quartz is Constantine. It fits a lot better than you'd expect.

FilthyImp posted:

VvV
Can you imagine if the show goes all Evangelion/Utena and gets super weird?

The show hasn't come anywhere near the level of weird it was with Frybo and Cat Fingers for a long time.

SlothfulCobra fucked around with this message at 18:22 on May 21, 2018

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Successfully indoctrinated another fan, with the short-track of:

Bubble Buddies
Serious Steven
Tiger Millionaire
Steven's Lion
Giant Woman
Steven the Swordfighter
Lion 2
Rose's Room
Coach Steven
Indirect Kiss
Mirror Gem/Ocean Gem

It hurt to leave some of them out, but there was time pressure, and the important thing is to get to the Lapis episodes, where the show really takes off.

Madurai fucked around with this message at 19:56 on May 21, 2018

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

How the hell did you skip Giant Woman in good conscience? :colbert:

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Steven realises he is the icon of the Gem Internet, reveals Ronaldo as a false god, erases everyone's memories of him but visits Connie when she gets older. Rebecca Sugar storyboards while on acid for the entire arc.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

YoshiOfYellow posted:

How the hell did you skip Giant Woman in good conscience? :colbert:

I didn't, just foolishly didn't list it.

YoshiOfYellow
Aug 21, 2015

Voted #1 Babysitter in Mushroom Kingdom

Oh good. All is fine then.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

misadventurous
Jun 26, 2013

the wise gem bowed her head solemnly and spoke: "theres actually zero difference between good & bad quartzes. you imbecile. you fucking moron"

I advocate for not skipping any of S1A whenever possible but you got a pretty good list together there. Would have tacked on Gem Glow/Laser Light Cannon at the beginning and insisted that they be watched together as intended, imo they deserve more credit as a really strong intro to this show