Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Test Pattern
Dec 20, 2007

Keep scrolling, clod!

Doctor Reynolds posted:

Overthinking things in Steven Universe is a dangerous path to go down. Which is a shame, because overthinking things is my favourite hobby. For example, if Steven only ages if when he "feels" like it, then how did he ever get past infancy?

He was with his dad, who expected him to age, until he gets handed off around 5-6. After that he ages a bit, but not the "right" amount, because while the gems understand that humans grow and change, they don't really get it, and have absolutely no idea about the appropriate time scale. No one else but his dad knows his actual age, and just roll with Steven being Steven. When he first starts to worry about it, it goes completely out of control (Too Many Birthdays), but he returns to his "current" age. However, when he reaches a birthday and someone who (a) actually knows what a human 14 year old looks like and (b) isn't deliberately hands-off to not interfere with "gem stuff" finds out his age and comments on it, he literally has a whisker the very next day (Steven's Birthday).

Stevonnie looks as mature as they do and is hairier than either of them at least partially because Connie knows what an older teen should look like and what their body and facial hair situation should be.

As human as Steven is, his physicality is firmly in the grasp of his self-image, which is firmly in the grasp of what others expect of him (which is sort of the problem). I expect he will have a new look after his road trip if he manages to get his head straight.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

...Were you not?

I'm not at liberty to say.

The Ultimate Doge
May 1, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Weird Al and TMBG still exist in the Stevenverse right?

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

RandomPauI posted:

Weird Al and TMBG are universal constants.

Technowolf
Nov 4, 2009

RandomPauI posted:

If a version of Weird Al exists in MLP, he certainly exists in Steven Universe.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

RandomPauI posted:

in the Sugarverse, Weird Al and Ray Stevens have swapped places w/r/t pop and country music.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

TMBG exclusively does their educational songs in the StevenUniverse but they're all about Gems.

Catgirl Al Capone
Dec 15, 2007

it's TMBGW, actually :)

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Estelle exists in the Steven Universeverse but it's technically just Garnet moonlighting.

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Estelle exists in the Steven Universeverse but it's technically just Garnet moonlighting.

I mean, we did see the album cover in Greg's collection, so this checks out.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Just finished a marathon Trails in the Sky session and for a second I thought you meant Estelle Bright. Who, let's be real, would get along quite well with Steven

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rewatching the series, there never was an explanation for Greg’s magic duct tape yeah?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Triskelli posted:

Rewatching the series, there never was an explanation for Greg’s magic duct tape yeah?

It’s duct tape

Triskelli
Sep 27, 2011

I AM A SKELETON
WITH VERY HIGH
STANDARDS

Rasamune posted:

It’s duct tape

Makes sense to me

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Triskelli posted:

I think steven used his spit on it sorta? like he licked his thumb before he used it or bit the end or something iirc

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

CYBEReris posted:

it's TMBGW, actually :)

I didn't know I needed a TMBG cover of Giant Woman until this moment.

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

I was watching simpsons at 0.75 without knowing until a scene where homer and bart were getting back massages at a hotel and the noises they were making were super drawn out like a youtube poop
Why do I always hear White Diamond's voice whenever I read messed up posts from estranged parents in the GBS thread?

Rasamune
Jan 19, 2011

MORT
MORT
MORT

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Why do I always hear White Diamond's voice whenever I read messed up posts from estranged parents in the GBS thread?

Is it because you have no experience with narcissistic personality disorder besides seeing a character in a cartoon show? If so, thank god for that

geeko55
Jun 11, 2013

RandomPauI posted:

I didn't know I needed a TMBG cover of Giant Woman until this moment.

It's got some pretty TMBG-esq lyrics to it, too! I'd love that as well.

chitoryu12
Apr 24, 2014

https://twitter.com/stevenposting/status/1262497267120066563

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

On a similar note, the two best subreddits

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer
If you want to see the Crystal Gems + Connie talk over Animal Crossing, that's a thing you can do right now apparently.

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Rasamune posted:

Is it because you have no experience with narcissistic personality disorder besides seeing a character in a cartoon show? If so, thank god for that

Jesus settle down

Plant MONSTER.
Mar 16, 2018

Stenis posted:

Jesus settle down
sry for the e/n

They're right, sort of, though. While I had an abusive parent growing up, he wasn't a narcissist. I mean, like, yeah he can't or couldn't see how or why any of the poo poo he did was incredibly wrong.

I felt really dumb after posting that initial post anyway*. Comparing people in that thread to a cartoon character.

*before anyone else said anything, lol.

Plant MONSTER. fucked around with this message at 14:40 on May 27, 2020

Stenis
Jun 29, 2019

by Nyc_Tattoo

Plant MONSTER. posted:

sry for the e/n

They're right, sort of, though. While I had an abusive parent growing up, he wasn't a narcissist. I mean, like, yeah he can't or couldn't see how or why any of the poo poo he did was incredibly wrong.

I felt really dumb after posting that initial post anyway. Comparing people in that thread to a cartoon character.

Well White was pretty clearly meant to represent a bad parental relationship, and particularly one where the parental figure thought they were perfect, so I don't see what was that dumb about it

Fritzler
Sep 5, 2007

I’ve been finally watching this show and enjoying it. I watched first 4 season on Hulu. Season 5/movie/future was on Cartoon Network app last night. I had half hour left on the movie last night, but decided to go to bed.

All of those were removed from the app last night lol. I feel personally attacked. Just needed to vent real quick.

edit: 5 is now on HBO max, but movie/future aren't.

Fritzler fucked around with this message at 14:01 on May 27, 2020

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
If Steven Universe is on HBO, will Pearl finally say "gently caress"?

Xelkelvos
Dec 19, 2012

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

Maybe when they do an AT Distant Lands-like series for this.

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Rabbi Raccoon posted:

No but we'll find out Gems actually bleed before they poof and we'll go digitally add shitloads to the Alexandrite vs. Malachite fight.

Hihohe
Oct 4, 2008

Fuck you and the sun you live under

Get with the times guys. On HBO the gems will all call each other oval office.

They're taking that word for themselves. It belongs to them.

zetamind2000
Nov 6, 2007

I'm an alien.

Hihohe posted:

Get with the times guys. On HBO the gems will all call each other oval office.

They're taking that word for themselves. It belongs to them.

Vince Russo booking Steven Universe, let's make it happen

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'd like to see Steven taking on the Predator just to see how Rebecca Sugar would resolve it.

Daikloktos
Jan 1, 2020

by Cyrano4747

Xelkelvos posted:

Maybe when they do an AT Distant Lands-like series for this.
I hope it's a much longer gap than Adventure Time had. Future felt like a motivated epilogue tied up in executive fuckery, but I don't want to see more Steven Universe on television. Of course, even though I don't indulge, I'd like to know there's still the video games and comics and all that ancillary material out there keeping the flame alive until it's time to bring it back.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains
By the by they are finally getting around to releasing background music from the series, one CD per season, per month (Including a release for SUF in October)
Though the first release covers mostly stuff that was once on the soundcloud.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think FlagMashupBot just created the SU flag of the United States.

https://twitter.com/FlagsMashupBot/status/1273143355363536898

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

that's watermelon Steven island

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

e: :synpa:

Zeruel fucked around with this message at 11:32 on Jun 24, 2020

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our admin, lowtax, has been credibly accused of abusing his partner.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

LashLightning
Feb 20, 2010

You know you didn't have to go post that, right?
But it's fine, I guess...

You just keep being you!

since a lot of people only check bookmarks, you should know that our Diamond, Pink, has been credibly accused of utilising an alternative identity to seed rebellion.

https://forums.somethingawful.com/s...hreadid=3928980

please do what you believe to be ethical. What Yellow, Blue and White tell you to do is now the definition of "ethical".

Srsly, this sucks and I hope an exchange of leadership/ownership can be negotiated.