Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Who What Now
Sep 10, 2006

by Azathoth
....ok?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
every actor has done Japanese commercials ok, don't be judgin' on pearl.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

People were talking about that gem show so...

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
It'd be great if SU got nice poo poo like this, but we're relegated to
... Lego sets with decorative stickers.

Beachcomber
May 21, 2007

Another day in paradise.

Slippery Tilde

Inescapable Duck posted:

Action sequences are always really hard to do well, superpowered ones triply so, especially if they have to hold up beyond the moment of watching. Stronger Than You having a fight set to a musical sequence was brilliant. Given the show's themes, it's quite on the money that focusing on emotional beats is a great way to carry a scene, and you could do much worse than to build a show around that.

The DCAU mostly holds up best in its character moments and ongoing development, and in some cases visual storytelling, especially the high notes of BTAS. See Baby Doll's breakdown, and a lot of Mr Freeze episodes. The later seasons of JLU kinda devolved a bit into fanservice, though at least going out on a high note.

Come to think of it, I think the parts I remember most fondly of most cartoons is ongoing emotional and ideological struggles, who gets proven right or wrong, more than who wins fights most spectacularly. Avatar TLA famously ends with Aang struggling with how the war has to be won the right way, not just any old way, else it'll never really stop with all that's been done.

Let's see here:

1. "I am many things, Kal-el, but here I am God."

2. Darkseid murders Jack Kirby Dan Turpin

3. World of cardboard

I...I might need some help.

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!
"World of Cardboard" still bugs me because the actual moment of him unleashing his full power didn't even last as long as the speech describing it, and then he got instantly owned anyway.

Kazy
Oct 23, 2006

0x38: FLOPPY_INTERNAL_ERROR

YouTube TV finally has Cartoon Network! :toot:

There's not even any SU episodes coming up in the next few days so I can't add it to my DVR yet :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

"World of Cardboard" still bugs me because the actual moment of him unleashing his full power didn't even last as long as the speech describing it, and then he got instantly owned anyway.

Hey Superman didn't know Darkseid had Brainiac hax.

Adder Moray
Nov 18, 2010
Wrote some music:

https://soundcloud.com/addermoray/crystal-quintet-amethyst-missed-practice-mix

I intend to add in some drums for Amethyst's part eventually, I'm just terrible at writing percussion.

underage at the vape shop
May 11, 2011

by Cyrano4747

Infinitum posted:

Look at this horseshit

they released like 4 game of thrones eps worth of airtime all year god drat

underage at the vape shop fucked around with this message at 11:00 on Feb 18, 2018

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

4 game of thrones eps? Why that's almost 4 eps of CSI Miami!

What a weird analogy you've chosen

T-man
Aug 22, 2010

Talk shit, get bzzzt.

Or 19 year's worth of actually funny content on these forums.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013
That’s 20 cakes’ worth of episodes. And that’s terrible.

BioEnchanted
Aug 9, 2011

He plays for the dreamers that forgot how to dream, and the lovers that forgot how to love.
Schedule

TV Shows need to be scheduled. They need a slot allocating for airing to an audience. Cartoon Network and Disney are not scheduling their shows.

They are failing their audience, who have scheduled an appointment. They have set a time aside to speak to them.

Infinitum
Jul 30, 2004

Schedule schedule bo bedule, banana fana fo fedule, fe fi fo medule. SCHEDULE

maltesh
May 20, 2004

Uncle Ben: Still Dead.

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

I've always been partial to the "Thank you, my friend." that ends the Justice League episode, "Hereafter."

Satchel and Trunk
Nov 4, 2008

Adder Moray posted:

Wrote some music:

https://soundcloud.com/addermoray/crystal-quintet-amethyst-missed-practice-mix

I intend to add in some drums for Amethyst's part eventually, I'm just terrible at writing percussion.

This is very pretty, although I think the slow tempo drags on it a bit. I’d like to hear it with drums.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I can't believe this show is cancelled.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Motherfucker posted:

Really? Towards the end it was pretty obvious Cartoon Network wanted the show dead. When they finally dropped it I was disappointed, but not surprised.

Zeruel
Mar 27, 2010

Alert: bad post spotted.
I, for one, welcome our new Titan overlords.

DeafNote
Jun 4, 2014

Only Happy When It Rains

Motherfucker posted:

Say it enough and it will become true you know.

Foglet
Jun 17, 2014

Reality is an illusion.
The universe is a hologram.
Buy gold.

Zeruel posted:

I, for one, welcome our new Titan overlords.

Whoa, seriously? Sym-Bionic is getting revived? Sweet!

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Sym-Bionic Titan didn't have go.

J.A.B.C.
Jul 2, 2007

There's no need to rush to be an adult.

So, for those schedule dates, are those supposed to be new episodes, or just when it's showing?

Madurai
Jun 26, 2012

J.A.B.C. posted:

So, for those schedule dates, are those supposed to be new episodes, or just when it's showing?

The schedule dates were for last year.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Yeah, let's be clear about this, they never tell us anything in advance, because they don't even know what they're running from week to week. Or sometimes from hour to hour.

Mr.Pibbleton
Feb 3, 2006

Aleuts rock, chummer.

DeafNote posted:

Say it enough and it will become true you know.

I can't believe we got grasperedemption gregnancy and Jasper singing all in one episode.

Flying-PCP
Oct 2, 2005

EasyEW posted:

Yeah, let's be clear about this, they never tell us anything in advance, because they don't even know what they're running from week to week. Or sometimes from hour to hour.

Or supposedly because they're scared Disney will counter-program Steven Universe with... Star Vs? I guess? And Nickelodian might uhm..air a better than average spongebob episode?

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.

Flying-PCP posted:

Or supposedly because they're scared Disney will counter-program Steven Universe with... Star Vs? I guess? And Nickelodian might uhm..air a better than average spongebob episode?

Not just Steven. They've reshuffled entire schedules seemingly on the fly in a way that I've never seen with a network that doesn't have to deal with sports coverage or national tragedies.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠
Kind of amazing that we're falling off this new animation boom horse because the networks basically decided to stop airing new episodes.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Anora posted:

Kind of amazing that we're falling off this new animation boom horse because the networks basically decided to stop airing new episodes.

I suspect that CN's worried about the continued profitability of their channel in the potential future absence of Steven Universe. They're looking for another big boomer, basically. Once they've found it, and I guess they're looking for it in Craig of the Creek, Steven Universe will have a more regular release schedule.

Milkfred E. Moore
Aug 27, 2006

'It's easier to imagine the end of the world than the end of capitalism.'

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect that CN's worried about the continued profitability of their channel in the potential future absence of Steven Universe.

Weird thoughts.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Milky Moor posted:

Weird thoughts.

Perhaps, but I think you're missing my point.

I'm talking about once the show is over and done, not its current absence from the network. Steven Universe is profitable for them in a way that a lot of other shows aren't. Now that Regular Show is over, and Adventure Time is basically over, the number of flagship shows has significantly shrunk. They're looking for replacements, and they're fine with stringing out their current big show while growing whatever they think will be their new big thing. The show's temporary absence is not a significant problem for them if they're convinced that a) an audience will return after significant delays and b) that they can grow their audience back to or near to the levels it once was.

It's an approach that's completely within their wheelhouse when you consider their penny pinching elsewhere (e.g. the way they've artificially chopped up seasons of Adventure Time in order to squeeze out more money from the finished program).

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

Open Source Idiom posted:

I suspect that CN's worried about the continued profitability of their channel in the potential future absence of Steven Universe. They're looking for another big boomer, basically. Once they've found it, and I guess they're looking for it in Craig of the Creek, Steven Universe will have a more regular release schedule.

So basically Steven Universe is now Adventure Time?

Oh god we're never going to get to see the series finale.

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.
You'd think if Steven Universe was their last remaining cash cow they'd make some goddamn merchandise for it.

Cartoon Network still seems to be recovering from having attempted to make their own animation department redundant to run reality TV 24/7 only to find out no one wants that poo poo. They're trying to be stingy about how many shows they make while also in a desperate state of throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Inescapable Duck posted:

You'd think if Steven Universe was their last remaining cash cow they'd make some goddamn merchandise for it.

Cartoon Network still seems to be recovering from having attempted to make their own animation department redundant to run reality TV 24/7 only to find out no one wants that poo poo. They're trying to be stingy about how many shows they make while also in a desperate state of throwing poo poo at the wall to see what sticks.

Ah, the good old Syfy Channel degradation syndrome. I've never seen a specialty network ever recover after straying off its stated brand to such a degree. Even SyFy Channel itself had to put out a press release a few years ago that literally said something to the effect of "Hey guys! We're actually airing Science Fiction television shows again! Come back and love us! ...please"

But the damage was done. After they axed all three Stargate shows, strangled Battlestar Galactica to death, and buried Eureka up to its eyes, that giant once-loyal audience was just gone. And it never came back.

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

nine-gear crow posted:

Ah, the good old Syfy Channel degradation syndrome. I've never seen a specialty network ever recover after straying off its stated brand to such a degree. Even SyFy Channel itself had to put out a press release a few years ago that literally said something to the effect of "Hey guys! We're actually airing Science Fiction television shows again! Come back and love us! ...please"

But the damage was done. After they axed all three Stargate shows, strangled Battlestar Galactica to death, and buried Eureka up to its eyes, that giant once-loyal audience was just gone. And it never came back.

At least they'll always have Sharknado.

Pakled
Aug 6, 2011

WE ARE SMART

Inescapable Duck posted:

I dunno if I'd say CNReal is having a noticeable negative effect on the network today. CNReal was nine years ago. Since then, they've had Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, and Steven Universe. I think whatever prestige they lost from their brief flirtation with reality TV, they regained in the early/mid 10's with such a strong cartoon lineup. I think now the reason CN seems to be scrambling is because three out of those four shows have either ended or have a set ending coming in the next year or so and at least one show they were banking on being a pillar of the network for years to come (PPG 2016) flopped.

Sankara
Jul 18, 2008

nine-gear crow posted:

I'm still mad about Farscape.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PicklePants
May 8, 2007
Woo!

Pakled posted:

I dunno if I'd say CNReal is having a noticeable negative effect on the network today. CNReal was nine years ago. Since then, they've had Adventure Time, Regular Show, Gumball, and Steven Universe. I think whatever prestige they lost from their brief flirtation with reality TV, they regained in the early/mid 10's with such a strong cartoon lineup. I think now the reason CN seems to be scrambling is because three out of those four shows have either ended or have a set ending coming in the next year or so and at least one show they were banking on being a pillar of the network for years to come (PPG 2016) flopped.

I think, on top of this Uncle Grandpa didn't really catch on either, and that started about the same time as SU.

Clarence was fine, but it did have some.. creator problems, and also didn't catch the world on fire.

Mighty Magiswords.. dropped a billion episodes, and vanished.

The new Ben 10 is mediocre, even for a Ben 10. Which is pretty impressive. I liked the original run but everything after that has just felt like diminishing returns.

Justice League: Action puts out new episodes on the app, I don't think I've ever seen them airing.

OK KO seems to have some traction, which is good!