Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
All I am is a tourist!

Edit: New page. The episode leaked. Also, KITTIES!

RandomPauI fucked around with this message at 18:14 on Aug 16, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm leaning towards Julie Hagerty because I love the film Airplane and think Steven needs to see it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm just saying this discussion would be moot if they voted in Donny Reagan and implemented his Space Wars missile/satellite killer plans. Just point them at space and boom, no invasion force.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
To take on the Yuuzahn Vong?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So you're saying Ronaldo and Jane off it in a murder/suicide pact? Wow you're dark.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Ain't no rules saying dogcopter can't play basketball.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Let me drive my Lego model of Greg's van into your heart!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Augus posted:

What if Connie is upset because she is actually a tomato?

Fixed that for you

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

T-man posted:

For those of you who have resisted the siren call of the leak, just know that today is a Very Special Episode of Steven Universe.

[spioler]I can't believe Connie is doing the drugs. Oh well, it was a good excuse to bring out the Cartoon Network All Stars to teach her that drugs are bad![/spoiler]

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Next week the gang uses a combination of EMDR and trauma processing techniques to help Steven cope with years of child endangerment and emotional neglect.

That was meant as a joke but it got me thinking. Yes, the gems love Steven . But they've been putting him in adult situations with adult responsibilities and consequences without regard to his mental wellbeing, inadvertently hindering his his ability to develop relationships with peers, and encouraged him to risk life and limb without training.

That's very bad. Being well-meaning guardians who live him doesn't change that.

I fully expect a confrontation where the gems actually apologize for this. It'll probably be in the context of them forgetting he's got human needs.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I've sat on these thoughts for a while but I think the thread will be more open to this argument now. I think the reason why Steven hasn't aged is because the Gems are unintentionally interfering with his emotional development. And I think Steven is going to have call them out on it at some point.

Steven appears well-adjusted because of all the time he spent with his father. He was physically growing and maturing while he lived with his father and it came to a stop when he moved in with the Gems. But how did the Gems damper his personal growth and emotional development?

Growing as a person requires an environment where people encourage you to become your own person and where you can express all of your important thoughts and feelings. His caretakers, the Gems, aren't providing that or seeing that it's provided. Instead the the Gems (adults) are encouraging Steven (a child) to be Rose (their leader and caretaker for thousands of years).

So he assumes responsibility for the groups physical health, mental health, and general well-being while they assume everything is fine with him. The way he buries his fears and doubts and anxieties makes it look like the Gems never even let him comfortable and safe sharing those feelings. He trains for combat when he isn't going on life threatening missions. He feels the weight of having to be the next Rose and hates himself for failing to be like her. When the Gem's leave him alone to go on a mission he accepts that no one else will take care of him for however many days and he fends for himself. His "fix-it" mindset even slips into the way he treats people in the community: when there's a problem in Beach City Steven frequently attempts to solve it. Steven is a child, he shouldn't have to assume any of these responsibilities.

The Gems are three of the most important people in his life right now and they are blind to his needs. Fortunately the Gems are loving and otherwise supportive and Steven also has a solid support network of other humans. I expect Steven will point out the problem, the Gems will listen, and they'll all work to change their mindsets and behaviors. And if the Gem's cant meet those needs other people in his life can pick up the slack once they find out what Steven's needs are. But the situation as it is can't last forever.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Okay, I'm testing the waters here. Are people willing to entertain the idea that Steven's development is stunted because he moved in with the Gems?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Besesoth posted:

I thought we were pretty much taking that as a given since the last birthday episode. Is that not the common opinion?

I suspected it's an opinion people would accept, but I don't recall it being explicitly brought up before. Especially not with supporting evidence.

Long story short: The Gems and Greg are failing as parents in ways that are so negligent if he were a regular human child he'd been taken away by child services years ago. Child endangerment, educational neglect, emotional neglect. Even if he was physically immortal (he isn't) he'd still wind up with a lot of issues.

I love the show, the Gem's love Steven, but for him to continue to grow he's going to have to keep pushing back at his caretakers and it'll surprise them and it'll probably surprise a lot of fans.

By the way, don't start cataloging the evidence of the neglect and the consequences because it gets depressing fast.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Kellsterik posted:

I think there might be some daylight between "let the Diamonds remain in power" and "put them to death."

Keep the Diamonds as imperial figureheads answerable to a Supreme Commander of the Allied Powers during the transition to a parliamentary democracy?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The biggest disappointment in this episode is the lack of Ducky.

There, I said it. Didn't bother to spoiler it either!

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'm pretty sure Brock Sampson killed Hitler.

https://youtu.be/O97A0R4chMg

For extra fun imagine Brock voiced by Pearl and Hank voiced by Steven. That'd make Deans role voiced by Connie huh? Garnet fits for Shoreleave because they are both completely confident in their abilities. The only person with the flare for Doctor Orpheus is Jamie.

Hmm. Who do I call at cartoon network to make this happen?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

J.A.B.C. posted:

End credits, and Pearl just got a hookup. Holy cow, that was amazing.

What were those credits a reference to? They look super familiar.

The credit montage thing is something a lot of 80's comedies did.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I vote they import Sondre Lerche's stuff next.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xWYG2u_llU

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aHkAD7dXMas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ydfqzA8suXU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was going to say they should call mystery girl Sandra Dee in honor of Greese but that's from 1978.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Is there any way to turn Sondheim into a females full name?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What did Robot Chicken submit this year to best SU and Adventure Time?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

I know you're joking but judging by that timestamp I was only 9 when the doll was made

You were one messed up 9 year old

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LemonLimeTime posted:

They better show up tomorrow or I am going to complain about it all over Twitter and then harass the Crewniverse that they didn't ship the specific characters I wanted into their story gently caress

Reading this in Lapis's voice is fun because you can imagine her being deadpan ironic or silly ironic. Tig Notaro's deadpan voice works too.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
It feels like they're logically following thru with Onion's weirdness. But it also feels like the development with the gang is unbelievable and inconsistent with the reality of the show.

A show about a boy who stores stuff in his magic pet lion, one he's defeated monsters with. Also his aunts are aliens.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
For me it was the squash powered go-cart. Onion getting his hand on a flamethrower is fine, but on that planet Humans obey the laws of physics!

That physics part is meant to be read like when Homer scolded Lisa for her perpetual motion machine

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I'll give the episode another shot, but I'm not joking about how much the squash-car pulled me out of the episode.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Alternatively, Lars has three phones because he's living a triple life as a teenager, a playboy billionaire, and a costumed vigilante.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Your pillow sins are forgiven. The ones involving the pics I mean. Not those other ones...

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I tried to narrow things down to within 5 years based on where technology was but I had no luck.

The phone doesn't look like it's from 2014-2016 but just because it could be second hand, or an old model sold at a bargain basement price. And trying to get a feel for how new or old the tablet could have been was a wash. The house seems to have wifi but that's been a thing for over a decade. For the TV it looked like maybe it was using an analog antennae but use of that spectrum for TV stopped in 2008. There aren't VR goggles but those are mostly toys for rich tech geeks right now.

Uncle Grandpa would put things in 2014 to 2016 but he transcends time and space.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
What about doing a t-shirt based on a mock compilation CD called Bands of the Cosmos? The front of the shirt can be a collage featuring Greg Universe, The Philosophy majors, and a few other bands. The back of the t-shirt can list the track, song, track, and run time.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

I would love a Garnet wedding episode.

Me too, it should have a cake worth at least 200 pages.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I have a question about a music symbol in the Steven Sings short. What does the one purple circle inside the oblong white shape mean?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer

LemonLimeTime posted:

Then explain Lapis.

I feel like this line from Camp Pining Hearts would be relevant*. "It's not about how busty you are on the outside. It's about how busty you are on the inside"

We haven't heard them say that. But c'mon, you know they'd say something like that.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
The spoilered speculation is too reasonable, this is the SU thread.

Calling it now. Steven learns how to take gemstones from stolen wedding rings to make an army of tiny Diamonds. The blood they spill is the real gem harvest.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Maybe they go the FLCL route and have him baseball bat a crazed mecha Lady Gaga that is headed for a collision course towards Earth.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
So this was like an election between Pearl and Marty right? And America chose Marty?

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
Romcom where Pearl has to marry Mayor Dewey to avoid deportation and everyone grows as a person becasue of it.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I was going to make a joke until I realized there might be shapes for belly buttons beside round hole or round hole with an outie sticking out.

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I think the pilot is Sadie's mom Barb

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RandomPauI
Nov 24, 2006

Grimey Drawer
I don't get why gem harvest would feature time travel.