Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Why was anyone mad about Lapis and Peridot? Because they're cute??

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Bwuh... buhbuhbuh... I... but wasn't that adorable????!

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Troposphere posted:

also they want peridot and amethyst to kiss

I can at least und-wait, peridot and AMYTHYST? Why?!

EDIT: so, like, angry perithyst shippers caused this?

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

MikeJF posted:

Remember when Peridot landed on top of Amethyst in too far that one time? So it was clearly an indication they're destined to be together and Lauren Zuke joining the show is obviously the reason they're not because she likes having Lapis and Peridot hang out and be domestic and it's totally queerbaiting the fans who know Peridot and Amethyst are the true gay.

Perithyst is a poo poo tier ship, Lapidot is the OTP, as only Peridot's boundless energy and desire to be friends + large amounts of old tv shows and anime can guide Lapis Lazuli out of her shell.

^
actual feelings on this, don't fkuc wit me boi, I'll cut a biyatch.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Doesn't have to be romantic. Not much difference anyway.

EDIT: like, the only thing I would miss would be like a one off scene, where lapis would perhaps kiss peri on the forehead, which is as far as any respectable shipper should go.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Honestly, just take my thoughts on lapidot, and replace Lapis with Jasper, and Peridot with Ruby Squad, and you have my opinions on Jasper ships. Except it would definitely be platonic there.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Eela6 posted:

I like this show and don't give a flying gently caress about shipping. I think everyone should fuse with everyone so we get more kicking rad music from Aivi and Surasshu.

Speaking of which, know your fusion has some awesome tunes. I loved the remixes of the Opal and Sardonyx themes.

Counterpoint: what you said implies at least platonic shipping everyone with everyone else.

Face it, Fusion means shipping. Give in to the darkness.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Troposphere posted:

jaspearl is good, Pearl needs a new big momma to pine over

I respectfully disagree. Pearl hates the gently caress out of some Jasper. She doesn't even Spades Jasper.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Prove it. (shots fired)

Seriously though I guess if Jasperdemption DOES happen Pearl might be able to Spades her

PS I'm really enjoying posting with you guys. its fun to talk to people who all genuinely care about something you care about.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
don't need to write mine down:

Lapidot
Garnet
Pearl X some gem in the future in a casual relationship with them as equals (I want birdmom to find someone)
jasper X friendship with ruby squad

This is last second, but Thinking about it it would really be cool if Sadie hung out with jamie, if only to make lars shape up and not EVER be a buttface again.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
most of that Chart is a filthy pile of shifuck. the OTP are in line with what I think though, but only Amythyst x Pearl in a universe where the fusions are the children of their constituent gems, because them seeing off Opal on her first day of highschool sounds ADORABLE :syoon:

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Troposphere posted:

you can tell I didn't actually make that chart because jaspis will always have a place in my heart

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8WmaAl6hPzw

Do not ship an abusive relationship. I will skull-gently caress you.

I am an extremely moral shipper

I understand your desire to ship the big buff cheeto puff, but you know how I jested about pearl not wanting any of jasper? I'm pretty sure that is for real WRT Lapis. I'm pretty sure Peridot would forget her stature and leap to protect lapis from jasper if she appear before her. all lapis ships must deal with peridot before they can reach the goal and reel it in!

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 08:19 on Aug 13, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
see the most recent edit to that post

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
DId I mention this is fun? Because realtalk, I really mean that, and, Real Talk, it makes me glad to actually talk Real Talk to folks, really.

even though there is a joke in there, I mean it

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yeah, I think basically it would be like this:

Primary crystal gems: garnet amethyst, and pearl, and steven

Barnyard gems: peridot and lapis

Island gems: jasper and the rubies

and once corruption is curable, corrupted gems would go to the base they were captured in

honestly, if they can turn jasper, all former pink diamond gems could be swayed

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 08:31 on Aug 13, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
does anyone have any cute lapidot pics? I'm kinda feeling jonesin

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

axleblaze posted:

Don't be. Certainly better than starting to get uncomfortably unironic shipping talk

I think its fine to ship, so long as you don't get mean about it. One also needs to accept that the media creators are gonna ship as they think things make sense, which works fine for me, since I tend to line up with that.

also, you don't need to ship people romantically, though you might want to assert what kind of relationship specifically when not implying the primary relationship type associated with that pairing.

and theres no reason to be ashamed of shipping talk, so long as its respectful and whatnot. no one here actually hates shipping I think, its just that It has a bad rep, and we see the worst shipping has to offer because the internet is built to allow people to sift through huge amounts of data to find the most extreme values.

I posit that shipping talk can go on, so long as it meets basic standards of decency.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 19:14 on Aug 13, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
but yeah if anyone finds cute shipping fanart they would like to post I'm game (ps am okay with shipping lapis peridot and amethyst together at once because that reminds me of the cool rear end visual novel We Know the Devil : http://store.steampowered.com/app/435300/

also almost forgot to post my hypothesis that sapphire was responsible for garnets obsession with meat beat mania, because she was having fun using her future vision to predict what would come next, so it became like a high agility mental sport thing.

I think it is cool to imagine which constituent is predominant in a fusion when they do something

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Spatula City posted:

w/r/t shipping, I get why shippers have latched onto the show, but it doesn't really seem like any of the gems are in a place where they could have a healthy romantic relationship. other than Garnet, who IS a relationship. Connie and Steven are a really well-written friendship that could turn into something more, but I'd be perfectly happy if the writers didn't ever completely pull the trigger on that, and left it implied at the end.

Peridot still has a ways to go in terms of empathy and controlling her arrogance.

Pearl still has deep unresolved issues w/r/t Rose.

Amethyst has self-esteem issues, and is still kind of, in an emotional/developmental way a teenager.

Lapis is not only a semi-functional depressed gem, but has unresolved issues w/r/t the Crystal Gems.

and...hoo boy, they're going to have to do a lot of work with Jasper. I'm sure they've got that planned out long-term, but it's going to come much harder than Peridot's redemption, because Peridot never really bought into the cores of Homeworld ideology and never had any personal investment in the war. Jasper is a true believer, feels genuinely aggrieved because of something the leader of the Crystal Gems did, now has a freaky obsession with fusions that kinda serves as a metaphor for having a broken conception of relationships, and has been corrupted, her bad decision stemming from all of the previously mentioned issues.

though, Jasper's redemption is obviously going to involve her bonding enough with one of the gems to fuse in a healthy way. I guess I get why Pick thinks Pearl should fill that role. but has Pearl really interacted with Jasper much at all thus far?

I understand your concerns, though I would posit that Peridot has made great strides, and that relationships are not built in a day anyway (they probably are just friends at this point, which is what they both could probably use right now. It can develop into something more when we can be sure they are doin fine.). Pearl and Amethyst don't even have any options anyway, and by the time they do (if the show really goes on that long), they'll have had a lot more time to calm down.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
which is why I ship lapidot, also now that I think about it, I ship the idea of garnet, but even more. Honestly, I think some time apart allows Ruby and Sapphire to really reaffirm their feelings for each other,and for them to develop as people, which in turn helps garnet to develop (e.g. how garnet has become more outspoken and open since season 1 finale).

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I don't resent that, so long as they sort of deserve it, and can disengage once they've had their fill. Schadenfreude only goes so far ya know.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Yes Omoly, and Undertale has shown us that garbage can be pretty sweet rear end. Troposphere, I don't mind it if you just want to see people smootch when you think them smootching is cool, but any depiction of an actual relationship is gonna remind people of how bad their canon relationship is. I'm okay with what you like, but I figure you already know its just gonna be a tough row to hoe. I feel honestly lasper is good for a crack pairing, but your gonna have to really jiggle them relation ship valence shells to make it work (e.g. recharacterize folks, and give accompanying development to supplement their preexisting personas).

Basically, if you like lasper, write that fanfiction, put your heart into it, add some sugar and spice and everything nice, and link it here so I can enjoy it for the heartfelt desire for people to be happy that will hopefully reside within it.

real talk, I just want some fun fanfiction to read. like stuff that understands its limits and tries to make things fun anyway.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 07:40 on Aug 14, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Really real talk, I think fanfiction can be good, even when its bad. It just has to own it.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
You know, I feel like I've been marginally cogent, and seemed like I'm not serious at all when I've been posting here, but I want people to know I am being like half for real here: I think rather than wallowing in how horrible fandom feels (ignoring it is not appropriate, as it is bad and should not ignored), we should show the brighter side of fandom, how our mutual appreciation for a work can bring us together, and let us laude the creative among us, whether for their skill or for their enthusiasm, or both. Let this art stimulate us to create art, whether we use the current paints, mix them with some of our own, or simply create an entirely new work out of inspiration.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Troposphere posted:

I've been reading a lot of fic lately

What kind of fic? I'm curious. I might read it if I've consumed the media before. Come to think of it, could there be fanfic that can be appreciated without knowing much of the work it takes from?

I understand you guys's trepidation with stuff like this. I really think we should give it a try and let folks stretch their legs. we just need to be decent about things, and I think they can work.

remember, being open minded doesn't mean being inclusive to human slime.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 07:57 on Aug 14, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I don't think that is the clear takeaway from his attempts to get homeworlders to turn. He might cut his losses with anyone formerly under pink diamond though, at least until he can turn jasper to strike doubt into their hearts.

If the Crystal Gems are to have any hope of standing up to homeworld, they must convince as many of them to turn to their side, especially if they can't get uncorrupting gems down quick.

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 08:01 on Aug 14, 2016

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Night guys. Remember, there is a person on the other side of that post, who probably has common ships, common likes, and common ground, you just need to look for it. everyone here is a good enough person, and wants to have fun talking about, drawing about, and even writing about Steven Quartz Universe and his friends and family. I for one, Think you are all great.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I bet amethyst has hosed a dude.

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

I bet amethyst has hosed a dog.

reply Is not edit, and while I might believe the former in some weird steven universe after hours show, I have no reason to believe the latter.

I'm just going to reply to posts as if they are serious and you can't stop me.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I just like fanart of ships. beyond that I don't really care actually

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
Its like the episode promo got put in an anime centrifuge, and split into two different promos.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
I honestly think Lapis has actually made great strides already, and that while I'm sure there is loads of problems still rattling in her head, that she seems to be on a perfectly good course to deal with them at her own pace, with the help of some friends (should she want the help).

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
ermehgurd Onyern turked!1

nooOOoooOoOo

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009
you know, considering how much time they've had to examine it, humans in su have probably understood a lot about the gems for a while, including their language. The highest echelons of government were probably freaking out about the cluster, and might even still be doing so.

I understand there is a bigger world out there, but eventually we are gonna hear more about what the world knows of, and thinks of the gems.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

twistedmentat posted:

I feel like the weakness of Ronaldo's character is that in a show with crazy weird poo poo going on all the time, there doesn't need to be a character who points out how crazy and weird things are because the characters involved with said weirdness are fully aware of just how crazy things are.

It like someone running around pointing out its raining.

No you see, he is a conspiracy theorist about either entirely different things that aren't real, or he nearly hits the mark without realizing so.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Otherkinsey Scale posted:

The last episode that was particularly focused on anything LGBT was Last One Out of Beach City, months ago. (And if you want to distinguish between focusing on a theme and just happening to have a theme, that was an 80s homage that just happened to have two women.)

Since then we've had Onion and his weird friends, a Very Crystal Gem Thanksgiving, "what is a baby", five episodes about an alien abduction, Crystal Gems West, and a holodeck malfunction.

Honestly, it could be gayer.

Honestly I would like some MYSTERY GIRL ALREADY.

Yeah, I just think this most recent episode could use some more humor in it, like steven realizing he got bamboozled by renaldo.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Nobody is making you watch. Enjoy it for what it is, or go do something else.

I feel like statements like this are a gotcha, since someone either likes something, and then why do they have a problem? or they don't like something, and then why are they watching? It disallows a reason to actually complain and like the show at the same time.

Kind of annoying when someone doesn't like something and wants to discuss that with fellow fans. One should understand that the strongest critics of a show are its biggest fans, because they actually give enough of a drat to actually give cogent criticism.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

There's a wide spread belief that season four is the worst season yet. Not so much because every episode is bad, but because it sort of just feels like there's not a lot going on right now. There's no real immediate threat to the heroes, nor do they have any sort of goal they're working actively towards. It feels like there's a lot of pointless meandering happening; which gets a little frustrating because there are so many interesting things that we know exist, but seem to have been forgotten about (remember Gem monsters?)

I think it is fine to not have a major goal right now, but they have to learn how to design an episode around that lack of a goal. Also they should totally be trying to build up defenses to deal with a possibly approaching homeworld.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

EoRaptor posted:

Criticism is fine, but this was just a complaint that Milky Moor didn't like these episodes. The whole reason for that complaint seems to be 'They don't have anything of interest to say to me', which the show creators are under no obligation to provide and which people are really sick of hearing as a complaint about Steven Universe.

The show is aimed at tweens who are getting into puberty and all the unknown that contains, who are just starting to experience the politics of group dynamics, and who may feel there isn't anything in the media they see and experience that relates to their experiences. I am not in that target market, and I don't find these episodes useful to me, however I understand and respect the intent of the creators, understand and respect the value that it brings to its target audience, and understand and respect the value it has to those individuals.

Some people don't seem to get all that, and want the show to do other things they find more interesting. And yes, those requests vs the content of the very episode we are currently speaking about is not something I am unaware of, I'm just trying to not to call it out directly because if they didn't listen the first time, berating them about it isn't going to change anything.

Alright? I just wish they would do something about mystery woman or something like that if they are going to ignore the sword hanging over them that is homeworld.

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Milky Moor posted:

I will willingly and happily post a more detailed critical breakdown about the problems of this season, particularly by comparing to the three previous seasons, if you'd like?

I fear it might hurt your argument that it's just a shallow 'dislike' on my part, though.

For example, dismissing criticism by implying that the show is beyond it due to being aimed at 'tweens' is a pretty big disservice to the previous seasons, as well as children in general, who really aren't stupid. More importantly, and more obviously, do you really think that 'tweens' have any concept of the stuff that the Rocknaldo episode was arguing against? It isn't 'tweens' who engage in that behavior, my friend!

then please do, provide the criticism I mean. Posturing does nothing. I say this to ask you to bring on the criticism since I figure it will help me to coalesce my own criticisms. I be not a sarcastic landlubber, though I do be one who suddenly shifts in ter a pirate voice for no reason me hearty.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

thechosenone
Mar 21, 2009

Who What Now posted:

I didn't call you evil. You do seem really defensive about this, though, which is usually an indication that somebody feels attacked. Maybe you should take a step back and take a few deep breaths, my dude. This thread isn't that serious.

you sort of implied it when you protested against having said that. I also now realize how annoying it sounds when I tell people to cool down now that I'm looking at someone else do it. As it is, it is very much possible to make the issues of a smaller group feel more univer-seriously why aren't they prepping for homeworld fights and Pearl should be flirting with mystery girl while working on a lazer cannon!

UGH

thechosenone fucked around with this message at 17:26 on Feb 26, 2017