Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

TwoPair posted:

Well I think that was very satisfying except I hated basically everyone's new forms (except for Peridot Shock and maybe Garnet).

But even this happy of an ending didn't give me a Steven and Connie (and/or Lars and Sadie) non-fusing kiss because I love those adorable children.

We all knew Pearl was gonna get her "Head of the PTA" jacket sooner or later

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I don't believe for a goddamn second that Amethyst went two years without poofing. 1/10, awful movie

Ok really, loved it. "No Matter What" and "Independent Together" are ridiculously catchy. Definitely related to Steven acknowledging that his dead mother wasn't exactly the best person, and neither version of Spinel wore out their welcome. Reminded me of an older Disney film a little, too.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Season 6 is just Sailor Moon season 1, featuring Connie as Tuxedo Mask

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
It's probably just my personal experience, but I've always found the slow reveal that maybe Rose wasn't such a great person to be the most fascinating arc in the series.

Minimal backstory on me: I was shipped off to boarding school when I was 14. My mom died Labor Day weekend my senior year. I didn't really get a lot of time with her during those formative years when I started becoming who I am, and I was also competing against 4 other siblings. So I never really hit that point where you realize that your parent is a person, not some perfect being.

And man, when you hit that realization and you can't talk to them about it, it's absolutely crushing. It changes everything. It makes you question everything. I had been told that my personality was a lot like her's, and when the realization hit, I tried to change who I was because I didn't want to be her. It's so much harder to justify someone's actions when they can't give you their side. And it's difficult to not see their actions as objectively "good" or "bad". The shades of gray just vanish. And I really like how they handled it in the series. Pearl feels immense guilt for hiding those secrets, Sapphire and Amethyst feel betrayed but eventually come to terms with it, and Ruby tries to justify it. Steven gets depressed. All very realistic ways to cope.

Yes, what she did to Spinel was hosed up. And the fact that not even Pearl knew what Pink did speaks volumes about Pink's character. There's no way she just forgot about Spinel. Either she was so ashamed she couldn't even tell the person who knew her biggest secret, or she was just THAT awful. But the fact that Steven just kinda took that revelation more or less in stride was a subtle, but incredibly strong showing of his development. He's visibly affected and appropriately horrified, but he's not letting it get to him because the big shock hit him long ago.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She would be if she could just turn it off (without flying into a murderous rage). She's genuinely sweet and just wants people to be happy, but that happy-perky and clinginess dialed up to 11 is a hard thing to keep around long term.

...Or I could just be a terrible person. Either/or

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Season 6 is a four year long arc about Pearl working up the nerve to call the pink-haired woman. Another war then starts as a direct result

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
So we all got Calcabrina vibes from Amethyst, right?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
The next bad guy is That Bitch Helen from the PTA as Pearl runs for president. It was subtly foreshadowed by her new jacket and personality

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Edit: Nevermind

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

If I were Pink, I'd've modified my abandonment game to include watering the loving plants while I'm gone.

"When you start crying can you make sure you do it over the flowers? Thaaaaaaaaaanks! Love you, mean it!"

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I found myself re-watching the expanded intro song video (insomnia sucks rear end), and I remember thinking that Yellow Diamond was gonna be a lot worse than she ended up. I thought for sure she was gonna be the one who shattered Pink Diamond and the final arc was gonna be about saving the other Diamonds from her. I had thrown out my Rose Quartz = Pink Diamond theory earlier.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Hemingway To Go! posted:

I'm kind of hoping that the rejuvenator arc in the movie, despite how much I actually liked it, is sort of a coda on the three moms and we're going to explore other gems in season 6.

Like we've now seen that even if Garnet, Amethyst, and Pearl, and STEVEN had to start over from where they started as gems they'd get home again. Feels like there's not much further they could go with them after that.

You forgot the trope of all established couples on TV: Ruby and Sapphire's fertility issues

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Plant MONSTER. posted:

Blue Diamond is the heaviest drinker

Oh undoubtedly.

Blue Diamond is Wine Mom

Yellow Diamond is Competitive Mom

White Diamond is Helicopter Mom

Pink Diamond was Cool Mom

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 04:11 on Sep 19, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

thexerox123 posted:

You definitely get to see Pink's escalating boredom and annoyance with Spinel in the montage before she gets the news of her own colony.

You can even see Steven getting annoyed by her. And who is Steven annoyed by? The Diamonds and that's literally it.

Well, maybe Ruby and Sapphire at the motel

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
What happens if two gems who have their gem in the same spot fuse?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Let's not forget the entire Cookie Cat song.

Do you think Pearl ever saw these parallels and just did that inward cringe we all do?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Ghost Leviathan posted:

I vaguely remember as such. Uncle Grandpa also gives Steven advice for taking care of his Gem that befits a diamond, not a rose quartz.

If there's foreshadowing in the Uncle Grandpa episode I will hunt Rebecca Sugar down and make her cry using only my words

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
You know, I think original Spinel would have fit in with the Crystal Gems eventually, had Pink Diamond taken her along. She's clearly capable of moving past that co-dependency and definitely would be a force to be reckoned with. She goes toe-to-toe with Garnet and has a strategic mind. She's definitely open to meeting and knowing people beyond Pink as well. Maybe the mistake was her and Pink being alone.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Their next enemy is the Philosopher's Stone. Steven starts calling her Phyllis

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Steven, Garnet, and Amethyst just need to sit Pearl down and have her write down all the secrets she has

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I just realized what everyone sings about in Happily Ever After is what brings them back to normal. Steven talks about growing and changing, Pearl talks about becoming her own Gem, Garnet even has the word "question" in her verse and the word "answer" prompts her recovery, and Amethyst sings about not knowing anything or anyone at all.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Madurai posted:

Lapis was harvested, but she got better.

Clearly

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
She wasn't sure where to put the star so she just put it everywhere

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Honesty time: How long after starting the series did it take you to realize where Garnet's star was?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Necrotizer F posted:

Unfortunately Steven loses control of it at a critical moment and accidentally turns everyone in the universe into depressed lesbians, due to all that concentrated gay sadness.

And that will be the arc for Season 7.

Season 7 will involve Jasper becoming this world's Magneto. She's already got the cool helmet

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Steven Universe Future: Steven Drives His Van Into Your Heart

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Aquamarine reminded me a ton of Dolores Umbridge. She's align with whoever's in charge for the sake of having power herself, until she's at a point where she can change things how she sees fit. Maybe something like that is going on

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

BioEnchanted posted:

A cute thing in the background of the "Driving through Beach City" scene is Lars hanging out with his parents with his arms around them as his dad takes a photo. The cool kids are sitting a little away from them as well, Lars just doesn't care anymore :3: He's come so far.

also one of the corrupted Jaspers is chilling with Sour Cream and Buck as their new third, Jenny is with her family instead.

Although he is still at the very beginning, notably not singing. Some things never change

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I am a little upset to see this end. I've loved this show since it started. But I'm also glad for the crew. It's rare for something of this magnitude to end on the creator's terms, and the last thing I'd want is for this to turn into the cartoon Supernatural.

That said, this is Cartoon Network so make like Spinel and wait for 6000 years to see what happens next

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Good luck finding flip flops at that height. I have problems finding them sometimes and I'm only 6 foot 2

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Literally Kermit posted:

Well gently caress, I’m hype for Peridot Future

I would love a spinoff series that's just Peridot recounting the entire saga to make herself look like the hero. Peridot doing the voices of the Crystal Gems included

"It was then that the Great and Lovable Peridot wrestled Jasper until she poofed!"

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 12:44 on Oct 5, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Wait, was Pumpkin in the intro?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
I'd imagine the epilogue would have something to do with how they end up making more gems. Peridot says that Homeworld is running out of resources, and if the Diamonds gave up their colonies that'd definitely stop production.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Bongo Bill posted:

They had the ending written early during the production of season 1, and developed a plan to have as many side plots as they could fit in as many seasons as they could get. Those side plots also needed resolution, and that's what Future is for.

Apparently Sugar confirmed that Bismuth was the one who poofed Lapis way back when. That's gonna be an awkward conversation.

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Zulily Zoetrope posted:

Sunstone may not have been strictly necessary

Excuse me, until I saw Change Your Mind I didn't know I was not supposed to try this at home

EDIT: I got the point about Rainbow Quartz 2.0 immediately, the capstone on Pearl and Steven's shared journey. Sunstone I felt was thrown in so Sugar wouldn't be answering the question about what a Steven/Garnet fusion would be for the rest of her life, but I still liked it and thought it was just funny enough to not take away from the seriousness of the episode. I'm always a sucker for a fourth wall joke.

That said, I would have vastly preferred episodes focused on those fusions rather than a solid 2 minutes altogether.

Rabbi Raccoon fucked around with this message at 15:21 on Oct 7, 2019

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Timeless Appeal posted:

Smokey Quartz is all the fun of Amethyst without her self-hatred

Did you not see Know Your Fusion?

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!

Pachylad posted:

Getting a feeling that this is now the new Lapidot right down to how with both its immense popularity and surprising plausibility that it might actually also be semi-confirmed (or teased to heaven and back) in the show itself

"Corrupted Steven" theory a.k.a. WormTheory

If the final confrontation is Steven's repressed emotions, everyone is so hosed. The only way to beat him would be to go Maximum Sailor Moon

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
All I want before the series goes away is something involving time travel where Sapphire and Ruby meet Garnet in person because I imagine it'd be the most joyous thing

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
For a split second I thought that sign said "Eat a bag of dicks"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rabbi Raccoon
Mar 31, 2009

I stabbed you dude!
Pearl is horny for pink hair

Garnet is horny for herself

And we all saw Amethyst's eyes when she slid up to Steg