Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

who the fuck is scraeming
"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Jasper beats up Lars and starts dating Sadie, thus making Sadie the Bulma to Jasper's Vegeta.

Lars is of course Yamcha.

This is a good and true post. I hope they do a Yamcha crater tribute with Lars.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I hope that when Stephen turns 18, he stays exactly the same as he is now, but sprouts like a completely lovely teenage mustache.

Then when he turns 25, he immediately transforms into that glorious Hair Giant that tumblr folks keep drawing him as.

Source: http://maariamph.tumblr.com/post/116049627968

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Blasphemeral posted:

You know that the word "relationship" refers to any set of interactions or connections you have with another human being, right? As in, you have one with each of your friends, with each of your teachers, with each of your parents, etc. It doesn't have to be about sex, and most relationships people have in their life are not about sex.

Yes, but juxtaposing "lesbian" and "straight" in that same statement, which is what happened, makes it involve sex. I don't say I'm in a gay relationship with my male friends.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

T-man posted:

...why? Describing relationships in terms of the genders of the participants isn't uncommon -- or have you never been in a bromance? Or gone out with your girlfriends? The assumption that all intimacy and affection denotes sexual undertones is an old and entrenched idea, and I doubt this show gives much credence to it's taboo.

Yeah, and none of those terms are "lesbian" or "straight". It turns out that words have different definitions. If your "bromance" involves cuddling and watching Netflix, then you're either using the term ironically or deluding yourself.

I don't know what kind of godawful robot says "I'm in a straight relationship with my friends. No gay stuff here," but I guess probably they're members of Congress.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Brother Entropy posted:

there are straight and lesbian asexuals

Okay, fine. "Attraction," for all you hetero/homo/pan/whatever-romantic asexuals in the audience.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Brother Entropy posted:

so your objection is a kid's show showing romantic attraction among preteens in general? because man you're gonna have a looooong list of shows to be bothered by before getting to steve u

No, my objection was

Blasphemeral posted:

You know that the word "relationship" refers to any set of interactions or connections you have with another human being, right? As in, you have one with each of your friends, with each of your teachers, with each of your parents, etc. It doesn't have to be about sex, and most relationships people have in their life are not about sex.

in response to

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm really uncomfortable with that analogy side of Stevonnie, because Steven is 14 and Connie is 12.

which was a reaction to

metalloid posted:

the literal embodiment of a lesbian relationship giving mindfulness and partnership advice to the literal embodiment of a straight relationship and it's all done so well. i love this show so much

I was making a solid attempt to poo poo on Blasphemeral for suggesting that "lesbian" and "straight" don't imply certain things about romantic attraction by way of definition. If I say I'm in a straight relationship with my platonic female friend, then I have lied.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nice Meltdown.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Pick posted:

Ruby is a jerk and Sapphire can do better.

There's a darkest timeline where Sapphire is in a committed relationship with Jamie, who is dressed like Ruby.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

DolphinCop posted:

did the scott pilgrim game have combo attacks like the simpsons arcade game did? because that's what would really take it to the next level

There was a button you could hold down to make everybody whip out instruments and start jamming, which did damage over time to enemies proportionate to the number of people playing music IIRC

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Focacciasaurus_Rex posted:

Today's wild speculation:

The yellow diamond peridot contacted isn't the real yellow diamond, the real yellow diamond was in the spinning pyramid. The gem had a yellow tint, and everything dissapeared in yellow light, and the place was a huge puzzle. If Peridot is to be believed, YD was all about logic and reasoning so it fits.

The YD we say in the contact device isn't the real YD, they're just a bunch of topazes or smashed badgers or something posing as YD. Either so she can blow up the planet and prevent the real one from showing up, or just to keep the gems civilization from collapsing entirely.

I think Jasper would have figured that out, since it seems to be the case that Pink Diamond didn't get shattered until after she was born.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
This episode was so good :allears:

We got to see Bad Pearl, and we got to see Bad Pearl have an awkward crush on a human lady. This was a really good Pearl episode, and it's pretty entertaining to see what happens when she exits her comfort zone and tries to adopt her "terrifying renegade Pearl" persona.

I think my favorite bit was, "I've already been a criminal for 6,000 years. :smaug:"

I was also pretty amused when she decided to try drinking her juice, and couldn't figure out how cans work.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

InequalityGodzilla posted:

I'm not sure if you really understand Pearl's role on the show. :colbert:

In all seriousness though, I doubt Pearl will project that much onto Mystery Girl but I'd say the odds of her accidentally referring to MG as "Rose" at some point or another are about 80%.

I hope Mystery Girl becomes a recurring support character next season, so we can see her reactions to things like:
  • Pearl's tiny middle-schooler swordfighting protege who battles monsters 8x her size
  • The flying island where Pearl teaches Connie how to kill
  • Stevonnie
  • Amethyst's Room
  • The guy from those burger commercials

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
I just realized something about Bad Pearl.

Those clothes weren't illusions, which means Pearl has just had a Bad Pearl outfit in storage for like potentially 30+ years.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Whiz Palace posted:

Just take everyone's misery and transfer it into Lars.

The solution that's best for everybody.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Megaspel posted:

A negroid person is colored, but a colored person may not be the negro. I mean Pearl is probably a negro but I don't know why you're so mad about the word 'colored'.

I hope this hamfisted analogy helps you.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junpei Hyde posted:

What if Pearl gets poofed and when she reforms the jacket is just permanently attached.

This is the brightest timeline. Let's go immediately.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MariusLecter posted:

*Pearl gets snagged in jet engine*

Welp.

That can already happen with her permanently-attached ribbon sash :colbert:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Do people really think mystery girl is a reoccurring thing? She seemed like just some 80s movie reference for this 80s reference episode. She didn't seem like a real character, just a plot point for pearl.

I just kinda feel like there's way too much effort apparent in her design for her to be a total throwaway. Like, they didn't just draw Rose in a punk outfit, they designed a whole character who superficially resembles Rose.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

MrSlam posted:

Jasper needs a crying-song. If she gets redeemed it better be a training montage in the vein of I'll Make A Quartz Out Of You.

Steven's gonna sing Strong in the Real Way to her, and the final verse is gonna be her singing it, only she missed the whole point and her lyrics are actually just about punching stuff.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junpei Hyde posted:

Yeah, but we still haven't seen any more of Tiger Millionaire :colbert:

Listen, Tiger Millionaire could be anybody behind that mask. We've never seen Tiger Millionaire and Vidalia in the same room together. Follow the money, people! The Jungle money.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Junpei Hyde posted:

You'll need to crop it obviously.

This precious angel :allears:
Pearl facial expressions were super on-point this week.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Jia posted:

Oh, goo-

Oh. :(

Are hiatuses common? How do you deal with just getting ten minutes of show every so often?

There was like a 2 month hiatus before Summer of Steven :v:
This summer has been probably one of the longest stretches of regularly-occurring Steven Universe episodes.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
That's my secret. The thread is always ruined :smuggo:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

GunnerJ posted:

I thought it was under California or something though.

Actually what's California called here?

It might not be populated by humans, on account of all the gem stuff that happened there. Hollywood is in Kansas, after all.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Motherfucker posted:

latest episode sucked and was bad tbh

I don't know how you can say that when it's the first time we met the new protagonist, Soup :colbert:

also

MrSlam posted:

Or, Uncle Grandpa is a benevolent eldritch anomaly. He is both creator and byproduct. Both Uncle and Grandpa. He is the tire-swing on Kabbalah's tree of life.

I'm pretty sure that's canon to Uncle Grandpa. He's Steven's uncle and grandpa, just like he is Greg's uncle and grandpa, and your uncle and grandpa. Uncle Grandpa is life, and love :birddrugs:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Has anybody done the gag with Rose Quartz dressed like Big Boss, giving a speech about soldiers without borders to a bunch of gems in star fatigues?

Pearl should probably be Miller, but instead it's Garnet because of sunglasses.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

LashLightning posted:

I'm assuming Bud is going to be Raiden. Someone has gotta let rip the RULES OF NATURE! *guitar rip*

Connie is definitely Raiden. Child Soldier, gets into fights with things like 10x her size, brings a sword to various types of non-sword fights, drives like a maniac.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

twistedmentat posted:

It's the best example of "if you replace a woman with a man in a video game, does it look silly?" I've seen.

There are some really good ones for Street Fighter V, as well.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kMfggshW7bg

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flying-PCP posted:

There's also the remote chance that JetWolf will make her SU liveblogs public if she happens to finish the series some five years or so from now. Y'know, since the fans ran her off from posting them publicly by being continuously acting like assholes.

:stare: Is that what happened? I assumed she just got bored with the project, since her tumblr is like wall-to-wall Sailor Moon and dogposts. I mostly skim past it so I can see gundam models and the rest of the bullshit in my feed instead.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
My tumblr feed is a real mess now because Steven didn't punch out his racist uncle.

Like, 3 months ago yall wanted Steven to defeat a genocidal god-queen from space by teaching her a lesson about friendship. What the gently caress did you think he was going to do with a member of his own family :v:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off
Oh, also, "Pitter Patter of fully-formed gem soldiers" and Lapis's awkward mirror freakout at the table were both really good :3:

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Nina posted:

Ngl it feels weird that they decided to give a thinly veiled thanksgiving episode a double airtime.

I mean, it is what it is. The episode was already made like months ago, on their production cycle, so it's not like Rebecca Sugar was like, "They blew it up! Let's make a PSA about not setting your trump-supporting uncle on fire" back when the episode was animated/voiced.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Flying-PCP posted:

I doubt it. Awkward timing of the 'Illegal Alien' jokes aside, it seems like there's a gulf between how the writers meant for Andy to come across and the real world relatives a lot of people are equating him with.

I think there'd a lot less vitriol for Andy if people understood that this episode was probably in the can like months ago, and doesn't really have anything to do with the election. It's not like the South Park process where they literally make an episode that week so they can make fun of whatever the current thing is.

Andy's issue wasn't that he was like a white nationalist Values Voter with very specific ideas about what constitutes a Real American, it's that his stubborn streak and belligerent personality caused him to drift away from his family and he convinced himself it was everybody else's fault for not putting up with him.

The fact is that this year has revealed, for a lot of people, the seedy underlying ideologies of people they thought they knew and trusted, and they are probably projecting that onto Andy.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Who What Now posted:

Isn't a majority of animation done in Korea, anyway? I can't think of any shows off hand that are done entirely in studio or even in America for that matter.

I think South Park does it all in house, but their workflow is different because they're like puppeteering pre-fab models kinda flash animation-style. You can say what you will about how South Park's influence is toxic to the discourse or whatever, but their behind the scenes process is pretty fascinating. They bust rear end in their relatively small studio to write and animate episodes sometimes the same week that they air, so that they can be making fun of the latest thing.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

morcant posted:

Same with Peridot wearing a visor over hers. Maybe Steven just needed to get used to it, and was way more sensitive to it as a baby.

Visor might be okay. There was kind of a throwaway line from... the pilot, I think, about how the gems get their energy from starlight.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Allow me to retort.

1, 7, and 13 erryday

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

They all get December off. It's vacation time bro!

Yeah, Cartoon Network is probably a ghost town right now. Like some kinda Skynet that loves Uncle Grandpa, who is everybody's uncle and grandpa, including Skynet.

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

RottenK posted:

pearl no

:allears: I see you reached the "week of Sardonyx"

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

Rand Brittain posted:

I don't really feel like Lars and Peridot are very similar internally at all, even if they're both abrasive and touchy on the outside. Peridot doesn't really have the eggshell-thin skin and desperate attempts to front that are Lars' #1 character traits.

Peridot is actually extremely confident about herself, which is basically the opposite of Lars. Even if she's doing something weird, like making abstract barn art or deciding to plant a farm for no reason, she leans fully into it and is super psyched about the project, and also is doing it for genuine self-actualization reasons instead of a shallow attempt to be liked.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

deadly_pudding
May 13, 2009

"LOG OFF" at my house.
show yourself, coward.
i will never log off

IronSaber posted:

*Checks graph of show ratings for SU*

*Sees that Say Uncle is the lowest rated*

Yyyyyeah, I would take all those ratings with a grain of salt because IMDB apparently doesn't have a sense of humor. :colbert:

Don't you know? Real Cool Adults can only consume media if they can convince themselves that it's very serious and meaningful.