Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Ahhh I was just rewatching Sworn to the Sword today and wondering when we'd get to see Stevonnie in Connie's awesome training outfit :swoon:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Counterpoint: I wish literally every single new episode of Steven Universe was released tomorrow. Please don't end the marathon. :(

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Oh gently caress off. It has nothing to do with the fact it's often poorly done, people get really annoyingly into it and really it just a while bunch of wish fulfillment over anything to do with the characters or the series. People don't like it because it's girly. Us, the people in SU thread, just don't like things associated with women.

I probably would have been the dipshit twelve year old who thought SU was too girly for me :(

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Sometimes I forget that I'm fandom trash but then remember I have a Pearl av :v:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Infinitum posted:

Cause Lapidot is confirmed.

This scene made me so happy :3: I'd rock a tambourine Lapis av if someone could get that second one well

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

This is a Lapis avatar. It reminds me of the time someone made me a Lapis avatar. :geno:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Why did someone steal my av :(

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Macaluso posted:

Guys it's an avatar on an online forum. It's not that big of a deal if you guys have the same one

But it's like my internet face! :saddowns:

I don't actually care all that much but it made me momentarily a little sad. Good av choice tho SpacePig.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Cats are probably the one of the most adaptable families of larger animal in the world, all things considered

The only things that can reasonably dent a cat population are poaching and a lack of food.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I think Giant Woman is what I would recommend as a first episode. It's the first episode where you really get to see the Pearl/Amethyst interaction at full intensity so you don't lose much by not having seen much of their relationship before that, and it has everything. A good song, lots of good jokes, and for my money one of the absolute best action sequences in the whole series (also with awesome music). Alternatively,

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I think it's sweet that Steven has healing kisses. :3: Rose mourned for the Earth but Steven can love it unconditionally.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

*sentient gem monster attacks little girl who just teleported hundreds of miles on a beam of light*
"But how is she even lifting that sword??"

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

subpar anachronism posted:

I thought this Garnet makeup was really cool so I wanted to share it.

link to artist fb

oh my gooooooooooood :swoon:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I'm ready for this to be The Best Episode.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

WarpedNaba posted:

Something something great cleavage on that gem.

Stop.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

oh gosh this show is good :3:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Junpei Hyde posted:

Connie killed a man.

Hold the phone.

Now give the phone to me.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

RandomFerret posted:

So I bought some beads of actual lapis lazuli to try and take my work to the next level, and when I took the dremel to one it started to smell. Turns out the deep blue colour of lapis lazuli is due to its high sulphur content, and when you cut into it the sulphur gets released into the air.

If you crack lapis lazuli, it farts.

:stare: Beautiful.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

chitoryu12 posted:

This episode wasn't funny! It wasn't funny at all!

Hold the phone.

Now give me the phone.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

But it didn't look that different from the show as usual, which...kinda defeats the purpose of a guest animator?

Takafumi Hori enjoys drawing shockingly on model Steven Universe fanart.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

axleblaze posted:

Eh, that might be true if some styles, but I can't think of any if the current good CN shows that wouldn't show consequence. Hell, even TTG would have shown it if only to make the team feel bad.

Gumball thrives on making a mess of everything and then pretending it never happened.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H0Sy6GJAQto

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

SlothfulCobra posted:

I don't think I liked this episode. Most of it is introspection about events that happened offscreen during the episode, and we the viewers are not a party to the actual introspection, we only see Stevonnie sitting pensively as a vague, mostly unrelated visual metaphor plays out. And all this in the name of training children to have the instinct to kill. Real great.

Pretty snazzy animation though. Real fluid amorphous blobs there.

This episode is a good example of everything happening from Steven's perspective (and the fusions he's involved in by association). Connie had done something that upset her, and even though Steven didn't know the specifics, we can still see how Stevonnie experiences Connie's pain. It gives some interesting insight into Garnet's experience too, we've seen her talk to herself and nearly fall apart before with the forced fusions, which is probably how she knows exactly what Stevonnie is dealing with in the first place. Garnet was teaching Stevonnie how to talk through your issues with your friends and partners because she's an expert at it.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

A lot happened in this episode because Steven Universe is fueled by emotional beats and not plot progression.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Pollyanna posted:

Same. I'll watch it again with what I've learned in this thread.

Someday, I gotta do all this CBT/DBT/etc therapy stuff so I can be less neurotic and anxious. Someday.

You can! That's the point of this episode (Mindful Education)! The most basic element of CBT-based forms of therapy is mindfulness - you stay present in the moment, acknowledge thoughts as they come, process them, and let them go. We get stuck on things and build them up in our heads and if you never actually deal with your issues, they'll just fester and take up more and more emotional energy. It's a lot like breathing, you have to let your thoughts in and be able to let them go.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

If anyone can get a good .gif of Stevonnie sitting lotus position at the end of the song I'll change my avatar so I'm not cribbing on my Lapis friend's internet face.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Shima Honnou posted:

Make the other guy change because I'm pretty sure that one has random green pixels and looks bad.

Yeah but I want a Stevonnie being mindful avatar :kiddo:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Uncorrupting gems is obviously going to involve Steven astral projecting into some hosed up traumatic dreamscape, probably involving the possibility of him getting corrupted while trying, so it's not going to be something he can just casually do for all the hundreds and hundreds of bubbled gems in the temple.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Augus posted:

Man, between this and Inside Out it's pretty amazing what animators are doing these days to teach kids really important lessons about dealing with emotions and stress, in really intelligent and mature ways without talking down to them. It's just so good.

It's really cool. I can't help but wish I had this show a decade ago.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Pink is going to end up being a somewhat sympathetic character and Rose's story will become even more emotionally muddled.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Data Graham posted:

I made this comment in jest but I sort of wonder whether The Lion King was trying to make the same point, but in a decade before things like advanced therapy techniques were a thing? Successive scenes/story points dealing specifically with how to deal with traumatic or shameful moments from your past that you allow to gnaw at you; you can ignore them and pretend they don't matter (hakuna matata), or you can face them—with the help of a partner—and do something about them. But do either of those methods fit with the DBT/CBT stuff we're talking about here? Engaging with your memories, acknowledging them, but not letting them affect you in the here and now?

Was it a shallower attempt to have the same conversation with the same audience, or an equally forward-thinking one for its era?

It's not just the message, but the people involved, and how they're portrayed as real people with emotional depth and complexity. That a character like, say, Stevonnie can even exist in a children's cartoon blows my mind. Young queers have never had anything like this show in the past and it's a big deal.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Wind Waker is actually the best Zelda but we know Steven has excellent taste because he likes Gitaroo Man.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

BigRed0427 posted:

So I heard from "Other Places" On the internet that the show was being canceled? Bullshit> Not Bullshit? Just a bunch of Youtubers going for click bait?

This show is wildly successful and drives a ton of merchandise, it's not going anywhere. Maybe they're talking about where they live specifically? Or just bullshitting.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Combed Thunderclap posted:

After a thorough scouring of the Steven Univers[al Communications Network] there appears to be no evidence that the show will be cancelled any time soon. As of right now it's far more likely that the Crew will run out of content they're excited about creating and giving to us than CN ending the show.

This scouring also led me to puzzle over the latest ratings, which reveal that A) about as many adults 18-64 watch Steven Universe as Anderson Cooper 360 and B) old reruns of shows are still insanely popular. (Note: attempting to interpret ratings from the Cartoon Network perspective requires a lot more data, like how other Cartoon Network shows are doing and, you know, how many under-18s are watching it, since that's their demo for ad buys.)

Reruns own, I switched over to CN earlier and it was right as Here Comes a Thought began. That song makes me so happy y'all. :3:

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Stevonnie owns. Mindful Education only has maybe 30 seconds to a minute of actual on screen action but they're such a good fighter and their moves are rad. Like look at them dodging and countering:

They're perfect :allears:

Philip Rivers fucked around with this message at 20:51 on Aug 29, 2016

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

This show has such amazing attention to detail, I never would have even put all those things together yet it makes perfect sense. Never stop doing what you do Crewniverse.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Farg posted:

why a doormat

Maybe if you have a thing for stepping on boobies or something? I guess??

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

I can't imagine Connie is able to fuse with any gems.

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

Gangringo posted:

I read something by one of the writers, maybe Rebecca Sugar, about how they loved writing for Lapis because they wanted an example of someone with PTSD and/or depression that didn't have to "get better".

That was Lauren Zuke iirc who is cool and queer and I'm glad she's on the Crew.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Philip Rivers
Mar 15, 2010

She posted this on her Tumblr the other day