Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

Yeah, everyone assumed it was the Bismuth in Lion's mane.

Or Woolie.

Every time there's a character with dreads, like Lucio or Bismuth, there's always art of Woolie replacing them it seems

Also don't let tumblr kids ruin your enjoyment, ever since I stopped going near it I stopped getting annoyed about them and they don't ruin my experience anymore

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ArmyOfMidgets posted:

That's why I usually stop checking the thread after two or three days pass since the last episode, poo poo starts getting weird.

Yeah but let me tell you about my gemsona I made after my birthstone, Aquamarine.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I've shipped forever I just didn't know that was what cheering for a romantic pairing was called until like, a few years back

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Man these dolls sure are creepy why would anyone ever collect them *has a billion anime girl figures*

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

My favourite bits of Steven Universe: every single Lion gag ever.

Pink Diamond needs to get her revenge somehow

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Is it just me or are all the Lapis and Jasper comics really kind of creepy in how they make Lapis into an innocent victim and Jasper as nothing but an abuser? Like even after Alone at Sea it's pretty clear both have faults in this and painting Lapis as a victim really oversimplified the narrative.

Jasper just wants a friend but doesn't know how :smith:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

ElMaligno posted:

Lapis probably killed a bunch of people when she stole the ocean and when she gave it back.

Also imprisonment and torture aren't cool and good either

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Momomo posted:

I don't really think the show would have her actually kill people like that. Hell, I really don't think they'll ever imply any gem killed humans.

But yeah, the whole thing about Lapis having blame too has anyways rung kind of hollow with me. Jasper kept her prisoner and probably would've shattered her if she felt like it, I don't really feel like what Lapis did with chaining her down was really that bad.

She took prisoners of gems by the homeworld legal system, Lapis forced them to stay together under the ocean with mental imprisonment

She only attempted to shatter Amethyst, a rebel against Homeworld. People die in war and war is ugly.

Jasper is a product of a system and has baggage with Earth when they killed her Diamond. She's acted until her desperate corruption like an enemy soldier more than anyone with sadistic abuse. She's not 100% innocent but she's not prely the bad guy, just on the other team.

Calling her, an injured POW being held by rebels that killed her leader is wrong :911:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

SpacePig posted:

I do think that makes a fair bit of difference. Jasper thinks she's in the right with what she's doing, which makes it a bit worse.

Honestly, all of the gems have probably killed a lot of people, unintentionally or otherwise, of the course of 5000 years or so.

I hope Jasper is redeemed and all, but I really doubt she's someone that would join the CGs. If push came to shove, and she was threatened directly by Yellow Diamond or something, I can see her joining in and "enemy of my enemy" type of thing, but never really fully joining.

She'd be Vegeta then

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Okay I was going to stay out of this whole conversation, but these kind of bullshit statements really piss me off so here's my take:

I've been in abusive relationships, and I identify with Jasper because even though I hated the situation and had no control over it I still hated the idea of leaving because if I did I would be totally powerless with no way to take care of myself.

That's my experience, and that's how it effects the way I view cartoons.

Some other people have had different experiences that cause them to identify more with Lapis, and that's fine. Abusive relationships, and life in general, are highly complicated and personal.

What isn't fine is poo poo like this, poo poo where you tell all women everywhere how they should feel about something because obviously you know best. You're not helping, you're just being a pretentious self righteous douche.

Say whatever you want about cartoon characters, you wanna talk poo poo about Jasper? Fine. Ya wanna talk poo poo about Lapis? Do it. But don't pretend your feelings about fictional characters makes you some kind of an expert on the lives of abuse victums.

rear end in a top hat.

Using your abuse as justification for your interpretation of characters in a cartoon so nobody can discuss it unless they agree with you is bad social interaction and shuts down the dialog on abuse, which isn't cool. If people are actively seeking out this person who refuses to discuss it though, that's not cool on them.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

Someone that was literally trying to punch a child to death and had kept her in a cage.

She thought the child was a rebel leader that is thousands of years old that assassinated her leader. Putting arrested individuals in holding for transportation back for a trial is normal protocol for extradited criminals, which Lapis could have been.

Also if abuse was coming up during a cartoon conversation with someone I'd just not talk about it, dont be silly.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Inaccurate aa the mech can't crouch.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

MikeJF posted:

Do we even know they've wanted to use opal and sugalite and haven't been able to, or is it just speculation?

I mean it got to the point where a meta episode commented on the cost of Nicki Minaj, so who knows

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

We're so starved for merch of the show that when I saw this at the comic book store I just bought the whole thing. :suicide:

I just bought the ones I wanted off ebay since I didn't want any humans, and stuff like no weapon garnet pearl and amethyst are cheaper than the boxes, peridot is the pricy one at like 25 to 30 bucks.

So if you get two Peridots, sell one.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

That was last season. While this'll probably take up another production slot, none of these shorts sound like they're another extended opening

Plus Matt had confirmed that there were no plans for a new intro

They're just waiting on Jasper right. Right? RIGHT?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

If you can't slog through all the episodes in air order you don't deserve the later parts :colbert:

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

The Jasper question about her deep down motives definitely makes it clear we aren't done with her beyond the meta spoilers, which is good.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

CBT means computer based training to me since that's what I had to do a ton of for my job.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Besesoth posted:

Given the import of a statement like this, you'd think it would be brought up in every discussion of the show's future if it were true.

I do recall someone saying "we're not going to just let this go on forever like Certain Shows We Won't Name" but I don't think anyone's said anything definite about an end date/final season/whatever.

Yeah Gravity Falls from its inception was incredibly clear it had an end date and that it would be only a two season show. I don't see Steven Universe stringing us along.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Whiz Palace posted:

At the start people were saying three seasons - one for each month of summer. But they then said the whole enterprise burnt Alex & team out so much they decided to wrap things up in season 2.

What caused the burnout? Working with Disney, or just writing and producing for it?

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Skippy McPants posted:

On the bright side, Danny Hynes clearly loves the poo poo out of his job.

"Oh, what's that? Funko is making lovely merch for my show? Hold on, I have notes! So many notes!"

No wonder these blind box mini figs are literally the only funko products I ever purposefully bought. The other two came from sub boxes, and are promptly hidden away in figure hell for how bad they look.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Why are we calling slice of life episodes filler :colbert:

It triggers my memories of bad anime filler that I sat through as a dumb kid.

Also don't worry I'm sure Gem Harvest is actually about Lapis and Peridot turning the barn into a pretend farm and they 'harvest' whatever they think is crops, but its just some weird stuff they put in the ground that never grew.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 14:37 on Sep 2, 2016

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I swear to god if this conversation turns into the same poo poo you did with that dumb Lars theory y'all need to get out more

S. is cool and I welcome gay women that aren't rocks in the show

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Supercar Gautier posted:

There hasn't been a specific episode highlighting it directly, but I think Garnet used to have more of a problem being too distant/opaque. As the show has progressed, she's become more affectionate and emotionally available to Steven than I think she used to be, which is nice.

Some of that comes from Estelle not being an experienced voice actress and hating doing a ton of lines, although now she's definitely very comfortable with it while still keeping her short phrasing.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Pick posted:

the gems either killed hitler, or they didn't. pretty hosed up imo

Pearl!

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

It's okay Pearl kept it going into pop:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ilm2FbGMxLA

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I like how Garnet approved of a bunch of kids in a trench coat since she is basically two lesbian rocks in a trench coat

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

GunnerJ posted:

No Florida. This universe is already in better shape than ours.

Climate change thankfully will get us there soon

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Evil Mastermind posted:

Did you know that Tom Scharpling used to do work on the original Kidz Bop albums? Related question: have you ever wanted to hear Greg singing Blink-182?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nNrSISR8o2E

Someone should link this to steven universe fans so it gets a billion likes.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I'm biased in liking Aquamarine because it's my birth stone and I liked her even more in Stuck Together.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I may have put way too much money into these Steven universe plush but at least they look good unlike all the official merch.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

I think first 4 figures, which does premium 150-300 dollar polystone statues, is doing a Steven Universe poll right now on facebook for interest in the series. So if you want them to pursue that license and get actually not poo poo statues, go vote on that there.

Personally my plush from the neat russian lady that makes them is enough for high end steven universe merch, since I got enough drat statues anyways from Overwatch alone.

Look up renchanworkshop on tumblr if you want to see her plush, I ended up getting her first Aquamarine ever so I didn't even have to wait for it to be made. They're all hand made and its her only source of income, she just makes the money in US dollars so she can live like a queen in the Russian steppe.

I bought all those plush over the span of like uh, the last year? The cheapest of all four of those is 75-150 bucks though before shipping, so be warned. And if you don't get EMS shipping, it's going to take 3-5 weeks to get to you because of US/Russian shipping times being awful due to lack of good trade agreements unless its EMS, which still takes 1-2 weeks. Japan to US or China to US EMS takes 3 days and is cheaper.

Also she has a pumpkin plush too, but its uh, you know, just a pumpkin.

C-SPAN Caller fucked around with this message at 01:11 on May 26, 2017

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

LemonLimeTime posted:

Mind posting a link? I can't find it on their FB page.

https://www.facebook.com/groups/first4figures/

You have to join their specific closed group then find the poll and vote in it.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Gruckles posted:

Pink Diamond was an inside job

Someone watched loose zircon

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

kefkafloyd posted:

This is some real Jimmy McGill-level poo poo.

Also Blue Zircon's logic makes a lot of sense, but whodunit in that case? My guess is our Pearl.

Our Pearl or a White diamond inside job imo

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Mighty Dicktron posted:

It was pointed out by Bismuth that Rose Quartz's sword was incapable of harming gems outside of poofing them, remember.

She also said the breaking point was a recent invention after she already shattered pink diamond too, so it wasn't that either.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Rose Quartz lied, Lars died.

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

Lion was just a dead lion pet the made Rose cry lol

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

"Don't worry Connie if you die I can just make you an immortal pink person With super powers"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

C-SPAN Caller
Apr 21, 2010

CherryCat posted:

Well I cared a lot more about Lars dying than I thought I would.

Same and I knew it was going to happen to but I still teared up a little.