Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Something is real wrong with that Dewey's GIF. It keeps warping in weird, VHS-like ways.

Also, on the upcoming episode:
I was hoping Smoky Quartz ability would be the ability to change the direction of force at a whim. As in just take a force vector on herself or her yoyo, and set it to some other arbitrary heading. It would make sense with some of the yoyo tricks they do, and that one weird clown kick they did.

The yoyo is cool too though.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 00:07 on Aug 13, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

axleblaze posted:

She's (Amethyst is) very often at odds with Pearl thanks to theist clashing personality types.

Yeah, it's awful. Pearl is a staunch catholic, but Amethyst is a snake handling irish protestant. You wouldn't believe how often they get into shouting matches over it.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Brother Entropy posted:

there are straight and lesbian asexuals

Didn't we ban that other guy from this thread for bringing up and trying to legitimize Tumblr's weird, made-up special-snowflake internally-inconsistent over-hyphenated gender poo poo?

SlothfulCobra posted:

I'm really uncomfortable with that analogy side of Stevonnie, because Steven is 14 and Connie is 12.

Too bad. Their relationship is platonic right now, and there's no real reason for it not to be anything but platonic, but it's still a straight relationship. :biotruths: incoming, but that's about the median age range (12-16 for boys, 10-14 for girls.) where romantic (and/or, in not-a-kids-show,s sexual) kinds of feelings will start to develop. So there is a strong possibility they'll develop romantic feelings for each other eventually. Potentially soon, depending on when the writers want to handle that. Sorry. :shrug:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Bass Bottles posted:

The best possible Steven Universe videogame would be a clone of the Scott Pilgrim one

I want it so bad :(

Steven Universe: Beach City Brouhaha

Cookie Cats would clearly be the best consumable you could buy. :colbert:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Today's wild speculation:

The yellow diamond peridot contacted isn't the real yellow diamond, the real yellow diamond was in the spinning pyramid. The gem had a yellow tint, and everything dissapeared in yellow light, and the place was a huge puzzle. If Peridot is to be believed, YD was all about logic and reasoning so it fits.

The YD we say in the contact device isn't the real YD, they're just a bunch of topazes or smashed badgers or something posing as YD. Either so she can blow up the planet and prevent the real one from showing up, or just to keep the gems civilization from collapsing entirely.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I don't understand why Ruby was worried about Sapphire in that episode. Gems just come back when poofed, so it would be a minor inconvenience for a major victory.

Maybe they meant she saw she'd be shattered by the attack?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I'm calling it here on how Aquamarine will be dealt with-

Clearly it's going to be by Peridot and Lapis fusing and out-aquamarining her.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Yeah, that too unfortunately.

Aw man, I didn't even know about that one. I still don't think it's worth giving up on over that though. Like you said it's an intentionally nebulous term, and I think that's an important thing to have since gender and sexuality are also often nebulous.

I think a lot of them have gone back to using just LGBT or LGBTA and there's a lot of debate over whether the A should stand for asexual or ally and what I don't understand is why they don't just add a second A so that acronym would finally have enough vowels to actually spell something like LAGBAT or GATBLA.

Anyway, I'll stop talking about this now.

So, you guys think we'll be seeing White Diamond this season?

I do like QUILTBAG, but I think most Asexuals are just misled and have no idea what the U or G are supposed to stand for.

Also, White Diamond is probably a fusion of pink, blue and yellow diamond. Or maybe that's black diamond if they are using CYM

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
My theory is that pink diamond wanted to be shattered so she could be a part of the planet. (Pink flowers, strawberry fields, Lion...)

Just a more extreme version of what Rose Quartz wanted and went through.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Pink Diamond was shattered by a sword, eh?

You know who fuckin' LOVES swords?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Padparadscha might also be able to relay events happening around steven or Lars' hometown to Lars. Keep him up to date on current events. Or as her talents develop she might be able to look deeper into the past. Who knows?

Also, maybe Pink Diamond was never actually shattered. Just poofed and hidden somewhere... Maybe she's the power source of the temple?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

This is getting into rudolph the red nose reindeer territory where everyone hates him because he's different until his deformity turns out to be useful so people like him instead.

It's common for gems outside of normal gem society to develop new powers, so I don't see the issue. :shrug:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Maybe Eyeball gets confused by morphs that have the right shape but wrong color because of his eye ruby. Everything just looks red to him so he wouldn't be able to detect off colors .:kimchi:

Also, gem fusions tend to be powerful... Makes me wonder how powerful caterpillar grandma is.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 31, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

All the other fusions we've seen have been from personalities willing to fight, been trained for combat, or full of rage. Considering her first impulse was to hide I'm gonna say she's probably a fusion of noncombatants and isn't very powerful at all.

Maybe she has a lot of non-combat utility?

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Ownership of gems is not by color. Both blue and pink had sapphires.

I think they meant by faction, and that the faction gems tend to have a tint to match their diamond. Blue/Yellow pearl, blue/yellow zircon, etc.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

QuoProQuid posted:

Is it possible that the Diamonds started Gem Society as a fusion and separated at a later date? It would explain White Diamond's absence and her apparent importance on Home World.

If the three were equals, why is White Diamond the only one with a massive statute dedicated to her?

Maybe the three colored diamonds were equals, and white diamond is a step above?

And it could be possible they were a fusion, if maybe white diamond's fusion worked a bit differently than regular gems? :shrug:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
You know that thing Garnet does, where she is constantly stating her predictions out loud?

No?

Neither do I.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

khwarezm posted:

Lol, this conversation is fascinating to me because you'd swear to god this was the hardest thing in world to keep consistent, but it isn't. Watch almost any other cartoon on the air today and they probably won't have anywhere near the same amount of off-model, bizarrely proportioned characters that SU does. Trust me, the animation industry has existed for more than a century and they've long figured out basic things like model sheets to keep things consistent, and consistency is kind of important since the entire point of animation is drawing the same thing over and over to create the illusion that it's a singular thing going through motion. If the Crewniverse want's my actionable advice maybe just stick to the drat sheets and don't let your story-boarders fly off in any direction they want constantly. There, the empty criticism is now filled.

I thought this was a pretty objective and uncontroversial criticism for a show I love and I'm just responding to dudes who can't handle even that small criticism but will be sure to tell me they totally don't care at all, for sure (they obviously do). All of the defenses are dumb and end up being 'Don't criticize things I like!' and at this point I'm just hoping somebody will come in with something else as comically stupid as that idea that Steven (and Peridot? and Connie?) are literally changing size in-universe for no reason, that poo poo's funny.

Methodology is integral to generating a style, and the style is the lifeblood of any cartoon that doesn't want to look generic. because style is part of the general aesthetic or "feel" of the show. Changes in methodology lead to changes in style lead to changes in the aesthetic/feel. And a lot of shows employ changing character sizes to make them feel more or less imposing as needed.

But, more importantly, It's weird to see someone argue like this on the topic from the opposite end of where it usually is. Too many times I've seen goony internet animation nerds usually argue the exact opposite, that being TOO on model makes it not real animation.

The simpsons, family guy, etc, aren't real animation to a lot of the cartooning community BECAUSE they don't let the characters go off model for comedic effect or to exaggerate action or emotion ever to these people. Including notable geniuses/crazies like John K. Their animation policy in general is to "never draw the same pose or expression twice", and to be as inconsistent as possible to create their animations. John and their studio has other problems, but the actual quality of the animations are not one of them.

Either way, you are exactly as lovely as those people, because you're taking a prescriptivist stance on a topic where it really isn't needed in a conversation where it's not wanted. And you're copping a weird holier-than-thou attitude about it while doing so. And has been pointed out, this is pretty antithetical to the show's message and breezy relaxed feeling, and is just ignorant of the artistic side of animation in general.

So, please just shut up about it. Not because you're wrong, but because you and this derail are both tedious. If you feel the urge to post about inconsistent sizes again, just repeat to yourself "If every porkchop was perfect, we wouldn't have hotdogs." until it goes away.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 12:06 on Dec 22, 2017

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Inescapable Duck posted:

I'm pretty sure the main issue with the John K style is that they aren't never on model, necessarily, but they go out of their way to emphasise things with new poses, and that it's a shitload of work to do so. Even given he quickly turned into a crank, John K still gets a fair amount of respect probably because he clearly believed in putting in a ton of work in cartooning and that the visual storytelling is important. (though I think he ended up neglecting the writing for a lot of it)

Of course, even the direly 'on-model' shows like post-CG Simpsons and Teen Titans Go- and hell, South Park for that matter- still end up having similar issues with scale and inconsistency if you're crazy enough to compare scenes to scenes, maybe less often but it still happens because composition is more important than consistency.

I think people generally have an acceptance for that, because cartoons are meant to be an abstraction of events that would be another load of work to depict in 'reality', with features that wouldn't translate to anything but horror if you saw them in real life, but are cute and easy to follow on the 2D screen. You're already suspending disbelief and watching drawings move about for you, doesn't matter that some drawings are inconsistent when you know they're drawings. (generally)

Also, of all the Gems to have an implied bout of alcoholism... actually, I really shouldn't be surprised it was Peridot.

Yeah. Generally with John K. the problem isn't how it's animated, but what was decided to be animated in the first place, and that he finds other considerations like likable characters or enjoyable stories a secondary concern at best.

I was mostly just trying to point out that his statement "I thought this would be a very uncontroversial statement.", is in fact very controversial in the animation community, because there's so many different ways to go about things, and each different way produces different results.

Personally, I think a lot of SU's animation problems come from budget constraints more than anything, but that's usually how it is. I'd love to see a full budget steven universe movie with extra lush animations. :swoon:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

twistedmentat posted:

The Talking Simpsons guys have a new podcast called What a Cartoon, and the 3rd episode just came out about the first two episodes of SU.

They'd better cover the cartoon network segment they stole their name from.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/What_a_Cartoon!

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
Quartz and Diamond are actually commonly confused with each other, in the same way people often confuse fool's gold with real gold. They aren't made of the same stuff, quartz is silicone and oxygen, while diamond is carbon, but superficially resemble each other.

The main way to tell is either through hardness testing, or with a really strong microscope. Diamonds have a cubic structure, while quartz has a hexagonal structure.

basically, the white gem in the collapsing mystery temple was basically shaped like an actual internal diamond structure.

Rubies and sapphires are the next hardest, rating a 9. Quartz can't scratch it, but diamonds can. Rose Quartz rates a 7, just for the curious. regular Amethysts are also 7, Peridot is a 6.75, jasper a 6.75, nephrite a 6.25. Sugilite a 6.25, lapis a 5.5 (about the same as glass), and pearl a whopping 3.

This lines up nicely, but not exactly, with the gem power levels. It's probably what their caste system is based off of.

Tl;dr- Stephen is actually holding pink diamond's gem, not rose quartz, who was the one actually shattered. RIP.

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Mar 29, 2018

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Yeah and even then it'd be way more acceptable if Steven's dream powers were in any way consistent. Like sometimes he's appearing in a metaphorical representation of someone's mind (Chille Tid) or he's literally seeing through someone else's eyes but not in control of them (Blue) or sometimes he's body snatching (New Lars/arguably Super Watermelon Island) or sometimes he's just lucid dreaming but into someone else's dream? (Kiki's) And now this time he gets turned into a ghost and has to platform across gem statues to be able to talk to others?

I have zero problems with Steven Strange Universe using astral projection to solve problems but if it's different every time it starts to feel like an asspull.

to be fair, if anything in life is weird and inconsistent, it's dreams. Dreams are weird.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
My hot take on where the story will go from here, assuming they don't just stop when White Diamond is eventually resolved:

White Diamond isn't evil, they were probably the first gem or something, and were raised with an iron fist to do one thing, and do it well. Fight wars and expand and make more gems for the war.

The war is already over. The sneople have vanished, and their mortal foe the cookie cats haven't been seen for ages. But white either doesn't know that, like that one japanese guy who fought ww2 for like twenty years after it actually ended, or they were too directly involved in the war and they just can't let go. Even if they try, they probably have really awful PTSD.

When Steven does get White Diamond to stop, suddenly the sneople or cookie cats will appear. Maybe both. There's got to be something to it if even earth people know about the sneople, and Garnet's future vision did point out that cookie cats attacking were a distinct but probably extremely remote possibility when Steven borrowed it that one time. Even if he never considered the fact they might be evil.

Eventually Steven Universe solves their bloodfeud foreverwar, and the final shot of the series is a big party where sneople and cats and gems and humans all have an icecream luau together or something.

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
... Wait, so does this mean the diamond's bodypart space ships are made up of metrick fucktons of shattered gems? Is everything they have made of gems? :psyduck:

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010
I totally called Centi being Nephrite.

What's the significance of 413?

And yeah. There is definitely something wrong with white diamond.

Smash the matriarchy!

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 12:13 on Jul 23, 2018

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Focacciasaurus_Rex
Dec 13, 2010

Owlofcreamcheese posted:

White pearl literally never moves and speaks with the diamond's voice directly. She is for sure lobotomized and a puppet.

Just a doll for white diamond to play her twisted game of 'house' with.

Reminds me of that old "Cathy's house" Japanese sketch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6HFw8TNexyU

Focacciasaurus_Rex fucked around with this message at 19:00 on Jul 23, 2018