Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Roth posted:

Through the power of Tumblr search, I present the first thing I found:

I'm really coming around to this being a thing in general. Reminds me of a lot of my favorite pairings.

It is cute, but her hand is backwards.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

axleblaze posted:

But I'm just saying like they got the Rubys to leave in that spaceship and the only reason they had it was because they came back to ask if they wanted a lift m. They were screwed because the Rubys came back but they also would have been screwed if they hadn't come back.

You've got your timeline screwed up. Steven got sucked out into space after the Rubies showed up; if they hadn't come back the Crystal Gems (including Steven) would just have taken the warp pad home.

Or maybe you're asking how they would have gotten back since they took the ship to the moon, in which case this is the same moon base they visited in It Could Have Been Great and there's no reason to believe the warp pad doesn't work.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Whoops, you were right about the moon, mea culpa.

Something I noticed in "Earthlings" is that Jasper referred to Peridot's limb enhancers as "limb enhancers". I'd always figured that was part of Peridot's oddspeak (like we saw in... "Too Far"?), and it makes me wonder if that's a Homeworld thing rather than a Peridot thing. I wonder what Jasper would call a screwdriver or a telephone.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

RZApublican posted:

Lion 4: The Revenge

Just when you thought it was safe to go back in the lion...

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BigRed0427 posted:

So I heard from "Other Places" On the internet that the show was being canceled? Bullshit> Not Bullshit? Just a bunch of Youtubers going for click bait?

Absolutely bullshit clickbait, IIRC CN's already renewed it at least through season 5.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

src

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

BioEnchanted posted:

It seems like a rare character type for someone to be scatterbrained yet focused at the same time, so there isn't really an obvious archetype.. I'll have to think hard about that one, unless someone has a good descriptive term that I haven't heard of/ have forgotten...

Ruby. :colbert:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm just saying, we just had an episode about characters who hyper-focus on one thing to the exclusion of everything else, even when everything else is also really important.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

LemonLimeTime posted:

From what I recall the Crewniverse saying, season 5 is the last season because the show has a definitive ending. Right? I know at least the definitive ending part is true, I definitely recall Ian JQ or someone say that.

Given the import of a statement like this, you'd think it would be brought up in every discussion of the show's future if it were true.

I do recall someone saying "we're not going to just let this go on forever like Certain Shows We Won't Name" but I don't think anyone's said anything definite about an end date/final season/whatever.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Who What Now posted:

I don't know who this is. :shrug:

According to the Village Voice, he hates jazz and wants no part of your SoCal Garage-Rock scene.

quote:

The L.A.-via-NYC-via-Wisconsin garage-punk outsider is, put bluntly, anti-everything, but certainly not lacking in the shits'n'giggles department. In Krol's wacky world, nothing is sacred. The harmless provocateur has self-released junk-fi slabs with titles like I hate Jazz and Trust Fund.

He looks like Roy Orbison by way of Scott Pilgrim. e: okay, I listened to some of his music and I understand why people might like it but I have NO IDEA why anyone thought it would be a good match for Steven Universe.

Continued :shrug:.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 02:37 on Sep 4, 2016

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Waffleopolis posted:

Who voiced Mr. Frowney?

IMDB sez Brian George, one of those Hey, It's That Guy guys.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Data Graham posted:

Now if you think back over S1 you'll notice that the reveal of Garnet was seeded in lots of ways, some incredibly subtle.

My favorite: in the original intro, when Garnet has her name splash screen, two shooting stars fall over her head.

RandomPauI posted:

Okay, I'm testing the waters here. Are people willing to entertain the idea that Steven's development is stunted because he moved in with the Gems?

I thought we were pretty much taking that as a given since the last birthday episode. Is that not the common opinion?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

ol qwerty bastard posted:

G.U.Y.S.

Gems Under Your Supervision

I still don't think it's a coincidence that Steven called the Crystal Gems "my guys" during Steven Floats.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

LemonLimeTime posted:

Someone gave me the first season on DVD back then and I'm still ashamed to have it on my shelf. I can't sell it for anything so no one will buy it off me.

Donate it to the library. Share the pain. :getin:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
I'm surprised nobody has mentioned the best part of this episode: Vidalia painting Yellowtail like one of her French girls.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Kfroog posted:

It's imported from English though. Just abbreviated in the Japanese fashion. Animation.
If they'd borrowed the French term it probably would've ended up "imaani".

Yeah, this is the weirdest misconception. "animation" -> アニメーション ("animeeshon") -> アニメ ("anime") -> "anime".

French has "animé", but they're simple homophones; the only connection is that both "animé" and "animation" are from Latin "animo".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Remind me, lazyweb: has the in-universe year been established? Like, is there anything in the show to say it's specifically 2014, or 2769 Ab Urbe Condita, or...?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Waffleman_ posted:

It's the present.

That's what I figured, but I couldn't remember.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Whiz Palace posted:

I wish I could physically stop people from speculating when shows take place. It will never make sense, and "figuring it out" will never, ever be enjoyable.

I was thinking about putting together some "Mr. Universe East Coast Tour" fan-merch (from the "Story for Steven" era) and wondered if there'd been a calendar system mentioned so I could guess at a year to put on it. :shobon:

Also,

Blasphemeral posted:

Fixed that for you.

Seriously, some people have a helluva lot of fun working out timelines and piecing together clues.

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 19:06 on Sep 28, 2016

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
In the year 200X, a super gem named Steven was created. Rose Quartz created Steven to stop the evil desires of the Diamonds. However, after their defeat, the Diamonds created eight of their own gems to counter Steven.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

...who's she?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Does this episode mean that Steven's learned to make his shield selectively permeable (since he could make it let the heat through to cook the vegetables)?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

icantfindaname posted:

Looking at clips of original ATLA animation it's a lot better than I remembered it as (I thought it was worse than Korra? I guess not), but I maintain the aesthetic is way too generic and homogenized even if the technical animation is good. Same goes for Korra. Actual anime when it's well made has interesting animation from individual animators, the Korean Avatar stuff doesn't. It's well made, but just kind of bland, you know? I think SU is a much better looking show overall

I'm not sure why you keep going to the "Korea = bad" well. Steven Universe is animated by Sunmin and Rough Draft, both Korean studios.

"Stay on model when possible" vs. "animation leads add their personal style" is a production choice, not an animation-studio choice. It's fine if you prefer letting the storyboarder have input but it doesn't make stay-on-model animation bad.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

You could also make an animated kid friendly reboot of I Dream of Jeannie pretty easily too. Just put the characters in High school and it becomes your standard magical girlfriend anime.

Maybe :thejoke:, but they literally did this. Starring a pre-Star Wars Mark Hamill!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Olive Garden tonight! posted:

Steven: "I've never seen it snow like this before"

How about when you were trapped in that loving blizzard in another episode

You know there are different kinds of snowfall, right? "Winter Forecast" didn't have a lot of snowfall, but it was windy and bitter cold. ...the one where they were in Gem Canada also didn't have much snowfall, but it looked like it had been snowing for days. "Three Gems" didn't look like it had much wind or cold, but the snow was falling fast and hard - in the flashback sequence it looked like it was a couple inches an hour.

I mean, you don't have to like or accept that explanation, but it's one that keeps the show consistent. :)

(#notallblizzards)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

mfcrocker posted:

Oh Lars, truly the worst character on SU. Even beating out Onion.

The problem with Lars is that he's basically Peridot, but since Peridot's getting her development arc they can't do much with Lars without it feeling derivative, so he's stuck being the selfish, abrasive jerk.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

deadly_pudding posted:

Peridot is actually extremely confident about herself, which is basically the opposite of Lars. Even if she's doing something weird, like making abstract barn art or deciding to plant a farm for no reason, she leans fully into it and is super psyched about the project, and also is doing it for genuine self-actualization reasons instead of a shallow attempt to be liked.

I mean - the traits you're talking about are literally the result of the character arc I mentioned. When Peridot first showed up she was full of bluster and trying to look good to the one person whose opinion she actually cared about, Yellow Diamond. She didn't care who she hurt as long as Yellow Diamond was pleased with her. She was only composed when everything was going exactly the way she expected it to, and panicked and scrambled the second something slipped out of her control. She did nothing for self-actualization because she didn't really have a concept of self-actualization - she was a Peridot, she did Peridot things, the more Peridotty she was the better Yellow Diamond would like her. "Learning to care about other people as people, and to do things because she wants to and not because they make her look better" has been her arc so far. It would also be Lars's arc, if he got substantial development. (Island Adventure would have been a good start if Sadie hadn't hosed it up.)

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Roth posted:

Thursday, Feb. 2: “That Will Be All” – Steven and the Gems make a daring escape!

This is an alarming episode title.

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EasyEW posted:

My last contribution of 2016 is an attempt at a theory post. Once you see the topic, you'll understand why things went a little bit floppy.

Other questions: why are they line-drying now that they have a dryer? (My dryer's been busted since August and I will never line-dry again the day I can get a new one.) Why are Steven's jeans drying with their cuffs rolled up? In this screenshot you can see clothespins, but in several episodes the line is strung through the sleeves of Steven's shirts; how do they do that without taking the line down each time?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
"She took Greg?"
"Our Greg?"
"What other Greg is there?"

Also, Pearl referring to Greg as "our Greg" :3:

e: also, Pearl sporting some serious early-season-1 animation while she's piloting the Ruby ship, oy

SneezeOfTheDecade fucked around with this message at 13:19 on Jan 5, 2017

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Abrupt thought: what if White Diamond is was the fusion of Pink, Blue, and Yellow Diamonds?

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

EoRaptor posted:

The 3/4 diamonds logo one everything would look very different if that was the case.

I figured white being on top might be symbolic, but you're probably right.

JuniperCake posted:

White Diamond has a forehead gem based on the mural, none of the other diamonds do in the murals.

Fair point! :tipshat:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
https://twitter.com/foxville_art/status/817158640729812992

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Literally Kermit posted:

Blue this man! BLUUUUUEEEEEEEE!

Whoops, I blue myself!

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

Tupperwarez posted:

Speaking of, anyone think that whatever interaction the gang have with the Diamonds in this next arc is going to lead into finding a permanent cure for corruption? I'm imagining a scenario where they end up blasting Steven with the corruption song, but because he's a hybrid he can resist it enough to figure out how to undo it.

All he has to do is lick his fingers before he starts playing his ukulele. :banjo:

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

WarpedNaba posted:

Yeah, I don't get it. Aside from Mr Smiley, none of the humans are confirmed gay.

The gems are space rocks without sexual means of reproduction (with the usual question mark regarding Rose) - They're about as relevant to the LGBT scene as the Cthulhu pantheon.

I mean, kudos to Rebecca (SU deserves awards) but at this I'm mostly shrugging.

Star Trek Beyond is nominated for the ten-second scene with Sulu's husband; it looks like the criterion is "literally any LGBTQ+ content at all".

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts
Look, if we're going with the "Rose didn't actually shatter Pink Diamond" theory, I think everyone's overlooking that we have a character named PeeDee, who's Steven's friend and about his age.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SneezeOfTheDecade
Feb 6, 2011

gettin' covid all
over your posts

MariusLecter posted:

If pink diamond transmorphified into a half human form it'd be thousands of years old though?

Pink Diamond hid out on Earth for thousands of years before meeting and falling in love with Fryman.