Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From everything that Bismuth said, it sounds like Rose was not just telling gems that they could choose what they want to do and what they could be, she was encouraging them to push their limits, essentially helping them develop weird extra abilities in addition to fusion (and in fact encouraging them to be individuals might be mechanically the same as making them develop weird powers?). Homeworld's bizarre experimental weapons were a response to that, because you just can't mass produce inner self-discovery.

Also if you think about it, Earth was a maelstrom of blood and death compared to gem life, which adds a creepier element to how Rose loved the earth. By reincarnating into Steven, she may have even found a more thorough way for a gem to die rather than being split into incoherent bits or being put into indefinite bubble stasis.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Our Steven still had all the events of prior episodes happen to him, he only missed out on the Steven v. Steven rivalries. He did get to see how much of a jerk he could be to himself though.

There's a lot of questions to be asked though about what it means that the gems had some kind of time travel figured out 5,000 years ago. What alternate universe is what is a meaningless question.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's "know" and there's Know. Sometimes fandom cranks out very accurate theories as to what the creators are doing, but then sometimes they go off on wild tangents. A little while back, everyone "knew" that Rose was actually Pink Diamond, until all of a sudden, she couldn't possibly be. People tend to forget the theories that were wrong.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Combed Thunderclap posted:

Sudden realization: the Diamonds might have been able to nip the rebellion in the bud if A) Blue Diamond hasn't been so worried about the rebellion that she summoned a powerful clairvoyant to Earth and B) they weren't such sticks in the mud about fusion that Ruby and Sapphire fusing didn't give the rebels the chance to escape and then gain the favor of a powerful fusion.

Garnet was a drop in the bucket of all the gems that Rose managed to persuade over to her side. As Homeworld brought more gems to earth to fight the rebellion, they swelled Rose's ranks all the more. Ideology is the real zombie invasion.

Which also incidentally means that all zombie hordes can be used as analogies for populist uprisings.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think I liked this episode. Most of it is introspection about events that happened offscreen during the episode, and we the viewers are not a party to the actual introspection, we only see Stevonnie sitting pensively as a vague, mostly unrelated visual metaphor plays out. And all this in the name of training children to have the instinct to kill. Real great.

Pretty snazzy animation though. Real fluid amorphous blobs there.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

metalloid posted:

the literal embodiment of a lesbian relationship giving mindfulness and partnership advice to the literal embodiment of a straight relationship and it's all done so well. i love this show so much

I'm really uncomfortable with that analogy side of Stevonnie, because Steven is 14 and Connie is 12.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The real question about Pink Diamond is what Homeworld did with the shards. :tinfoil:

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I can't help but wonder if Rose wasn't a very different person from who Greg knew back during the rebellion, she did want to change after all.

She's a very kind and gentle person...to organics. She was inspirational to some of her fellow gems, but she also led a war against Homeworld that probably led to the most casualties in Gem history, all in the name of preserving these squishy things that to most Gems' pespective were just going to die anyways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Tuxedo Ted posted:

I'm kinda sad that the Utz chips don't appear any more. The Chaaaaaaaps are still great, though.

Perhaps there are multiple chip brands in this alternate earth.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Mr.Pibbleton posted:

I bet not all gems have learned how to summon weapons and that weapons can evolve over time making them even more unique to the gems, it'd explain why Pearl used swords before switching to her spear.

This is a valid alternative explanation.

I don't think there's any evidence that Pearl's gem weapon has ever not been a spear, she just keeps a bunch of swords around as knick knacks. I wouldn't be surprised if a bunch of them are human-made, although that obviously can't be the case for her pair of sabers in 3,300 BC.

I don't know what the whole deal is with Bismuth's weapon mods though, Pearl and Garnet seem like they ditched theirs, but Amethyst has been rocking her cat o' three tails still?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Garnet winds up being coptic somehow.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Why, why, why, why, WHY, why, why, why, WHYYYY, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why, why?

Not why did that guy build his weird thing, it's a big world, but why post it here?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just don't understand Onion and his fellow gang of feral children born without language. Is muteness a metaphor for how small children are impossible to understand? Was this all some kind of obtuse reference to Little Rascals? Was this episode just to touch on how Steven is actually fairly lonely because Beach City is a small town without many kids, without the risk of new characters grabbing audience attention?

I just don't know.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

There's no magical combination of episodes that'll sucker someone in. If they'll like the show, they'll like the show.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Well, they have a spaceship that can go find and pick up all the Rubies if they want, but is eternity in a bubble much better than eternity with a view of space?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I didn't know that they put out so much Pearl merchandise.

...wait...

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Connie's got a lot of conquest games. Civilization and Crusader Kings are one thing, but Age of Empires is a fast-paced RTS. I guess that's where she tones her killer instinct.

Hemingway To Go! posted:

Unfortunately animation and voicework ain't free

Hey, they did it for Gumball. They repurposed the channel later on for just generic clips of the show, but it started out as a mock version of Elmore's youtube feed.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

CK2's content isn't nearly as bad for children as its sheer density. Paradox games are an uphill battle to learn to control. Also weird when I think about it is Age of Empires 3, because that's about as old as Connie, and I thought that AoE 2 was the more acclaimed one for retro gamers. Also instead of Steam, this world has grid.

Also I guess this means that Steven doesn't have a "real" computer aside from his phone, which is a bit of a shame, but I guess he doesn't have any real reason for one. He's got no papers he needs to type, no high-powered games to play, no advanced computer needs, and the temple probably isn't hooked into the infrastructure to get a wired internet connection anyways. It's not like Greg's into computers at all either; he probably still uses an old adding machine for his taxes.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Next we'll be pontificating on whether Gems have nipples.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

White Diamond, Yellow Diamond, Blue Diamond, Pink Diamond.

Long ago, the four diamonds lived in harmony. Then everything changed when the Crystal Gems attacked. Only the Cluster, the combined might of thousands of gems could stop the terrorists, but when the gempire needed it most, it wasn't ready yet. 5,000 years passed, and now my robonoids and I have discovered the Cluster is ready, despite the planet's native lifeforms, "Stevens." Although its powers are great, we have a long way to go before we can activate it and it can destroy anyone. But I believe, the Cluster can destroy the world.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The Ayshkerbundy posted:

yes and no: no new episode next week, then a new episode the week after that, then the usual winter hiatus that all CN shows have

What do you want to bet that one of Cartoon Network's foreign branches will end up airing the next episode early again?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's nice that Lapis is coping with her 5,000 year trauma, and it's nicer just how uncomfortable Pearl is that she was unthinkingly complicit in the whole thing.

Also how about that new credit music? It sounds pretty ominous.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I never thought about it before, but it's a little weird how Greg set off to become a rock star and travel the country, and he plopped down and settled right near where his uncle's barn was. What a long journey.

And in all that time, he still never bothered to visit his relatives, even though they were right there. It casts him yelling at Pearl for taking Steven into space in a whole different light.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The idea is that the things that happened differently in the SU timeline affected everything else so that the butterfly affect changed everything to be some kind of weird knock-off brand version of our world. Instead of Pennsylvania there's Keystone, instead of NYC, there's Empire City, instead of Big Red, there's Guacola. There's probably similar off-brand versions of all the holidays too, but that might be a bit weirder to present to kids, so they work around it.

Hell, maybe in this alternate universe Mithraism became the dominant religion of Europe, but it was both Latinized and Germanified so much that it's mostly identical. Mostly.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'm pretty much a solid 15.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Gems don't have a soft and vulnerable stage of their lives. They may grow and change as people, but they're not supposed to. Pearl is overprotective of Steven because she knows humans can die and doesn't want Rose's last remnant to perish from this earth, but if a human's going to fight, might as well train them to do it at any age. 5,000 years ago, 13 was basically an adult anyways, and Pearl hasn't exactly kept track of the trends.

Pearl is like a mad scientist, she knows so much except for anything relating to human beings (or interpersonal relationships in general, really).

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It must have been really difficult to shatter Pink Diamond, considering how hard diamonds are. That or she must've had a hell of a lot of cleavage.

...you know, the structural weaknesses inherent in the crystalline structure along which you can break up crystals.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The gems have mostly stayed in their temple or in the vicinity if a warp pad in some old gem ruin for the bulk of the last 5,000 years, there hasn't really been much of a reason for them to interact with the rest of the town. Even during the Homeworld invasion, they knocked out power and prompted an evacuation, but they never ventured far enough from the temple to actually encounter the rest of Beach City. Even when the townsfolk seek out the gems, it's always Steven who answers the door; he's their buffer between them and the rest of human civilization, and it seems like he's mostly grown out of trying to treat the gems like humans and show them the glories of terrestrial living.

Maybe Peridot and Lapis might need to venture out for supplies or Amethyst will go off the reservation again, but other than that, I don't see much reason for the two worlds to collide again.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only real restriction seems to be whatever's considered a gemstone for jewelry purposes. I don't think jewelry that dissolves if you get it wet ever caught on.

I'd like to see a knockoff team though where all the members are differently colored glass.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

It's his right as a human being to be grumpy, and practically his responsibility as an adolescent to be frustrated and confused about his changing social world and his own ineptitude to adapt to it, as well as certain...things.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Oh yeah, and they didn't pick up the Rubies on the way back. They're still lost out in space somewhere.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I just caught up recently and I'm still processing all the new episodes in my head, here are some bullet points:

-The Amethysts have their little cubbies which are human-shaped indentations on the wall, just like their holes.

-Agate is a form of chalcedony, which itself is a variety of quartz (and moganite, but it's all SiO2 at the end of the day), so Holley Blue doesn't necessarily have rank over the amethysts/jasper/carnelian because she's a different caste, just she's made offworld under the direct jurisdiction of her diamond and may be older.

-Nerd theory: Maybe Homeworld doesn't have any iron? Of all the gems we've seen, the only ones with iron as an important part of their chemical constituents (usually just the impurities that give them their color) are ones that were created on earth, rose quartz, jasper, carnelian, amethyst. Rubies are red, like you would expect from iron, but they get their color from chromium.

The only possible exceptions are Lapis Lazuli, which normally has pyrite bits (FeS2), but the character doesn't seem to have any gold flecks at all, Garnet, which has iron in one of its varieties, but she's more of a dead ringer for the rhodolite variety (Mg3Al2(SiO4)3), and Peridot, which technically as a variety of olivine has a mix of Mg2SiO4 and Fe2SiO4, but it has much more magnesium than iron and Peridot was complaining about material shortages during her creation anyways.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I would love it if the Crystal temps somehow ended up doing office jobs for an episode. They already tempted us with barista Lapis.

Maybe they go to a place that somehow is still using floppies and Peridot accidentally wipes them all.

twistedmentat posted:

Rose wasn't made on earth, at least it hasn't been said she was. From dialog, I'd assume she was part of the first wave of conquest.

"Just another Quartz soldier made here in the dirt"

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

Lapis's character actually is changing, at a faster pace than any of the other characters right now. After she got back out of the ocean, she was dour and down on everything, but she's gradually been opening up and getting more cordial with everyone, and this episode, she's doing full blown goofs (I like her impressions in this episode). Only problem is that goofing around with her level of power means a can get a lot of people hurt. She's always had the right thing at heart, saving Steven from a truck when she's trying to keep it on the down low in the mirror, sending a warning when she's stuck in handjail, and indulging in other people's dumb ideas.

Both she and Peridot have a lot of work to do with regard to social skills, but that seems like a thing that a lot of Homeworld gems probably have issues with.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I feel like there aren't going to be any good reasons to bring back Jasper for a long while. She's in no state to get any information out of if they want to. If they want to experiment with trying to fix gem corruption, there's gems who don't have a ready grudge against Steven to try that with. I can't see anything but a very convoluted chain of events bringing her out of her bubble.

That being said, I'd love an episode where they do an inventory of bubbles. They may not know how to fix them, but Steven can still befriend them like he did with Centipeedle. There might also be some Homeworld gems in the pile that they could try and convert or talk to. Maybe revisit Bismuth. Imprisonment until the end of time doesn't really fit Steven's philosophy...although I guess he doesn't really know what to do with people who will never agree with him at this point.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

We still don't really know the details of Pink Diamond's shattering. It could've been intentional, it could've been something in the heat of battle, it could've been some kind of wacky mistake. The gems sure as hell aren't forthcoming, but Amethyst probably doesn't know, Garnet is unreliable, Bismuth was probably ignorant of a lot of the details, and Pearl is either respecting Rose's wishes or has some other secret thing going on.

The palanquin was fenced off for some reason. Does Blue Diamond visit often or is there some other stuff going on?

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I'd like the things from earlier missions in other episodes to get revisited, but then I'd also like it if there are just more episodes every so often where there's some new mission to go on in some hither-to unmentioned ruin, and just to normalize it all. I'd rather not think that all the gem ruins are just explored and done with.

Of course, out of all the artifacts that they've recovered, I think the Heaven and Earth beetles are towards the top of my list, or maybe the pillow or one of those other gem-powered mechanisms might have a person inside.

There's also that painting that Garnet had to burn, it might have something to do with gem corruption.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I don't think the gems really understand the importance of recounting history. The ones that were there remember what happened from their perspective, the ones that weren't, well, if it's not relevant why bother talking about, especially if it's a complicated or difficult topic. They didn't just never tell Steven, they never told Amethyst. In the ~4000 years she was around, the Palanquin was never relevant, there were never any associated artifacts to fetch or corrupted gem monsters hanging around that area to capture. Wherever Pink Diamond's shards are, they're in storage and not groping around with disembodied arms (or maybe she was cremated).

Steven is going to have to fight to get any specifics about the war out of Garnet and Pearl.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

I like how my first thought when I saw Steven's plastic outdoor furniture was that it'd blow away the first time the wind picked up, and then it did.

Weird episode though. I wonder what Rose used to do in that room. In most of the flashbacks she's been pretty spaced out and in her own world as it is.

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

The only new information about the would of SU in this episode is Connie's expectations of her mother and Steven's crappy plastic porch furniture. Everything else just comes straight out of Steven's head.

...Or does it?

...But it probably does.

...But what if it didn't?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SlothfulCobra
Mar 27, 2011

From her perspective, she had no reason to think that Steven would ever have to deal with the messes she left behind. Homeworld had been gone from Earth for 5,000 years. The only thing the gems still had to worry about was the occasional corrupt gem running amok. Now seemed as good a time as any for her to try this crazy new style of existence now that she had a man she was in love with who wouldn't be around if she tried mulling about it for another century.