Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

In non therapy terms: Some things in life (thoughts, fears, memories) cause anxiety and bad feelings, so it's tempting/reflexive to try to suppress them and ignore them. But it's much healthier and more productive to get yourself in calm mood and just look right at those anxieties, process them, and then you can begin to move on. It's about everything from an embarrassing social moment to a giant important fear.

If you're not a particularly anxious personality, this might not resonate with you as much, but that song hit me drat hard.

Some meditation things and therapy things are kinda based on elaboration/clarification of that basic concept.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 00:22 on Aug 26, 2016

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

One episode people often say is pointless is "Rising Tides, Crashing Skies". But also people often ask "what does human society think of having supernatural people just hanging out down the beach?" and that's the point of that episode. (The answer: like you'd think of a boring-but-occasionally-dangerous natural phenomenon. Steven is changing that though.)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Liked the new character. Liked the not-halloween and not-thanksgiving theme to it.

This episode though felt like an example of why it's good the show is usually 11 minutes. In lots of moments the pacing felt weird and the character interactions felt forced to me.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 03:52 on Nov 18, 2016

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

To enjoy Adventure Time through all of its seasons, you have to accept that it's inconsistent in tone, goals, and themes. Its whole thing (post-hoc) is letting different driving visions take the reigns and steer it in different directions. Each season has a somewhat different focus, each episode can be wildly different. It's been a place for storyboarders to prove themselves and experiment.

It's tied together by heart when an episode wants to focus on heart, by continuity when an episode wants to focus on continuity. It's convoluted not because every detail matters a ton, but because some details really mattered to some writers, and AT lets them run wild. Those details may matter again, or they may not.

So I really do recommend watching the whole show, and just rolling with the punches. There's some really great stuff in there, and it's fun to see the show branch and morph, as long as you can let go of any one idea of what it "should be".

On average, most episodes do stand alone just fine. It's just the super lore-focused episodes build on the past lore-focused episodes, and that whole scattershot approach can't possibly behave like a show with a singular guiding vision. Trying to follow the lore in detail [i]is[/] difficult, but it's unnecessary. I've forgotten most of seasons 2-6, only vaguely remember them enough to accept reminders when an episode drops them, but I'm enjoying the latest stuff plenty.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:19 on Feb 3, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I'm amazed next week's episode hasn't leaked yet.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

One thing that it did clarify (to us, Steven obviously got this already) was the timeline of "Rose bubbles Bismuth then later shatters Pink Diamond". Some people still weren't sure it wasn't the other way around. I think it's good and clear that this is the order of events, because it leaves room for "Bismuth wasn't entirely wrong".

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I will gladly watch a leaked episode as early as it's available (doesn't affect the amount of money or advertisement viewership I'd be contributing), but I can never fathom wanting to watch those clips from the beginnings of episodes. It's like, the episodes are already only 11 minutes long, why would you want to break off 1/5 of one as an awkward chunk?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Space Crabs posted:

I'm curious what the ships would even be. Jasper arrived on that giant green arm ship but yellow and blue diamond each had their own yellow and blue arm ships.

Who did the green ship belong to?

Is it just a bunch of random body part ships?

Peridot and Jasper's green ship was just a hand. I'd expect it was "peridot's ship" but just in a "it was assigned to this task and so was she" sort of way.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

is there a good leak yet, or just the handcam and 240p ones people mentioned earlier?

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

They seem kinda like assholes, planning the party as a potluck then bringing... soda, pizza, and 'assorted fruit.' They repeatedly turn out to be actually cool, mainly by being accepting and friendly, and by being open about the few things they do care about. But they definitely have that "competing to care the least about things" attitude that's normally a huge red flag.

Sadie's mom described her as "an adult" in this bomb. That makes sense for her, but leaves me more confused about the ages of all these other characters.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

It's not a leak if CN officially releases it for people to watch on purpose. If the app is the primary way CN is going to premiere episodes now, the black bars in this thread should probably begin to reflect that.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The first season is great because it starts with this close-zoom view of the world, POV'd to a kid who doesn't know much about anything beyond his (unusual) day-to-day, and then you gradually get hints at the bigger picture. The slow reveal of the big plot-y story, in the background of a monster-of-the-week-ish routine, is still the show's greatest trick. And none of it feels mis-aimed, since the show's heart is always actually on the characters and relationships.

If you first got into SU because of Jailbreak, going back and watching the first season will be rough no matter what, because all of the worldbuilding is already in your head. I imagine it'll feel like the show is spinning its wheels, like people sometimes say about modern episodes that don't focus on the space-opera stuff.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 07:13 on May 16, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

LemonLimeTime posted:

With the amount of previews that have leaked along with the info from the Make A Wish kid who got to meet Rebecca and see them in advance, we basically have already seen the episodes by now.

I mean, I'd think most of us actually like to encounter full episodes with pacing and story structure intact. Instead of getting a hodgepodge of ideas and clips, putting them together into a mostly coherent skeleton of an episode in our heads, and then later seeing them again with new bits fleshing it out in between.

I've never understood people's willingness to learn as much as possible about an episode or movie before seeing it. I guess if you don't value pacing or story structure or anything but bare plot information, then it's just as good for you?

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 23:44 on May 29, 2017

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

muscles like this! posted:

He just needs to figure out how to shout a teleport hole and bring everyone home.

I was thinking of that during the episode, but on further thought, Lion could barely shout a hole to the Moon.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I saw the zircon as yellow because my visual cortex functions normally and compensates for unusual lighting conditions. Didn't notice she "looked green" until someone in this thread posted an image of her isolated from the background.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

thexerox123 posted:

Uh, clearly your visual cortex is just inferior. :smug:

Hey, I confidently said scientific-sounding words therefore I win, you can't make fun of me.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Attack The Light was amazing as a mobile game. More depth than most of what you'd play on your phone, but still with that relaxed pace that's appropriate for a phone game. My interest in Save The Light plummeted just by hearing it wasn't mobile.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I feel like the kind of people, like me, who'll come back happily for an occasional episode drop but not give a poo poo the other 9 months of the year, are also the sort of people who'll just watch a bootleg upload somewhere, like I do.

The show definitely deserves stronger engagement than that, but I don't think the schedule has earned it, especially from kids, for whom 'a few months' is long enough to switch up everything you care about multiple times.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I wish this thread was closed whenever there wasn't an episode within the last month.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Count me as another who'd expect to hate this twist, but the specifics of it work so well that it's actually good.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Rose is shortsightedly kind, full of good intentions but utterly inconsiderate.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The perfect word I think is "inconsiderate". She's excited and joyful and doesn't stop to try to see other perspectives or consequences.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

At the end of the series, after Steven and the humans have defeated or befriended the entire gem species, the last holdout goes back in time and creates gems anew, with one primary mission: Destroy organic life. This time, surely, they will stop the Great Friendship War before it starts.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Fusions are a depiction of "what if the relationship between these people was itself a person?". They're metaphors manifest.

In the case of a bunch of gems who haven't broken away much from their assigned role, merging with others of the same, that relationship is "we're all doing the same thing" and the way to depict that is a bigger version of them. I bet if two rubies who'd grown extensively as people and had a pretty complex relationship with each other fused, they'd look like a very unusual ruby-ish gem who isn't just a normal ruby scaled up.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:26 on May 18, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

David Sirlin is a great game designer but he's definitely been held back by his obsession with that cast of uninspiring fighting-game characters he came up with. I think I saw he was making an actual fighting game with them recently, so hopefully that gets it out of his system.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I believe you'll find the true answer is "a few dozen seasons, most of which are 4-6 episodes long"

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I honestly wish they'd do *more* one-off lore bits like the beetles, the time orb, or that ocean tower that needed a statue to stay up. If you commit too hard to having every bit of lore fit in a tidy predictable grid, you lose the ability to evoke mysteriousness or awe.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I mean, it will never come up in the story because nobody will successfully "test" it by killing the main character of this positive-spirited cartoon, so it'll forever remain a mystery without an answer in-story. But if the question is bothering you, just go with "Steven dying would shatter the gem", even if only for the meta reason of "the possibility of Steven dying to bring back Rose ruins everything thematically so the writers probably have ruled it out."

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 05:52 on Jul 12, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Did we see anyone using Bismuth's upgrades during the year she was re-bubbled? Not sure if I just didn't notice them again until this episode, or it's a thing that only persists with her presence (teamwork!).

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

nine-gear crow posted:

Pictured: Suburban housewife and her three idiot daughters [source] (All four Diamonds as drawn by Rebecca Sugar herself)

I like the detail that here, White is depicted with closed eyes, Blue and Yellow have two variations of partly-open eyes (constant side-eye, constant crying), while Pink's eyes are wide open.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The fact that the ships clearly make a voltron means that it's inevitable that Steven teams with the other diamonds at some point.

And in that light, I feel like we can already see White's character arc. She's super sweet-sounding but it's condescending and a thin and brittle facade over being totalitarian and short-tempered, but we eventually learn that she's developed that way because she feels the meed to maintain some big lie for the sake of gemkind, and Steven sees behind that curtain, and the fact that he's seen behind the curtain forces her to show him some respect despite the fact that he strongly opposes the lie (and the entire militaristic purpose she directs society towards) but some circumstance forces them to work together at some point and in the middle of that her lie falls apart in front of society at large.

But of course, that's both incredibly vague and likely far less than 100% right, especially considering we JUST had a huge well-executed surprise.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Bismuth will have built a new house by the time they get back.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

shame on an IGA posted:

I laughed at first because it was like wow this is the level of over the top irony signalling that it takes to make 2018 nazi jokes 2008 nazi joke funny

Turns out a good portion of those in 2008 weren't actually jokes, either.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Does it seem likely that STL will ever end up on phones? ATL was the best game I ever played on my phone, and so I've kinda been hoping the sequel would follow that up. (if not, I'll get it for my computer)

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The pieces of a shattered gem remain partly conscious. If their remains are ground into a powder it remains animate. They don't age. It's not impossible they have limited lifespans, but I'd take "they're immortal" as a strong working assumption.

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 01:00 on Aug 3, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Steven isn't going to "lose his gem" even temporarily. He is a gem, and a human, not a human with a gem stuck on. If he could exist separate from the gem that used to be Rose and now is half of him, that'd pretty thoroughly invalidate the core of how he relates to her.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

The Simpsons is older than I am, by a month. And due to a curse, The Simpsons will outlive me by a month as well.

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

Bright is one of those movie that I'm aware others like, but I am personally extremely unfond of. My reasons for disliking it are covered pretty thoroughly in this video, which I recommend watching even if you liked the movie because it has some interesting things to say about world building and the trouble with allegory: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gLOxQxMnEz8

Yeah, I was about to recommend the same video. It does a great job of figuring out exactly how Bright wasted its potential. If you liked Bright, don't worry, she focuses more on what we can learn from the example than on just bashing the film for bashing's sake. Not that mocking is entirely absent.

I love the small part of film youtube that understands and focuses on film storytelling (as opposed to the much larger part of film youtube that just picks apart every plot as if it were a mechanical list of events).

Ditocoaf fucked around with this message at 21:59 on Nov 17, 2018

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

I get the feeling that they're introducing weirdass wall people and pebbles and the like in order to show how much Gem society depends on menial, low-rank gems.

Will Steven overcome the Diamonds with force, or with empathy? Empathy is the standard direction for this show and for his character, but "be good even to facist dictators and they'll eventually turn their rule benevolent" seems like a bad message, but force seems futile against such a power discrepancy.

The answer is both! Emphasize, with the rest of gem society, fostering a rebellion of the lower classes.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ditocoaf
Jun 1, 2011

drrockso20 posted:

Cause the show has yet to present any options otherwise

The show is introducing large numbers of working-class gems fundamental to the functioning of gem society, and demonstrating that many-if-not-most of them are only loyal from fear. How much of Gem infrastructure consists of living beings, like those wall-people and the pebbles?