Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Is this show
Gay?
Sad?
Sad and Gay?
What the hell is wrong with you people?
View Results

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Motherfucker posted:

I loving hate smokey quartz.

U MOTHERFu... uh. hmm. oh.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Space Cadet Omoly posted:

What's at that spot?

A fancy kazoo for Steven, didn't you hear the question that Zoltron was answering?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Nothing in SU is ever just one thing. Mr. Smiley and Mr. Frowny had a previous relationship. The emotional beats are the same whether it was a purely business relationship or code for a romantic relationship. If it's important to you that they're gay, then they can be gay. If it's important to you that they're not gay then they're just super good friends and also cousins.

Trying to say that anything in this show is only one thing and anyone who thinks it's something else is wrong is just... not paying attention, honestly.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think the point is that the show has put a lot of work in getting to the point where 'Pearl meets cute with a woman' isn't a Very Special Episode. The show doesn't feel any need to point out "Hey look! Lesbians!" because it can assume if you've made it this far, you're already on board with those themes.

The fact that it's telling a story where, in the context of this one specific story, the genders of the characters doesn't matter isn't, I think, erasure, because the entire rest of the show has worked so hard to get to a point where it doesn't have to be a big lesson to the normies about what lesbians are, and can actually just tell a story with lesbians.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

GunnerJ posted:

This reminds me that I really don't like the "new" version of the opening theme and sequence. Its syncopation is just so... smug.

It sounds better in the full version, somehow. Just jumping to the middle of the song for the intro is kind of jarring.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Don't worry too much about the rubies. It was already physically impossible for them to get sucked out into space like that to begin with, the escape velocity of the moon isn't THAT low. So, since we're operating under Cartoon Space Physics, not real physics, anything can happen. They can Little Prince a passing flock of space geese and come back at any narratively appropriate moment, it's fine.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

His eyes were closed, so he technically didn't see it snow.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
God drat I love the way this show uses double meanings.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I recommend caring about things so that you can continue to enjoy the show.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
This episode was necessary because if Steven can't friendship a mere Ronaldo into submission how is he supposed to friendship the diamonds?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It's a quick little thing, but I think the last moment actually shows some nice character growth for Garnet. She totally saw the possibility of Navy just stealing the ship; that's why she also brought the 'sorry for your loss' balloon. But by now, she's willing to accept a long-odds chance if the payoff is good enough instead of just bulling ahead with 100% confidence in the most likely outcome.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

My favorite part is that you can just barely hear Rebecca Sugar struggling not to lose her poo poo.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I kind of a got a Meredith Gran vibe from some of the animation in Sadie Killer.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

The_Doctor posted:

Yeah, I have to imagine Greg is at least sensible enough to have registered Stephen's birth, etc.

Maybe not on his own, but we already saw that Vidalia helped him out with the How Baby?? basics.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Man, Greg just continues to be the Best Dad all the time, doesn't he?

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I loved the touch of Amethyst gently teaching Peridot how to interact socially. She really is growing into the most emotionally mature of the gems.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

Why did they decide to make this show so good?

To make the scheduling that much more painful!

Non double-posting edit: So, Steven has these psychic dream powers, and as far as I remember nothing we've seen suggested that Rose/Pink had any powers like that? It's interesting that Steven has a unique diamond-scale power all of his own. It kind of makes me think of how Garnet's powers aren't just Ruby's+Sapphire's powers. Steven isn't a fusion, exactly, but he also sort of is? In some sense, he's the physical existence of Rose and Greg's relationship; he's different than just Rose reformed.

Tendales fucked around with this message at 04:00 on Jul 7, 2018

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
On rewatch, I think this line needs a little more appreciation.
"Gems, humans, lions of all sizes, Onion"

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

chitoryu12 posted:

I do wonder what that weird psychic dimension Steven entered is. We’ve never seen him enter something like that, always dreams or body surfing.

It almost makes me wonder if that’s where Gems go when they get poofed.

I don't think it's a "real" place. It's just the standard issue dreamscape to represent him doing psychic child things.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It kind of makes sense for it to look organic. Organisms are themselves just clusters of cells working together.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I think it just comes down to the show being more interested in "how do we fix this awful thing" than "how do we punish this awful person?"

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

Satchel and Trunk posted:

I think Marty was the first one to confirm that Greg really only likes large women.

Marty prefers multiple small ones, on the other hand.

Can't wait for Marty to discover the Ruby crew. (And be destroyed by them)

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Episode was good, and foreshadowed us the martial technique that Steven will use to defeat... I have no idea WHO at this point, but someone is getting smooched on the nose.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

I think my biggest point of confusion is... why do the Diamonds miss Steven and make such a big deal of him being gone? The warp pads are like... instant. He could pop in for an hour every day and it'd barely cut into his day.

Maybe I've been reading the estranged parents threads too much lately, but the Diamonds' behavior was extremely recognizable.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
Re: how neatly things wrapped up with Spinel going to live with the Diamonds, I think it's still at least pretty true to the character development at that point. The contrived part is that the Diamonds just happen to show up right at the most narratively convenient moment, but that's just how stories go.

The Diamonds are desperate for even a little bit of what they used to get from Pink, so of course they'd jump at the opportunity to have their very own Spinel (Who, as a bonus, can tell them stories about Pink). Spinel, on the other hand, I think is approaching the relationship a lot more cynically. She knows there's nothing she can do to really make up for the harm she's done to Steven and Earth and the CGs, but what she CAN do is redirect the attention of Steven's overbearing triple grandmas. She can never truly be the innocent playmate that she was made to be, but she'll pretend if it helps a little.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012

ApplesandOranges posted:

I only just realised that Pearl was pronouncing bass like the fish and thought it was like a typical ESL problem of where one gets confused that multiple words with the same ending letters can sound different. So she’d think ‘bass’ sounds like ‘rear end’.

It makes more sense if Pearl is just trolling the hell out of Greg. Which also makes a nice :3: sign of how their relationship has evolved over time.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I kind of feel like, similar to how a fusion is the physical manifestation of a relationship, Steven is the physical manifestation of PD's desire to be a better person.

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
It helps that there's enough representation, both literal and coded, that Garnet can represent a black woman without having to represent all black women.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tendales
Mar 9, 2012
I just about died when Pearl told Bismuth to show off more cleavage.